Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 327 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 123Likes

post #9781 of 9789 Old 05-18-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
Almost All Cable companies is switching to ALL Digitals and turn off the old Analog system Charter they just went Digital about 2 yrs ago and now all Charter cable customers have to have a cable box to watch cable channels. you get better picture.

see http://www.newsobserver.com/entertai...e16599806.html
You can still connect your antenna to the back of the TV to receive your local/regional channels, and connect your cable box with the HDMI or Component connection. Best of both worlds. You will have backup if cable go out and get more out of market channels not carried on cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9782 of 9789 Old 05-18-2015, 09:40 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
Almost All Cable companies is switching to ALL Digitals and turn off the old Analog system Charter they just went Digital about 2 yrs ago and now all Charter cable customers have to have a cable box to watch cable channels. you get better picture.

see http://www.newsobserver.com/entertai...e16599806.html
Yes, TWC digital content looked much better with their adapter than viewing analog signals on the old CRT - but not any better than my flat screen Samsung.

I may let the deadline pass (June 2nd, I believe), and see what happens. I despise having to pay an eventually-to-be-charged rental fee for broadcast channels and a few cable-only channels.
post #9783 of 9789 Old 05-18-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
You can still connect your antenna to the back of the TV to receive your local/regional channels, and connect your cable box with the HDMI or Component connection. Best of both worlds. You will have backup if cable go out and get more out of market channels not carried on cable.

I've got to get that outdoor antenna installed, but the economy hasn't been that great around here of late, so I have had to put things off for now. Not to mention that I am not too keen attaching a mast to the gable of a second-story dormer in my later years.
post #9784 of 9789 Old Yesterday, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Getting rid of Satellite or Cable was the best for us... we saved $1200 a year and now take a vacation once a year with that money. Four years, don't miss a thing using the antenna...
post #9785 of 9789 Old Yesterday, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbee View Post
Getting rid of Satellite or Cable was the best for us... we saved $1200 a year and now take a vacation once a year with that money. Four years, don't miss a thing using the antenna...
Yes indeed. I just realized this past April we began our 4th year of having cut the cord and haven't missed it at all. And the $4719 not sent to Dish Network has been a very nice bonus.
post #9786 of 9789 Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM

Even though our current cable bill is only 22.00 per month, that represents an increase of 113% over the past eight years.

Not sure what TWC has in mind, but their policies are causing their customers to flee. Wonder if they have their sights set on internet subscriptions to make up for the loss of cable TV customers? They are offering a 14.95 internet plan, are there any strings attached to a plan priced so low?
post #9787 of 9789 Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4:3 Toshiba View Post
Even though our current cable bill is only 22.00 per month, that represents an increase of 113% over the past eight years.

Not sure what TWC has in mind, but their policies are causing their customers to flee. Wonder if they have their sights set on internet subscriptions to make up for the loss of cable TV customers? They are offering a 14.95 internet plan, are there any strings attached to a plan priced so low?
I think that $14.95 plan is for a rather low-speed service, probably not even as fast as the phone company's DSL service.
post #9788 of 9789 Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
I think that $14.95 plan is for a rather low-speed service, probably not even as fast as the phone company's DSL service.

While repairing my brother's laptops, he let me sign-in to his Netflix account with my current DSL speed of 1.5Mps, and most of the content looked surprisingly good. My current AT&T plan is only good for 1.5Mbps, but the TWC plan is good for up to 2.0Mbps.

My concern is...

a) Is there a data cap on the TWC plan?
b) Can I expect at *least* 1.5Mbps download speed all the time?

My understanding about TWC's internet is that in reality, all it is, is a great big LAN, and the more people on the LAN, the slower the overall download speeds will become. My brother has their fastest speed tier, and even he says that his download speeds drop during times of peak use. I've had no such variations with DSL to speak of.

My biggest gripe with DSL is disconnects in spite of three visits by tech support.

Getting back to TWC, I could call their sales reps about my concerns, but I think they are more concerned with making a sale than telling the truth.

Last edited by 4:3 Toshiba; Yesterday at 05:55 PM.
post #9789 of 9789 Old Today, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 59
TWC does not have caps in Charlotte area.

I've never seen any variation in TWC's speeds. Some of this will depend upon exactly where you live in the city. Keep in mind the speed you are paying for is the connection speed between you and TWC's network. It does not mean that your connection to any particular website or service will be that fast.

BTW, if you read AT&T's fine print, I believe that you will find they only guarantee 1/2 of the speed you are paying for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page