Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 311 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 82Likes

post #9301 of 9320 Old Yesterday, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 12
[QUOTE=foxeng;31241466]Some people change news stations with the change of anchors. Many times content or presentation have little to do with it, unfortunately. QUOTE]

I still watch some locals news on WSOC. In fact I watch "some" of all of the local news stations. But about a year ago, I abandoned ABC News for one reason alone - meteoroligist Ginger Zee. I want someone more experienced to be the head weather person, and feel they elevated her too quickly after Sam Champion's departure to The Weather Channel.

Now I watch Scott Pelley at 6:30 on WBTV, and was glad to see that his ratings spiked here in Charlotte (per the link above) in the most recent period.

I also like CBS News in the morning. They have found a nitch, in viewers who are not looking for "The Chew" type levity and frivolity in a morning newscast, but rather want news treated seriously.
4:3 Toshiba likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9302 of 9320 Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just ran across a WBTV gem, so indulge me if this is "old news" to you. When I have time, I have a passion for browsing YouTube for old newscast footage from local TV stations or even something as exciting as a 10-sec grab of an old station logo/ID. You know, back in the day when station IDs were more "intentional" and were even verbalized - imagine that! Now, station IDs are more like a "wham bam, thank you, ma'am" or a game of "Where's Waldo?" Also, when stations signed on/off there were even detailed, sometimes creative sign on/off "reports". But I digress a bit - here's a video of the first 10-Year Anniversary of the WBTV institution, "Carolina Camera" from around 1980. I even praise whoever recorded this to include the entire hour - station ID, commercials, etc. So enjoy -

Eric Calhoun

"If it was simple, anyone could do it" - Roy Clark from Hee Haw
post #9303 of 9320 Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Should I be able to pick up anything in my area?
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c1506970d0c9c

New to this so not sure...
post #9304 of 9320 Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeMan View Post

To verify I am looking at the correct link, it says VALDESE - correct?

Eric Calhoun

post #9305 of 9320 Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacalhoun View Post
Yes it does, thanks *Edit, just hooked up set of rabbit ears & have these
stations: 6.1-6.2-18.6-18.7-18.8

Last edited by CherokeeMan; Yesterday at 09:18 AM.
post #9306 of 9320 Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
You might have some success via the translators that have line-of-sight to your location. You can look those translators up on the rabbitears.info site.

W20DD is WCCB (TheCW) and some retro programming stations.
W42DR is WSOC (ABC) and an independent station WAXN.
W35AV is WHNS (FOX). W08BF is WSPA (CBS).

The problem is that the transmitters are in a lot of different directions, relaying signals from stations in two or three different markets. And some of the signals (from translators and from main transmitters) are VHF, even VHF-Lo in the case of the NBC affiliate WCYB from Bristol (which you don't have line-of-sight to).
post #9307 of 9320 Old Yesterday, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
OK, then. What you are in all likelihood receiving are the signals from the two closest translators. W42DR on RF 42 is giving you 6.1 (WSOC, ABC) and 6.2 (WAXN, Independent).

Now, WSOC actually has virtual channel number 9, but for some reason that translator has PSIP that displays a virtual channel number of 6, according to rabbitears.info.

http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...=w42dr#station

W20DD on RF 20 is giving you all of the channels from station WCCB (virtual 18).

Last edited by veedon; Yesterday at 10:24 AM.
post #9308 of 9320 Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM

Quote:
As veedon posted, you are getting the translators for WSOC (6.1), WAXN (6.2), WCCB-CW (18.6) plus AntennaTV and ME-TV on 18.7 and 18.8

According to your TV Fool report, you should (with an indoor antenna - rabbit ears) also be getting WHKY (14.1) its sub-channel offerings: RetroTV, Heartland (Country/Classic Country-related programs), and THIS-TV. Plus PBS on WUNE (17.1-17.3) from Linville.

The other channels on the TV Fool report in the yellow and pink shadings should be attainable with bigger and higher antenna - attic or even better on the roof.

Eric Calhoun

post #9309 of 9320 Old Yesterday, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
. I abandoned ABC News for one reason alone - meteoroligist Ginger Zee. I want someone more experienced to be the head weather person, and feel they elevated her too quickly after Sam Champion's departure to The Weather Channel....
I'm not sure who these people might be, but when David Muir took over as head ABC anchor, Rob Marciano, I think used to be on CNN, is moved in as the new chief weather annunciator. Both were positive changes for ABC IMO.
post #9310 of 9320 Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You should be able to without issue, but how many stations really depends upon how much work you want to put into it. I would recommend an outdoor antenna, but before I suggest further, can you give some information on which of these stations that you want to receive.
post #9311 of 9320 Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
The issues you describe sound like they are caused by the poor video source, namely TWC.

Your best broadcast video quality is going to come from putting up an antenna. Depending upon the TV routing through a HTPC with some advanced deinterlacing can make 1080i look like Blu-Ray 1080p. No ghosting or artifacts at all.

Also these days, Netflix/Amazon Prime is looking pretty darned good. If you pick up their newer shows via say a HDMI connected Amazon Fire or Roku 3 and good wired Internet connect, the video can be quite stunning on a modern TV.

I'm just now starting to digest some of this new TV jargon, and I have never heard of advanced deinterlacing. 1080i looks pretty good for the most part, but no better than 720p (WSOC) on my model (UN40H5003AFXZA). Shouldn't today's TVs already have this feature? Would TV nomenclature explain whether such a feature is installed or not?
post #9312 of 9320 Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM

[quote=OTA-DVR-guy;31279554]
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
I also like CBS News in the morning. They have found a nitch, in viewers who are not looking for "The Chew" type levity and frivolity in a morning newscast, but rather want news treated seriously.

Ain't that the God's truth.

Hoda & Kathy Lee come to mind here too.
post #9313 of 9320 Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo1080 View Post
WSOC-TV has a translator on the Crowder's Mtn. tower. It is on RF Channel 30 @ 9KW ERP. It carries 9.5 and 64.5. The sign is required by law.

For what it's worth, I can pick up WSOC's signal from their Charlotte-area tower quite well, but WAXN is another story. Do both stations broadcast from the same Charlotte-area tower, and at the same wattage?

If so, looks like WAXN would come in loud & clear.
post #9314 of 9320 Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4:3 Toshiba View Post
For what it's worth, I can pick up WSOC's signal from their Charlotte-area tower quite well, but WAXN is another story. Do both stations broadcast from the same Charlotte-area tower, and at the same wattage?

I think the transmitters are located very near to each other, perhaps even on the same tower, but WAXN (RF 50) has a much lower ERP than WSOC (RF 34). Perhaps that is to avoid interference with WCBD in Charleston, SC, which also uses RF 50.
post #9315 of 9320 Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4:3 Toshiba View Post

WSOC and WAXN are on the same tower. But WAXN is lower power and uses a directional antenna, whereas WSOC is full power and omnidirectional. I believe WAXN has to avoid adjacent channel interference with WFMY in Greensboro.
post #9316 of 9320 Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=OTA-DVR-guy;31279554]
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
Some people change news stations with the change of anchors. Many times content or presentation have little to do with it, unfortunately. QUOTE]

I still watch some locals news on WSOC. In fact I watch "some" of all of the local news stations. But about a year ago, I abandoned ABC News for one reason alone - meteoroligist Ginger Zee. I want someone more experienced to be the head weather person, and feel they elevated her too quickly after Sam Champion's departure to The Weather Channel.

Now I watch Scott Pelley at 6:30 on WBTV, and was glad to see that his ratings spiked here in Charlotte (per the link above) in the most recent period.

I prefer NBC Nightly News or the CBS Evening News. I think they retired Diane Sawyer on ABC to appoint David Muir as a lure for younger viewers. He is not yet an elder statesman anchor like Tom Brokaw or Walter Cronkite. As for Sam Champion, I believed NBC hired him for the Weather Channel just to get him away from Good Morning America, which had been beating the Today Show in the ratings. But I agree that CBS This Morning is a better news program without all of the fluff. And I like Charlie Rose and Nora O'Donnell. But I just put up with Oprah's friend, which I really don't know why she needs to be there.
post #9317 of 9320 Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
WBTV big reveal could come tomorrow or most likely by Monday. No advance publicity so far but hopefully a nice upgrade. I believe the February ratings period begins tomorrow.
Looks like Monday may be the day.
post #9318 of 9320 Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
From Valdese, you should easily receive the translators for WSOC and WCCB. But to receive the Dallas signals from Charlotte, and perhaps some Greenville-Spartanburg, you will need a good high gain antenna and preamp. Such as Winegard 7698 and LNA-200 preamp. Or Antennacraft HBU-55. If you mainly want Dallas, then perhaps a 91XG UHF antenna.
post #9319 of 9320 Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
You should be able to without issue, but how many stations really depends upon how much work you want to put into it. I would recommend an outdoor antenna, but before I suggest further, can you give some information on which of these stations that you want to receive.
I want to get the major networks ABC, NBC, CBS & FOX.
post #9320 of 9320 Old Today, 01:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
..., you will need a good high gain antenna and preamp. Such as Winegard 7698 and LNA-200 preamp. ....
A pre-amp will not put more signal on your antenna. It is only there to compensate for long runs of coax cable and/or splitters. The LNA-200 is approximately ~$50+. That is a lot of money to spend for something that may not add anything at all to your system.

Last edited by blackcat6; Today at 01:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page