106Likes
post #9511 of 9523 Old 03-01-2015, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
You don't have direct LOS to WCNC at 16 ft. height and all the stations from that farm are on the low side. i.e. You are picking up a refracted signal.
That explains why I get better recption with cloudy weather. WCNC is coming in fine this morning, I guess the signal is bouncing off the clouds.

I'll take a look at the antenna suggestions you guys have made and see if I can get an outside one up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9512 of 9523 Old 03-01-2015, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4:3 Toshiba View Post
Just who all broadcasts from the Dallas tower farm?

Does this forum cover weather radio signal reception for weather radios?

I have a fairly new Midland WR-120 weather radio, and I have seen times when I got no alert in spite of warnings scrolling across the TV. I've ruled out incorrect radio settings. My reception signal comes from Spencer Mountain.
WBTV-3, WCNC-36, WJZY-46, and WMYT-55 all broadcast from tall towers in Dallas. Only WBTV has a top mounted stick antenna which is more omnidirectional. The others are side mounted panels which may have nulls in certain areas. Also, several radio signals are broadcast from these towers also, including 107.9, 105.3, 95.1, and 96.1. 105.3 used to be a popular local station in Gaffney, SC before it was "relocated" to Charlotte in a controversial move that still angers SC listeners to this day. And WSOC/WAXN has a translator from Crowder's Mtn. for 9 and 64.
post #9513 of 9523 Old 03-01-2015, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
105.3 used to be a popular local station in Gaffney, SC before it was "relocated" to Charlotte in a controversial move that still angers SC listeners to this day.

Thanks,

WAGI was hugely popular in this area before the hispanics took it over. Why did the original owners sell the station?

Same thing happened to stations like WKMT. WLTC in Gastonia was a popular station, but it shut down altogether if I'm not mistaken. Most local low-power stations were bought by talk radio. Nothing against that format, but I do miss the local programs.
post #9514 of 9523 Old 03-01-2015, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
WBTV-3, WCNC-36, WJZY-46, and WMYT-55 all broadcast from tall towers in Dallas. Only WBTV has a top mounted stick antenna which is more omnidirectional. The others are side mounted panels which may have nulls in certain areas. Also, several radio signals are broadcast from these towers also, including 107.9, 105.3, 95.1, and 96.1. 105.3 used to be a popular local station in Gaffney, SC before it was "relocated" to Charlotte in a controversial move that still angers SC listeners to this day. And WSOC/WAXN has a translator from Crowder's Mtn. for 9 and 64.
I wish 9, 14, and 18 and 64 were there.
post #9515 of 9523 Old 03-01-2015, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realoldman View Post
I wish 9, 14, and 18 and 64 were there.
9 and 64 have the translator on Crowder's Mtn. but it is much lower power.
post #9516 of 9523 Old 03-01-2015, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks,

WAGI was hugely popular in this area before the hispanics took it over. Why did the original owners sell the station?

Same thing happened to stations like WKMT. WLTC in Gastonia was a popular station, but it shut down altogether if I'm not mistaken. Most local low-power stations were bought by talk radio. Nothing against that format, but I do miss the local programs.
I believe the original owner of WAGI passed away and it was sold. The new owners decided it was more lucrative to be a Charlotte station rather than a local Gaffney or Greenville-Spartanburg station. It is now owned by Radio One and is an oldies R&B station.
post #9517 of 9523 Old 03-01-2015, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Look like WBTV has made an adjustment and Grit TV is now full screen. Similar to WLOS. But still not the same as before, but better than the recent change.
post #9518 of 9523 Old 03-01-2015, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
To low power to reach WNC but WBTV-3, WCNC-36, WJZY-46, and WMYT-55 all reach.

Can not get 13 or 40 here and 62 is weak.
post #9519 of 9523 Old Yesterday, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Look like WBTV has made an adjustment and Grit TV is now full screen. Similar to WLOS. But still not the same as before, but better than the recent change.
It is a lot better. The weird distortion that was on Grit & Escape is now gone from Grit. The only issue now that I see is that Grit is transmitting a lot of 16:9 programs where it's now supposed to be 4:3. So they get shrunk down to fit that format. The 4:3 stuff looks pretty good now.

At least the 16:9 stuff can be fixed by a simple zoom now.
post #9520 of 9523 Old Yesterday, 06:57 AM
A J

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for the info. Sounds like Grit will be worth watching again. I'll add 3.3 back to the channel lineup on my TV and DVR.
post #9521 of 9523 Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I think the signal is greater towards the west. From the east, I can see the tower (5 miles away) from my porch, but picking up the signal is a hit or a miss depending on atmospheric conditions.
post #9522 of 9523 Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Just who all broadcasts from the Dallas tower farm?

Does this forum cover weather radio signal reception for weather radios?

I have a fairly new Midland WR-120 weather radio, and I have seen times when I got no alert in spite of warnings scrolling across the TV. I've ruled out incorrect radio settings. My reception signal comes from Spencer Mountain.
I am a huge weather junkie and own multiple wx radios - I'm old school and it's more reliable than weather apps. And don't be offended by my helps here - in other words I don't want to come across as a smarty. I just want to make sure all the bases are covered. Plus, given your comment about "incorrect radio settings" I will assume you've read the user manual, etc.

First, in what county do you live? This is important because you could live in a county not served by the Spencer Mountain transmitter, thus any tone alerts they transmit (tones which trigger your radio) would not apply to your location. I say this because there are 3 different NOAA weather radio stations that serve the Charlotte Metro and county combinations vary a bit for each one.

Secondly, this COULD ultimately be your issue. Not every TV weather scroll you see would meet the severity criteria for the National Weather Service to transmit a tone alert. For winter weather events, Winter Storm Warnings (not Watches) are "toned". Winter Weather Advisories are NOT toned, either. Ice Storm Warnings would also likely be toned. Generally, any weather event that's a threat to life/property is "toned". And while lightning is certainly a threat, there are no such warnings and thus are not toned - the sound of thunder is your warning here.

The Greenville-Spartanburg National Weather Service has a weather radio webpage that may provide some help http://www.weather.gov/gsp/nwr

You can also verify some alarm functionality, by way of the weekly tone alert test transmitted each Wednesday between 11am-Noon. Given the newness of your radio, I doubt it audibly alarms for the weekly test - however it does log it and it will show on the radio's LCD display. This display does hold "tone alert" history - maybe up to 30 events - and you should be able to "scroll" back through the history and see its tone alerts. You should find how to display this history in the user manual.

Hope you get the radio to working - please reply back with your results!

Eric Calhoun

"If it was simple, anyone could do it" - Roy Clark from Hee Haw
post #9523 of 9523 Unread Today, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
I think the signal is greater towards the west. From the east, I can see the tower (5 miles away) from my porch, but picking up the signal is a hit or a miss depending on atmospheric conditions.
Antenna Pattern for Crowder's Mt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crowdersmtn pattern.png
Views:	2
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	580121  

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement