Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 281 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #8401 of 8819 Old 08-11-2014, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 11
...be interesting if we could find out the timetable on Grit-TV coming to WBTV 3.3. There is no test pattern yet, and the channel is not even active currently.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8402 of 8819 Old 08-11-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
...be interesting if we could find out the timetable on Grit-TV coming to WBTV 3.3. There is no test pattern yet, and the channel is not even active currently.
I did a scan earlier today and there is nothing that I can receive. And the station hasn't submitted anything for a guide info according to schedules direct. i.e. Tribune.
post #8403 of 8819 Old 08-11-2014, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Doesn't this mean you could (if you wanted to) run The Andy Griffith Show on both 18.1 and 18.3, since WCCB owns (or has recently owned) the local syndication rights to the show? MeTV's rights are on the national level. When AntennaTV was on 46.2, its nightly hour of Sanford and Son often aired at the same time that Sanford and Son was on WMYT 55.1 at 10:30 PM (at which time it still airs). Seems to indicate that local syndication rights and national syndication rights are strictly apples-to-apples, and not apples-to-oranges. In other words, MeTV and AntennaTV can't both run a show, just like WCCB and WJZY can't both run a show. But either MeTV or AntennaTV <and> either WCCB or WJZY could both run the show in the same market.
I emailed WSPA TV engineer since their program director has left and their GM is handle the program service now and WSPA TV engineer is checking checking on a answer to my question about andy griffith show or mayberry rfd on METV.

since Andy Griffith is airing at 7-8pm on WYCW
post #8404 of 8819 Old 08-11-2014, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
I did a scan earlier today and there is nothing that I can receive. And the station hasn't submitted anything for a guide info according to schedules direct. i.e. Tribune.
Grit Tv starts aug. 18 states website.
post #8405 of 8819 Old 08-11-2014, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
I emailed WSPA TV engineer since their program director has left and their GM is handle the program service now and WSPA TV engineer is checking checking on a answer to my question about andy griffith show or mayberry rfd on METV.

WSPA also air Andy Griffith from 7-8pm Saturdays on 7.1.
post #8406 of 8819 Old 08-11-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
WSPA also air Andy Griffith from 7-8pm Saturdays on 7.1.

Yes I know about the 7-8pm Saturdays on 7.1 and 9-10pm on Saturdays on 62.1
post #8407 of 8819 Old 08-11-2014, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realoldman View Post
Grit Tv starts aug. 18 states website.
Indeed it does. But there was no sign of it yesterday here in CLT as there was with Escape. (see above) and WCCB's upcoming switch of QVC to Antenna TV.

The scheduling info can be changed very fast.

I have no clue the lead time for the station to add the stream to their existing broadcast, but I assume that could happen fast too. Though, I'd also assume they might want a little testing. Maybe a "Please Stand By" Indian head test pattern for a few days.

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-12-2014 at 12:07 AM.
post #8408 of 8819 Old 08-12-2014, 03:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Indeed it does. But there was no sign of it yesterday here in CLT as there was with Escape. (see above) and WCCB's upcoming switch of QVC to Antenna TV.

The scheduling info can be changed very fast.

I have no clue the lead time for the station to add the stream to their existing broadcast, but I assume that could happen fast too. Though, I'd also assume they might want a little testing. Maybe a "Please Stand By" Indian head test pattern for a few days.
They might not have a Satellite set up at 105W to pick this up as of yet.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #8409 of 8819 Old 08-12-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
I made additional encoder changes earlier today. See if it is any better now and let me know.
The situation with the captions has improved. I can read them now, but there is still a small issue with the captions flashing off and back on, intermittently. But at least they are in sync with the dialogue, seem to be there in their entirety, and are not disappearing before you can read them. That is a first (for me) in the 3 1/2 years that MeTV has been on 18.3. Thanks.
post #8410 of 8819 Old 08-12-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
They might not have a Satellite set up at 105W to pick this up as of yet.
That could be true. As they have used 3.3 before, so all they may have to do is flip a switch.
post #8411 of 8819 Old 08-12-2014, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

It will be interesting to see if they get it online by Monday. I seem to remember when I was using EIT before I setup MythTV, that this station routinely would lose all their scheduling info over the weekend. Maybe they don't know they are supposed to set it up.

On the other hand, their on-air stuff seems pretty flawless these days. I guess we will find out in a few days.
post #8412 of 8819 Old 08-12-2014, 09:07 AM
A J

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I depend on PSIP program guides for point-and-click recordings with my OTA DVR. For anything beyond the duration of PSIP I have to use Titan to find out what's showing and manually set date, channel, start and stop times like an old VCR. So, PSIP is important to me. Manual timings are a major PITA.

Three of our locals, WSOC (9), WTVI (42), and WAXN (64) are outstanding, normally displaying 72 hours (3 full days) of PSIP.

Three other locals, WCCB (18), WCNC (36), and UNC-TV (58) normally have 24 hours of PSIP.

The worst three, WBTV (3), WJZY (46), and WMYT (55) have 12 hours PSIP, or less. When I checked shortly after 11:00 this morning, WJZY and WMYT had PSIP to 8:00 PM (9 hours) and WBTV had PSIP through 11:00 PM (12 hours).

The Feds only require minimal PSIP, but would it really cost any more for stations to give us their programming guide for at least 24 hours (and, hopefully match the 72 hours of the leaders of the pack)? Any station engineers with any pull? Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Last edited by A J; 08-12-2014 at 09:22 AM.
post #8413 of 8819 Old 08-12-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
The cable industry did a wonderful job spinning that in their favor. Meanwhile the OTA stations did nothing to let people know that they could now get TV via free OTA and with digital, there was more choice, a better picture than they ever got on cable, subchannels, etc etc etc. So lots of people still think that OTA is long gone.

I could easily start up a business down there putting up antennas via word of mouth, but fortunately I don't need to be paid to climb up on people's homes.

The point, is there is a huge market here which could be exploited by the the OTA broadcasters but they choose to stay drunk on carriage fees. It's their loss in the long run.
If you could find someone to do an install, it now runs close to the $400 - $500 mark, pretty much an hour long job, the few that do installs exploit the fact of the ever increasing cable costs. Me being in a cluster home, I didn't want the liability of messing with the common roof.... & a lack of a high enough ladder & spotter is a detriment too.

Crime Warner (or whoever was running the franchise) in 2009 sent out flyers saying the only way to get local TV would be to sign up with them.
post #8414 of 8819 Old 08-12-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post

Look like WSPA TV METV will also be airing Andy Griffith show as i just got a reply from WSPA about their Schedule for the fall.
post #8415 of 8819 Old 08-12-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
If you could find someone to do an install, it now runs close to the $400 - $500 mark, pretty much an hour long job, the few that do installs exploit the fact of the ever increasing cable costs. Me being in a cluster home, I didn't want the liability of messing with the common roof.... & a lack of a high enough ladder & spotter is a detriment too..
In the cord cutters subreddit, some guy there said he charged $700 to do an antenna install, plus whatever antenna you needed. For a lot of people however even this insane amount only represents 5-6 months worth of cable TV charges.

In my Mom's case, who got the whole thing purchased and installed for free, TWC immediately cut her bill by $104/month when we took the receiver down to their local office. So it's quite a savings even if you do have to pay for an install. For me, the installer, it cost ~$60 for the antenna & mount and another $8 for a galv. steel water pipe to mount it with when I got there. (these pipes don't fit in a Mercedes. sedan. LOL ) I already had a spool of cable, compression connectors, grounding supplies and of course the knowledge to pick the right antenna and install it. The install probably took less than 2 hours.

So if you were started a business, knew what in the hell you were doing, young (I'm in good shape for 50+ but there are limits), and could tap the demand, there is a lot of money to be made here.

----------------

Depending upon where you live, if it is here in CLT, you might be able to get away with a wall mount. It will eliminate the need to get on a roof. My Mom's house is actually a modern style "kit" house that Lowes used to sell in the 1960s & 70s before they became a distributer for the the Chinese communist workers. It's very well built so the install wasn't that bad. I ended up using a wall mount to get the antenna above the roofline.

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-12-2014 at 01:23 PM.
post #8416 of 8819 Old 08-12-2014, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
To answer the question about Grit TV and WBTV. Bounce, Escape TV and Grit TV are not only on the same satellite, they are on the same transponder. They are different services. Grit is running a loop just as Escape is. WAXN is not running the Escape loop for a technical reason. Escape and Grit both start national programming at 12 noon eastern on 8/18/14.

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

post #8417 of 8819 Old 08-13-2014, 06:15 AM

My uncle (and family, who live in the Greeville-Spartanburg-Asheville market) was here for a visit yesterday. He said there is a push on where he lives to get the broadcasters to stop broadcasting over the air, and make people pay. He said broadcasters could scramble their signal, and require a desktop box to decode it off the air. As I inquired further, he was talking about the ads (which also run here) about pay-TV-providers lobbying Congress to stop free TV. This situation is self-perpetuating - people see those ads and word of mouth reinforces in peoples minds what is supposedly happening. Given the politically-correct culture to not do anything to hurt the poor, I don't believe anything can or will happen to stop broadcast TV. There are some of us who could afford pay-TV but don't want to throw away the money, but the majority who watch OTA TV are not among the affluent, so I just don't see a broadcast ban ever happening.
post #8418 of 8819 Old 08-13-2014, 06:39 AM
A J

WBT radio dropped this tidbit this morning during drivetime. The announcer (don't know his name) said that the "NFL wants to protect football from free TV".
post #8419 of 8819 Old 08-13-2014, 06:54 AM
A J

Anyone else notice any glitches on WCCB 18.1 and 18.3 lately? It is one of the strongest stations I receive, pegging 10 bars on both my TVs and always registering 95% signal strength or more on my DVR. Reception was always rock solid until just recently when I started seeing momentary pixelation and audio dropouts, both while watching live and on DVR recordings. None of the other locals have been affected.

This morning on Rising, I was seeing this problem so I brought the meter on screen to see if it fluctuated. It stayed solid 10 bars while the pixelation and audio dropouts were occurring. I have never seen this happen before on any station.
post #8420 of 8819 Old 08-13-2014, 07:23 AM

Your second paragraph answers the only question I would have had on this - it would seem to be in the broadcast, based on your signal meter not fluctuating when this occurs. Hopefully Bob will see your post and can reply with his thoughts.

I have a similar intermittent terrible issue with the three WMYT channels. But it's because I have a Charlotte antenna hooked into the DVR (which is because I DVR some shows off of WCCB and WSOC and they are east of where I live). With my western antenna hooked directly into the TV, there are never any issues with the Gaston County Quad (WBTV, WCNC, WJZY, and WMYT). Even with one of my Charlotte antennas hooked into the DVR, WCNC and WJZY are rock solid. WBTV is 99% of the time, but occasionally when I DVR "Unsealed: Alien Files" late on Saturday night, the signal is just gone. It's feast or famine with WBTV - either 80% plus or nothing.

When Shawn Harris was still at WJZY/WMYT, he told me the signal issues with WMYT were because of a contention with the signal from WHKY in Hickory.

Last edited by OTA-DVR-guy; 08-13-2014 at 07:29 AM.
post #8421 of 8819 Old 08-13-2014, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
Anyone else notice any glitches on WCCB 18.1 and 18.3 lately? It is one of the strongest stations I receive, pegging 10 bars on both my TVs and always registering 95% signal strength or more on my DVR. Reception was always rock solid until just recently when I started seeing momentary pixelation and audio dropouts, both while watching live and on DVR recordings. None of the other locals have been affected.

This morning on Rising, I was seeing this problem so I brought the meter on screen to see if it fluctuated. It stayed solid 10 bars while the pixelation and audio dropouts were occurring. I have never seen this happen before on any station.
Bob I have noticed this as well. It's been happening since the weekend for me... Sorry can't remember exactly which day it started, I figured it was me but now that others have mentioned it I checked and my signal seems to be strong as well. I noticed it again last night during Big Bang Theory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #8422 of 8819 Old 08-13-2014, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have Charter and WCCB was breaking up really badly this past weekend. I ended up turning off The Big Bang Theory because it got so bad.
post #8423 of 8819 Old 08-13-2014, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
Bob I have noticed this as well. It's been happening since the weekend for me... Sorry can't remember exactly which day it started, I figured it was me but now that others have mentioned it I checked and my signal seems to be strong as well. I noticed it again last night during Big Bang Theory.
There is no shortage of TV stations on channel 27, other than WCCB. I get glitches early in the morning on some stations, (usually not on WCCB) which I blame on co-channel interference. I would not think that tropospheric mischief would happen as early as Big Bang Theory, though, but its possible.I have seen strange skipping on UHF summer afternoons and early evening . I doesn't take a lot of extraneous signal for a TV decoder to skip a few beats.
post #8424 of 8819 Old 08-13-2014, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by difuse View Post
There is no shortage of TV stations on channel 27, other than WCCB. I get glitches early in the morning on some stations, (usually not on WCCB) which I blame on co-channel interference. I would not think that tropospheric mischief would happen as early as Big Bang Theory, though, but its possible.I have seen strange skipping on UHF summer afternoons and early evening . I doesn't take a lot of extraneous signal for a TV decoder to skip a few beats.
That's why initially I didn't report anything, but now that others in different geographic areas (including one receiving the channel via cable) have reported the same findings it seems like something is up. To me it was almost like a "pause" in the video & audio... the feed will freeze for a brief second, then it would catch up and move on. It wasn't the usual signal breakup pixellation, at least not for me.
post #8425 of 8819 Old 08-13-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
None of the Grit affiliates have lit up yet to my knowledge, yet their sister Escape has lit up here on 61.4 & showed a movie on Monday night but are running a promo loop now.

Quote:
WBT radio dropped this tidbit this morning during drivetime. The announcer (don't know his name) said that the "NFL wants to protect football from free TV".
Meaning they want it as exclusive pay?? (& I imagine people will be willing to pay).... yeah the sports leagues will be the first to strongarm you into pay services.... me, I would just lose interest in the sport.

I lost interest in the Indians & Cavaliers when they went to an exclusive contract with Sports Faux Ohio.. couldn't follow them aside of radio as I will be one that will never buy into pay television.

I think our locals pick up about a half dozen games of each of the Cav's & Indians now, though without a TV Guide I never know when.
post #8426 of 8819 Old 08-13-2014, 10:38 AM

Real NFL coverage comes not from the NFL, but from CBS, NBC, Fox, and occasionally ABC if it's playoff time. Espn coverage doesn't compare. So try telling the broadcast networks they can no longer broadcast, but still have to cover the games. Never happen...
post #8427 of 8819 Old 08-13-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I didn't here that part this morning, as my drive in time isn't long. However, it might be related to a story about a former FCC member wanting to do away with NFL game blackouts (when games aren't sold out) and NFL retorted back that they may then charge to see the games on TV.

I think the Panthers had a few games that did not sell out, but Richardson (or someone) bought up all the seats so it would be locally broadcasted.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/T...ut-Rule-130038
post #8428 of 8819 Old 08-13-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
None of the Grit affiliates have lit up yet to my knowledge, yet their sister Escape has lit up here on 61.4 & showed a movie on Monday night but are running a promo loop now. ....
No promo here, but the blinking square is gone replaced by the typical color bars and a partially scrolling black bar that uncovers WAXN-Kannapolis WAXN-TV3. And a constant not very pleasant tone.

It's a rare thing to see a test pattern on a real TV station these days since they stay on the air 24/7 now.
post #8429 of 8819 Old 08-13-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
It's a rare thing to see a test pattern on a real TV station these days since they stay on the air 24/7 now.
I'll bet it reminds you of your days in the crib, watching TV through the bars, huh?

Last edited by OTA-DVR-guy; 08-13-2014 at 12:03 PM.
post #8430 of 8819 Old 08-13-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
Bob I have noticed this as well..
Should be more better now CP, we had a multiplexer randomly dropping out and has been replaced.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page