post #9061 of 9069 Old 11-26-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
I've been satisfied with OTA PQ on my two Samsung LEDs, but I am considering adding one more TV at these attractive prices. The shortage of inputs and outputs on those Samsung plasmas is a puzzling. Any idea why they have only two HDMI ports? And, not even a headphone jack (yeah, I have a sound system but still occasionally have just the TV on, listening with headphones to shut out the world).
I am also disappointed that most TV models in recent years have eliminated the analog audio outputs. I have several good speaker systems I used to connect, including some Logitech computer speakers. But apparently some LED and UHD models this year still have the analog audio output which is nice. But some of the higher end LEDs and UHDs have forced micro dimming, which cannot be disabled. This forces the TV to automatically dim, and the brightness levels constantly change. I do not like this, as I prefer to tweak the picture settings to my own specifications. So only the lower models do not have the micro dimming, from the 6350 models and below. So I would consider the 556203 base model LED from Samsung, which is 1080p, 120hz, and a Smart TV. And it has direct backlighting rather than edge lit, so less uniformity issues. And a very good price of $599 right now. Just look for a Samsung panel, such as TS01, TH01, TS02, or US02 etc. I would be wary of some of these other doorbuster models, such as RCA, Sanyo, or Westinghouse without close inspection. And there is a 50 inch Panasonic LED going for $199 at Best Buy, but I am not sure if the mob scene is worth it for a TV that has received very mediocre reviews. There are some other decent deals from Vizio, LG, and Samsung that may be better choices. The cheapest model is not always the best choice in terms of overall quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9062 of 9069 Old 11-26-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla_engineer View Post
For those of you who may not have see this.

Raleigh, N.C. — If you're paying a cable or satellite company to watch your favorite television shows, Mark Buff, president of Raleigh-based Mohu, wants you to reconsider your options.
Recently named by the Triangle Business Journal as one of the area's fastest growing companies, Mohu offers a new kind of digital TV antenna that, for as little as $25, picks up high-definition TV signal without the need for a cable box.
"Most of the top 100 shows are available over the air," Buff said Monday. "Most people do not know that."
The technology came about in 2009, when local broadcasters switched to digital.
At that time, the small company was making radio antennas hidden in mud flaps of armored Humvees for the Army and Navy.
Now, the business – there's about 50 employees now – has expanded its reach, putting Mohu antennas in electronics and department stores across the country, including Best Buy and Walmart.
Buff says the business is growing as more people cut the cable cord.
"What this allows people to do is get the major networks, and people are starting to couple this with Netflix and Hulu Plus in order to cut back on cable (expenses)," he said.
Buff said Mohu is working on a new device that combines the free HDTV signal from the antenna with online streaming video services into one interface.
He says it will make it easier than ever to enjoy their favorite shows and save money.
"You can cut the cord and get rid of cable and never look back," he said.

Read more at http://wraltechwire.com/raleigh-ante...roymy2W00Cx.99
While more folks may indeed be cutting the cord, I am not sure the Mohu is the best overall choice for an indoor antenna, despite the secret military technology. It may work in some cases, but overall I would prefer a basic rabbit ears and loop or a Terk HDTVa. Otherwise, get a real outdoor antenna.
post #9063 of 9069 Old 11-26-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I think the best general purpose indoor antenna if you are looking for something fixed, is the Winegard Freevision. It's cheap, well built, covers VHF-Hi (Mohu doesn't) and has a reflector which will help with multipath & interference. It's also weatherproof if you want to mount it on a wall outside. Useful if you are in an apt or condo and can only put something on a balcony.

Home Depot has the Freevision in most of their stores in the area for less than $35.
post #9064 of 9069 Old 11-26-2014, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
While more folks may indeed be cutting the cord, I am not sure the Mohu is the best overall choice for an indoor antenna, despite the secret military technology. It may work in some cases, but overall I would prefer a basic rabbit ears and loop or a Terk HDTVa. Otherwise, get a real outdoor antenna.
Just thought it was a nice story about a North Carolina company. I am just going to quit posting anything.

Tom
post #9065 of 9069 Old 11-26-2014, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla_engineer View Post
Just thought it was a nice story about a North Carolina company. I am just going to quit posting anything.
I agree it was a good story about a NC company. And some folks do have good luck with those Mohu antennas, and they are nice and discreet. But they may not always be the best choice in certain situations. And I was not complaining about the post; it was an interesting read. Just commenting on the antenna itself.
post #9066 of 9069 Old 11-26-2014, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
I think the best general purpose indoor antenna if you are looking for something fixed, is the Winegard Freevision. It's cheap, well built, covers VHF-Hi (Mohu doesn't) and has a reflector which will help with multipath & interference. It's also weatherproof if you want to mount it on a wall outside. Useful if you are in an apt or condo and can only put something on a balcony.

Home Depot has the Freevision in most of their stores in the area for less than $35.
Forgot about the Freevision. That does seem to be a good antenna.
post #9067 of 9069 Old 11-26-2014, 05:53 PM
A J

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Forgot about the Freevision. That does seem to be a good antenna.
That's what I put in my attic almost 4 years ago. I've never regretted it! Very good VHF-Hi and excellent UHF reception for such a compact antenna.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1577.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	387265  
post #9068 of 9069 Old Yesterday, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 50
^Very nice. That antenna is a nice design which can also be painted if left indoors which doesn't get the attention that it really deserves.

I did know about Mohu's attempt to create a set top box. It's called Mohu Channels and they already released a version of it early in 2014 via a kickstarter campaign. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mohu/mohu-channels-personal-channel-guide-makes-tv-smar I'm not sure if it includes DVR abilities, as you can see from the link they attempted to integrate streaming with OTA. From what I understand it's exceeding buggy, as in doesn't work well at all, and there haven't been any updates since August.

http://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/comments/2j99m4/

If you can't wait, the Tivo Roameo already does this and does it quite well. There is an $49 OTA only version available which has all the streaming app integration, an excellent universal remote control (nothing like a remote with real buttons) and an interface that combines it all together very well. My mom has had one for a year now and loves it. Downside is the required $14.99/month fee.
post #9069 of 9069 Unread Yesterday, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

The Channel Master Flatenna, which is their version of the Mohu Leaf, is only $10 and may be worth consideration. But I don't know how well it performs in comparison. And they also have a new Stealthtenna for $29 which is more of a compact real antenna. Also they have some good Black Friday deals on their 4228 antenna and their DVR+ is $175 with free shipping for those cord cutters who may be interested.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception