AVS Forum banner

Charlotte, NC - OTA

1M views 17K replies 446 participants last post by  Mark Vidonic 
#1 ·
I'm in zip code 28269 (north side of Charlotte, between 85 & 77). Towers are clustered at 160 degrees and 280 degrees with one (WUNG) at 94 degrees. I have some headend equipment that combines signals from many directions into a single downlead. I'm still tinkering with it, and most recently I had to remove the signal for channel 18 (analog) because it interfered with other channels. Below are my typical readings for digital stations. These measurements come from a "MyHD" tuner card that provides a "percent reception" measurement:

11 PBS Charlotte 58-64%

15 PBS Rock Hill (no signal)

22 NBC 69-75%

23 CBS 58-64%

27 FOX 58-64%

34 ABC 49-53% **

39 WB 58-64%

44 PBS Concord 0-13% (not usable yet, but I'm not giving-up)

47 UPN 58-64%

50 AXN 32-36%

** Recently ABC has been at 32-36%

--Dale--

See less See more
#5,883 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill875  /t/486246/charlotte-nc-ota/5880#post_23409364

Can the Dallas tower antennas be stacked like they are on the top of the Willis (Sears) Tower in Chicago? Wouldn't that eliminate the side mount issues?
WBTV has a top mounted stick antenna which is omnidirectional, but the other Dallas antennas are still side mounted. The side mounts may produce a strong signal in their main direction, but can have a null in another direction. WCNC had a permit to top mount, but has not yet acted. However, I get a strong signal from all of the Dallas towers at 75 miles, so the tall height seems to play a more critical role.

#5,884 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill875  /t/486246/charlotte-nc-ota/5880#post_23409364

Can the Dallas tower antennas be stacked like they are on the top of the Willis (Sears) Tower in Chicago? Wouldn't that eliminate the side mount issues?
Not sure if a 2000ft tower could support a 3-way stack all on the top. Could be a danger of collapse. But the TV Hill tower in Baltimore supports multiple antennas such as WJZ and WBAL, but not as tall. Also a similar TV tower in Atlanta. But again a shorter tower.

#5,885 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo1080  /t/486246/charlotte-nc-ota/5850#post_23408722

....Its height! I keep telling you that. Height trumps power at UHF. WAVY and WVEC both had 1000Kw.

Ted

No doubt why I have a easier time picking up WUNE at 100kw ~70+ miles away than WUNG in Concord at 150kw ~20 miles away. The WUNE antenna, according to the FCC database is over 5000 ft up there. I wish that UNC-TV would put up the same power station in Concord as they have in RDU.

#5,886 ·
WLOS also has a very tall tower on top of Mt. Pisgah, but unfortunately they do not take full advantage of that superb height, as they have a problematic signal on RF13. I believe it may be side mounted and directional to avoid interference with WBTW in Florence, SC which is also RF13. It would have been awesome if WLOS could have remained UHF, but it was not meant to be. They are supposedly going to add some translators to better serve Upstate SC. But if you have a good VHF antenna, you may be able to receive WLOS and WSPA RF7 as far as Gastonia. And WSPA may be received in parts of Mecklenburg, not sure. WSPA also has a tall tower on Hogback Mtn, and it does not have a limited directional signal like WLOS.

#5,887 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC  /t/486246/charlotte-nc-ota/5880#post_23410484

WLOS also has a very tall tower on top of Mt. Pisgah, but unfortunately they do not take full advantage of that superb height, as they have a problematic signal on RF13. I believe it may be side mounted and directional to avoid interference with WBTW in Florence, SC which is also RF13. It would have been awesome if WLOS could have remained UHF, but it was not meant to be. They are supposedly going to add some translators to better serve Upstate SC. But if you have a good VHF antenna, you may be able to receive WLOS and WSPA RF7 as far as Gastonia. And WSPA may be received in parts of Mecklenburg, not sure. WSPA also has a tall tower on Hogback Mtn, and it does not have a limited directional signal like WLOS.

I have heard that the New Tryon, NC translator for WLOS will working this summer. No firm date.

#5,889 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k  /t/486246/charlotte-nc-ota/5880#post_23413746

Anyone having trouble with WSOC/WAXN tonight? As of 11:30pm both aren't coming in for me, both are usually strong. WCCB is fine though, pulling from the same general area.
Last night weather conditions created reception problems when the storms came through. I lost WJZY and WMYT for a while, and had some issues with WLOS. WSOC and WCCB did not come in as they often do at night. And I was getting WIS, WOLO, and WAGT from Columbia and Augusta which I normally do not receive. But things are back to normal this morning.

#5,890 ·
For some reason, Channel 96.1 has not been broadcasting their HD Radio digital signal for the past few days. I know their radio antenna is on the WJZY TV tower in Dallas, along with Kiss 95.1. I get a good signal from both stations, although 95.1 has not yet begun HD Radio broadcasting as previously planned. Also get 107.9 the Link HD Radio signal. But all of a sudden it is hard to find a good HD Radio tuner other than car radios. But there is an Insignia boombox at Best Buy. But the Sony and Accurian radios are no longer available.

#5,891 ·
Just curious as to who will replace Morgan Fogerty on WCCB. Is Israel still there?

Its gonna be hard to replace her. I think she was among the best newscasters in the region. Rarely ever flubbed a storyline, clear and concise voice, and damn nice eye candy to boot.

I have not watched the tube for a while, so I am not sure what is going on here.

#5,892 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Boy  /t/486246/charlotte-nc-ota/5880#post_23416846

Just curious as to who will replace Morgan Fogerty on WCCB. Is Israel still there?

Its gonna be hard to replace her. I think she was among the best newscasters in the region. Rarely ever flubbed a storyline, clear and concise voice, and damn nice eye candy to boot.

I have not watched the tube for a while, so I am not sure what is going on here.
Charlotte Observer said today she is leaving to pursue a national network opportunity. Israel Balderas was let go following a verbal altercation with another employee, according to the Observer report. Same as before with the previous anchorman, although reportedly in that case an argument allegedly escalated to assault. So a tough time of transition at WCCB, as they are losing both of their lead anchors, their news director, and the FOX affiliation all about the same time. But I'm sure they will work hard to move forward.

#5,893 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC  /t/486246/charlotte-nc-ota/5880#post_23416487

For some reason, Channel 96.1 has not been broadcasting their HD Radio digital signal for the past few days. I know their radio antenna is on the WJZY TV tower in Dallas, along with Kiss 95.1. I get a good signal from both stations, although 95.1 has not yet begun HD Radio broadcasting as previously planned. Also get 107.9 the Link HD Radio signal. But all of a sudden it is hard to find a good HD Radio tuner other than car radios. But there is an Insignia boombox at Best Buy. But the Sony and Accurian radios are no longer available.

I don't know for sure but I would speculate something in the HD system failed that they don't have a backup for. At this point very few people know IBOC exists. Not many stations make any additional revenue on it. Hard to justify a backup for something that doesn't make money. Someday it will catch on but it is not quite there...

I notice here in Race City USA their signal is weak. They may be on the backup transmitter site at Stewart Andrew. I am almost positive they have no HD gear there...

hh

#5,894 ·
Here in Greenville, the Clt HD Radio signals drop in and out in the car, but mostly stay locked once you get into Spartanburg. But I have a wire in the glass antenna, not the stick antenna which would be more ideal. But you can definitely notice an upgrade in the audio quality when the HD signal kicks in. But with rabbit ears in the house, I can get the Clt HD Radio signals locked in from 96.1, 101.9, 107.9, and sometimes 102.9. I have a Sony HD Radio tuner and a Sony tabletop HD Radio, and an Accurian HD Radio from RadioShack. They all sound great connected to Logitech 2.1 computer speakers I got a few years back at Target for $39 on sale. But more of the IBOC signals need to increase power, and HD Radio needs to be marketed much better like the HDTV transition. And they need to start making affordable HD Radios again.

#5,895 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC  /t/486246/charlotte-nc-ota/5880#post_23417041

Charlotte Observer said today she is leaving to pursue a national network opportunity. Israel Balderas was let go following a verbal altercation with another employee, according to the Observer report. Same as before with the previous anchorman, although reportedly in that case an argument allegedly escalated to assault. So a tough time of transition at WCCB, as they are losing both of their lead anchors, their news director, and the FOX affiliation all about the same time. But I'm sure they will work hard to move forward.

Who did those guys get into arguments with? Anybody know who and what it was about?

I really liked Israel. he seemed to have a good personality. Seems strange that the male anchors are getting fired for arguing and fighting.

#5,896 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country_Boy  /t/486246/charlotte-nc-ota/5880#post_23422259

Who did those guys get into arguments with? Anybody know who and was it was about?

I really liked Israel. he seemed to have a good personality. Seems strange that the male anchors are getting fired for arguing and fighting.
Don't know any more details other than what was reported in the newspaper. But this is now old news and they are now moving forward. A time of transition at WCCB.

#5,897 ·
Apparently Gannett Co. is buying out Belo, which means a new owner for WCNC. Maybe they will institute some needed cosmetic changes, but higher standards of journalism may be on the decline. Based upon how they have operated WUSA-9 in Washington, DC, and WFMY-2 in Greensboro. Both of those heritage stations no longer produce the high caliber product they used to. In DC, WUSA fired all of their veteran anchors as they got older, and they were quickly rehired at WJLA-7. WUSA used to produce outstanding news reporting, but not so much anymore. But it looks very slick cosmetic wise, and perhaps that aspect could help WCNC. But at least Belo has attempted quality journalisn at WCNC, so it will be interesting to see how Gannett moves forward. But they have also allowed the news product to decline at WFMY in Greensboro, so we shall see. Hopefully they will at least get WCNC upgraded to high definition for the local news.

#5,900 ·
Speaking of WCNC, I wonder if they finally increased to full power 1000kw. Their construction permit expired April 22. But I have been getting stronger signal strength readings the past few weeks, which is why I was wondering. And very few weather related dropouts which used to be more common. I used to get 7 or 8 bars, now up to 8 to 10 consistently, with 10 bars most of the time. They also had a permit to top mount their antenna, but I don't think that happened, as I believe they are still side mounted. They still have a directional antenna to protect interference with WHNS RF21 Fox Carolina. I did install a new Kitztech 200 low noise amp, so that could be the explanation. But looks like they would have wanted to increase to the full power level they had requested, as I believe they have been around 790kw.