Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 287 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 123Likes

post #8581 of 9765 Old 08-23-2014, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
I won't take this bait as the world is much more complicated than red vs blue. It's also off topic.
Perhaps it is off topic, but I was not the one who raised the issue of the quality of the news programming, and I was not the one who characterized things as being clownish.

OK, let's get back to the discussions of which way to point the antennas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8582 of 9765 Old 08-23-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
Perhaps it is off topic, but I was not the one who raised the issue of the quality of the news programming, and I was not the one who characterized things as being clownish..
Well maybe if you lived in the DMA, and could actually watch the broadcast, you would understand the context. All the locals sure seemed to agree.
post #8583 of 9765 Old 08-23-2014, 08:48 AM
A J

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
With all the opinions being voiced about local news programs concerning quality, ratings, set colors, etc., it makes me wonder if I'm the only one in Charlotte that watches whichever one has the cutest weather girl!
post #8584 of 9765 Old 08-23-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Kelly Franson of WBTV get's my vote.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8273172_BG4.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	225682  

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #8585 of 9765 Old 08-23-2014, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The guide info for Antenna TV on 18.5 has reverted to QVC's for some reason. It is still correct on the other three subchannels.
post #8586 of 9765 Old 08-24-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
WGHP is not a FOX O&O station.
I knew that. But they used to be. And they have always had a very good newscast. But for some reason they chose to sell their Greensboro station so they could by the Charlotte station. I guess bigger market.

Last edited by tylerSC; 08-24-2014 at 07:42 AM.
post #8587 of 9765 Old 08-24-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
.....But for some reason they chose to sell their Greensboro station so they could by the Charlotte station. I guess bigger market.
Wikipedia says they sold that station in 2008. They didn't buy the 2 stations in CLT until 2013.
post #8588 of 9765 Old 08-24-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Saw a promo for the new WJZY morning "news" program.

Looks as if they built a new set specifically for it. Looks like they have some sort of 50's retro diner thing going on along with the obligatory coffee mugs.

This appears to be where the Rapping Weatherman will be put on a permanent basis since he was part of the promo. There was someone else there that I didn't recognize. Starts tomorrow at 4:30pm and will last until 9pm. So they are going to try and hit all the stations directly in the nose with the timing.
post #8589 of 9765 Old 08-24-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Is an FM trap recommended with an outside antenna in the Charlotte area? Especially if you use an amp? There seem to be a lot of radio signals that could possibly interfere. And I read the MCM version may perform a bit better than the Radioshack, but not sure.
post #8590 of 9765 Old 08-24-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
I've tried to watch this news but it's the clown show. (well.... that is actually unfair to clowns)

It's not as much to do with format, but the complete lack of anything comprehensible as news.
  • Millennials given cameras and told to do video selfies about something in the area. No context, no counter point, no disclosures of vested interests, no checking, no nothing.
  • Segments like this journalistic gem "What's Shak'n with Shekka" or something like that. Basically they watch youtube videos.
  • Barbara Lash describes the St. Louis thing as "murder". (as in the police murdered that poor Black guy)
  • They make a lot of mistakes like pitting Hagan against Barr. (who can never run against each other)
  • Head anchor and head weatherman, cook food in a microwave.
  • They apparently love illegal aliens.
  • The news is decidedly one sided very liberal, but they are also forced to show segments from the Fox News channel which leaves them a bit speechless.
  • Much of the 6pm news is designed to be a teaser for the 10pm news.

It's 30 minutes too long. They might do better in the morning where the standards are a bit more loose. About the only thing they get right is sports, but it's hard to mess that up.

News corp does such a great job with Sky News. It's hard to believe this "news" comes from the same company.
I have never seen the newscast, and I have no insights to what the end game is at WJZY (wish I did for personal reasons), but I have personally worked with and know several of the people on air and in management positions there. Believe me THOSE FOLKS ARE NOT millennials. They made their bones in traditional TV news over the last 20 some years and many are award winning and highly respected in the industry. Many have on line blogs that have been up and running for years. While it certainly does look like a lot of people there are millennials on air, that isn't the case.

My point is, you may not like the product, and that is your right (from what I have heard, I am not sure I would even like it), there are lots of options in the marketplace and they are obviously trying to to something different to stand out in a market with 6 newscasts, but to assume that only millinnials are responsible for the content, is evidence you have no idea what you are talking about or how things work.

Because I know some of these people personally and I know what they are capable of, since I helped them do some of it in the past, don't assume it all comes from the corner office in Charlotte. It doesn't. FOX doesn't work that way. I know. I worked for FOX for 13 years.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #8591 of 9765 Old 08-24-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I knew that. But they used to be. And they have always had a very good newscast. But for some reason they chose to sell their Greensboro station so they could by the Charlotte station. I guess bigger market.
WGHP was sold, along with 7 other sub 30 market stations for $1.2 BILLION (with a B). That is why it was done. Plan and simple.

My opinion is if FOX had realized the potential of retrans money in 2008, they may not have sold. They are playing catch up at this point when it comes to retrans money. WGHP and WJZY could have been co-owned since the markets nor signals overlap.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.

Last edited by foxeng; 08-24-2014 at 08:34 PM.
post #8592 of 9765 Old 08-24-2014, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Some days, I just don't know what's become of the media world and the American TV viewer.
Things are happening that are just not right, like soccer and reality TV shows.
It used to be that no self respecting American would watch soccer except as a courtesy to a foreign visitor.
And the stuff that "reality TV" gets away with would have led to people being run out of town by angry church ladies.

Oh, well, maybe one day we'll all come to our senses and TV will be local, programming will be scripted, and the local broadcast affiliates will show daytime baseball on Saturday afternoons. (Maybe people will start reading newspapers again, too.)

Well, at least the FOX Saturday MLB games are returning in a couple of weeks.
Now can somebody tell me how to make those ballplayers wear their stirrup socks the way they're supposed to?
post #8593 of 9765 Old 08-25-2014, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
.....but to assume that only millinnials are responsible for the content, is evidence you have no idea what you are talking about or how things work. .....
Good lord. Sir, please carefully re-read my post as I didn't say that.

If you had seen the broadcast, it would have been immediately apparent what I was talking about.

Name dropping and telling us where you work are not substitutes for making a knowledgeable post. In fact pointing that out usually a sign of quite the opposite.

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-25-2014 at 02:19 AM.
post #8594 of 9765 Old 08-25-2014, 02:23 AM
AVS Special Member

WJZY's format is a lot closer to the usual tried and true for morning TV than the radical change they do in the evenings. The on air personalities are also much much closer to what you normally see on TV news. (a bit older, professionally dressed, more business like)

It is also a lot closer to their parent network in content. Lots of live cuts from Fox News for national content. Even a anecdote piece about the potential atomic bombing of Goldsboro, NC. Exciting stuff.

The rapping weatherman isn't showing us how to use a touchscreen. It's a tried and true weather forecast in front of a green screen map. Huge improvement.

The new morning set it nice. In fact they have spent a considerable amount of money on it. Ironically, due to the colors (red) and other materials they have used at times, it looks like they are standing on the WCCB set when Fox was there. Coincidence?

Looks as if they might be hedging their bets on format.

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-25-2014 at 03:19 AM.
post #8595 of 9765 Old 08-25-2014, 03:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
WJZY's format is a lot closer to the usual tried and true for morning TV than the radical change they do in the evenings. The on air personalities are also much much closer to what you normally see on TV news. (a bit older, professionally dressed, more business like)

It is also a lot closer to their parent network in content. Lots of live cuts from Fox News for national content. Even a anecdote piece about the potential atomic bombing of Goldsboro, NC. Exciting stuff.

The rapping weatherman isn't showing us how to use a touchscreen. It's a tried and true weather forecast in front of a green screen map. Huge improvement.

The new morning set it nice. In fact they have spent a considerable amount of money on it. Ironically, due to the colors (red) and other materials they have used at times, it looks like they are standing on the WCCB set when Fox was there. Coincidence?

Looks as if they might be hedging their bets on format.
Yes, it was a surprise. A little bit buttoned down. But, both newsreaders mispronounced the name of a city in the market, which suggests that form is still beating out function.
post #8596 of 9765 Old 08-25-2014, 04:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I think they hit a home run with this one. Though we only have one show so far I think it is as good, if not better, as any other news in Charlotte. It's definitely more watchable, IMO, than their competition. The on air talent is really good. Production is top notch.

Fox has obviously put a lot of time, effort and money into this one. Even Pat McCrory is supposed to show up. If they adopt this format for the evenings, I think the other channels are going to feel it in the ratings.
post #8597 of 9765 Old 08-25-2014, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes I agree good job with the morning show on WJZY. Now they just need make some adjustments to the evening newscast. And I think they should use the FOX-46 logo rather than My FOX Carolinas, to avoid confusion with WHNS-21 which is branded FOX Carolina. Because if you use an antenna their signals overlap.
post #8598 of 9765 Old 08-25-2014, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I did see a "Fox-46 Carolinas" on one of their promos.
post #8599 of 9765 Old 08-25-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Name dropping and telling us where you work are not substitutes for making a knowledgeable post. In fact pointing that out usually a sign of quite the opposite.
I have read enough of your posts to know how knowledgeable you are. "Nuff said.

post #8600 of 9765 Old 08-25-2014, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
I have read enough of your posts to know how knowledgeable you are. "Nuff said.
LOL

You try to have a nice rest of the day.
post #8601 of 9765 Old 08-25-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I suppose the next logical extension for WJZY would be to start up a 11am or noon News program. Given the amount of resources that FOX put into the morning sets, talent and production I can see them doing this.
post #8602 of 9765 Old 08-25-2014, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
I wonder if it's certain days of the week that the MeTV/AntennaTV captions go whacky... Earlier this week we had a good day. But for the last couple of days we have been back to all of the old issues.
Please PM me model, serial, and SW/FW version of your box. Thanks...

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #8603 of 9765 Old 08-25-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,

Thanks for the insights into the antenna. I bought a HBU-33 from Solid Signal. I installed in the attic as it was the quickest/easiest right now. 27ft above ground. Pointed it 331 degrees magnetic.

I figured that would get me WBTV, WCNC, WJZY & WMYT. I am only getting WBTV (3.1, 3.2) & WCNC (36.1, 36.2). Both of those channels are about 68 on the TV signal meter.

Any ideas on why I can't get the others?

Should I be expecting a stronger signal?

Thanks for any insights.
post #8604 of 9765 Old 08-25-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Insights? Just what I said earlier. A yagi design in the attic can be very problematic.

Quote:
Putting it in the attic, is a crap shoot. Differences in construction, materials, items in the attic that like to reflect signals, water/ice on roof etc, will all affect reliability. I don't recommend it. .....
Get a length of cable. Take down the antenna and temporarily connect it to your receiver with this cable and move outside with it and try it out. Put it on a temporary stand if you can. If you can get a decent signal, then the attic install is your issue. I'm assuming you have already checked the cabling.

That antenna should pick up everything in Charlotte with maybe the exception of WHKY and WUNG from Ft. Mill.

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-25-2014 at 12:53 PM.
post #8605 of 9765 Old 08-26-2014, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

It's fascinating and amazing to see, but WJZY & WMYT have dropped all their overnight infomercials and have replaced them with real content.

Maybe this coincides with their start of a morning news show. I wish the others stations would also drop the infomercials on their mainstream HD channels.

Fox is making some very nice investments in OTA in CLT. First class for sure.
post #8606 of 9765 Old 08-26-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinRG View Post
All,

Thanks for the insights into the antenna. I bought a HBU-33 from Solid Signal. I installed in the attic as it was the quickest/easiest right now. 27ft above ground. Pointed it 331 degrees magnetic.

I figured that would get me WBTV, WCNC, WJZY & WMYT. I am only getting WBTV (3.1, 3.2) & WCNC (36.1, 36.2). Both of those channels are about 68 on the TV signal meter.

Any ideas on why I can't get the others?

Should I be expecting a stronger signal?

Thanks for any insights.
The HBU-33 is a good antenna. Either the attic location is blocking the signal, or there is a cable or connection problem somewhere. Did you correctly install the matching transformer balun at the antenna and the coax? And is there a junction box somewhere that could be blocking the signal? From Ft. Mill, you should be able to get all of the Charlotte signals easily, as well as some Columbia and Greenville-Spartanburg. But putting the antenna outside would be the best idea. And I would also consider a Channel Master 3414 distribution amp if you have a long cable run or multiple splits.
post #8607 of 9765 Old 08-26-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I suppose the next logical extension for WJZY would be to start up a 11am or noon News program. Given the amount of resources that FOX put into the morning sets, talent and production I can see them doing this.
I would rather see them make improvements and adjustments to the evening newscasts first. They have indeed done a very good job with the morning show, but the evening programs seem to be a work in progress. Meanwhile, they just built a very nice new set for WAGA FOX-5 in Atlanta, and I would like to see them do something like that here.
post #8608 of 9765 Old 08-26-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

^I did notice last night that they did use the nice new green screen for video, than the large TV/touchscreen they were playing around with 6 months ago.

I might be an issue of letting some contracts burn off too.
post #8609 of 9765 Old 08-26-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Saw a promo for the new WJZY morning "news" program.

Looks as if they built a new set specifically for it. Looks like they have some sort of 50's retro diner thing going on along with the obligatory coffee mugs.
As I watch my Fox affiliate here in the oh so long (4:30-10am.. or something like that) News, most of the news really isn't news at all

Speaking of retro, back when I used to travel I-77 through your area (Very late 70's through early 90's), there seemed to be a popular format in radio on several stations in your area called "Carolina Beach Music", never quite put my finger on the exact format but seemed to be 50's or 60's type pop music.... perhaps just rebranding of what we would call oldies?

Sort of OT but yet it has to do with Audio & pertains to Broadcasting.

Speaking of which, your fourm goes much faster than our OTA, did your Grit Station Light up, the affiliate here 43.3 seems to have issues with aspect, the 1.33 movies are always in stretch-o-vision, & no PISP info yet.
post #8610 of 9765 Old 08-26-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

^^They are having some sort of technical delay and Grit TV has not yet debuted in Charlotte. But it is coming to WBTV 3.3 ... Not sure if any radio stations still have Beach music programs these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page