62Likes

post #8941 of 8962 Old 10-15-2014, 05:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Do you also get WSPA channel 7 and 13-WLOS? I guess you must be west of Charlotte somewhere. And you may be able to get This on WHKY from Hickory.
I live in Hickory. so I guess I will be watching This which is a good thing.

Yes I get channel 13 WLOS full bars at 77 air miles, and I do get WSPA channel 7 too. Channel 7 can be problematic at times because of all the ham noise between channel 6 and 7. When there is a lot of noise, I have to turn my antenna to a side lobe on the antenna to receive 7 good.

I do get channel 10 vhf out of Columbia too late night and early morning at 110 air miles. It's a repeat network, so I don't bother with it, and actually found it by mistake when I punched in 10 on my remote, and the TV automatically programmed in the channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8942 of 8962 Old 10-16-2014, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 49
^Amazing about WIS. I've also seen it, unreliably, at my Mom's house in Myrtle Beach which I believe is about the same distance in the opposite direction. Maybe someone there is pushing the wattage. Quite a large coverage area from MB to Hickory. It's one of the good things about those long VHF wavelengths.
post #8943 of 8962 Old 10-16-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
^Amazing about WIS. I've also seen it, unreliably, at my Mom's house in Myrtle Beach which I believe is about the same distance in the opposite direction. Maybe someone there is pushing the wattage. Quite a large coverage area from MB to Hickory. It's one of the good things about those long VHF wavelengths.
They are only 57KW but being at 1,500' VHF and no terrain to infer with Myrtle is not a problem.

http://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?r...call=WIS&arch=

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #8944 of 8962 Old 10-16-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Only? The average high-VHF station has a power of about 31 kW. WIS is well above average.

http://www.rabbitears.info/oddsanden...request=avgpwr

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #8945 of 8962 Old 10-16-2014, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
They are only 57KW but being at 1,500' VHF and no terrain to infer with Myrtle is not a problem....
Well.... it is kind of a problem.

As I said, it's not really watchable. I can pick it up from time to time, but you wouldn't want to rely on it for routine viewing. I suppose if you wanted to invest in a mast and a fairly significant VHF antenna, it would be doable.
post #8946 of 8962 Old 10-16-2014, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Amid the discussion of WIS I pulled up my TVFool report this morning and noticed something I had missed before... a WCCB listing for Real Channel 26. Does WCCB have a translator near the WBTV & WSOC translator locations? I wish these DTV map sites factored in translators when giving pointing guidance. Those buggers are hard to identify/find on maps.
post #8947 of 8962 Old 10-16-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
Amid the discussion of WIS I pulled up my TVFool report this morning and noticed something I had missed before... a WCCB listing for Real Channel 26. Does WCCB have a translator near the WBTV & WSOC translator locations? I wish these DTV map sites factored in translators when giving pointing guidance. Those buggers are hard to identify/find on maps.
WCCB had planned a translator for Crowder's Mtn. like WSOC. But for some reason those plans have never materialized. I wish they could reconsider. But perhaps they decided that RF26 could be subject to interference from their own RF27.
post #8948 of 8962 Old 10-16-2014, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there a CW station that is easier to receive down that way?
post #8949 of 8962 Old 10-16-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Is there a CW station that is easier to receive down that way?
Yes there is WYCW-62 which is owned by Media General and WSPA. They have a 10pm news produced by Channel 7, as well as morning news. And they simulcast WSPA on 62.2 in widescreen SD. And also they broadcast 62.1 and CW programming in 1080i resolution.
post #8950 of 8962 Old 10-16-2014, 04:30 PM
mjh

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thumbs down WCNC messing w/my TiVo HD

Ok. So I saw the posts from last week talking about the WCNC TSID issue. Frankly, I don't know what TSID is. But I've noticed over the last couple of weeks that my TiVo HD tuner is struggling with WCNC. Over a certain amount of time I go to look at something recorded on my TiVo from NBC and it's completely blank. A check of the signal strength is 100%. I just don't have any picture. If I reboot the TiVo I can then tune WCNC and record shows.

Some questions:
  1. I don't recall WCNC's signal ever being that strong. Did they change something? I live in Harrisburg, and I thought the tower was over in Stanley. So I'm surprised that I'm getting that strong of signal. Could my tuner be flaking out over the too strong signal?
  2. Could the TSID be causing the problem that I'm seeing?
  3. Any suggestions for how to resolve?

Thanks, in advance.
bill875 likes this.
post #8951 of 8962 Old 10-16-2014, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh View Post
Ok. So I saw the posts from last week talking about the WCNC TSID issue. Frankly, I don't know what TSID is. But I've noticed over the last couple of weeks that my TiVo HD tuner is struggling with WCNC. Over a certain amount of time I go to look at something recorded on my TiVo from NBC and it's completely blank. A check of the signal strength is 100%. I just don't have any picture. If I reboot the TiVo I can then tune WCNC and record shows.

Some questions:
  1. I don't recall WCNC's signal ever being that strong. Did they change something? I live in Harrisburg, and I thought the tower was over in Stanley. So I'm surprised that I'm getting that strong of signal. Could my tuner be flaking out over the too strong signal?
  2. Could the TSID be causing the problem that I'm seeing?
  3. Any suggestions for how to resolve?

Thanks, in advance.
Just checked my HTPC and, as of sometime yesterday, WCNC seems to be fixed! (sort of). I now have TWO working 36.1s and one 36.2 in WMC.

I only know it was yesterday because Jimmy Fallon was recorded last night.

What model TiVo do you have? I ask because my research into the TSID problem suggested that it affected WMC (my issue) and some "4th generation" or "gen 4" tuners but no detail on where those were (maybe in your TiVo?).

They did something at WCNC over the last two weeks... what it was? I couldn't guess.
post #8952 of 8962 Old 10-16-2014, 06:32 PM
mjh

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghsteelersfan View Post
What model TiVo do you have?
Tivo HD XL. I have no idea what gen tuner it has. I bought the device in 2010, and it'd been out a couple of years by that point.
post #8953 of 8962 Old 10-16-2014, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghsteelersfan View Post
Just checked my HTPC and, as of sometime yesterday, WCNC seems to be fixed! (sort of). I now have TWO working 36.1s and one 36.2 in WMC. .....
In regards to WMC they have indeed started transmitting the correct TSID. (compare this to file I posted here a couple of weeks ago) This confirms that it was only a software problem with WMC and the incorrect TSID # being transmitted. It had nothing to do with signal path or specific tuner.

Code:
Channel 1
Service Name: WCNC-HD
TSID: 1801 (0x0709) NTSC: 36 ATSC: 22 NC CHARLOTTE
Channel Number: 36.1....
The Tivo issue sounds like something else but I don't know how it might react to a TSID change. If a reboot fixes it, even temporarily, then it might be worth a call to Tivo support.

I've seen no change here (W. Huntersville) using WCNC & MythTV setup, but it does not use TSID in any meaningful way to tune the station or to determine lineup or guide information. I've seen no difference at all in signal strength. i.e. Beyond the TSID change, nothing else seems to have changed.

Last edited by blackcat6; 10-16-2014 at 11:48 PM.
post #8954 of 8962 Old 10-17-2014, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

Because this thread is more active I am posting this question here. I'm looking for guidance from some of you. Right now I have an 8 bay UHF antenna w/ Pre-Amp pointed at the WSOC/WCCB/WAXN tower. From it I receive all of the Charlotte stations (and ironically WSPA & WLOS, from the back side).

I want to add another antenna in my attic to pick up the GSP stations I'm currently missing. All of them except one are rated as "Green" for my location so I'm hoping the attic setup will work. My problem is how do I keep the back side signals from this second antenna from colliding with my good Charlotte signals when I combine them? Based on my experiences with an indoor antenna I'm not even sure most of the Charlotte signals (aside from WBTV) will even be strong enough for it to pick them up, but that possibility exists.

WSPA & WLOS aren't a problem... I can just use a filter on the appropriate antenna to "block" the versions of them from the other one.

The actual RF Channels of most of them are separated widely, but WYFF & WYCW are right on top of WMYT.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antennas.PNG
Views:	14
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	316690  
post #8955 of 8962 Old 10-17-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

^^When you combine antennas, it can cause interference and dropouts unless very precisely done. You may be better off using separate antennas and an A/B switch. But I understand you prefer one connection. What I do is I have a Channel Master 4248 UHF yagi style antenna in the attic, pointed towards the Dallas towers. Which gets 3, 36, 46, and 55. It also receives 4, 21, 40 and 62 from the back. Then I use a UVSJ from Radioshack to combine an Antennacraft HBU-33 antenna which brings in 7, 9(29), and 13, while filtering out the GSP UHFs to avoid interference. And the UVSJ leads into a Kitztech 100 preamp. This set up works very well, and it often receives WSOC-9.1 and WCCB-18 at night. I would like to improve results for WSOC and WCCB, but I am just beyond range and I would really need to get the antenna outside.
post #8956 of 8962 Old 10-17-2014, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

The problem with an "A/B" switch is the TiVo can't control my A/B switch lol.. I think I'm going to hook it all up and see how it does, then explore my options. I've heard of using notch filters to weed out channels... which would be easy with the Charlotte stations and the GSP antenna... because all of them are in the same range, except for 55. I also can easily kill the VHF from the CLT aimed antenna with the UVSJ.

The problem will be blocking the GSP channels from the Charlotte antenna. They're all over the place. That might deserve its on thread in the main part of this forum.
post #8957 of 8962 Old 10-17-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

^ You can always build a MythTV DVR/HTPC and use a couple of set, or more, of tuners. Hook an antenna to each one. MythTV will automatically pick the correct antenna when you change channels or record something. This works flawlessly for me using 3 antennas. On going (2 week )guide information from Gracenote (aka Tribune) costs $25/year.
post #8958 of 8962 Old 10-17-2014, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snippits75 View Post

I do get channel 10 vhf out of Columbia too late night and early morning at 110 air miles. It's a repeat network, so I don't bother with it, and actually found it by mistake when I punched in 10 on my remote, and the TV automatically programmed in the channel.
You got me curious so I looked tonight and the plats for both WIS and WOLO come very close to my location. Based on the same maps I should never get WAXN, but I often do. I'm tempted to point my antenna in that direction to see if I can pick them up. Both are about 81 miles out for me. Might be more fun than my combining antennas scheme

Last edited by cpalmer2k; 10-17-2014 at 09:41 PM.
post #8959 of 8962 Old 10-18-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
You got me curious so I looked tonight and the plats for both WIS and WOLO come very close to my location. Based on the same maps I should never get WAXN, but I often do. I'm tempted to point my antenna in that direction to see if I can pick them up. Both are about 81 miles out for me. Might be more fun than my combining antennas scheme
81 air miles sounds reasonable for a good vhf antenna or combo antenna like my preamped Antennacraft C490. I get WLOS channel 13 at 77 air miles rain or shine day and night, and that's pointing through a large maple tree about 20 feet away. My antenna is mounted outside about 18 feet above ground level.
post #8960 of 8962 Old 10-19-2014, 01:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snippits75 View Post
.... I get WLOS channel 13 at 77 air miles rain or shine day and night, and that's pointing through a large maple tree about 20 feet away. My antenna is mounted outside about 18 feet above ground level.
That probably has more to do with the fact that WLOS's antenna is over a mile up at 6011'. In a similar fashion I can pickup WUNE, reliably that is close to 80 miles from here because it's located in Boone and the aerial is very high. And that is with a poor performing DB8 stuck inside an attic with a bunch of trees in the way.

If you ever replace that C490, I recommend an Antennacraft HBU-55. Most of the metal mass (and width) of that C490 is devoted receiving VHF-Lo (2-6) and there are no stations, as far as I know, in the Carolinas that transmit on those bands now.
post #8961 of 8962 Old 10-19-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
That probably has more to do with the fact that WLOS's antenna is over a mile up at 6011'. In a similar fashion I can pickup WUNE, reliably that is close to 80 miles from here because it's located in Boone and the aerial is very high. And that is with a poor performing DB8 stuck inside an attic with a bunch of trees in the way.

If you ever replace that C490, I recommend an Antennacraft HBU-55. Most of the metal mass (and width) of that C490 is devoted receiving VHF-Lo (2-6) and there are no stations, as far as I know, in the Carolinas that transmit on those bands now.
I bought the C490 because it is rated for FM too. And at the time Radio Shack was offering $10 off coupons for every $50.00 spent, so I bought another 10 ft. mast, and ended up with two coupons worth $20. I used those coupons and purchased an Antennacraft preamp.
post #8962 of 8962 Old 10-19-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

The C490 will work good for FM radio, including HD Radio.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page