post #8701 of 8704 Old Today, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejb1980 View Post

I realize that that was a long post about out of market stations. But it goes to show that sometimes the location of a sweet spot is in a far-from-logical place.
My problem was caused by a mathematics error that I made in the derived impedance that I used to build the antenna. This is why rebuilt the driven element by changing the length of the copper loop and electrically floating it. The mark II antena works fine in either location. The engineer in me doesn't like to rely on assumptions which is why I kept at it until I discovered what was causing my problem. i.e. Theory did not match tested results.

IMO strange unexplainable things & sweet spots are almost always caused by something real, but unknown. With antenna installs, I'd say that 99x out of 100 it's either due to the wrong antenna, cabling, and unknowns related to indoor/attic installs. The first two are easy to deal with. The latter....????

This is why I don't recommend attic installs and nobody else should who claims to know something about it. Sure, it can be made to work but for anyone wanting to just watch TV without a research project should expect on going issues if they go there. A few will get lucky but gambling is something I'd rather do at a craps table. Spending a day in a hot attic, pulling cable, etc. can be quite a let down when the results don't match the expectations.

Last edited by blackcat6; Today at 01:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8702 of 8704 Old Today, 04:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstang View Post
Today I noticed what I think is a radar dome on a tower near the Oakdale section of NW Charlotte. The round dome is too small to be a water tower I think. Would that be related to weather radar and any of the Charlotte TV News Departments?
The Charlotte Terminal Doppler Weather Radar, installed by the FAA, is in the area, off Miranda Rd. near Beatties Ford Rd.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/gsp/tdwr/info/specs.html
post #8703 of 8704 Old Today, 04:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
My problem was caused by a mathematics error that I made in the derived impedance that I used to build the antenna. .

You didn't double check the math before construction? Isn't that a basic engineering tenet? That could have been costly had it made it to the production line....

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!

Last edited by bdfox18doe; Today at 04:36 AM.
post #8704 of 8704 Old Today, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
You didn't double check the math before construction? Isn't that a basic engineering tenet? That could have been costly had it made it to the production line....
I have a copy of Antenna Theory and Design, by Stutzman and Thiele. The copy I have has a floppy disk in the back cover for formulas. That and a TI-83 Calculator were mandatory for my old classes.

Bob helped me with my MPEG classes because there are things implied that are not explained in classes that well.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page