Some of you were kind enough to help me choose an antenna, etc. As I posted earlier, I did get the antenna and amp installed in the attic. For various reasons, I just got around to canceling cable TV this week.
I have two tv's - one upstairs and one downstairs. Both tv's are fed from a wiring closet downstairs. I replaced the input going into the powered splitter in the wiring closet with the antenna input. Move my old Series 3 Tivo upstairs and everything works great upstairs. Ordered a new TIVO Roamio for the downstairs TV, and although the channel scan says it found many channels (225!!), i could not get a single channel showing up. Every single one had zero signal strength. Assuming that there might be a problem with the new Roamio, I brought the old Series 3 Tivo downstairs and hooked it up. No channels!!
I am at a loss. Cable TV was working fine, so by replacing the input in the closet with the antenna, with no changes to the output cables, the signal must be getting to the Tivo downstairs. It does work upstairs, therefore the antenna as input is definitely working.
Is there any possibility that the signal is over amplified? There is an amp in the attic, and the powered amp/splitter in the closet. The upstairs TV does have a much longer run since the cable has to go back upstairs, and there are a couple of joins in that route. I am not even sure if there is such a thing as over amplified - wouldn't the channel strength show something if that was the case? And, wouldn't I get at least one channel showing?
I would sincerely appreciate any thoughts or suggestions. The wiring from the closet to the downstairs tv is obviously through the walls, and I cannot imagine something happening to it just from my disconnecting the coax from the Digital Tuning Adapter and hooking it directly into the Tivo Roamio.
Originally Posted by mmehtas
Thanks! I was planning on putting the power supply in the attic. And, I will try it with/without the distribution amp. Probably won't get to routing it through the wiring closet until I am happy with the tuning.
I did put the preamp in the circuit (still just attached to the upstairs TV), and did not overload any signals. It's a bit of a pain having to go up and down the attic stairs, make a change to the antenna position, search for channels, etc. Wish I had a smaller tv I could take into the attic.
So far, I am not finding much difference no matter what. There are a couple of channels (WCWG-DT & WFMY-DT) about 82 miles away and at 50 degrees that are sensitive to the right bay position. The left bay does not seem to make much of a difference whether I have it parallel to the main bay or at 90 degrees off (except for one channel). I can also get WYCW-DT (at 99 miles away) at 287 degrees but was losing a few closer channels, and it was coming in pixelated so gave up on that.
There are 46 sub-channels that are rock solid and don't seem to be at all sensitive to moving the bays around within reason (including the one VHF channel). I am going to do some more trial and error, and may end up just being happy with the 46 to 50 channels. Then it will be time to get the routing correct to the two tv's.