Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 317 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > HDTV > Local HDTV Info and Reception > Charlotte, NC - OTA

Local HDTV Info and Reception

bdfox18doe's Avatar bdfox18doe
05:21 AM Liked: 80
post #9481 of 9501
02-25-2015 | Posts: 6,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
They only method that I can think of that allows you to receive all the subchannels along with a EPG is to put up an antenna along with your own OTA DVR.
Yes, the only way to watch AntennaTv is with an Antenna.....On your Tv...
4:3 Toshiba's Avatar 4:3 Toshiba
05:53 PM Liked: 10
post #9482 of 9501
02-25-2015 | Posts: 78
Quote:
See Charlotte, NC - TWC

If you want to read a good discussion on the subject matter go here. Search on free cable channels. (they were not really free)

http://www.reddit.com/r/cordcutters/

Thanks.

Still not sure if this applies to me, though, since I already pay for cable TV.

If TWC insists that broadcast cable subscribers have to have a converter box for a digital TV tuner to receive their signals, they will loose even more customers.
csmith's Avatar csmith
08:11 PM Liked: 23
post #9483 of 9501
02-25-2015 | Posts: 319
WMYT-SD showing up on 46.3
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC
01:10 AM Liked: 115
post #9484 of 9501
02-26-2015 | Posts: 4,508
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith View Post
WMYT-SD showing up on 46.3
This is probably because WMYT is at significantly reduced power due to technical problems with their transmitter and antenna. It may be several days or weeks before it is repaired and they are back to full power for 55.
OTA-DVR-guy's Avatar OTA-DVR-guy
07:08 AM Liked: 12
post #9485 of 9501
02-26-2015 | Posts: 113
Question for Bob:

What was up with WCCB's sub-channels late last night? Right around midnight, they all froze, and stayed that way for quite a while. 18.1 was still fine. .2 appeared to be blank, and said "no signal" on the screen, even though my personal signal strength was still in the high 90's. .3 and .4 had a freeze-frame on the screen. I was watching Perry Mason on .3 when it froze, and I thought I had lost signal. I turned on another TV, hooked to a different antenna, and had the same freeze-frame. I then checked my signal strength, and saw it was still good. At that point I checked all four of them, and found that only the .1 was still broadcasting normally.
mvcg66b3r's Avatar mvcg66b3r
10:45 AM Liked: 1
post #9486 of 9501
02-26-2015 | Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
This is probably because WMYT is at significantly reduced power due to technical problems with their transmitter and antenna. It may be several days or weeks before it is repaired and they are back to full power for 55.
Might as well stay on 46.3 and upgrade to HD. 55 is probably spectrum bait anyway.
11:25 AM Liked: 10
post #9487 of 9501
02-26-2015 | Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
Question for Bob:

What was up with WCCB's sub-channels late last night? Right around midnight, they all froze, and stayed that way for quite a while. 18.1 was still fine. .2 appeared to be blank, and said "no signal" on the screen, even though my personal signal strength was still in the high 90's. .3 and .4 had a freeze-frame on the screen. I was watching Perry Mason on .3 when it froze, and I thought I had lost signal. I turned on another TV, hooked to a different antenna, and had the same freeze-frame. I then checked my signal strength, and saw it was still good. At that point I checked all four of them, and found that only the .1 was still broadcasting normally.

I saw that too.

I assumed it might be weather related, but their feed could have been at fault.
11:39 AM Liked: 10
post #9488 of 9501
02-26-2015 | Posts: 78
Quote:
If there was any calibration, then resetting it to initial conditions eliminated it. Sounds as if there was never a HW issue, but instead the issue was one caused by SW.

After experiencing my problem, I am beginning to wonder if faulty TV tuners are more to blame for bad picture quality than the display itself. Many have complained about displays made by third-party vendors, but it could have been the tuner instead.

I've seen VCR tuners and digital-to-analog cable converters that gave less than stellar viewing results regardless of connection type.
brice52's Avatar brice52
11:56 AM Liked: 10
post #9489 of 9501
02-26-2015 | Posts: 25
Quote:
Back when I had Dish, there were no sub-channels at all. Just the XX.1 of each station. When you connected an antenna to their receiver, some of the channels would show up with guide info in it's EPG, others did not have it.

They only method that I can think of that allows you to receive all the subchannels along with a EPG is to put up an antenna along with your own OTA DVR. (or TV if you are OK with the broadcast EIT)
I have dishnetwork 722k dvr with a two tuner OTA module installed and it shows epg with the exception of wpxu and wunm.
11:59 AM Liked: 12
post #9490 of 9501
02-26-2015 | Posts: 113
Has anyone noticed that the on-screen channel guide for WCCB 18.4 (QVC) shows the programming line-up for MOVIES! on 46.2? Same line-up displays for both, on my Channelmaster DVR.
mcy919's Avatar mcy919
01:58 PM Liked: 11
post #9491 of 9501
02-26-2015 | Posts: 222
Quote:
You are correct:

http://www.myfoxcarolinas.com/story/...al-on-wjzy-463

I hope they leave it on there for my Dad who can't receive 55 that often, but I'm not holding my breath.
blackcat6's Avatar blackcat6
02:14 PM Liked: 58
post #9492 of 9501
02-26-2015 | Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Has anyone noticed that the on-screen channel guide for WCCB 18.4 (QVC) shows the programming line-up for MOVIES! on 46.2? Same line-up displays for both, on my Channelmaster DVR.
That CM must be addled. The schedule is OK on my MythTV DVR.
A J's Avatar A J
07:47 AM Liked: 14
post #9493 of 9501
Yesterday | Posts: 397
Quote:
Not that way on my Channel Master DVR (CM-7000PAL). I unlocked 18.4 and checked the guide and it was all shopping. Then I locked out 18.4 again (not my cup of tea).
09:17 AM Liked: 12
post #9494 of 9501
Yesterday | Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
Not that way on my Channel Master DVR (CM-7000PAL). I unlocked 18.4 and checked the guide and it was all shopping. Then I locked out 18.4 again (not my cup of tea).
I believe they have since fixed it. I noticed it was this way for quite a while, though.
bdfox18doe's Avatar bdfox18doe
09:41 AM Liked: 80
post #9495 of 9501
Yesterday | Posts: 6,501
Quote:
I believe they have since fixed it. I noticed it was this way for quite a while, though.
There have been no other reports of issues with QVC guide data on 18.4 that we know of. It's a 3rd party service anyway.
Now the outage you mentioned the other night was due to snow fade (in the sky) and accumulation in the dishes.
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC
06:48 PM Liked: 115
post #9496 of 9501
Yesterday | Posts: 4,508
Looks like 55 may be back to full power as I am now getting 8 or 9 bars again.
davebmck
08:44 AM Liked: 0
post #9497 of 9501
Today | Posts: 3
OK, I am new to this board,so just let me know if I am posting this in the wrong place. I'm also new to OTA as I am tired of paying $70 per month for satellite service to watch a half dozen channels.

I just purchased a RCA ANT1750F amplified antenna and installed it high up in my vaulted ceiling. It's about 16 feet above ground. I'm picking up all the local channels I wanted to get except for channel 36 (WCNC), which is the channel we like to watch for the local news and weather.

I live a little south of Waxhaw NC and TV Fool reports that ch 36 is 42 miles away at 324 deg. However, ch 3 (WBTV) is 44 miles away, also at 324 deg and I get that station fine. I also get ch 10 (WIS) in Columbia SC which is 52 miles south of me. All these are in the yellow zone that should be receivable with an indoor antenna,

Whats the problem here? Does ch 36 just have a weaker signal than the other channels? Do I need a better antenna to pick up this station? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dave
blackcat6's Avatar blackcat6
01:52 PM Liked: 58
post #9498 of 9501
Today | Posts: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebmck View Post
Whats the problem here? Does ch 36 just have a weaker signal than the other channels? Do I need a better antenna to pick up this station? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dave
Most likely you need a better antenna. Those flat leaf style antennas have no real gain. The amplifiers don't serve much purpose since they don't put more signal on the antenna.

WCNC is more difficult to pickup and especially if you are 42 miles from the transmitter. I'd need to see your TV fool report to make a good recommendation, but if you can't do that, and you wish to stick with an indoor antenna, then look for a Winegard Freevision. (locally sold at Home Depot, don't confuse it with the flatwave) No guarantees on that, but it is a better antenna and does have directional gain.

I'm guessing however if you want reliable reception, you going to need a larger antenna than typically found indoors.
tylerSC's Avatar tylerSC
02:02 PM Liked: 115
post #9499 of 9501
Today | Posts: 4,508
WCNC has a few nulls in there signal, whereas WBTV is more omnidirectional. The Freevision from Home Depot is a good antenna, but he may be better off with an HBU33, and there are good clearance prices at some Radioshack stores right now that are closing. But if space is a factor, then consider a Clearstream 4V or Clearstream 2V from Walmart or Best Buy. Although a bit pricey, they are good performers in a compact space. As for an amp, Home Depot now sells the Winegard LNA200 which is moderate gain and low noise. Should not need much of an amp as WSOC and WCCB should have strong nearby signals. And the Radioshack preamp is also on clearance and has adjustable gain.
davebmck
03:54 PM Liked: 0
post #9500 of 9501
Quote:
I'd need to see your TV fool report to make a good recommendation.
If you can suggest how to post it, I will be happy to. I tried to copy it into a Word file, but it is too large to post.
davebmck
04:23 PM Liked: 0
post #9501 of 9501
Quote:
The Freevision from Home Depot is a good antenna, but he may be better off with an HBU33, and there are good clearance prices at some Radioshack stores right now that are closing. But if space is a factor, then consider a Clearstream 4V or Clearstream 2V from Walmart or Best Buy.
Looks like the HBU33 is an outdoor antenna and the Clearstream 4V is either indoor or outdoor. Are both of these directional? I kind of like the idea of the omni-directional as I have stations all around me. If I'm going outdoors, what would be the best omni-directional antenna?

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Subscribe to this Thread