post #8491 of 9122 Old 08-15-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
I monitored the analyzer all day yesterday, and did not see any issues nor observe any watching OTA. I did see some last night overnight, and have seen hits today. They are not present on TWC,and have not heard a complaint from uVerse. We are looking into an intermittent issue at the transmitter now. It could also be the new 7ghz microwave that was installed several weeks ago.
If it is any help, around the time I was looking at MeTV & Antenna TV at that CC info, I did notice some intermittant, very short drops in the signal leading to some pixelation. It was random and lasted less than a second.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8492 of 9122 Old 08-15-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Yes, thank you. Some receivers are more graceful than others in their recovery.
I'm not seeing these errors leaving the studio transport stream.
Except for the occasional TI hits into the AntennaTv receiver, (random blue "no signal" on screen)..which we cannot do anything about until we receive the custom filters and install them just like we did with MeTv.
Since AntennaTv and Metv are on the same 3.96 ghz RF downlink frequency, but different satellites, that was not unexpected. We appreciate your bearing with us on all these issues.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!

Last edited by bdfox18doe; 08-15-2014 at 10:28 AM.
post #8493 of 9122 Old 08-15-2014, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo1080 View Post
Bob,

I can tell you are running 608 and 708 CC on 18.1& 18.2. The 608 is clean, stable....the 708, I can change text color, bg color, etc. It is also stable. Monitoring OTA on a LG Set at work.
I believe 18.3 is the only one that has this caption problem on my DVR.
post #8494 of 9122 Old 08-15-2014, 10:37 AM
A J

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Bob, I saw (and, heard) several glitches, pixelization and audio dropouts, while watching Rising about 6:20 AM. They continued well into a commercial break so I bailed out to WBTV
post #8495 of 9122 Old 08-15-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
Yes, thank you. Some receivers are more graceful than others in their recovery.
If I was directly using the Samsung tuner, it would lock up the TV though it would be fine on my Sharps. The Sharps would recover. Only way to recover on the Samsung was to unplug the thing. But IMO, that is Samsung going with some cheapo 3rd party tuner. I think newer Samsungs are better.

I'm picking up WCCB with a HDHomerun Dual, which outputs the raw mpeg2 onto my IP network. It never has any trouble if the signal is decent enough. From there, it's just 0s & 1s and software on my DVR.

Despite it sounding a bit complicated, the whole thing works remarkably well.
post #8496 of 9122 Old 08-15-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I have the same HDHomerun Dual at home. Aside from the wall warts going bad, which they have been replacing free, a darn fine tuner. You should get free TSReader to use with it.

We have now switched microwave receivers & exciters at the transmitter. It seems to be better now.

A part of having everything redundant is finding which A or B item is bad.. Redundant encode chains..microwave transmitters and receivers, and exciters..and could be a combination of this A with that B. A broke is easy to fix, a bent not so much...

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #8497 of 9122 Old 08-15-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info on TS Reader. There are times when something like that would have been handy. I've also found that the Android app. for the HD Homerun is good for pointing antennas. It's a nice little box especially if you can catch a refurbished sale. Well worth the money.
post #8498 of 9122 Old 08-15-2014, 01:28 PM

Quiet on here today... I guess everyone is celebrating an emotional reunion with AntennaTV.

"We only know the show must go on..."

Last edited by OTA-DVR-guy; 08-15-2014 at 02:18 PM.
post #8499 of 9122 Old 08-15-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
Quiet on here today... I guess everyone is celebrating an emotional reunion with AntennaTV.
Busy time of year for me. House remodeling, garden coming in, working on new yagi antenna for RF 15, building a thin-mini ITX computer for relative, etc. Not enough hours in day.
post #8500 of 9122 Old 08-15-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post

"We only know the show must go on..."
Good to see Antenna TV is back. Although I only receive WCCB at night. But I did notice the resolution and pic quality appears much better than it did on 46.2. No more zoomed in and distorted picture. And images appear sharper.
post #8501 of 9122 Old 08-16-2014, 03:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo1080 View Post
RF repack in Charlotte.

Stations that will have to change channels:
WAXN
WUNG
WJZY
WMYT
WHKY

Stations that will not have to change channels:
WTVI

Stations that don't know yet:
WSOC
WCCB
WCNC
WBTV
WNSC
Ahh. So basically they are going to push down everyone transmitting above RF 37. That will simplify antenna design, though at the same time obsolete a huge # of retail antennas out there. That is, unless they bring back VHF lo.

I can see, in other locales, (not CLT) where there are a much larger # of stations, where this might be tricky.
post #8502 of 9122 Old 08-16-2014, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
Ahh. So basically they are going to push down everyone transmitting above RF 37. That will simplify antenna design, though at the same time obsolete a huge # of retail antennas out there. That is, unless they bring back VHF lo.

I can see, in other locales, (not CLT) where there are a much larger # of stations, where this might be tricky.
The Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012. is not terribly specific as to how things might proceed.. After a "reverse auction", whenever one or more take place, we will have a clearer view of what will come. Broadcasters are going to have to do some selling out before much else can happen.
TV broadcasters might be restricted to channels 2-36, 2-31, or 2-some upper channel below 37. Or, there might be no general repacking before auction authority ends in 2022. .
I certainly cannot predict what will come. But, I think it possible that, next year, Congress might revisit the legislation to positively define its intentions, if, Congress can determine such.
The business looks to me like a basketball hovering around, in search of a goal to fall through.
post #8503 of 9122 Old 08-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

In some of the really big markets, I would not be at all surprised to see FOX and MyTV wind up sharing an allocation and CBS and CW sharing an allocation.
post #8504 of 9122 Old 08-16-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
In some of the really big markets, I would not be at all surprised to see FOX and MyTV wind up sharing an allocation and CBS and CW sharing an allocation.
I can see one of two things happening. There are some corporate owners who will be glad to sell out. I assume those stations will simply disappear.

Or...

On the other hand, if they all see the value in keeping their transmission licenses, then I can see where this repack will never see the light of day. It's an Obama Administration wet dream and his star has fallen considerably in the last couple of years. Most likely, if anything happens, it will be the next administration that will deal with it.

I'm thinking it's more going to be the latter, but I don't know, of course, what goes on in the boardrooms of the broadcasters.
post #8505 of 9122 Old 08-16-2014, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
... It's an Obama Administration ... dream ..
That's your opinion (rather crudely and offensively expressed, IMHO) but that opinion is not supported by the facts.

The fact is that the authorization for the spectrum auctions was passed by both chambers of Congress at a time when one chamber had one party in the majority and the other chamber had the other party in the majority. One of the alleged purposes of the auctions is a desire to reduce federal deficits by using the auctions to produce revenue in a way that is more palatable to certain politicians than a simple tax increase would be. Another is to provide more spectrum for wireless companies to use now that relatively few people receive television OTA.
post #8506 of 9122 Old 08-16-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's your opinion (rather crudely and offensively expressed, IMHO) but that opinion is not supported by the fact.
An engineering expression usually spoken amongst male engineers. Sorry to offend. I should not have used it here.

However the content is correct. He has gone on record about "new media" (aka, payola for my media buddies) and its benefit to people, many times.

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-16-2014 at 12:54 PM.
post #8507 of 9122 Old 08-16-2014, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
An engineering expression usually spoken amongst male engineers. Sorry to offend. I should not have used it here.

However the content is correct. He has gone on record about "new media" (aka, payola for my media buddies) and its benefit to people, many times.

Oh, let's just drop it. It is quite clear that your antipathy toward the President has led you to ascribe to him powers that he does not possess. Last I checked, Congress sets the rules, and the auction could not have been authorized without the votes of many members of both parties.
post #8508 of 9122 Old 08-16-2014, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
What percent of tv households use OTA as their primary tv source? More specific, in the Charlotte area. Notice I said primary, not homes that have an installed and working antenna.
post #8509 of 9122 Old 08-16-2014, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
What percent of tv households use OTA as their primary tv source? More specific, in the Charlotte area. Notice I said primary, not homes that have an installed and working antenna.
I have not seen figures specifically for Charlotte, but nationally the estimates are generally less than ten percent, although that may be growing a bit if you consider combining OTA viewership with streaming from sources such as NetFlix to be a case of using OTA as the primary TV source.

If you include households that use OTA on secondary sets, then the figure may rise as high as 17% or so. But the fact remains that pay TV is now dominant over OTA throughout the nation.

Trying to paint the spectrum auctions as some kind of partisan political plot or nefarious conspiracy just ignores the reality that many people have grown perfectly accustomed to paying for TV, and many of those same people are very happy to have the government promote the growth of wireless companies rather than propping up OTA, which is regarded as a dinosaur technology by many people.

I'd love to see OTA survive, but I think most people just don't give a hoot. And that means that there is no incentive for politicians to pay much attention to the needs of OTA viewers, many of whom rarely vote and don't know who their congressman or congresswoman is or who their U.S. senators are.

Last edited by veedon; 08-16-2014 at 02:13 PM.
post #8510 of 9122 Old 08-16-2014, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgcss View Post
I've heard #'s like 22 million households in the USA or 60 million people if you believe the NAB. The 60 million would be ~20% of the population.

That number if rising because in aggregate, the cable/satellite industry is losing about 300,000 customers/quarter. (though again it really depends upon whose #s you believe) Anecdotally I've seen a lot of people asking about antennas elsewhere. Business is so good for antenna manufacturers that even Amazon has it's own brand now.

Generally I like to recommend either Antennacraft or Winegard. Best antennas for the buck and they are made in the UsA.

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-16-2014 at 04:44 PM.
post #8511 of 9122 Old 08-16-2014, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Trying to paint the spectrum auctions as some kind of partisan political plot or nefarious conspiracy just ignores the reality that many people have grown perfectly accustomed to paying for TV,..
If you are referring to me in the 3rd party, then I have not done this. The fact is this spectrum is very valuable, alot of players want it, and thus lobbiests are all over DC and politics has everything to do with it. Don't let yourself get blinded by party dogma.

This is the last I will say about it. I made my point of how I think it will go down.
post #8512 of 9122 Old 08-16-2014, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

The NAB claims that 19 percent of U.S. households with TVs "rely solely on over-the-air signals to watch TV programming".

http://www.nab.org/documents/newsroo...se.asp?id=3168

That's much higher than other reports, which usually put "OTA only" at less than ten percent of U.S. TV households.

I'm skeptical of the NAB's numbers.

Of course, just because a household does not have cable or satellite does not mean that the household is using OTA signals.
The people in the household could just be using NetFlix. Or (gasp!) reading a book or a newspaper and not watching any TV at all.
post #8513 of 9122 Old 08-17-2014, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

I used to recommend Channel Master antennas, as they were excellent reception products. And they had a huge manufacturing facility east of Raleigh, in Smithfield, NC. But regretably they have changed owners and their antennas are now made in China. But I will say the CM distribution amps made by PCT a very good performers, and the newer version of the CM-4228 8 bay is decent. But overall, I prefer Antennacraft and Winegard as well, as they are made in the USA and reasonably priced. And my original CM-4248 UHF Diamond Yagi remains my best performing antenna.
post #8514 of 9122 Old 08-17-2014, 07:44 AM
A J

I re-scanned my TV this morning and came across something I've never seen before. Two stations had the same virtual channel number (25.1) and the TV was able to handle that OK. I know that the real frequencies are different but wonder what kept my TVs tuner from getting confused.

My tuner sorted things out this way:

25.1 WOLO ABC, Columbia
25.1 WDMC Charlotte's low power bible thumper channel
25.2 WOLO (appears to be a duplicate of the primary 25.1 HD signal)
25.3 WOLO Weather
25.4 WOLO MeTV
post #8515 of 9122 Old 08-17-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
I re-scanned my TV this morning and came across something I've never seen before. Two stations had the same virtual channel number (25.1) and the TV was able to handle that OK. I know that the real frequencies are different but wonder what kept my TVs tuner from getting confused.

My tuner sorted things out this way:

25.1 WOLO ABC, Columbia
25.1 WDMC Charlotte's low power bible thumper channel
25.2 WOLO (appears to be a duplicate of the primary 25.1 HD signal)
25.3 WOLO Weather
25.4 WOLO MeTV
The tuner will tune to the real RF frequencies, then display the available PSIP data, which is independent from that. But a good tuner can also display 2 channels sharing the same RF frequency if each channel has a strong enough signal to decode. Only the PSIP data will be different. So it can happen if you are between 2 markets where the same RF channel may overlap. But often one stronger RF channel will overpower the other when on the same frequency. But not always depending upon location.
post #8516 of 9122 Old 08-17-2014, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
I re-scanned my TV this morning and came across something I've never seen before. Two stations had the same virtual channel number (25.1) and the TV was able to handle that OK. I know that the real frequencies are different but wonder what kept my TVs tuner from getting confused.....
I saw something like this in Myrtle Beach when I was pointing my Mom's antenna. There were so many out of market stations that I saw several dups like this. However they really were not viable as something that could be received in a reliable manner. At least one or two were from Columbia.

My guess is that unless you have a serious tower and antenna setup, WOLO would not be that reliable from Indian Trail.

I was, for a while, picking up some sort of low power religious channel in the winter from Huntersville. It was really out there on the fringes pentecostal stuff. It was some Channel to either the North or NW of here.

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-17-2014 at 09:17 AM.
post #8517 of 9122 Old 08-17-2014, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I saw something like this in Myrtle Beach when I was pointing my Mom's antenna. There were so many out of market stations that I saw several dups like this. However they really were not viable as something that could be received in a reliable manner. At least one or two were from Columbia.

My guess is that unless you have a serious tower and antenna setup, WOLO would not be that reliable from Indian Trail.

I was, for a while, picking up some sort of low power religious channel in the winter from Huntersville. It was really out there on the fringes pentecostal stuff. It was some Channel to either the North or NW of here.
Pretty sure that was Hickory 14-1, 14-2 WHKY. I was able to pick that channel up again using a homemade bowtie.
post #8518 of 9122 Old 08-17-2014, 01:04 PM
A J

Quote:
Gosh no, this morning was the first time I've ever received WOLO. Thus, it was the first time I saw two channels both showing 25.1 (WDMC 25.1 is always strong, though I delete it after every re-scan).

WOLO and WIS were both solid with no pixelization for several hours around dawn, then dropped out like a switch had been thrown. Remarkable that they came in that strongly considering that Columbus is on the back side of my small attic antenna.
post #8519 of 9122 Old 08-17-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy22 View Post
Pretty sure that was Hickory 14-1, 14-2 WHKY. I was able to pick that channel up again using a homemade bowtie.
No it wasn't WHKY, I get 14.1, 14.2, 14.3, 14.4 routinely on my regular setup. 14.1 does show some regular religious programming but nothing like what I was watching. It's mostly small country Baptist, Mt. Zion, etc type churches in Hickory area. The others are RetroTV, THIStv, and Heartland music. Most of the day WHKY is infomercials.

On the other hand the station we picked up was 24/7 religion of the hellfire and brimstone type that scares little kids. I seem to remember this station being in the 20 somethings. It had no online schedule, and it's currently not receivable here.

Maybe it was a pirate station.

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-17-2014 at 01:40 PM.
post #8520 of 9122 Old 08-18-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Congress sets the rules, and the auction could not have been authorized without the votes of many members of both parties.
It's worth noting that a lot of regulations are put through without legislation, which takes congress out of the loop, and that would certainly include the FCC.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page