post #8971 of 8989 Old 10-23-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
It remains to be seen what Gannett does when Livewell goes dark at the beginning of the year.
Who knows, but some Gannett stations carry Cozi TV and others have Weather Nation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8972 of 8989 Old 10-23-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Although there was an interest in Mayberry RFD on MeTV a few months ago, I can now report that the 1st season is now available on DVD at Walmart for $9.96. And I believe the 1st episode is when Andy and Helen Crump finally got married, then they left the show.
post #8973 of 8989 Old 10-23-2014, 06:43 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
I've been seeing something lately that seems counter-intuitive. WHKY, off the Charlotte transmitter I assume, has been solid in the mid 70% range throughout the daytime and early evening. Then, it fades away until well after sunrise the next day. So, strong during daylight and weak at night.

That is opposite of what I see with all other marginal OTA signals. I never receive Greensboro or Columbia during daylight but they are often loud and clear late night and early morning. Several of those were rock solid this morning while I couldn't even detect WHKY.
Does anyone know if WHKY dials down the power on the Charlotte transmitter at night?
Thanks for the report. Looks like the transmitter is failing to stay locked to the GPS. Carrier frequency is locked but data is not. What is going on at night is you are seeing both transmitter with a time error in data, were as during the day this is not a problem.

I will check and see what is causing this, and correct it.

Tom
post #8974 of 8989 Old 10-24-2014, 09:23 AM
A J

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
WJZY 46.1 will air a NFL football game (Atlanta & Detroit) from "across the pond" Sunday morning, pre-game at 9:00 AM. Beats watching George Stephanopoulos, IMO.
post #8975 of 8989 Old 10-28-2014, 02:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The local TV ad salesmen advertising executives must be pretty happy by now if they are on commission. The Hagan vs Tillis race is coming down as the most expensive state race in US history. So much money is being dropped on an event where the outcome means practically nothing.

Thankfully it will be back to car adverts, lawyers and drugs next week.

Last edited by blackcat6; 10-28-2014 at 02:39 AM.
post #8976 of 8989 Old 10-28-2014, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am a radio guy so it may be a little different in TV but every station I have worked for Political ads were always 'House' accounts. Meaning no commission paid. Political buys are very rarely 'worked' by an AE. They are call ins.

Now I would expect an Advertising Agency does most of the buying and they are paid a commission by the client.

There is also a rule that stations love. Stations most charge the lowest unit rate for Political ads for the time period. That means the station has to calculate their lowest rate based on what they sell the time period to regular clients. That can be tough because some good clients are not paying by the unit. Thankfully I am a technician and not a sales person or in accounts receivable so I don't have to know all the ins and outs of all that...

c123
post #8977 of 8989 Old 10-28-2014, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
I am a radio guy so it may be a little different in TV but every station I have worked for Political ads were always 'House' accounts. Meaning no commission paid. Political buys are very rarely 'worked' by an AE. They are call ins.

Now I would expect an Advertising Agency does most of the buying and they are paid a commission by the client.

There is also a rule that stations love. Stations most charge the lowest unit rate for Political ads for the time period. That means the station has to calculate their lowest rate based on what they sell the time period to regular clients. That can be tough because some good clients are not paying by the unit. Thankfully I am a technician and not a sales person or in accounts receivable so I don't have to know all the ins and outs of all that...

c123
I have been disappointed to find Tillis/Hagan ads "inserted" on ESPN channel with Directv. There's no escaping the noise.
post #8978 of 8989 Old 10-28-2014, 07:38 AM
A J

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamstang View Post
...Tillis/Hagan ads... There's no escaping the noise.
Thank goodness for the 30 second skip forward button on DVR remotes. I've avoided watching live OTA lately. Even on local news I time-shift the start about 15 minutes to be able to skip past all the political attack ads.
post #8979 of 8989 Old 10-28-2014, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Do you like WJZY 46 as the current FOX O&O?

Speaking of commercials I like the TOYOTA OF NORTH CHARLOTTE where they have the cute dog. The last time I've seen those was two years ago while watching WBTV 3.1 OTA in Greenwood, SC (I can get ultra-weak signals of 3 Charlotte TV stations OTA).

I've seen WJZY before and after the FOX switch OTA.

I haven't seen WCCB after The CW switch yet. Its on Tropo at my location.

IMHO Charlotte, NC is like the Savannah, GA of North Carolina while Greenville, SC is like the Upstate version of Charleston, SC.

Spencer Karter

My Christmas Wish List: SLINGBOX M1
post #8980 of 8989 Old 10-28-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

While it may seem cute to you, I think most folks are tired of those Toyota North Charlotte commercials, and that "cute dog" pitch has grown old. And I have seen those same ads with the same actors and that dog down in Florida for dealers down there. But most of these car dealerships in Charlotte and beyond are owned by 3 big execs, Rick Hendrick, Scott Clark, and Bruton Smith. Just how many multi million dollar dealerships does one man need to own? Is something askew here? Perhaps one of these news stations should do an investigation somewhere, but I would venture the sales dept. frowns on this as there is too much ad revenue at stake. But concerns have been raised before.
post #8981 of 8989 Old 10-28-2014, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There is also a rule that stations love. Stations most charge the lowest unit rate for Political ads for the time period. ....
That rule only applies to direct candidate adverts. It does not apply to 3rd party adverts and those of political parties. Since the Scotus ruled that limits on these were unconstitutional, the flood gates have opened. I'd say that 90% of the spending falls into this category.

If the salesmen are not getting commission, they are getting rooked.
post #8982 of 8989 Old 10-28-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
Do you like WJZY 46 as the current FOX O&O? ......
The production values of WJZY are top notch. IMO, better than any other station in CLT now. It's obvious that FOX/News Corp has a huge amount of resource available and they are willing to put it into this station.

Their morning news, sets, and personnel are comparable to something that you would see on a national program.
post #8983 of 8989 Old 10-28-2014, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
If the salesmen are not getting commission, they are getting rooked.
Have you ever been in a broadcast station? Know anybody that has worked in Radio or TV Sales?

Just curious...

T123
post #8984 of 8989 Old 10-28-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Have you ever been in a broadcast station? Know anybody that has worked in Radio or TV Sales?
Yes I have been in a broadcast station. My sister in law used to be a news anchor on a station here in the Carolinas & in the DC area. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything however.

Can't say that I've known any advert salesmen for the teevee though. I've known a lot of advertising sales people over the years in various industries including those I've worked in, and I can't imagine why they, well the successful ones at least, would agree to straight salary.

I will accept the reason based on the stations have become so addicted to carriage fees the adverts don't really matter, but that seems like a bad business plan in the long run.
post #8985 of 8989 Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Thursday Night Football

Thursday Night Football is apparently moving to the NFL Network rather than CBS, but WBTV will carry the Panthers game anyway. Not sure what WSPA is going to do.
post #8986 of 8989 Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Thursday Night Football is apparently moving to the NFL Network rather than CBS, but WBTV will carry the Panthers game anyway. Not sure what WSPA is going to do.
The CBS Thursday Night Football deal was only for the first half of the season. The second half airs on NFL Network. Because the Panthers "home market" is Charlotte an Over the Air station gets the rights to carry any games broadcast on cable only. In this case the school of thought is that because Thursday Night Football is produced by CBS that their affiliates got first right of refusal. Thus WBTV picked up the rights to this game.

We should know tomorrow which station will pick up the Monday Night game the following week.

This only applies to the "primary" market though, so WSPA can't air the game.

Last edited by cpalmer2k; Yesterday at 01:26 PM.
post #8987 of 8989 Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
The CBS Thursday Night Football deal was only for the first half of the season. The second half airs on NFL Network. Because the Panthers "home market" is Charlotte an Over the Air station gets the rights to carry any games broadcast on cable only. In this case the school of thought is that because Thursday Night Football is produced by CBS that their affiliates got first right of refusal. Thus WBTV picked up the rights to this game.

We should know tomorrow which station will pick up the Monday Night game the following week.

This only applies to the "primary" market though, so WSPA can't air the game.

I know "Don't harm the messenger" but thanks a lot for being the bearer of bad news cpalmer2k

LAME!

Spencer Karter

My Christmas Wish List: SLINGBOX M1
post #8988 of 8989 Old Today, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I am glad to see the Hornets are back and the excitement has returned. But too bad they are not carried OTA anywhere. I believe back in the day they were on WJZY.
post #8989 of 8989 Old Today, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Must be another ratings period as several news stations are tracking sex offenders again.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page