43Likes

post #8641 of 8649 Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
Yepper. we have been seeing that all of a sudden on another older Sony set that one person here has. What is the model number
please?

There has been a lot of stuff replaced here of late. New PSIP Generators, Encoding, Microwave STL/TSL...
I will have to get that tonight and get back to you. It is five years old. But I have a nine year-old Sony that I haven't noticed this on... Go figure...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8642 of 8649 Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
I thought about that. But if that's the situation, 18.1 The CW, 46.1 Fox, and 46.2 Movies! must have had the same sound on SAP, because they all got sound. It was only 18.2-4 that were muted.
Well, I haven't checked, but there's a good chance that the WCCB .2-.4 do not have any SAP., and there was the same program on the SAP of 18.1. The Second Audio control is the first thing I'd check.
post #8643 of 8649 Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
Two reasons:

1. In the case of Tivo you are subsidizing the cost of the unit because there is no other way you are going to get a DVR with it's capabilities for $49. You can avoid the fee with a "lifetime subscription". You basically pay the full hardware cost of the unit up front.
  2. 2 week EPG guide info is copyrighted and the providers want to be paid for providing the service. Most of it comes from Tribune and the fees flow back to them. I even pay $25/year to Schedules Direct for guide info.
You can go with the free EIT info transmitted by the stations, but these can be as little as a few hours or in the case of WBTV even disappear at times. It makes it useless for program scheduling.

Read this review, kind of just assumes you have cable & tekkie that wrote this thinks this will flop......

http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/25/tivo-roamio-ota/

So the price is 49.99 with a subscription or $199 without (??) & I can use my local EIT?

My idea of OTA is to keep away from monthly fees, did so long without a mobile, high speed internet, & never subscribed to a pay TV service (&to watch ads anyway?).

I'm not sure the Tvio can be just plain programmed like a VCR & I wouldn't like the 'virtual thinking' it does, seemed like the idea of that was to wear itself out, so you continously buy new.

My phone is not smart, it hangs on a wall, has a cord, it cannot ID you, says something like Stromberg Carlson, ITT or Western Electric on it, it works when the power is out & if I chucked at someone it would hurt.... & probably not break!
post #8644 of 8649 Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
I thought about that. But if that's the situation, 18.1 The CW, 46.1 Fox, and 46.2 Movies! must have had the same sound on SAP, because they all got sound. It was only 18.2-4 that were muted.
It could be a really "smart" TV and remember such settings/channel. Isn't all this fancy technology just great?
post #8645 of 8649 Old Yesterday, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
The HBU-33 is a good antenna. Either the attic location is blocking the signal, or there is a cable or connection problem somewhere. Did you correctly install the matching transformer balun at the antenna and the coax? And is there a junction box somewhere that could be blocking the signal? From Ft. Mill, you should be able to get all of the Charlotte signals easily, as well as some Columbia and Greenville-Spartanburg. But putting the antenna outside would be the best idea. And I would also consider a Channel Master 3414 distribution amp if you have a long cable run or multiple splits.
Thanks. I have a few more questions:

1. To test the antenna, I disconnected the Comporium cable from outside. I ran the antenna from the attic & tied into my cable connector in the bonus room. This "backfed" the signal into my distro box in downstairs closet & from there, out to the other cable outlets. One of which had the TV connected to it. Could the distro box be blocking any certain frequencies? I wouldn't have thought so...

2. If I mounted the antenna outside, it would mount on back of house & point towards the front (i.e. towards the roof). Does it need to be above the roof peak?

3. I would be connecting into the house coax outside where the cable currently connects. Where does the amp need to be mounted - close to the antenna (at the mast) or would it go down near where the cable enters house, or could it go in my distribution box within the house?
post #8646 of 8649 Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinRG View Post
Thanks. I have a few more questions:
  1. Antennas don't have nearly the power of an amplified cable signal. That distribution system is going to degrade the signal. (and who knows what the cable jockey did) I get a separate cable and run it straight to the TV, maybe through a window.
  2. It needs to be above the roof, if the roof is between the antenna & signal.
  3. Are you going with a pre-amp or a distribution amp.
post #8647 of 8649 Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Read this review, kind of just assumes you have cable & tekkie that wrote this thinks this will flop......

http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/25/tivo-roamio-ota/

So the price is 49.99 with a subscription or $199 without (??) & I can use my local EIT?

My idea of OTA is to keep away from monthly fees, did so long without a mobile, high speed internet, & never subscribed to a pay TV service (&to watch ads anyway?).

I'm not sure the Tvio can be just plain programmed like a VCR & I wouldn't like the 'virtual thinking' it does, seemed like the idea of that was to wear itself out, so you continously buy new.

My phone is not smart, it hangs on a wall, has a cord, it cannot ID you, says something like Stromberg Carlson, ITT or Western Electric on it, it works when the power is out & if I chucked at someone it would hurt.... & probably not break!
I applaud your point of view. For some things, the old way of doing things was better than the modern way. Those VCR's were not all that hard to program manually, and many of them would get the time automatically from the local PBS station, so very few people had to suffer with a clock that flashed 12:00.

In the old days, people had very little money for necessities like fancy cars and flashy phones, but somehow they survived, and they even had a bit of scratch to spend on luxuries like food, clothing, and shelter.

OK, end of curmudgeonly rant.
post #8648 of 8649 Old Yesterday, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Well.... I don't need to read a review. I have first hand experience. My 70+ year old Mom has a Tivo Roameo and has been using it with an Antennacraft HBU-33 since November. She loves it and the $14.99 fee is nothing compared to the $104/month she is saving by getting rid of that horrible TWC DVR and service.

All her friends who have seen it want it too. It has Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc all built into the box and the very excellent Tivo Recommendation system will recommend shows based on what you watch OTA. It's the only box that I've seen that does this. It's all integrated into a very nice interface that is easy to use with a nice heavy well built remote. For non-tech cord cutter, it's a very nice, plug & play box that does what it does very well.

It's not for everyone as I'm sure there are still some out there who won't give up that black & white CRT TV and don't mind that it only shows snow now. However for the rest, I doubt it will be a flop.

A lot of people want a DVR, don't want the hassle of building one (and I know that takes) so the cost for them is very small when you consider the amount of entertainment that it makes available.

Last edited by blackcat6; Yesterday at 11:50 PM.
post #8649 of 8649 Old Today, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 68
New Shows coming in January to AntennaTv: http://antennatv.tv/

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page