Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 326 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 123Likes

post #9751 of 9772 Old 04-27-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 118
WMYT Channel 55 is apparently off the air as they upgrade their antenna. They hope to be back on the air Tuesday afternoon and hopefully their signal will be improved, although I think they will remain at a lower power level. But I always got a strong signal from 55 despite the lower power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9752 of 9772 Old 04-27-2015, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Spoke with WJZY/WMYT receptionist. They are definitely replacing the transmit antenna for Channel 55. Don't know if it will be positioned differently on the tower, but I guess it will still be side mounted. The old 46 analog antenna is still on top I think. Perhaps it will have a better pattern to reach problem areas around Hickory where there is interference from WHKY. Although 55 has a permit for a low power translator on Smith Mtn. to reach Catawba County. The new antenna should be up tomorrow afternoon. But meanwhile they still have 55 simulcast on 46.3.
post #9753 of 9772 Old 04-27-2015, 08:08 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Spoke with WJZY/WMYT receptionist. They are definitely replacing the transmit antenna for Channel 55. Don't know if it will be positioned differently on the tower, but I guess it will still be side mounted. The old 46 analog antenna is still on top I think. Perhaps it will have a better pattern to reach problem areas around Hickory where there is interference from WHKY. Although 55 has a permit for a low power translator on Smith Mtn. to reach Catawba County. The new antenna should be up tomorrow afternoon. But meanwhile they still have 55 simulcast on 46.3.
My guess would be, they are installing a new antenna that would be a antenna just like the one they have now.
It should be the same place on the tower, same gain, same pattern.
There is no construction permit, also there is a freeze on TV construction that changes coverage at this time.
Also the CP for Hickory is on Baker Mt, not Smith Mt.

Tom
post #9754 of 9772 Old 04-27-2015, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
WMYT has been operating under special temporary authority at reduced power due to failure of some critical parts. No construction permit is required for any work to restore the station to normal licensed operation.

Link to STA authorization (you may need to append ".pdf" to the file name if you choose to save it):
http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/pro...etter_id=56921

Last edited by blackcap93; 04-27-2015 at 10:01 PM.
post #9755 of 9772 Old 04-28-2015, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla_engineer View Post
My guess would be, they are installing a new antenna that would be a antenna just like the one they have now.
It should be the same place on the tower, same gain, same pattern.
There is no construction permit, also there is a freeze on TV construction that changes coverage at this time.
Also the CP for Hickory is on Baker Mt, not Smith Mt.
I can probably kiss WYFF reception good-bye!

Eric Calhoun

"If it was simple, anyone could do it" - Roy Clark from Hee Haw
post #9756 of 9772 Old 04-28-2015, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap93 View Post
WMYT has been operating under special temporary authority at reduced power due to failure of some critical parts. No construction permit is required for any work to restore the station to normal licensed operation.

Link to STA authorization (you may need to append ".pdf" to the file name if you choose to save it):
http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/pro...etter_id=56921
I was aware of the STA. That was my point. It has to be built back just like it was. No height change, no power change, no pattern change, no gain in coverage.

Tom
post #9757 of 9772 Old 04-28-2015, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I was aware of the STA. That was my point. It has to be built back just like it was. No height change, no power change, no pattern change, no gain in coverage.
55 is back and a strong signal. Which I always find interesting as they are 225 kw power compared to WJZY and WBTV at 1000kw power. And the signal strength is basically the same with much less power. At my receiving location. WBTV is always 10 bars, WJZY and WMYT drop to 7 or 9 during the day and back to 10 at night.
post #9758 of 9772 Old 04-28-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
55 is back and a strong signal. Which I always find interesting as they are 225 kw power compared to WJZY and WBTV at 1000kw power. And the signal strength is basically the same with much less power. At my receiving location. WBTV is always 10 bars, WJZY and WMYT drop to 7 or 9 during the day and back to 10 at night.
My guess is the your "Signal Meter" is reading more quality, not level.
Many of the ones I have looked at are that way. I have seen locations that lower signal levels did better, because of less reflections.(multipath)

Tom
post #9759 of 9772 Old 04-28-2015, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
My guess is the your "Signal Meter" is reading more quality, not level.
Many of the ones I have looked at are that way. I have seen locations that lower signal levels did better, because of less reflections.(multipath)
I notice WJZY's Sub channels is off only the .1 channel is on.
post #9760 of 9772 Old 04-28-2015, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
I notice WJZY's Sub channels is off only the .1 channel is on.
Rescan they are back now.
post #9761 of 9772 Old 04-28-2015, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Rescan they are back now.
ok
post #9762 of 9772 Old 04-30-2015, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
I'm not sure if this is a promo plan or not, but right now TiVo is selling their Roamio OTA DVR's for $299 WITH Lifetime service included.

This unit is antenna only, but has four tuners... and the service, which is a huge deal. If you have reliable internet TiVo is the way to go, hands down.

The deal only shows using this URL: https://www.tivo.com/TLP4
post #9763 of 9772 Old 05-01-2015, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
I'm not sure if this is a promo plan or not, but right now TiVo is selling their Roamio OTA DVR's for $299 WITH Lifetime service included.

This unit is antenna only, but has four tuners... and the service, which is a huge deal. If you have reliable internet TiVo is the way to go, hands down.

The deal only shows using this URL: https://www.tivo.com/TLP4
My Sharp 70" smart TV will optionally connect to the internet, and has many of those same applications installed, but the internet is not required - you can choose to not use the internet features, and only use the over-the-air features. Could this Tivo work that way? I read your link, but can't tell.
post #9764 of 9772 Old 05-01-2015, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
My Sharp 70" smart TV will optionally connect to the internet, and has many of those same applications installed, but the internet is not required - you can choose to not use the internet features, and only use the over-the-air features. Could this Tivo work that way? I read your link, but can't tell.
You can choose not use any of the apps, but the TiVo will need to download the guide data via an internet connection (but the newer Channel Master DVR does the same, unless you want to rely on the 24 hours or so of PSIP data. Several posts on TiVo community and TiVo forums reference people using hotspots. It isn't "recommended", but most say it works. You might want to search for some more definite threads there first. One that I found is here

This apparently is the best of many "test" offers TiVo is considering, or offering for the Roamio OTA model. A TiVo community poster uncovered the link. They apparently aren't public, and are just going out in e-mails or might become public later on. I did order one of these myself last night, and can confirm that it checks out at $299 and says that it includes lifetime service.

Since moving my Roamio basic to our bedroom and adding a CableCard I've found I occasionally missed being able to record something from the Charlotte OTA stations. I wasn't willing to buy a full blown second TiVo with Lifetime service, but this was reasonable enough to fit the bill.
post #9765 of 9772 Old 05-01-2015, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

That $299 promo is truly the best deal to date for an OTA DVR, especially a TiVo. The Channel Master DVR+ models are $249 and $399. So that TiVo deal is a happy medium worthy of consideration at this price point. Also, if you use a Gaffney zip code on the TiVo, you will get guide data for both Charlotte and Greenville-Spartanburg-Asheville markets, although Gaffney is officially GSP market. Which is good that TiVo goes by reception availability rather than DMA boundaries.
post #9766 of 9772 Old 05-04-2015, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Indeed. IMO, it's the best DVR out there. It's completely plug & play, with a well thought out universal remote control with real buttons (don't underestimate the importance of this) and excellent interface. And if you are willing to spend more, you can expand the storage and turn it into a whole house DVR.
post #9767 of 9772 Old Today, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy Issues with WBTV and WCNC

Sometime last week or so, Jeopardy! stopped recording

We've had a similar issue with WCNC before where we get the "no signal for this channel" error from WMC. I figured it would clear up in a week or so like it had before. So far, no luck.

Last night, we noticed that we had also lost WBTV (might have lost it even late last week, not sure).

Anyone know what is going on here? I thought it might be a WMC problem (I run WMC on a Vista PC....I know, laugh all you want), so I downloaded and set up NextPVR so that I can run Kodi on top of it (this was a long-term plan anyway as I'll eventually ditch Vista for a Linux distribution).

I haven't interfaced Kodi with NextPVR yet (will probably do that tonight), but even just in NextPVR, I can get all my other channels (including a bunch that WMC never found), but WBTV isn't showing up at all, and WCNC shows up but isn't giving me anything.

Any ideas? I've emailed the WCNC engineering folks and WBTV station management, and will let you guys know what I hear.
post #9768 of 9772 Old Today, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny van der Hoeven View Post
Sometime last week or so, Jeopardy! stopped recording

We've had a similar issue with WCNC before where we get the "no signal for this channel" error from WMC. I figured it would clear up in a week or so like it had before. So far, no luck.

Last night, we noticed that we had also lost WBTV (might have lost it even late last week, not sure).

Anyone know what is going on here? I thought it might be a WMC problem (I run WMC on a Vista PC....I know, laugh all you want), so I downloaded and set up NextPVR so that I can run Kodi on top of it (this was a long-term plan anyway as I'll eventually ditch Vista for a Linux distribution).

I haven't interfaced Kodi with NextPVR yet (will probably do that tonight), but even just in NextPVR, I can get all my other channels (including a bunch that WMC never found), but WBTV isn't showing up at all, and WCNC shows up but isn't giving me anything.

Any ideas? I've emailed the WCNC engineering folks and WBTV station management, and will let you guys know what I hear.
Heard back from WCNC engineering team- they advised I re-scan (already done) and confirmed that they haven't made any changes that would effect PC TV tuners. Would love to hear from some of you guys with far more expertise than I have.
post #9769 of 9772 Old Today, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WJZY has apparently dropped the WMYT simulcast on 46-3. I still hope they put Buzzr TV on there when it launches, even though a couple of sites claim it will be on 55-2.
post #9770 of 9772 Old Today, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcy919 View Post
WJZY has apparently dropped the WMYT simulcast on 46-3. I still hope they put Buzzr TV on there when it launches, even though a couple of sites claim it will be on 55-2.
I Notice that Last night that 46.3 was drop and look like their PSIP Guide data was off Last night it had DTV Programing as the Tittle
post #9771 of 9772 Old Today, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcy919 View Post
I think the 55 simulcast on 46.3 was only temporary while 55 was at reduced power.
post #9772 of 9772 Old Today, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny van der Hoeven View Post
Heard back from WCNC engineering team- they advised I re-scan (already done) and confirmed that they haven't made any changes that would effect PC TV tuners. Would love to hear from some of you guys with far more expertise than I have.
I'm using MythTV and it's working fine with all the Charlotte channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page