post #8851 of 8876 Old 09-26-2014, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
^There are probably a lot of stay at home Moms who probably didn't mind it that much.
Next thing you know, the station will be asking the FCC whether the programming meets its E/I obligations.

It must be important, because it's on the station's web site.

http://www.myfoxcarolinas.com/story/...ief-discussion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8852 of 8876 Old 09-26-2014, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got WAXN-TV tonight. Had extra sub 64.5 same as 64.1
post #8853 of 8876 Old 09-27-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by realoldman View Post
Got WAXN-TV tonight. Had extra sub 64.5 same as 64.1
Good weather conditions. I sometimes get 64.1 and 64.5 at night as well. But more often I get 9.1 at night and sometimes 9.5, which are both HD. 9.5 and 64.5 is the translator, and 64.5 is SD.
post #8854 of 8876 Old 09-28-2014, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

The Panthers game is on CBS this week instead of FOX, so fortunately WBTV is carrying the early game this week. As well as WSPA.
post #8855 of 8876 Old 09-28-2014, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
The Panthers game is on CBS this week instead of FOX, so fortunately WBTV is carrying the early game this week. As well as WSPA.
This weekend was also unique in that WJZY and WHNS split, and both aired separate late games. I can't recall them ever airing different games in the same time slot... though WBTV & WSPA have frequently.
post #8856 of 8876 Old 09-29-2014, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Just wondering if any of the local radio/TV stations got knocked off the air 25 years ago during Hurricane Hugo. I was in Northern Virginia at the time and listened to coverage on 11.10 WBT at night. And I have seen the video where the roof fell in on Larry Sprinkle at the old WCNC studio. Surprising that a coastal storm good do so much damage as far inland as Charlotte.
WSOC stayed on, because I can remember running a battery connection from my car into the house to a Sony Walkman TV, and watching "Life Goes On" on ABC.

I also heard that WBT temporarily lost it's ability to change to the night-signal the way AM stations are required to do. I bet they were in no hurry to get that problem corrected, because they can broadcast further leaving the day signal on after dark.
post #8857 of 8876 Old 09-29-2014, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
I also heard that WBT temporarily lost it's ability to change to the night-signal the way AM stations are required to do. I bet they were in no hurry to get that problem corrected, because they can broadcast further leaving the day signal on after dark.
AM Stations use multiple towers to generate a directional pattern. Tower A and Tower C were mostly destroyed by the storm. Both were folded over above the guy wires. Because the towers are tuned radiators there was no way to use them once the towers were damaged.

WBT applied for and was granted a Special Temporary Authorization to operate non-directional a reduced power at night until the towers could be repaired. The nighttime power was less than half the daytime power of 50KW.

It was a very lengthy process to repair the towers as Kline Iron and Steel from Columbia had to measure each piece on the B Tower that was damaged on A and C and cut them on site.

BT was already running Non-D due to the emergency nature of the storm so he was never off the air for more than a few seconds.

hh
post #8858 of 8876 Old 09-29-2014, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
AM Stations use multiple towers to generate a directional pattern. Tower A and Tower C were mostly destroyed by the storm. Both were folded over above the guy wires. Because the towers are tuned radiators there was no way to use them once the towers were damaged.

WBT applied for and was granted a Special Temporary Authorization to operate non-directional a reduced power at night until the towers could be repaired. The nighttime power was less than half the daytime power of 50KW.

It was a very lengthy process to repair the towers as Kline Iron and Steel from Columbia had to measure each piece on the B Tower that was damaged on A and C and cut them on site.

BT was already running Non-D due to the emergency nature of the storm so he was never off the air for more than a few seconds.

hh
I am sure that's all true. But the old joke about BT is that at night you can pick it up from Cuba to Massachusetts, but if you drive 30 miles west to Gastonia you can no longer get it. I don't know about the former, but since I live in Gaston County I can assure you the latter is true - no exaggeration.

I was told by a radio guy that being temporarily allowed to use the daytime signal at night, meant they had more night-time coverage than using the night-time signal at night. But he was not a WBT guy, so he may not have all of the details you have provided.
post #8859 of 8876 Old 09-29-2014, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
... I bet they were in no hurry to get that problem corrected, because they can broadcast further leaving the day signal on after dark.
This is something I don't remember. I do remember the power going out about 2:30 am or so when the leading edge of the storm hit full force. That put the TV out of commission. Interesting to see the blue flashes all over the place as it seems like every transformer in the city exploded.

Only time that I was scared of something dangerous happening in my own house. The trees were bent over the top of it.

We were fortunate in that the power didn't stay out more than a couple of days or so. When it came back on, I don't remember if the local channels were on or not. It probably wasn't high on the list of things to worry about. We were more interested in getting some food, money & gas.

I do remember that then, like now, the storm fooled all the local TV weather guys. They didn't make much of Hugo until it was too late, so the city was completely unprepared. Our house was full of refugee relatives from the coast who ran to safety in Charlotte. Little did they know. LOL
post #8860 of 8876 Old 09-29-2014, 10:23 AM

Well it is not really a joke. By rule WBT has to protect the 1110 KHz in Omaha, KFAB at night. That is the reason for the deep null to the West.

I was told that Jefferson Pilot asked the FCC to allow them to continue operating Non-Directional at the lower power level at night but they would not allow it.

I was working there very part time around that time and remember the complaints once the directional was put back on. That is when JP started searching a another station to try and fill the null and they bought 99.3 FM.

And you can still hear BT up and down the East coast at night. It was coming in pretty good in Manchester, NH when I was there a couple of weeks ago. I could hear the Panthers game with no trouble.

hh
post #8861 of 8876 Old 09-29-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I can receive WBT on 99.3 and 107.9-HD2 with rabbit ears in the house. 1110 can only be received during the day. At my location in Greenville, SC. But car reception on both FMs can drop in and out.
post #8862 of 8876 Old 09-29-2014, 10:58 AM

I remember walking up about 5:00 AM to things crashing around me. The power was off, but I got ready to go to work. With my dress shirt and tie on, I got outside to find a tree across the driveway. The light of day showed me that what was crashing was huge oaks you could barely reach around. My power was off for six days. All of the neighbors had phone service, but I didn't. Some kind of blown fuse or something - and this was years before cell phones, so I remember walking daily to the neighbor's house to make calls to work and family.

My mother and step-father in Charlotte had mostly pine trees, and they were criss-crossed everywhere in the yard - over 50 were snapped and down. Driving to their house to help them, resembled driving through a war zone.

But my four uprooted trees were oaks. After the dust cleared, I rented a splitter for the day. We cut and split the wood, then threw it whereever, because I had to get it all split by day's end, to return the splitter. Then I came home every day for weeks, and stacked wood, which lasted for years.
post #8863 of 8876 Old 09-29-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I can receive WBT on 99.3 and 107.9-HD2 with rabbit ears in the house. 1110 can only be received during the day. At my location in Greenville, SC. But car reception on both FMs can drop in and out.
99.3 is very erratic in Gaston County - I don't know what their signal strength is, but I would not think they reach very far out of Chester with a consistent signal. I tried an outside antenna pointed in that direction, and there were still times it got staticky and undiscernable. 107.9-2 is good on my HD radio, but it seems to cut out from time to time as well.
post #8864 of 8876 Old 09-29-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
99.3 is very erratic in Gaston County - I don't know what their signal strength is, but I would not think they reach very far out of Chester with a consistent signal. I tried an outside antenna pointed in that direction, and there were still times it got staticky and undiscernable. 107.9-2 is good on my HD radio, but it seems to cut out from time to time as well.
99.3 is 25KW ERP. Transmitter is in Lowrys, SC near Chester. He just installed a new transmitter that does both analog and IBOC in the same box and increased his digital power. It replaced a high level combined setup so it might do a little better.

hh
post #8865 of 8876 Old 09-29-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
99.3 is 25KW ERP. Transmitter is in Lowrys, SC near Chester. He just installed a new transmitter that does both analog and IBOC in the same box and increased his digital power. It replaced a high level combined setup so it might do a little better.

hh
During the day 1110 AM, the tried and true original, has the most consistent signal where I live. 107.9-2 of course sounds the best. But there seem to be times it just goes off, and the receiver is flashing "Not Received" or to that effect. I use that at night, since 1110 AM is gone after dark. Haven't tried 99.3 at home in a long time, because I didn't have good luck with it.

But 10,000 watt WCGC 1270 AM in Belmont normally comes in fine after dark, with very little bleed-in from other stations. But of course I am only in Mount Holly which isn't that far.
post #8866 of 8876 Old 09-29-2014, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I remember walking up about 5:00 AM to things crashing around me.....
Yeah, I never went back to sleep that evening. By that time the eye had passed over then it started back up in the opposite direction. It was the strangest thing seeing mayhem & destruction, then quiet calm, then a resumption of the storm. Only one tree down in my yard and ironically where I normally park my car (no garage then) but for some reason I had decided to park it in the street. It was an almost new Honda accord that I am glad didn't get squished. Some of my unfortunate neighbors had it far worse.
post #8867 of 8876 Old 09-29-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hh
I now get a consistent lock on 99.3HD on my home receiver with rabbit ears. I thought I had noticed an improvement recently. But car reception is still spotty as I am just out of range, and there is interference from a station in Georgia on the same frequency. But comes in better in Spartanburg.
post #8868 of 8876 Old 09-29-2014, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Looking at the list of clear-channel 50kW stations makes me yearn for the days when AM radio was still respectable, not the insipid, predictable, mindless wasteland that it has become over the past thirty years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear-channel_station
post #8869 of 8876 Old 09-29-2014, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
I now get a consistent lock on 99.3HD on my home receiver with rabbit ears. I thought I had noticed an improvement recently. But car reception is still spotty as I am just out of range, and there is interference from a station in Georgia on the same frequency. But comes in better in Spartanburg.
Thanks for the tip, coming in loud and clear here now too! I've been meaning to hook my radio up to my TV antenna to see if the installer enabled the FM trap or not. If not I'm contemplating enabling it to see if that helps eliminate some of my occasional TV reception issues. It also would be a good experiment to see if the Charlotte HD Radio stations come in better with an antenna.
post #8870 of 8876 Old 09-30-2014, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Any signs that WBTV will bring GritTV on the air tomorrow?
post #8871 of 8876 Old 09-30-2014, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I read where FCC Voted to end the 40 yrs old Blackout rule

http://online.wsj.com/articles/fcc-v...les-1412091621
post #8872 of 8876 Old 09-30-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Any signs that WBTV will bring GritTV on the air tomorrow?
There is no 3.3 channel tonight but we'll see what happens tomorrow. Who knows. But I hope the delay means they have been working on the encoder system so the HD quality will not suffer on 3.1.
post #8873 of 8876 Old Yesterday, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
I read where FCC Voted to end the 40 yrs old Blackout rule

http://online.wsj.com/articles/fcc-v...les-1412091621
Beginning of the end for OTA, I believe
post #8874 of 8876 Old Yesterday, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy22 View Post
Beginning of the end for OTA, I believe
The rule change doesn't apply to OTA broadcasters.
speedy22 likes this.
post #8875 of 8876 Old Yesterday, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The rule change doesn't apply to OTA broadcasters.
I'm not sure that I understand why ending the blackout rule would hurt anybody, considering that hardly any games were blacked out anyway. I guess the argument is that if a team is in a smallish market and is not all that great of a team, then it might not be able to persuade fans to come out to the stadium if the game was guaranteed to be on the local cable system regardless of a sellout.

But with the blackout rule gone, what happens? Might the team just tell the local stations to get lost and figure that the cable system could import the broadcast from the away team's market?
post #8876 of 8876 Old Today, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post

But with the blackout rule gone, what happens? Might the team just tell the local stations to get lost and figure that the cable system could import the broadcast from the away team's market?
No, I don't think so. The local TV station still has a franchise on the local broadcast area. I think this rule change, is one that doesn't have much teeth. Lots of falderal, but little substance. It only applies, I think, to cable only channels that show games.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page