75Likes

post #9121 of 9127 Old 12-18-2014, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Theo is there any chance the WSOC Shelby translator could ever switch 64.5 over to HD? I'd love to finally be able to get it in HD. The 64.1 signal is too weak for my area. I realize this likely would require an investment on your part in hardware but just wanted to offer the suggestion. I know other stations do dual 720p feeds
While WSOC would like to have HD at all of its translator sites. The cost to do so would be high. We current receive WSOC-TV, we take the ASI stream and strip off WSOC-WX (9.2) and Mobile Handheld and reinsert WAXN, which we receive from a second receiver insert into a SD encoder and then remux with the WSOC ASI stream. To have both stations HD, I would need to purchase two HD encoders and insert both at the site. Also the currrent units we have are made LARCAN which has gone out of business. I would have to start from the bringing to upgrade the site. I will try with the 2015 budget, but I must admit its a low priority for the group. WANXTV1 in China Grove is a straight refeed of WAXN-TV and 64.7 is in HD. We also have getTV and ESCAPE TV there.

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9122 of 9127 Old 12-19-2014, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo1080 View Post
While WSOC would like to have HD at all of its translator sites. The cost to do so would be high. We current receive WSOC-TV, we take the ASI stream and strip off WSOC-WX (9.2) and Mobile Handheld and reinsert WAXN, which we receive from a second receiver insert into a SD encoder and then remux with the WSOC ASI stream. To have both stations HD, I would need to purchase two HD encoders and insert both at the site. Also the currrent units we have are made LARCAN which has gone out of business. I would have to start from the bringing to upgrade the site. I will try with the 2015 budget, but I must admit its a low priority for the group. WANXTV1 in China Grove is a straight refeed of WAXN-TV and 64.7 is in HD. We also have getTV and ESCAPE TV there.
Thanks for trying... I didn't figure it would be easy, especially since I understand the Shelby site is so remote. Honestly I'd love to see 64 mirrored in HD as 9.2 but I understand that would have its' own set of complications.
post #9123 of 9127 Old 12-19-2014, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo1080 View Post
I understand it takes money. In columbus, NC we get 3, 36, 46 & 55 with $10 rabbetears. We can't get WLOS, they have 12 translators still analog. We don't get Channel 40 it won't reach here so 9 and 64 would both be watched. Good Luch and Thanks
post #9124 of 9127 Old 12-22-2014, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Working in the attic today, I have temporarily disconnected a Winegard FM antenna. But surprisingly, the 43XG UHF antenna and amp are receiving 107.9 and 99.3 FM signals, including both HD Radio versions. Good reception there for GVL, SC. Also gets the other Clt radio such as 95.1 and 96.1, but no lock on the HD without the FM antenna. And the 43XG is also pulling in VHF TV such as 7 and 13, as well as the UHF from Dallas. Good antenna and Electroline amp.
post #9125 of 9127 Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Need Advice

Guys, forgive me if I am posting this in the wrong forum, but I wanted some local input here...

I am finally in the market for a new TV, and I need some input about buying a 40" model for around $350.00, or would I be better off sinking that limited amount of money into a 32" model?

If I go for the 40" models, I will probably need at least 1080 in resolution? I'm a big fan of the old Toshiba 4:3 CRTs, but I am hearing troublesome news about their flat screen brethren. From what I can gather, Samsung, LG, Sony and Panasonic are tops in this field, with Vizio and Sharp a notch or two below that.

Thanks.
post #9126 of 9127 Old Today, 04:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 51
^There are only 2-3 LCD large panel manufacturers in the world. i.e. There really isn't any difference between the brands anymore except the amount of money you spend on them and the mostly pointless bells & whistles. It's certainly not like it was in the days when TVs were made in the USA with discrete parts.

My advice, figure out what features you want, then shop price. Best always available deal locally is going to be found at Costco for TVs. There is a membership fee to shop there, but they won't hassle you with nonsense cables and warranties you don't need and they have generous return policies if something goes bad. Otherwise, scan the Internet for either online or local deals in stores.

If it is going to be you main TV, 1080p is what I would get. The only other things that matter to me are the number of inputs, and what does it sound like. Many LCDs have little tinny speakers and the "good deal" isn't maybe such a good deal if you have to shell out another $150 for a sound bar. I wouldn't worry about the "smart" features. You can always get a Roku or Amazon Fire for that.

Last edited by blackcat6; Today at 04:16 AM.
post #9127 of 9127 Old Today, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
If it is going to be you main TV, 1080p is what I would get. The only other things that matter to me are the number of inputs, and what does it sound like. Many LCDs have little tinny speakers and the "good deal" isn't maybe such a good deal if you have to shell out another $150 for a sound bar. I wouldn't worry about the "smart" features. You can always get a Roku or Amazon Fire for that.

I agree with the input numbers. My current TV has four auxiliary channels and inputs to match (three on the back, and one on the front). Unfortunately, my home theater receiver (Denon AVR 983) was built before the days of HDMI, so I guess I'll be using component jacks instead (no Blu-Ray player yet). Check out this Philips video and see if you agree with what they say about component cables and 1080 bandwidth...

With that said, we don't always use the home theater speakers, so I'll check the sound levels on the flat screen TVs. I assume the thinner the unit, the poorer the sound?

I've heard good things about Costco, but the nearest one around here is in Charlotte, and I don't get over that way much. I do have membership with Sam's Club, so I'll check them out here in town. Best Buy's Insignia brand looks intriguing, but I hear their return policy is good for only 14 days .
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page