50Likes

post #8641 of 8826 Old 08-27-2014, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
Yepper. we have been seeing that all of a sudden on another older Sony set that one person here has. What is the model number
please?

There has been a lot of stuff replaced here of late. New PSIP Generators, Encoding, Microwave STL/TSL...
I will have to get that tonight and get back to you. It is five years old. But I have a nine year-old Sony that I haven't noticed this on... Go figure...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8642 of 8826 Old 08-27-2014, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
I thought about that. But if that's the situation, 18.1 The CW, 46.1 Fox, and 46.2 Movies! must have had the same sound on SAP, because they all got sound. It was only 18.2-4 that were muted.
Well, I haven't checked, but there's a good chance that the WCCB .2-.4 do not have any SAP., and there was the same program on the SAP of 18.1. The Second Audio control is the first thing I'd check.
post #8643 of 8826 Old 08-27-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
Two reasons:

1. In the case of Tivo you are subsidizing the cost of the unit because there is no other way you are going to get a DVR with it's capabilities for $49. You can avoid the fee with a "lifetime subscription". You basically pay the full hardware cost of the unit up front.
  2. 2 week EPG guide info is copyrighted and the providers want to be paid for providing the service. Most of it comes from Tribune and the fees flow back to them. I even pay $25/year to Schedules Direct for guide info.
You can go with the free EIT info transmitted by the stations, but these can be as little as a few hours or in the case of WBTV even disappear at times. It makes it useless for program scheduling.

Read this review, kind of just assumes you have cable & tekkie that wrote this thinks this will flop......

http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/25/tivo-roamio-ota/

So the price is 49.99 with a subscription or $199 without (??) & I can use my local EIT?

My idea of OTA is to keep away from monthly fees, did so long without a mobile, high speed internet, & never subscribed to a pay TV service (&to watch ads anyway?).

I'm not sure the Tvio can be just plain programmed like a VCR & I wouldn't like the 'virtual thinking' it does, seemed like the idea of that was to wear itself out, so you continously buy new.

My phone is not smart, it hangs on a wall, has a cord, it cannot ID you, says something like Stromberg Carlson, ITT or Western Electric on it, it works when the power is out & if I chucked at someone it would hurt.... & probably not break!
post #8644 of 8826 Old 08-27-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
I thought about that. But if that's the situation, 18.1 The CW, 46.1 Fox, and 46.2 Movies! must have had the same sound on SAP, because they all got sound. It was only 18.2-4 that were muted.
It could be a really "smart" TV and remember such settings/channel. Isn't all this fancy technology just great?
post #8645 of 8826 Old 08-27-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
The HBU-33 is a good antenna. Either the attic location is blocking the signal, or there is a cable or connection problem somewhere. Did you correctly install the matching transformer balun at the antenna and the coax? And is there a junction box somewhere that could be blocking the signal? From Ft. Mill, you should be able to get all of the Charlotte signals easily, as well as some Columbia and Greenville-Spartanburg. But putting the antenna outside would be the best idea. And I would also consider a Channel Master 3414 distribution amp if you have a long cable run or multiple splits.
Thanks. I have a few more questions:

1. To test the antenna, I disconnected the Comporium cable from outside. I ran the antenna from the attic & tied into my cable connector in the bonus room. This "backfed" the signal into my distro box in downstairs closet & from there, out to the other cable outlets. One of which had the TV connected to it. Could the distro box be blocking any certain frequencies? I wouldn't have thought so...

2. If I mounted the antenna outside, it would mount on back of house & point towards the front (i.e. towards the roof). Does it need to be above the roof peak?

3. I would be connecting into the house coax outside where the cable currently connects. Where does the amp need to be mounted - close to the antenna (at the mast) or would it go down near where the cable enters house, or could it go in my distribution box within the house?
post #8646 of 8826 Old 08-27-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinRG View Post
Thanks. I have a few more questions:
  1. Antennas don't have nearly the power of an amplified cable signal. That distribution system is going to degrade the signal. (and who knows what the cable jockey did) I get a separate cable and run it straight to the TV, maybe through a window.
  2. It needs to be above the roof, if the roof is between the antenna & signal.
  3. Are you going with a pre-amp or a distribution amp.
post #8647 of 8826 Old 08-27-2014, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Read this review, kind of just assumes you have cable & tekkie that wrote this thinks this will flop......

http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/25/tivo-roamio-ota/

So the price is 49.99 with a subscription or $199 without (??) & I can use my local EIT?

My idea of OTA is to keep away from monthly fees, did so long without a mobile, high speed internet, & never subscribed to a pay TV service (&to watch ads anyway?).

I'm not sure the Tvio can be just plain programmed like a VCR & I wouldn't like the 'virtual thinking' it does, seemed like the idea of that was to wear itself out, so you continously buy new.

My phone is not smart, it hangs on a wall, has a cord, it cannot ID you, says something like Stromberg Carlson, ITT or Western Electric on it, it works when the power is out & if I chucked at someone it would hurt.... & probably not break!
I applaud your point of view. For some things, the old way of doing things was better than the modern way. Those VCR's were not all that hard to program manually, and many of them would get the time automatically from the local PBS station, so very few people had to suffer with a clock that flashed 12:00.

In the old days, people had very little money for necessities like fancy cars and flashy phones, but somehow they survived, and they even had a bit of scratch to spend on luxuries like food, clothing, and shelter.

OK, end of curmudgeonly rant.
post #8648 of 8826 Old 08-27-2014, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well.... I don't need to read a review. I have first hand experience. My 70+ year old Mom has a Tivo Roameo and has been using it with an Antennacraft HBU-33 since November. She loves it and the $14.99 fee is nothing compared to the $104/month she is saving by getting rid of that horrible TWC DVR and service.

All her friends who have seen it want it too. It has Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc all built into the box and the very excellent Tivo Recommendation system will recommend shows based on what you watch OTA. It's the only box that I've seen that does this. It's all integrated into a very nice interface that is easy to use with a nice heavy well built remote. For non-tech cord cutter, it's a very nice, plug & play box that does what it does very well.

It's not for everyone as I'm sure there are still some out there who won't give up that black & white CRT TV and don't mind that it only shows snow now. However for the rest, I doubt it will be a flop.

A lot of people want a DVR, don't want the hassle of building one (and I know that takes) so the cost for them is very small when you consider the amount of entertainment that it makes available.

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-27-2014 at 11:50 PM.
post #8649 of 8826 Old 08-28-2014, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 71
New Shows coming in January to AntennaTv: http://antennatv.tv/

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #8650 of 8826 Old 08-28-2014, 07:28 AM
mjh

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
No. The price is $49.99 + $15 monthly subscription or $49.99 + $499.99 for a lifetime subscription. I do not believe the TiVos use EIT at all, so I don't think that helps you.
Quote:
I opted for the lifetime subscription for both of my TiVo's. This has an additional advantage in that if I decide to sell them, I get a decent return on the price of the lifetime subscription. Search ebay for the prices of TiVos w/lifetime sub and those without. Buying the lifetime subscription allows you to earn back some of that subscription cost when (if) you sell your TiVo. For me the issue isn't monthly fees. It's getting value for my dollar. Pay tv is just too expensive for the value. But a DVR is very valuable and I'm happy to have paid what I did for my fully subscribed TiVos.

That said I'm contemplating selling my TiVos on ebay. I suspect I could get $700 for both. And then replacing them with mythtv on my existing server and xbmc on raspberry pi's for the front end. The replacment would cost about $100, and then I'd spend some of the remaining $600 for additional disk space for the server. Only problem with this is the amount of time it takes to set up.
post #8651 of 8826 Old 08-28-2014, 07:32 AM
mjh

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Well.... I don't need to read a review. I have first hand experience. My 70+ year old Mom has a Tivo Roameo and has been using it with an Antennacraft HBU-33 since November. She loves it and the $14.99 fee is nothing compared to the $104/month she is saving by getting rid of that horrible TWC DVR and service.
You should seriously consider buying the lifetime subscription rather than paying $15/mo. As I mentioned above, you can sell TiVos with lifetime for a lot more than those without. Which means that you can recoup some of your subscription fees. It's really quite a good deal over the life of the device.
post #8652 of 8826 Old 08-28-2014, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
Doesn't anyone still make a DVR for cheapskates? A DVR that you can manually program to record a show, the way people used to program VCRs manually?
Amen to that! ^^

TY all for your insights! Looking to replace a Panasonic DMR-ES20S comboed with a Zenith 901 for my dad, The Mediasonic 150 with + a USB Hard Drive looks like a great alternative. I just been using a VCR with the Zenith 901 for time shift.... but all I seem to record is older movies from This, Bounce, Ect.

Better Buys said the OTA Tivos are like $600, so the $499 + $50 makes sense for the Lifetime Subscription, was going to stop up there, though I guess this answers my question, aside there is no Tivo product standalone that you can just manually program.... a shame.
post #8653 of 8826 Old 08-28-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
You should seriously consider buying the lifetime subscription rather than paying $15/mo. As I mentioned above, you can sell TiVos with lifetime for a lot more than those without. Which means that you can recoup some of your subscription fees. It's really quite a good deal over the life of the device.
I believe they still have that $100 off promo code for Lifetime service. And they should also deduct the $15 a month charge you have been paying the past 8 months if you purchase the Lifetime subscription plan.
post #8654 of 8826 Old 08-28-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

^A lot of on the cord cutters subreddit are not particularly happy with the HomeWorx HW-150PVR. They end up getting something else. You might want to investigate Simple.TV or Tablo however these also have certain shortcomings.
post #8655 of 8826 Old 08-28-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
New Shows coming in January to AntennaTv: http://antennatv.tv/
I think having both AntennaTV and MeTV as neighboring subchannels is a great combination. I just wish a GSP station would pick up AntennaTV since I don't reliably receive WCCB at my location. Ironically I get 2 channels of ThisTV on 4.2 and 55.2, but I seldom watch that.
post #8656 of 8826 Old 08-28-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^A lot of on the cord cutters subreddit are not particularly happy with the HomeWorx HW-150PVR. They end up getting something else. You might want to investigate Simple.TV or Tablo however these also have certain shortcomings.
Those Homeworx and iView boxes are a bit buggy as a DVR. But they do function well as a cheap HD converter box with HDMI connection. The original converter boxes back in 2009 did not have HDMI, only SD video. But if TiVo is a bit pricey for a DVR, then I would indeed look at Simple.TV, Tablo, or Channel Master DVR+ as alternative choices.
post #8657 of 8826 Old 08-28-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Those Homeworx and iView boxes are a bit buggy as a DVR. But they do function well as a cheap HD converter box with HDMI connection. .
That's my view too..I have an iView3500 in my pile, for the price with HDMI for a tuner only it's not a bad unit.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #8658 of 8826 Old 08-28-2014, 12:25 PM

Bob, out of curiousity, where does WCCB get its national news feeds? For the other stations, the answer is obvious - WBTV-CBS, WSOC-ABC, WCNC-NBC, WJZY-FoxNews, but I don't believe the CW has a news division. Thanks.
post #8659 of 8826 Old 08-28-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mostly a CNN Service

We are also back on the "new" encoding chain. Please check your Sony Tv and let me know about the CC from the DVR. Again, thanks for all the help here.

Bob

post #8660 of 8826 Old 08-28-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

This is a very bad smart phone photo of a test antenna that I built yesterday. It's a Yagi design optimized for 478 Mhz.

It wasn't designed for general usage, but even as poorly installed as this, (crooked, not particularly aimed at anything, sitting in an old umbrella stand on top of a ladder) it's picking up 27 Charlotte channels here near Hicks Crossroads. It's less than 5' long and pretty light. The longest element is about 11 inches i.e. antenna is only 11 inches wide. No insulators.

It shows what the DIYer can do for little effort and money. Not much of a BOM.
  • 5' - 3/4" electrical conduit - Boom
  • 1/8" aluminum welding rods - passive elements
  • #6 AWG copper wire - driven element
  • 3/4" plastic water pipe

I doubt that I have $7 in it. It's very sturdy and would hold up under the elements if installed outside. It's not hard to build but you do need to keep an approximately ~50 mil tolerance. If someone wants more info, I will bust out the SLR and take a better photo.

Unfortunately it doesn't have enough pure gain for what I want so I don't know how long I will keep it around. I'm going to connect a Winegard LNA 200 to it to pick up some more data.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aerial.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	233913  

Last edited by blackcat6; 08-28-2014 at 01:06 PM.
post #8661 of 8826 Old 08-28-2014, 01:16 PM

Will do.

That's interesting, because you would think that since CBS owns the CW, they could repackage some reports and vary the format just enough, to offer CW affiliates national/world news items.
post #8662 of 8826 Old 08-28-2014, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
This is a very bad smart phone photo of a test antenna that I built yesterday. It's a Yagi design optimized for 478 Mhz.

It wasn't designed for general usage, but even as poorly installed as this, (crooked, not particularly aimed at anything, sitting in an old umbrella stand on top of a ladder) it's picking up 27 Charlotte channels here near Hicks Crossroads. It's less than 5' long and pretty light. The longest element is about 11 inches i.e. antenna is only 11 inches wide. No insulators.

It shows what the DIYer can do for little effort and money. Not much of a BOM.
  • 5' - 3/4" electrical conduit - Boom
  • 1/8" aluminum welding rods - passive elements
  • #6 AWG copper wire - driven element
  • 3/4" plastic water pipe

I doubt that I have $7 in it. It's very sturdy and would hold up under the elements if installed outside. It's not hard to build but you do need to keep an approximately ~50 mil tolerance. If someone wants more info, I will bust out the SLR and take a better photo.

Unfortunately it doesn't have enough pure gain for what I want so I don't know how long I will keep it around. I'm going to connect a Winegard LNA 200 to it to pick up some more data.
I'm impressed. I have a thought.. I've never done this outdoors, as I've been satisfied with how bowties were doing. But, indoors, I've employed a line of aluminum soda cans as passive reflectors with some interesting results..It is very interesting how curved surfaces reflect. No lose if they are not effective, but, if they are, they can be painted white..
post #8663 of 8826 Old 08-28-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Those Homeworx and iView boxes are a bit buggy as a DVR. But they do function well as a cheap HD converter box with HDMI connection. The original converter boxes back in 2009 did not have HDMI, only SD video. But if TiVo is a bit pricey for a DVR, then I would indeed look at Simple.TV, Tablo, or Channel Master DVR+ as alternative choices.
Looking at the HomeWorx 150 & iView 3500, they seem alike aside of the extra display on the iView, are the tuners the same (From what I hear pretty good, but I'm in the fringes & know certain tuners weren't up to par)? Even the manuals seem like portions are verbatim.
post #8664 of 8826 Old 08-28-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Looking at the HomeWorx 150 & iView 3500, .
There is an endless thread over in the HDTV Recorders section that will answer all of your questions.

Bob

post #8665 of 8826 Old 08-28-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by difuse View Post
.....It is very interesting how curved surfaces reflect. No lose if they are not effective, but, if they are, they can be painted white..
Thanks for the comments. I've built bowtie antennas before, but IMO, they are not that good at picking up difficult signals and it's very difficult to build them properly to fix this. This Yagi in comparison is much simpler and definitely more physically manageable. The simulator says it has ~11db gain. (I've no equipment to validate this however)

I might go get a 10' piece of conduit and try this again. A 14 element boom would have much more gain than this 8 element one. The other option is to stack it. I could clone this one and then mount them together. Unfortunately I should have added a 2nd plumbing tee to do this.

For the kind of antennas we are talking about VHF/UHF a badly placed reflector can reduce the signal received.
post #8666 of 8826 Old 08-28-2014, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the comments. I've built bowtie antennas before, but IMO, they are not that good at picking up difficult signals and it's very difficult to build them properly to fix this. This Yagi in comparison is much simpler and definitely more physically manageable. The simulator says it has ~11db gain. (I've no equipment to validate this however)

I might go get a 10' piece of conduit and try this again. A 14 element boom would have much more gain than this 8 element one. The other option is to stack it. I could clone this one and then mount them together. Unfortunately I should have added a 2nd plumbing tee to do this.

For the kind of antennas we are talking about VHF/UHF a badly placed reflector can reduce the signal received.
All true. My affinity for the stacked bowties is that they are not all that directional. I'm not entirely sure I could receive any more stations than I do reliably.with a more directional set-up, but, I am sure I would have to move the antenna more often. Easy enough indoors, but a pain outside.
post #8667 of 8826 Old 08-28-2014, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
I think having both AntennaTV and MeTV as neighboring subchannels is a great combination. I just wish a GSP station would pick up AntennaTV since I don't reliably receive WCCB at my location. Ironically I get 2 channels of ThisTV on 4.2 and 55.2, but I seldom watch that.
"Evening Shade" sounds good. Wasn't that from the producers of "Designing Women"? Julia Sugarbaker was a hoot. She always gave the troglodytes (and anyone she considered to be a troglodyte) a good tongue lashing.
post #8668 of 8826 Old 08-28-2014, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
At approximately 9:15 PM WBTV's signal disappeared. Gone on Charter Cable and my OTA tuner.

Mike Fields

Last edited by cs51762; 08-28-2014 at 07:04 PM.
post #8669 of 8826 Old 08-28-2014, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
If anybody in charlotte area that has FamilyNet on cable or dish network Start Monday Sept 1 they will start airing alot of classic TV shows from Sony Pictures.

schedule http://schedule.familynet.com/
post #8670 of 8826 Old 08-28-2014, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs51762 View Post
At approximately 9:15 PM WBTV's signal disappeared. Gone on Charter Cable and my OTA tuner.
Disappeared again at 11:35pm OTA. But returned a minute later.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page