post #8461 of 8830 Old 08-14-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
Our Tv was mostly stuck on WBTv. Didn't need a remote. Had a rotor that would clack around for the occasional WYFF & WSPA & WLOS. Always knew when grandpa was leaving the house, could see and hear the ignition of his old rambler in the Tv as he came and went.
Cars used to use solid copper wires on the ignition system whitch allowed the tv to pick up the RF from the system. When the tube radios were replaced with transitor radios in cars they had to replace the spark plug wires with graphite because they also picked up the static. If the car did not come with a radio they left the car with the solid copper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8462 of 8830 Old 08-14-2014, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Very surprising to me.. We have received a large number of viewer complaints about QVC going away...seems it is the only outlet some viewers have to shop at, and many regard it and the hosts as entertainment. I even had some within the building here say that.
I'd be interested in knowing how many WJZY got when they dropped AntennaTV six weeks ago. I love Antenna and am thrilled to be getting it back. But I didn't complain, since we got a very unique channel in Movies!, that allows us to see movies in 16x9.
post #8463 of 8830 Old 08-14-2014, 10:41 AM
A J

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtww View Post
hi all,

I took the plunge and got a HBU33 from solid signal. I think I am going to point it due north 20ft up in attic.
Thoughts?
Several years ago I decided to put my antenna in the attic to avoid the hassle of grounding it and, frankly, for curb appearance. Every attic is different and what works for some doesn't work for others. I experimented by moving the antenna around while my better half gave feedback about meter signal strength ( I was surprised how much difference it made moving it a few feet or aiming it slightly left and right). So, I would recommend that you go through that same test procedure before permanently mounting it.

I've had excellent success with my attic installation and my antenna is considerably smaller than yours, only about 12 feet above ground level, and I'm farther from the towers (37 miles to WBTV). I split to 2 TVs and DVR and I used it for a year before adding a $35 pre-amp. The pre-amp eliminated all weather related deficiencies and it has worked like a trooper ever since, thru rain, wind, and snow.

The picture is from 2011 when first installed (before the pre-amp was added).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1577.JPG
Views:	18
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	211937  
post #8464 of 8830 Old 08-14-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
In the cord cutters subreddit, some guy there said he charged $700 to do an antenna install, plus whatever antenna you needed. For a lot of people however even this insane amount only represents 5-6 months worth of cable TV charges.

So if you were started a business, knew what in the hell you were doing, young (I'm in good shape for 50+ but there are limits), and could tap the demand, there is a lot of money to be made here.

----------------

Depending upon where you live, if it is here in CLT, you might be able to get away with a wall mount. It will eliminate the need to get on a roof. My Mom's house is actually a modern style "kit" house that Lowes used to sell in the 1960s & 70s before they became a distributer for the the Chinese communist workers. It's very well built so the install wasn't that bad. I ended up using a wall mount to get the antenna above the roofline.
I was thinking more around $200 labor, know the tripod is cheap, & the pipe mount even less. Line would just need to be dropped in my attic via a Ridge vent ... done, & I'll set up the inside distribution. (basically mounting the tripod & properly sealing the roof would be the hard part) My dad had a new roof downlead, amp & split to a distribution box installed in the attic about 6 years back about $120 in labor.

Looking at the wall mount, that would open a whole can of worms with my HOA, as it would need to be mounted on the front of the house (SW view).

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
Who remembers "Dead Ernest" on channel 36 back in the early 70's? He would rise up out of his casket and introduce the week's horror movie. You talk about funny - that was hilarious.
That's what I miss about Local TV, Ghoulardi predates me a bit but remember 'The Ghoul' which originated here on Sat nights in the early '70's, but was syndicated to Kaiser Stations around the country.... the syndication didn't catch except for Detroit.

I think Svengoolie would have a similar type appeal on Me TV.

Last edited by Bismarck440; 08-14-2014 at 11:39 AM.
post #8465 of 8830 Old 08-14-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Does anyone from WBTV post on here? The new home improvement program starting in September that will air daily at 9:30 AM, will be hosted by ANTONIO Sebato Jr., and that is what appears on the screen. But the announcer is saying ANTHONY Sebato Jr. in the promos.
I e-mailed the station manager at WBTV, and got this reply from the Director of Marketing/Creative Services:
=====================================

Thanks for your note. Nick forwarded it on to me…sincethe program promos you refer to are in my area. You are absolutelycorrect. The producer who edited the spots missed the mistake from ourannouncer. I just went back to check the script that was sent. Antonio was written…the announcer simply overlooked it and read Anthony.

We just re-recorded the track and the spots will be fixedshortly. Thanks for paying such close attention.

Grit…is coming but won’t be available in Charlotte forseveral more weeks. We have some technical infrastructure issues thathave yet to be resolved. But…be assured…they will be soon. Gritwill be 480i but will most probably be available as a 16x9 presentation. I can’t say the same for Bounce at this stage. Right now there are noplans to change Bounce from 4x3. That is a topic of much discussion andwill continue to be considered.

Thanks again for your time and input. Keep itcoming.
post #8466 of 8830 Old 08-14-2014, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Very surprising to me.. We have received a large number of viewer complaints about QVC going away...seems it is the only outlet some viewers have to shop at, and many regard it and the hosts as entertainment. I even had some within the building here say that.
I guess I am not surprised. I know of marriages threatened by a potential lose of a shopping channel. It's no secret that there are those that love to shop, so a service such as HSN is not TV, but shopping in the comfort of home..
bdfox18doe likes this.
post #8467 of 8830 Old 08-14-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 44
^Very nice they took the time to reply. I guess that explains why there is no signs of grit so far.

All in all however, CLT has netted 3 new channels (Movies!, getTV & Escape) and we recovered AntennaTV so it's been pretty good recently.

That and the recent nice weather has put me in a mood to go an build a new antenna to pick up WNSC from Huntersville. I might spend as much as $20 on it this time.

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-14-2014 at 01:35 PM.
post #8468 of 8830 Old 08-14-2014, 02:53 PM

Wink

Quote:
^Very nice they took the time to reply. I guess that explains why there is no signs of grit so far.

All in all however, CLT has netted 3 new channels (Movies!, getTV & Escape) and we recovered AntennaTV so it's been pretty good recently.

That and the recent nice weather has put me in a mood to go an build a new antenna to pick up WNSC from Huntersville. I might spend as much as $20 on it this time.
Mount it a thousand feet off the ground, and you might get a pixelized version of the Hickory station, if atmospheric conditions are at a premium.
post #8469 of 8830 Old 08-14-2014, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Mount it a thousand feet off the ground, and you might get a pixelized version of the Hickory station, if atmospheric conditions are at a premium.
I already have a very unreasonable antenna devoted to it. At one time I didn't know why I bothered given that it has simply dropped power at times, the guide has gone for months not matching what was broadcast, and of course the recent change to 16:9 for 4:3 content.

But Retro TV is currently showing some very rare episodes of Dr. Who going back to the 1960s so it has made it worth it. So it's nice to have. I might create an automatic transcoding job to re-encode it with the proper aspect ratio and to clean it up a bit, since I only watch them recorded anyway.
krisbee likes this.
post #8470 of 8830 Old 08-14-2014, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

We live not too far from Huntersville and can only get 30-1, 30-2, 30-3 usually in the mornings.

These 3 (Movies!, getTV & Escape) make OTA interesting again. I watch getTV more than anything now besides WTVI.

People are still shocked when we tell them we watch TV using rabbit ears. Then they come over and see how crisp and clear it is to watch.

post #8471 of 8830 Old 08-14-2014, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
The problem is not antenna height, or WHKY's power level.
The problem is with RF channel 39 (WMYT) at Dallas. This is why they are held to just over 200KW. They take a large chunk out of WHKY in the Mount Holly area (Gaston Co area). We just don't complain the way they have in the past, in public about the problem.

Tom
post #8472 of 8830 Old 08-14-2014, 10:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla_engineer View Post
The problem is not antenna height, or WHKY's power level.
The problem is with RF channel 39 (WMYT) at Dallas. This is why they are held to just over 200KW. They take a large chunk out of WHKY in the Mount Holly area (Gaston Co area). We just don't complain the way they have in the past, in public about the problem.
Could WHKY change rf channel in repack and be stronger?
post #8473 of 8830 Old 08-15-2014, 02:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
RF repack in Charlotte.

Stations that will have to change channels:
WAXN
WUNG
WJZY
WMYT
WHKY

Stations that will not have to change channels:
WTVI

Stations that don't know yet:
WSOC
WCCB
WCNC
WBTV
WNSC

Most likely channel 37 (radio astro) will be used as guard band.

Power levels are unknown yet, but would increase if OFDM is used in ATSC 3.0. OFDM takes appox. 1 to 2.5 db more power to have the same coverage area than 8-VSB.

Stations will be encourage to move to VHF. Stations that are VHF now (WTVI) have almost no chance to move to UHF.

Stations can not be force to change transmitter site locations.

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

Last edited by Theo1080; 08-15-2014 at 02:43 AM.
post #8474 of 8830 Old 08-15-2014, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo1080 View Post
RF repack in Charlotte.

Stations that will have to change channels:
WAXN
WUNG
WJZY
WMYT
WHKY

Stations that will not have to change channels:
WTVI

Stations that don't know yet:
WSOC
WCCB
WCNC
WBTV
WNSC

Most likely channel 37 (radio astro) will be used as guard band.

Power levels are unknown yet, but would increase if OFDM is used in ATSC 3.0. OFDM takes appox. 1 to 2.5 db more power to have the same coverage area than 8-VSB.

Stations will be encourage to move to VHF. Stations that are VHF now (WTVI) have almost no chance to move to UHF.

Stations can not be force to change transmitter site locations.
Also at this point translators, and non Class A low power TV stations will not survive repack.

Only Full power, and Class A Low Power main transmitter are covered.

WHKY is in the unique position of running a DTS (distributed transmission system). There were only 4 or 5 of these ever built in the US. The FCC not knowing what to do with these at repack protected the area that was set aside for them. WHKY could go back and add 4 or 5 more transmitters on the circle. The transmitters including WHKY's DTS-1 site at Baker Mt, and the Charlotte site DTS-2 on Caldwell road are all main transmitters. As would be any other added on.

Anyone that wants to abuse themselves can read the full R&O on the FCC web site.
http://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-adop...tive-auction-0

Tom
post #8475 of 8830 Old 08-15-2014, 05:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Are you watching 608 or 708 captions? (CC1 / Digital 1)Try switching between both and let me know whether one or the other is better-worse. I am doing another software update today. It should be on air tomorrow. I have passed your comments on to the factory as well. It appears fine on everything I look at it on. I have one of those DVR's in the pile in the closet somewhere....

However, the flashing you describe, I see that same thing on TWC's News14 on one of my home Tv's, so I know exactly what you are seeing.
I think it depends on how the program was captioned. I see it sometimes on Antenna TV straight off the bird and it seems to always be the same programs. Bob, I band aided it by going into my Selinio encoder and turned CC Translate to Always (the NetVX I have doesn't seem to be effected). It still flashes in house, but not on air now. And it seems somehow related to a space (or high ASCII character) between each character in the text when the program was captioned.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #8476 of 8830 Old 08-15-2014, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
I think it depends on how the program was captioned. I see it sometimes on Antenna TV straight off the bird and it seems to always be the same programs. Bob, I band aided it by going into my Selinio encoder and turned CC Translate to Always (the NetVX I have doesn't seem to be effected). It still flashes in house, but not on air now. And it seems somehow related to a space (or high ASCII character) between each character in the text when the program was captioned.
Thanks CL..Just put new software on air this am, it should have fixed it, or so the lab says..Translate is on in the encoders too. Cheaper than the EEG legalizer..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #8477 of 8830 Old 08-15-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Just put new software on air this am, it should have fixed it, or so the lab says..Translate is on in the encoders too. Cheaper than the EEG legalizer..
Bob, I did about everthing that can be done on the captions last night on the DVR. Other than style, opacity, etc. the only options for caption service is the numbers 1-6 (I am on 1). I reset the settings to factory defaults, then tried the generic version, and one by one programmed my preferences back in. Nothing seems to change what it is doing. I watched a few minutes of Petticoat Junction this morning (since they are back in the first two seasons, which are my favorite) and it still seems to be doing the same thing (ahead of or behind the dialogue, only partially displaying, and disappearing quickly). For a couple of days earlier this week, the captions displayed appropriately, with only the above flashing issue, which I could live with.
post #8478 of 8830 Old 08-15-2014, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey OTA-DVR-guy: Was this before or after 730a, when new software was applied? Thanks

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #8479 of 8830 Old 08-15-2014, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Hey OTA-DVR-guy: Was this before or after 730a, when new software was applied? Thanks
I left for work at 7:00 AM this morning, so it was definitely before. I will check again tonight. Thanks.
post #8480 of 8830 Old 08-15-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Thank You, keep me posted. Tho I am out of town most of the weekend.

Bob

post #8481 of 8830 Old 08-15-2014, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I tried it.

Something called ATSC CC1 was pretty much useless. Slow and it would often miss parts of it. There was only one line and if the previous line was shorter than the last, it did not clear the previous line. Makes for some quite interesting words getting generated.

The other choice was called VBI CC1. That one works quite well. It uses 3 lines and there is no problem with it keeping up. It also marks the transitions from one party to another. Definitely better than the other choice.

This was on MeTV at 9:40a.

---------------------------

Nice to see Antenna TV @ 720x480 instead of 640x480. It's a huge improvement.
post #8482 of 8830 Old 08-15-2014, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Thank You, keep me posted. Tho I am out of town most of the weekend.
blackcat6's experience sounds very similar to mine, but I don't have those options. It seems that analog caption doesn't exist on the DVR that I have. As stated, the services are simply a number 1-6. Even on the small Motorola OTA tuners that I have, there are many more options on the type of captioning (but they don't have this problem - only the DVR).

Bob, do you know what was different for a couple of days early this when (when it worked fairly well) - what changed before and after that?
post #8483 of 8830 Old 08-15-2014, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
blackcat6's experience sounds very similar to mine, but I don't have those options. It seems that analog caption doesn't exist on the DVR that I have. As stated, the services are simply a number 1-6. Even on the small Motorola OTA tuners that I have, there are many more options on the type of captioning (but they don't have this problem - only the DVR).

Bob, do you know what was different for a couple of days early this when (when it worked fairly well) - what changed before and after that?
It works fine on all the displays / tuners I have here. I am passing your comments on to the factory, but any software changes have to come via le français. This is our new encoding chain that supports 4-channels as opposed to yesterday.

Bob

post #8484 of 8830 Old 08-15-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
This is our new encoding chain that supports 4-channels as opposed to yesterday.
Great - I hope that means we have an 18.4 in our future!
post #8485 of 8830 Old 08-15-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

It's there now..You may need to re-scan tho dependent on the box..

Bob

post #8486 of 8830 Old 08-15-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
It's there now..You may need to re-scan tho dependent on the box..
I only knew that AntennaTV was going to 18.2. What's on 18.4? Did viewer outcry save QVC?
post #8487 of 8830 Old 08-15-2014, 07:58 AM
A J

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
It's there now (18.4). You may need to re-scan tho dependent on the box..
Went to 18.4 with high hopes.

Found QVC home shopping.

Hit Menu/Tools/Delete. Bye-bye QVC!

But, it is nice to have AntennaTV back.
post #8488 of 8830 Old 08-15-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
Went to 18.4 with high hopes.

Found QVC home shopping.

Hit Menu/Tools/Delete. Bye-bye QVC!

But, it is nice to have AntennaTV back.
Must have been the HashTag campaign. People holding up a sign saying "Bring Back Our QVC" always does the trick.

Last edited by OTA-DVR-guy; 08-15-2014 at 08:15 AM.
post #8489 of 8830 Old 08-15-2014, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Bob,

I can tell you are running 608 and 708 CC on 18.1& 18.2. The 608 is clean, stable....the 708, I can change text color, bg color, etc. It is also stable. Monitoring OTA on a LG Set at work.

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

post #8490 of 8830 Old 08-15-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
. The audio will stutter, and the picture will become pixelated. The first time it was just occasional squares of pixelation across the screen, the second time it was a straight line all the way across the middle of the screen. The top half & bottom half on either side of that line were normal, only with the audio shuddering.

Anyone else seeing the same or is it just me this time?

Edit: It seems to have resolved itself for now, will update again if it starts back. Maybe it's just "Big Bang Theory"?
I monitored the analyzer all day yesterday, and did not see any issues nor observe any watching OTA. I did see some last night overnight, and have seen hits today. They are not present on TWC,and have not heard a complaint from uVerse. We are looking into an intermittent issue at the transmitter now. It could also be the new 7ghz microwave that was installed several weeks ago.

Bob

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page