Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 325 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 123Likes
post #9721 of 9750 Unread 04-16-2015, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
The original Channel Master 7000PAL DVR was an excellent unit, with a solid, stable tuner that adeptly handled both strong and weak signals. It is the same model as the DTV Pal DVR from Dish Network, and was manufactured by Echostar. It originally used TVGOS on screen info , but that was discontinued. But the unit still worked with the PSIP data.
100% true. Mine is over four years old, and reboots more often now, but otherwise performs excellently. My practice (people can debate whether it's good or bad) is to unplug the unit for most of the day on Saturday and again on Sunday. I figure on the days when I will not record anything, giving the hard drive a rest may extend the life somewhat. But since some people believe it's never good to power down your PC, people would disagree on whether that's good. (My Mom has an ancient XP computer that she only turns on to print something, because she can do everything else on her IPAD. Other than needing to copy Word documents to text so she can print them (Word won't open any more) her set-up still works fine.)

PS: Whatever funky was happening on Monday and early Tuesday with the OTA date and time in the broadcast signal, has apparently cleared up. I will probably blame the LAFF conversion because of the timing (but I'll be sure and "laugh" when I say it, since I really don't know... )

The good news is that I will run my CM 7000PAL DVR until it will no longer run, because it's functionality literally no longer exists. There is nothing else that has HDMI, Component, and Composite, and I use them all to feed the entire house (I have so much coaxial under my house, the man who installed the furnace came out from the crawlspace literally angry at me. )

Last edited by OTA-DVR-guy; 04-16-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9722 of 9750 Unread 04-16-2015, 07:57 AM
A J

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
I like the Tivo's the best, tho I think their value of monthly guide data is severely misplaced.
TiVo's guide date is especially onerous if you get the OTA model. You are forced to pay the max $14.95/mo for guide data for a handful of local channels. The OTA model has no options for yearly ($30 less per year) or lifetime subscriptions (big savings long term) offered on other model TiVos and those guides can consist of hundreds and hundreds of cable channels.

My CM-7000PAL is struggling a bit, but still hanging in there. It's tuners get stronger signal strength on Charlotte stations than either of my Samsung TVs. If/when it dies and I'm forced to switch to TiVo, or something else, I hope the tuners on the new DVR will suffice with my current antenna setup.
post #9723 of 9750 Unread 04-16-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
TiVo's guide date is especially onerous if you get the OTA model. You are forced to pay the max $14.95/mo for guide data for a handful of local channels. The OTA model has no options for yearly ($30 less per year) or lifetime subscriptions (big savings long term) offered on other model TiVos and those guides can consist of hundreds and hundreds of cable channels.

My CM-7000PAL is struggling a bit, but still hanging in there. It's tuners get stronger signal strength on Charlotte stations than either of my Samsung TVs. If/when it dies and I'm forced to switch to TiVo, or something else, I hope the tuners on the new DVR will suffice with my current antenna setup.
When mine dies, if there are no repair options, I will have to go with the new CM model, which means one TV at a time using the one HDMI connection, unless I spend more money on a splitter or something to downgrade the signal to analog for secondary connections.

My onscreen guide still works pretty well even over the air, but often I do get "NO INFORMATION" for program description, when it retrieves only the program name. On other days, it will show the episode description just fine, on the same program and same channel that didn't show it the day before...

I hope that box works for years to come. The moral of this story is, if there is technology you like in something you buy, consider purchasing a second one, because if the majority doesn't use it or it becomes "outdated", the manufacturers will sure get rid of it, to cut costs.
post #9724 of 9750 Unread 04-16-2015, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
The moral of this story is, if there is technology you like in something you buy, consider purchasing a second one, because if the majority doesn't use it or it becomes "outdated", the manufacturers will sure get rid of it, to cut costs.
Yea, good advice..I did that with a Panasonic cordless phone I really like..a complete spare in the
closet.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #9725 of 9750 Unread 04-16-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
TiVo's guide date is especially onerous if you get the OTA model. You are forced to pay the max $14.95/mo for guide data for a handful of local channels.
But it's also a $49 box. You are also subsidizing the cost of the equipment. If you tried to match the Tivo's abilities with a PC, the hardware would cost you several hundred dollars and you would still need to find a remote to work with it. It's not cheap to build a PC that can drive a HD 16:9 display with say 1080i content and hold large amounts of storage all while being silent, low power, and small.

Still over time, they come out ahead, but it does work and works well. Practically every other DVR out there has issues, requires you to support other equipment to make it work, and some have gone out of business leaving you with a brick.

Last edited by blackcat6; 04-16-2015 at 11:25 AM.
post #9726 of 9750 Unread 04-17-2015, 05:16 AM

Hey Bob, based on your signature, are we to assume that the views you express here DO represent those of QVC (since that is left out of the list)?
post #9727 of 9750 Unread 04-17-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Can you say mer·ce·nar·y with me boys and girls?

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #9728 of 9750 Unread 04-17-2015, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Simply an observation, which reflects only on me: I have tried viewing the LAFF Channel. I cannot determine what "LAFF:" means.
post #9729 of 9750 Unread 04-17-2015, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by difuse View Post
Simply an observation, which reflects only on me: I have tried viewing the LAFF Channel. I cannot determine what "LAFF:" means.
Oooh. That's cold.

I took a look at the programming listings, and I'm a bit bummed that "Night Court" is not on the schedule yet.
post #9730 of 9750 Unread 04-17-2015, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 89
hey, that ain't funny!
post #9731 of 9750 Unread 04-17-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
But it's also a $49 box. You are also subsidizing the cost of the equipment. If you tried to match the Tivo's abilities with a PC, the hardware would cost you several hundred dollars and you would still need to find a remote to work with it. It's not cheap to build a PC that can drive a HD 16:9 display with say 1080i content and hold large amounts of storage all while being silent, low power, and small.

Still over time, they come out ahead, but it does work and works well. Practically every other DVR out there has issues, requires you to support other equipment to make it work, and some have gone out of business leaving you with a brick.
A lot of people just want to be able to time shift programming and view it within a day or two.
If some of the new "linear" streaming services lack DVR-like capabilities but do allow the viewer to watch the program via on-demand within a couple of days of the original airing, that might satisfy some potential customers.

For how long a period do viewers "count" in the Nielsen ratings?
Is it now Live plus seven days?
post #9732 of 9750 Unread 04-18-2015, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
A lot of people just want to be able to time shift programming and view it within a day or two.
And the Tivo allows one to do that well, without any headaches.
post #9733 of 9750 Unread 04-18-2015, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 118
55 simulcast is back on 46.3. I guess they plan on keeping it.
post #9734 of 9750 Unread 04-19-2015, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Why does 46.3 have a border at 16.9 and 55.1 does not?
post #9735 of 9750 Unread 04-19-2015, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by realoldman View Post
Why does 46.3 have a border at 16.9 and 55.1 does not?
They could be provide it at 4x3
post #9736 of 9750 Unread 04-20-2015, 04:33 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok, I am moving in about a month and I would like to have a slightly different antenna setup at my new home. I have already run a TV fool report, but has anyone had any experience with a signal meter such as this:

https://www.antennasdirect.com/store...nal-Meter.html

I would love to have a beefier signal meter - one that deciphers the strength of specific channels, but those are way above my pay grade.

I also have DISH network, and would like to use a sat diplexer - so that sat and OTA can share the same cable. I would love to do this to eliminate the number of cables entering the home, however I will NOT if it means any kind of degradation of OTA signal.

Finally, I would like to eliminate my antenna rotator by installing a second antenna and using a joiner/couple such as this:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...u=615798100285

I welcome your feedback, especially from the engineers here. I would love to implement any or all of the above, but again I will not proceed with any or all if it means I will be sacrificing OTA signal.

Thanks!

Eric

Eric Calhoun

"If it was simple, anyone could do it" - Roy Clark from Hee Haw
post #9737 of 9750 Unread 04-20-2015, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

^^Since you are near Morganton, I guess you need a Charlotte antenna and a Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville antenna. For Charlotte, perhaps a good UHF such as DB8e or 91XG. As you are probably too far to worry about WTVI. For GSP/AVL, then a HiVHF/UHF combo antenna such as Antennacraft HBU55 or Winegard 7698. And possibly an amp if needed. But I wonder if that Winegard signal joiner works better than a reverse splitter. Because joining 2 antennas can be problematic as they may counteract each other.
post #9738 of 9750 Unread 04-22-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
I knew before they went on the air that it would not be a channel that I would watch much. I don't care about a bunch of 90's sitcoms, and "My Mom's Boyfriend" over and over.

But one rare positive note is that they did run the original Absent-minded Professor and Son of Flubber this past Saturday afternoon. If they continue to pull in some classic comedies ("Some Like It Hot" would be great!), I will tune in occasionally.
post #9739 of 9750 Unread 04-22-2015, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I knew before they went on the air that it would not be a channel that I would watch much. I don't care about a bunch of 90's sitcoms, and "My Mom's Boyfriend" over and over.

But one rare positive note is that they did run the original Absent-minded Professor and Son of Flubber this past Saturday afternoon. If they continue to pull in some classic comedies ("Some Like It Hot" would be great!), I will tune in occasionally.
I hope those who enjoy such programming watch. For me, there is something terribly unfunny about these programs .I love "Burns and Allen" and "The Big Bang Theory", sort of TV book ends. But there was a lot in between I never understood.
post #9740 of 9750 Unread 04-22-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
I love "Burns and Allen" and "The Big Bang Theory".
I agree on both counts. We have Burns and Allen on AntennaTV, and it is uniquely funny. You can see female characters in sitcoms from the 60s forward who tried so hard to be Gracie, but there was only one. And those who wrote her dialogue was nothing short of genius-level.

As to The Big Bang Theory, I mostly just like looking at the blonde
post #9741 of 9750 Unread 04-23-2015, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

They have change WSOC translator from 9.5 to 9.9. And 64.5 is now 64.9. But same program and still RF30. And they appear to have added program info which is nice.
post #9742 of 9750 Unread 04-24-2015, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I turned to WCCB this morning on Charter and the HD feed wasn't working at all, but then it tuned to the SD feed and I found this:

Both feeds have since been restored, but I never thought I would see WGHP here again after it was dropped almost 20 years ago!
ejb1980 likes this.

Last edited by mcy919; 04-24-2015 at 11:46 AM.
post #9743 of 9750 Unread 04-24-2015, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcy919 View Post
So I turned to WCCB this morning on Charter and the HD feed wasn't working at all, but then it tuned to the SD feed and I found this:

Both feeds have since been restored, but I never thought I would see WGHP here again after it was dropped almost 20 years ago!
What did you think of it? And which Charter system was this?

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #9744 of 9750 Unread 04-24-2015, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
What did you think of it? And which Charter system was this?
It was on Charter in Boone and I was very happy to see it again. Back when it was still High Country Cable they dropped it in 1995 not long after you guys switched to Fox. I was only a kid but I still wasn't happy about it, especially since they replaced it with HSN for a while!
post #9745 of 9750 Unread 04-24-2015, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
They have change WSOC translator from 9.5 to 9.9. And 64.5 is now 64.9. But same program and still RF30. And they appear to have added program info which is nice.
Corrected back to 9.5 and 64.5 again. But glad they add PSIP program info.
post #9746 of 9750 Unread 04-25-2015, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Great deal on this. It's a very good antenna for a lot of the CLT area.

http://www.radioshack.com/antennacraft-hbu33-high-vhf-uhf-antenna/1500289.html
post #9747 of 9750 Unread Yesterday, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
Great deal on this. It's a very good antenna for a lot of the CLT area.

http://www.radioshack.com/antennacraft-hbu33-high-vhf-uhf-antenna/1500289.html
It is also a good antenna for regions to the west of Charlotte, as it is optimized for High VHF and UHF. West of Gastonia, you may receive WSPA-RF7, WLOS-RF13, and SCETV-RF9. As well as possibly WYCW-62, WYFF-4, or WHNS-21. And it is suitable for Charlotte signals which are primarily UHF, but should also receive WTVI-RF11. Great price if you can locate a Radioshack store still in stock. The store availability on the website gives unconfirmed or conflicting inventory listings when you enter various zip codes. But worth checking out if you need an antenna. Much better than a $60 Mohu from Walmart.
post #9748 of 9750 Unread Yesterday, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Regretably Antennacraft has ceased manufacturing as a result of the Radioshack bankruptcy. So all existing inventory is now being sold off by Radioshack and various vendors. So look for clearance deals while still available. I purchased the last HBU33 earlier today at a remaining Radioshack in Greer, SC, which has already been rebranded with Sprint products. And they had no more outside antennas available. So it is unclear if Radioshack will even continue to sell TV antennas going forward. And the end of Antennacraft leaves only Winegard and Digitenna with a US manufacturing facility, as Channel Master and Antennas Direct products are made overseas. Channel Master antennas used to be made in Smithfield, NC before being contracted to China.
post #9749 of 9750 Unread Yesterday, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I agree on both counts. We have Burns and Allen on AntennaTV, and it is uniquely funny. You can see female characters in sitcoms from the 60s forward who tried so hard to be Gracie, but there was only one. And those who wrote her dialogue was nothing short of genius-level.
When Gracie was at the pet store, the clerk asked her whether the new puppy had any bones.
You can probably imagine Gracie's response.
post #9750 of 9750 Unread Today, 07:41 AM

My signal strength on WCCB has dropped precipitously over the past week. It previously stayed around 100%. Now it hovers around 80% and fluctuates down into the 50s at times, so I get some pixulation and drop-outs which was previously unheard of. Has anyone noticed this, or has Bob mentioned any chances that may have caused this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception