85Likes
post #9331 of 9338 Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
This doesn't really tell me which of those stations that you want, as you have several choices. However here is what I recommend.

• If you want to receive the full spectrum of channels 2-51 then you should look at something like an Antennacraft HD1850.
  • If you want to receive VHF-Hi (7-13) + UHF then consider an Antennacraft HBU-55 or Winegard 7698p.
  • If you only care about UHF then go with an Antennacraft MXU59. This antenna has an option for adding a VHF antenna which you can point in anther direction. Another option is the Winegard HD9032.

All of these antennas will pick up a strong signal from the back side. You can take advantage of that to point the antenna at the weakest station that you want to receive.
Sorry really dont understand the tvfool report & vhf/uhf. Best i can tell is uhf from charlotte area? Basically wanting pick up stations easiest to receive w/antenna in attic (hopefully) without rotor if possible..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9332 of 9338 Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
....But those Channel Master dist amps are well reviewed when used in the proper application.
The "proper application" is to compensate for coax/splitter losses. It won't put more signal on the antenna.
post #9333 of 9338 Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo1080 View Post
WSOC and WAXN's antennas are mounted on top of one another at our tower on Plaza Road in NE Charlotte. WSOC is an omni-directional at 1000KW ERP. WAXN is a directional at 150 KW ERP with the null toward the NE (WFMY's transmitter site. They are Channel 51). WAXN power is at this level as it matches its coverage from pre-2009 analog days. WAXN was "drop-in" when it when on the air back in 1994. It was more than a LPTV, but less than a full power station. Believe me, if we could increase the power , we would.

Thanks much.

Considering how close I am to Crowders Mountain (4 to 5 miles - I can see the tower from my front porch), looks like I could pick up WAXN-CR with no problem, but the signal must not be that strong to the east of the mountain.
post #9334 of 9338 Unread Yesterday, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeMan View Post
Sorry really dont understand the tvfool report & vhf/uhf. Best i can tell is uhf from charlotte area? Basically wanting pick up stations easiest to receive w/antenna in attic (hopefully) without rotor if possible..
I think you're just in a tough area for OTA reception. I would not expect any antenna to work miracles.

I'm a big believer in line-of-sight and in first trying to get the signals from the closest transmitters before worrying about long-distance reception. There is a reason why TV stations have gone to the trouble and expense to put translators in your area. It's because you'd have a hard time getting a good signal from their main transmitters that are distant from you.

In the world of digital broadcasting, anything over 50 miles should be considered long distance and problematic. You might be able to make it work, but don't count on it.

Of the transmitters that I mentioned in post 9306, all of them are UHF except the WSPA (CBS) translator on RF 8 and the WCYB transmitter on RF 5 from Bristol. RF 5 will be nearly impossible to receive without a large outdoor antenna that has elements specifically designed for VHF-Lo.
post #9335 of 9338 Unread Yesterday, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Well you should be able to receive WSOC and WCCB easily from the Smith Mtn. translators. Which is ABC and CW. But the other networks may be a bit more challenging. And yes, CBS, NBC, and FOX from Charlotte are all UHF and transmit from Dallas, NC. To receive those channels, a good high gain UHF antenna would be recommended. Such as 91XG or the Solid Signal version which is a bit cheaper. Or an MXU-59 or Winegard 9095. And an amp may help in a fringe situation, but I will let the other experts here continue to debate that. As sometimes they may do more harm than good. Now if you want to try for WLOS-RF13 or WSPA-RF7, then a combo antenna such as HBU-55 Antennacraft or Winegard 7698 may be the better choice. And you may be able to receive the WHNS and WSPA translators for FOX and CBS, but not sure if they are analog or digital.
post #9336 of 9338 Unread Yesterday, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
...And you may be able to receive the WHNS and WSPA translators for FOX and CBS, but not sure if they are analog or digital.
On the TVFool report that CherokeeMan provided, the WSPA translator is definitely digital. (It is called W08BF-D.)

For WHNS, the report actually shows two different translators that are both called W35AV. The stronger one (for his location) is digital and operates on RF 30 (not 35, according to the report) from a location of Black Mountain. The weaker one is analog and operates on RF 35. But that info about the analog one may be outdated. The analog translator may have already been shut down or will soon shut down.
post #9337 of 9338 Unread Today, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Forget everything that I said, then if you are planning to put the antenna in your attic. No guarantees at all on that. Expect to be disappointed with the results. It can be done, but a lot of it is going to be trial an error to achieve reliable results. Note the word reliable here.

My recommendation, if learning a little about VHF/UHF and determining the stations that you want is more than you want to take on, is that you should try to hire someone locally to help you set this up.

Large antenna installations such as this require some thought, consideration and study to be successful. It's pretty much impossible to cover everything that you are going to need to make it work in the manner in which the discussion is proceeding here.

Good Luck.
post #9338 of 9338 Unread Today, 09:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
Forget everything that I said, then if you are planning to put the antenna in your attic. No guarantees at all on that. Expect to be disappointed with the results. It can be done, but a lot of it is going to be trial an error to achieve reliable results. Note the word reliable here.

My recommendation, if learning a little about VHF/UHF and determining the stations that you want is more than you want to take on, is that you should try to hire someone locally to help you set this up.

Large antenna installations such as this require some thought, consideration and study to be successful. It's pretty much impossible to cover everything that you are going to need to make it work in the manner in which the discussion is proceeding here.

Good Luck.
Appreciate the info & thinking you are probably right. Recently moved here from house approx. 9 miles away & amazed at the reception difference. At old residence just stuck HD antenna in attic & boom over 20 stations, no consideration or studies needed lol.

Guess its gonna end up dish or charter as much as I hate to go that route...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page