119Likes
post #9631 of 9641 Old 03-30-2015, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
being in mt holly, in the shadow of the Wbtv and Wcnc tower, ( and a myriad of other rf signals such as FM)..the worst recommendation for you to try would be an amplifier..you 're just asking for problems with signal overload there
Right, the towers for WCNC, WBTV, WJZY, and WMYT are all within about seven miles of my house, and the signal from stations in the western part of NC/SC would pretty much have to go right through them. In the days of analog, I could get Spartanburg, as well as the triad to the north. Occasionally even Columbia and Raleigh to the south and northeast. Spartanburg was better at times than others, but was nearly always watchable. From the time analog finally disappeared in 2009, until THIS went originally to 3.2 and MeTV shortly thereafter to 18.3, we had no subchannels in Charlotte, so I was missing analog. For what seemed like quite a while, the Charlotte market trailed woefully behind other markets in SC and NC on adding sub-channels. But more recently, digital TV has brought us a myriad of great options, so now we are much better off over-all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9632 of 9641 Old 03-30-2015, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
being in mt holly, in the shadow of the Wbtv and Wcnc tower, ( and a myriad of other rf signals such as FM)..the worst recommendation for you to try would be an amplifier..you 're just asking for problems with signal overload there
Yea forgot about Mt. Holly being near Dallas. That could very well create overload problem. However there are tricks with filters and attenuators that can be utilized, but you have to be very precise and know what you are doing there.
post #9633 of 9641 Old 03-30-2015, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
You should be able to pull in WSPA RF7 with the right antenna and possibly an amp. And perhaps WLOS RF13. Maybe WYCW-62, but not sure about WYFF-4 and WHNS-21 which are further away. A good antenna would be an Antennacraft HBU33 or HBU55. Or Winegard 7697 or 7698. The Winegard LNA200 preamp is sold at Home Depot, but the noise specs may not be as good as claimed. You may be better off with the RCA preamp or the Channel Master 7778.
Need to look at where he is at. He is a very short distance from the Dallas Antenna Farm. A preamp from that location is going to have problems.

Tom
post #9634 of 9641 Old Yesterday, 02:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Yea forgot about Mt. Holly being near Dallas. That could very well create overload problem. However there are tricks with filters and attenuators that can be utilized, but you have to be very precise and know what you are doing there.
A pre-amp such as the type you suggest does not improve reception. If the signal isn't there, an amp won't put it there. You can only improve reception by acquiring the right antenna to receive the signal. You should attempt to do everything you can to not use an amp as, as pointed out by the previous posters, they cause other problems. Plus it's another point of failure and additional cost.
post #9635 of 9641 Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

The correct antenna is very important, but you may need an amp if you have multiple splits or long cable runs in order to get the weaker signals from the antenna to the TV. But the problem is the stronger signals can cause overload and interference. So dealing with a mix of strong and weak signals can be problematic if not managed correctly. That is where fine tuning comes in, and possible use of attenuators and filters. I do not need an amp to receive GSP channels and WBTV, which are strong. But some of the other Charlotte signals and WLOS do require an amp, and overload seems to cause interference with 13 unless strategically managed.
post #9636 of 9641 Old Yesterday, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
The correct antenna is very important, but you may need an amp if you have multiple splits or long cable runs in order to get the weaker signals from the antenna to the TV. But the problem is the stronger signals can cause overload and interference. So dealing with a mix of strong and weak signals can be problematic if not managed correctly. That is where fine tuning comes in, and possible use of attenuators and filters. I do not need an amp to receive GSP channels and WBTV, which are strong. But some of the other Charlotte signals and WLOS do require an amp, and overload seems to cause interference with 13 unless strategically managed.
At your location a amp would be the last thing I would do.
A "FM" trap would be a good thing 3 100KW FM's at the Dallas site, and 2 more FM's at the Alexis site just down from you. Also no VHF antenna. I would keep just a UHF with where you are. Remember the VHF does real good on FM.

Tom
post #9637 of 9641 Old Today, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Seeking opinions of video quality on WSOC (9.1 & 9.2) and WAXN (64.1, 64.2 & 64.3). We have made some changes. Better? Worst? Same?

Thanks in advance.

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

post #9638 of 9641 Old Today, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo1080 View Post
Seeking opinions of video quality on WSOC (9.1 & 9.2) and WAXN (64.1, 64.2 & 64.3). We have made some changes. Better? Worst? Same?

Thanks in advance.
I am in the minority here on the forum, for this question. I liked the16x9 image box in the middle of the screen, so I could stretch it as needed, and see the whole 16x9 picture for a movie, since every theatre movie going back through 1953 has been filmed in widescreen. The ones before that were filmed in 4x3.

That said, the picture is indeed clearer now on all of your subchannels. But for me personally a clearer picture that is 4x3 limited is not better than a 16x9 view that may be somewhat less clear.

But the above is likely beyond your control, because I know you broadcast it as you receive it. Yet the clearer picture seemed to coincide with the change back to 4x3.
post #9639 of 9641 Old Today, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla_engineer View Post
At your location a amp would be the last thing I would do.
A "FM" trap would be a good thing 3 100KW FM's at the Dallas site, and 2 more FM's at the Alexis site just down from you. Also no VHF antenna. I would keep just a UHF with where you are. Remember the VHF does real good on FM.
You are correct about the FM trap. It is necessary to prevent pixelation and dropouts on 13-WLOS. And I can actually receive 7, 9(29) and 13 with a UHF antenna, but there are problems with 13 when the UHF antenna is pointed towards Charlotte, so I add rabbit ears with a UVSJ from Radioshack. Before the preamp. And with the rabbit ears I also get Charlotte FM radio from Dallas, including the HD versions. But when I add the rabbit ears, I no longer hang on to the WSOC translator from Crowder's Mtn. which is a weaker signal. So I now have a separate UHF antenna on 1 TV to get 9.5, and I still have to use a UVSJ to block FM and weaken RF7 and RF9(29) in order to receive 9.5. I sacrifice 13 on this one TV. Despite the UVSJ, WSPA and SCETV still come through.
post #9640 of 9641 Old Today, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Update for antenna viewers west of Charlotte. Cozi TV is now airing on WHNS 21.2. The weather radar is now gone, and 21.3 is dark for now. You may be able to get 21 in Burke, Cleveland, Catawba, and possibly part of Gaston County. Not sure but some may want to check it out.
post #9641 of 9641 Unread Today, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo1080 View Post
Zero chance of AccuWX staying on 9.2. AccuWX is only on 3 or 4 station across the country. AccuWX wants to end their .2 on air feature and do forecasting and cable only. Thank you for the kind words but there is no way it will come back.
@Theo:

I know that AccuWeather has their original OTA product that has the
national feed OCM style product (which they are doing away with, but are you familiar with their OTA custom product like the one found on WFMZ TV 69, it is
driven with an AccuWeather engine but uses NO OCM national feed loops, here in a sample ......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page