post #8431 of 9058 Old 08-13-2014, 01:00 PM
A J

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
Real NFL coverage comes not from the NFL, but from CBS, NBC, Fox, and occasionally ABC if it's playoff time. Espn coverage doesn't compare. So try telling the broadcast networks they can no longer broadcast, but still have to cover the games. Never happen...
Hopefully you are right. But, if a contract could be negotiated between the NFL and the networks which would result in a higher profit margin for the networks, is there any law that would prevent them from broadcasting alternative programs OTA while sending NFL game feeds to cable/satellite providers? This wouldn't be too different from what is currently done when games are blacked out.

I cringe at the thought, but business is business and profit is a powerful motivator.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8432 of 9058 Old 08-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
WAXN will run the promo as soon as we get the hourly ID automated, thats why the bars are there. The promo is 20 seconds of the word ESCAPE flying around. Believe me you aren't missing anything. The GRIT TV promo is a cowboy sitting around a fire. Regardless of what is being posted here on this forum. The national kick-off is 12 noon Monday, I have spoken to VP of programming myself.

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

post #8433 of 9058 Old 08-13-2014, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I certainly believe anything you say about WAXN, but since Grit TV will be on a competitor (per my understanding), that would mean a different contract, carriage agreement, etc. so I wonder if WBTV will have all of that set by Monday.
post #8434 of 9058 Old 08-13-2014, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
so I wonder if WBTV will have all of that set by Monday.

True, I have no way of knowing about WBTV's plans. I do know the national kick-off time and date. Depending on what type of encoder they have, 3.3 should appear overnite Sunday. Some encoders you can add a stream with a little bump, some it breaks the whole SMPTE 310 stream and its a 10 second reset.

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

post #8435 of 9058 Old 08-13-2014, 02:01 PM

Thanks. What can you tell us about why we don't see additional sub-channels added to channel 9? That would seem to provide more revenue than adding them to 64, based on the coverage area.
post #8436 of 9058 Old 08-13-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
I'll bet it reminds you of your days in the crib, watching TV through the bars, huh?
I don't quite remember that. But I do remember when it was only two channels because my Dad wouldn't put the antenna on a rotor. (cable had yet to reach that part of town) He said TV would rot your brain. I had to go across the street to my friend's house to watch Ultraman.

No remote control then either.
post #8437 of 9058 Old 08-13-2014, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
That's why initially I didn't report anything, but now that others in different geographic areas (including one receiving the channel via cable) have reported the same findings it seems like something is up. To me it was almost like a "pause" in the video & audio... the feed will freeze for a brief second, then it would catch up and move on. It wasn't the usual signal breakup pixellation, at least not for me.
Thankfully you more completely described what your problem was, and Bob reported a likely culprit , otherwise, I might have started doing arithmetic to figure a new menace.... which would not have actually harmed me, but, would have made my head hurt. Thanks to both of you.
post #8438 of 9058 Old 08-13-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
I don't quite remember that. But I do remember when it was only two channels because my Dad wouldn't put the antenna on a rotor. (cable had yet to reach that part of town) He said TV would rot your brain. I had to go across the street to my friend's house to watch Ultraman.

No remote control then either.
I wanted a rotor too, but had to reach adulthood and then buy my own.

But my memory goes back to a 21-inch black-and-white TV on four legs, that only got channels 2-13. That means 3 and 9 were all we got, so a rotor would not have helped back then.
post #8439 of 9058 Old 08-13-2014, 02:29 PM

Who remembers "Dead Ernest" on channel 36 back in the early 70's? He would rise up out of his casket and introduce the week's horror movie. You talk about funny - that was hilarious.
post #8440 of 9058 Old 08-13-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
But my memory goes back to a 21-inch black-and-white TV on four legs, that only got channels 2-13. That means 3 and 9 were all we got, so a rotor would not have helped back then.
Our Tv was mostly stuck on WBTv. Didn't need a remote. Had a rotor that would clack around for the occasional WYFF & WSPA & WLOS. Always knew when grandpa was leaving the house, could see and hear the ignition of his old rambler in the Tv as he came and went.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #8441 of 9058 Old 08-13-2014, 02:40 PM

Yeah, WBTV was it. The Betty Feezor Show. Good Morning Carolina with Arthur Smith. My parents used to watch that, but I was too small - my recollections of Arthur Smith were in the 70's after he jumped ship to channel 9. Never understood exactly why. But in the early 80s Doug Mayes did the same thing, and I later found out it wasn't Doug's choice.
post #8442 of 9058 Old 08-13-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Who remembers "Dead Ernest" on channel 36 back in the early 70's? He would rise up out of his casket and introduce the week's horror movie. You talk about funny - that was hilarious.
I remember him quite well. As a early teen, I got to say up late on the weekend nights and would watch him & the movie. Good ole days of UHF TV. I always wondered later who might have played him. Seems like a role that Larry Sprinkle would do, but at the time, I think he was getting fame floating in toilet tanks. Maybe it was someone tied to Ted Turner.
post #8443 of 9058 Old 08-13-2014, 05:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
Should be more better now CP, we had a multiplexer randomly dropping out and has been replaced.
Still seeing the same thing during tonight's "Big Bang Theory". The audio will stutter, and the picture will become pixelated. The first time it was just occasional squares of pixelation across the screen, the second time it was a straight line all the way across the middle of the screen. The top half & bottom half on either side of that line were normal, only with the audio shuddering.

Anyone else seeing the same or is it just me this time?

Edit: It seems to have resolved itself for now, will update again if it starts back. Maybe it's just "Big Bang Theory"?

Last edited by cpalmer2k; 08-13-2014 at 05:25 PM.
post #8444 of 9058 Old 08-13-2014, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Been watching here OTA and TWC on 2 Tv's for several hours CP, have not seen any any issues. DirecTv and uVerse are pretty quick to call me if they see anything. But I will keep watching and put the analyzer on too.
However TWC (as welll as uVerse) is fed by fiber and not OTA.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.

Last edited by bdfox18doe; 08-14-2014 at 05:21 AM.
post #8445 of 9058 Old 08-13-2014, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Our Tv was mostly stuck on WBTv. Didn't need a remote. Had a rotor that would clack around for the occasional WYFF & WSPA & WLOS. Always knew when grandpa was leaving the house, could see and hear the ignition of his old rambler in the Tv as he came and went.
In later years, Bob, I would hear my Dad's arrival home when he would open the car door - before removing the key - and the door buzzer (unlike today's chime) would manifest it's audible and visual interference on the TV. Dad thought those buzzers were so annoying.

Eric
post #8446 of 9058 Old 08-13-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Back in the 70's in Concord, the roof antenna/rotor received 3, 9, 2, 8, and 12. We mainly watched WBTV. For Dad always watched Doug Mayes, Clyde McLean and Walter Cronkite for the news, and Mom would never miss Betty Feezor and As the World Turns. I would sometimes watch movies and cartoons and such on 36 and 18, but they did not come in as well. And you pretty much were in big trouble if you dared to change the dial from Channel 3.
post #8447 of 9058 Old 08-13-2014, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Real NFL coverage comes not from the NFL, but from CBS, NBC, Fox, and occasionally ABC if it's playoff time. Espn coverage doesn't compare. So try telling the broadcast networks they can no longer broadcast, but still have to cover the games. Never happen...
And CBS is getting ready to start Thursday night football.
post #8448 of 9058 Old 08-14-2014, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

IMO, the NFL has a salary and cost structure that isn't supported by its fan base. If they want to maintain it, and the ever increasing payouts going to star players and team owners, they have to find new ways to bring in cash. It doesn't help them that the other professional sports businesses are also competing with them for a pot that isn't getting any bigger. Cable subscription fees and tax payer paid for arenas & stadiums are getting tapped out so they have to look elsewhere.

Really nothing more to it than that. I say again, if the OTA broadcast industry wants to avoid unpleasant government action against them, they need to start working a plan to increase viewership via antennas instead of pretending like it doesn't exist. (it doesn't count to only mention an antenna during carriage disputes)

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-14-2014 at 01:28 AM.
post #8449 of 9058 Old 08-14-2014, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Very surprising to me.. We have received a large number of viewer complaints about QVC going away...seems it is the only outlet some viewers have to shop at, and many regard it and the hosts as entertainment. I even had some within the building here say that.

Bob

post #8450 of 9058 Old 08-14-2014, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Very surprising to me.. We have received a large number of viewer complaints about QVC going away...seems it is the only outlet some viewers have to shop at, and many regard it and the hosts as entertainment. I even had some within the building here say that.
Uh oh. Maybe you guys could just sell them all your "Paid Programming" time slots, that way the shoppers can still get their fix...
post #8451 of 9058 Old 08-14-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
The situation with the captions has improved. I can read them now, but there is still a small issue with the captions flashing off and back on, intermittently. But at least they are in sync with the dialogue, seem to be there in their entirety, and are not disappearing before you can read them. That is a first (for me) in the 3 1/2 years that MeTV has been on 18.3. Thanks.
Bob, as of last night, unfortunately, the captions are whacked out again. For a couple of days they worked pretty well as noted in my quote above, except for the blinking/flashing. Now they are back to only partially appearing, and either well before or after the audio dialogue, and then quickly flying off the screen.
post #8452 of 9058 Old 08-14-2014, 06:34 AM

Does anyone from WBTV post on here? The new home improvement program starting in September that will air daily at 9:30 AM, will be hosted by ANTONIO Sebato Jr., and that is what appears on the screen. But the announcer is saying ANTHONY Sebato Jr. in the promos.
post #8453 of 9058 Old 08-14-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Bob, as of last night, unfortunately, the captions are whacked out again. For a couple of days they worked pretty well as noted in my quote above, except for the blinking/flashing. Now they are back to only partially appearing, and either well before or after the audio dialogue, and then quickly flying off the screen.
Are you watching 608 or 708 captions? (CC1 / Digital 1)Try switching between both and let me know whether one or the other is better-worse. I am doing another software update today. It should be on air tomorrow. I have passed your comments on to the factory as well. It appears fine on everything I look at it on. I have one of those DVR's in the pile in the closet somewhere....

However, the flashing you describe, I see that same thing on TWC's News14 on one of my home Tv's, so I know exactly what you are seeing.

Bob

post #8454 of 9058 Old 08-14-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hmm. Maybe my Dad was right about the brain rotting thing.
post #8455 of 9058 Old 08-14-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Are you watching 608 or 708 captions? (CC1 / Digital 1).
I will check tonight. Just to be clear, what does 608 vs. 708 mean? I believe I have it set to CC1 / Digital 1. I find there are many digital options for captions (CC1 through about CC6), but none (on any of my equipment) ever display anything except for CC1.
post #8456 of 9058 Old 08-14-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Here ya go, both streams are present. Let me know....

http://abercap.com/blog/2009/06/18/t...-708-captions/

Bob

post #8457 of 9058 Old 08-14-2014, 07:38 AM

Thanks - I read that. Yes, I have it set to digital captions. In fact, I don't believe this model allows analog captions. I was going to switch it to that a while back, to try to stop this problem, but could not find that option. I know it is set to digital, because my translucent yellow print displays, and analog is normally white lettering in a black box.
post #8458 of 9058 Old 08-14-2014, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Thanks - I read that. Yes, I have it set to digital captions. In fact, I don't believe this model allows analog captions. I was going to switch it to that a while back, to try to stop this problem, but could not find that option. I know it is set to digital, because my translucent yellow print displays, and analog is normally white lettering in a black box.
hi all,

I took the plunge and got a HBU33 from solid signal. I think I am going to point it due north 20ft up in attic.

My map:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2fa27fdc69a9

Thoughts?
post #8459 of 9058 Old 08-14-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtww View Post

Thoughts?
Great antenna that will be handicapped by placing in the attic. You will lose beam and see a good reduction in signal strength, and be affected by the reflections in the attic. The real test will be how much it picks up during windy rainly weather. It will really depend upon how tolerant you are of this.

I would mount it outside for far better results.
post #8460 of 9058 Old 08-14-2014, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

The HBU-33 is a good antenna and should be more than adequate for the Charlotte signals. It is a good value for the money. And you should not need an amp unless you have a long cable run or multiple splits. And only then would I recommend a Channel Master 3414 distribution amp. It is moderate gain and resistant to overload.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page