Forum Jump: 
 81Likes

post #9271 of 9285 Old 01-20-2015, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Before the change, WBTV apparently received Grit transmitted in 16x9 from Katz. Then broadcast it on 3.3 with a 4x3 aspect ratio. Now, Katz has changed Grit to 4x3 and is still transmitted by WBTV in 4x3. What would be better, if both parties would transmit 16x9. I think that is what is done with Movies! on 46.2. But I did think the clarity was better on Grit before the change, despite being zoomed in. And I am not sure what WLOS has done, but Grit is now zoomed in on 13.3 with no black area on the top and bottom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9272 of 9285 Old 01-20-2015, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I think what happened with WBTV is they had their equipment to receive a 16:9 broadcast and then transmit it as 4:3. (this is irrelevant of the actual content). So KATZ changes to 4:3, but WBTV hasn't done anything. So it's taking a 4:3 broadcast and now changing is as if it was still 16:9. This is why it's taking up such a small amount of the screen. This also distorts the content so to fix it you have to both adjust the aspect ratio and/or zoom & stretch the picture. Maybe this is happening on escape on WAXN too as there are bars all the way around and some of the content is distorted too.

I've pretty much stopped watching both KATZ stations. They had some good shows/movies on them but this is too much hassle to deal with because you have to readjust almost every time the show changes.

And you are right, the picture on both channels is a lot grainer now too.

Interestingly WJZY had this issue with Movies!, as previously noted here, but their excellent tech department fixed it.

Last edited by blackcat6; 01-20-2015 at 05:30 PM.
post #9273 of 9285 Old 01-20-2015, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Justice Network is now live on 36.2. With a 16x9 aspect from WCNC but looks like picture may be transmitted as 4x3 as it looks zoomed in.
post #9274 of 9285 Old 01-20-2015, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
If VhF isn't an issue then in an attic, I think I'd prefer a bowtie antenna, so the DB8-e. In regards to the amp, if you are only wiring up two TVs, I'd probably go with a pre-amp like the Winegard LNA 200 and get rid of anything else downstream.

Please keep us updated on your progress.
I finally got the DB8E assembled, and mounted on a 10 foot mast (a top rail of a chain link fence) inserted into a tripod in the attic. For now I just dropped the wire to the room below with the upstairs TV. Once I get everything set, I will wire it through the downstairs wiring closet, replacing the TWC input.

After some trial and error, I have one bay pointing at 50 degrees, and the other bay 90 degrees off at 320 degrees. I am picking up 50 virtual channels (about 16-17 channels). I think pretty much all that I can expect to get. I tried pointing the one bay more towards 286 degrees (instead of 320), and did pick up some Greenville, SC channels, but at the expense of some local ones. Not sure which ones I want, so it's back to the 320 degrees for now.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c159c440f8b2c

I have not tried the preamp as yet. Just to see what happens, I am going to hook it up tomorrow and see if I get any additional channels. I may need it eventually once I get everything hooked up properly and there are long cable runs to the two tv's.

Thanks for the advice and help. I am pretty happy with receiving 50 channels, including the one VHF channel.
post #9275 of 9285 Old 01-21-2015, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmehtas View Post
I finally got the DB8E assembled, and mounted on a 10 foot mast (a top rail of a chain link fence) inserted into a tripod in the attic......
Congratulations & thanks for the update. It's always a nice feeling when something like this works. I'd be interested in hearing how reception holds up during windy rainy weather.
post #9276 of 9285 Old 01-21-2015, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
...I've pretty much stopped watching both KATZ stations. They had some good shows/movies on them but this is too much hassle to deal with because you have to readjust almost every time the show changes....
I tried watching GRIT last nite, but it looked like it was 4:3 film stretched to 16:9, then after zooming in to stretch the letterbox image to fill the screen, it was unwatchable... Escape used to be better, even when they did stretch 4:3 into 16:9 full screen mode.
post #9277 of 9285 Old 01-21-2015, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla_engineer View Post
Fox Television Stations has acquired rights to new multicast network Buzzr TV from FremantleMedia North America (FMNA) and Debmar-Mercury.
Buzzr TV will showcase FremantleMedia’s library of game show content in all 17 Fox O&O markets, including nine out of the top 10, and 14 out of the top 20 DMAs. (Source TV News Check 01/20/15)
Sounds like BuzzrTV will be the place for classic game show fans alienated by a shrinking classic line-up on cable's GSN (Game Show Network), much the same way channels like Antenna TV and MeTV filled the void after years of TV Land alienating its classic TV fan base.

Eric Calhoun

"If it was simple, anyone could do it" - Roy Clark from Hee Haw
post #9278 of 9285 Old 01-21-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmehtas View Post
I finally got the DB8E assembled, and mounted on a 10 foot mast (a top rail of a chain link fence) inserted into a tripod in the attic. For now I just dropped the wire to the room below with the upstairs TV. Once I get everything set, I will wire it through the downstairs wiring closet, replacing the TWC input.

After some trial and error, I have one bay pointing at 50 degrees, and the other bay 90 degrees off at 320 degrees. I am picking up 50 virtual channels (about 16-17 channels). I think pretty much all that I can expect to get. I tried pointing the one bay more towards 286 degrees (instead of 320), and did pick up some Greenville, SC channels, but at the expense of some local ones. Not sure which ones I want, so it's back to the 320 degrees for now.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c159c440f8b2c

I have not tried the preamp as yet. Just to see what happens, I am going to hook it up tomorrow and see if I get any additional channels. I may need it eventually once I get everything hooked up properly and there are long cable runs to the two tv's.

Thanks for the advice and help. I am pretty happy with receiving 50 channels, including the one VHF channel.
Good results there. But be careful when connecting to the junction box in the wiring closet. That could result in a loss of signal, and it may not pass power from the power supply to the preamp. You may need to place the power supply between the junction box and the preamp at the antenna, otherwise the junction box may not pass power. And some folks use a distribution amp at the junction box, but I would go ahead and try the Winegard preamp you already have. The DB8e is reportedly a very good antenna.
post #9279 of 9285 Old 01-21-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a smaller DB2e that I tested in the attic over the weekend. Pulled in all Dallas signals from Charlotte at 75 miles, including WBTV with 10 bars and the others with 5 to 7. No preamp. Also got RF7 and and the more problematic RF13, so good results for Hi VHF as well. WSPA was a full 10 bars and WLOS was 6 or 7. So a solid performer with very good results. I believe the bow ties are a bit longer than the original DB2, and the reflector screen is definitely much larger. But I will say if you need a basic, inexpensive 2 bay, the MCM version is now on sale for $8.99 with the promo code on the home page. And it probably will perform well also, although perhaps not quite the superior performance of the DB2e.
post #9280 of 9285 Old 01-21-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Good results there. But be careful when connecting to the junction box in the wiring closet. That could result in a loss of signal, and it may not pass power from the power supply to the preamp. You may need to place the power supply between the junction box and the preamp at the antenna, otherwise the junction box may not pass power. And some folks use a distribution amp at the junction box, but I would go ahead and try the Winegard preamp you already have. The DB8e is reportedly a very good antenna.
Thanks! I was planning on putting the power supply in the attic. And, I will try it with/without the distribution amp. Probably won't get to routing it through the wiring closet until I am happy with the tuning.

I did put the preamp in the circuit (still just attached to the upstairs TV), and did not overload any signals. It's a bit of a pain having to go up and down the attic stairs, make a change to the antenna position, search for channels, etc. Wish I had a smaller tv I could take into the attic.

So far, I am not finding much difference no matter what. There are a couple of channels (WCWG-DT & WFMY-DT) about 82 miles away and at 50 degrees that are sensitive to the right bay position. The left bay does not seem to make much of a difference whether I have it parallel to the main bay or at 90 degrees off (except for one channel). I can also get WYCW-DT (at 99 miles away) at 287 degrees but was losing a few closer channels, and it was coming in pixelated so gave up on that.

There are 46 sub-channels that are rock solid and don't seem to be at all sensitive to moving the bays around within reason (including the one VHF channel). I am going to do some more trial and error, and may end up just being happy with the 46 to 50 channels. Then it will be time to get the routing correct to the two tv's.
post #9281 of 9285 Old 01-21-2015, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

^^You may stand a better chance of receiving some Greensboro or Columbia stations rather than Greenville-Spartanburg at your location. If you are interested.
post #9282 of 9285 Old 01-21-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
^^You may stand a better chance of receiving some Greensboro or Columbia stations rather than Greenville-Spartanburg at your location. If you are interested.
Yes, that's what I am discovering. Although both Channel 19 and 51 are both at 50 degrees, I seem to only be able to get Channel 19 at the moment, and it comes in fairly strong. Need to make more adjustments and see if I can find both. I did get Channel 51 at one point, but I think 19 was pixelating.
post #9283 of 9285 Old 01-24-2015, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Any of you considering an Amazon Prime subscription, it's only $72 today only.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prime/pipe...ansparentprime
post #9284 of 9285 Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Any of you considering an Amazon Prime subscription, it's only $72 today only.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prime/pipe...ansparentprime
Missed it, that's what I get for not checking the forum yesterday! Due to the price increase and not watching anything on it for the last 3 months, I dropped it this month. I haven't got any "...we want you back..." like DISH does (yet) . There's enough OTA content during the fall/winter/spring to watch, then sign back up with Netflix for a few months to watch a couple series (i.e. Longmire, House of Cards).
post #9285 of 9285 Old Today, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I noticed this from last month.

http://charlottemediascene.blogspot....newscasts.html

Seems like WSOC's almost impenetrable news broadcast armor might finally be developing a few chinks. They lost a lot of viewers though they still hold the #1 spot at 6pm.

I'm surprised that FOX/WJZY, after a year of having a local news broadcast isn't doing some major house cleaning by now. I'm surprised that Nelson can measure numbers that low. IMO, that entire experimental evening news format needs to be gutted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception