Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 327 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 123Likes

post #9781 of 9804 Old 05-18-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
Almost All Cable companies is switching to ALL Digitals and turn off the old Analog system Charter they just went Digital about 2 yrs ago and now all Charter cable customers have to have a cable box to watch cable channels. you get better picture.

see http://www.newsobserver.com/entertai...e16599806.html
You can still connect your antenna to the back of the TV to receive your local/regional channels, and connect your cable box with the HDMI or Component connection. Best of both worlds. You will have backup if cable go out and get more out of market channels not carried on cable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9782 of 9804 Old 05-18-2015, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Almost All Cable companies is switching to ALL Digitals and turn off the old Analog system Charter they just went Digital about 2 yrs ago and now all Charter cable customers have to have a cable box to watch cable channels. you get better picture.

see http://www.newsobserver.com/entertai...e16599806.html
Yes, TWC digital content looked much better with their adapter than viewing analog signals on the old CRT - but not any better than my flat screen Samsung.

I may let the deadline pass (June 2nd, I believe), and see what happens. I despise having to pay an eventually-to-be-charged rental fee for broadcast channels and a few cable-only channels.
post #9783 of 9804 Old 05-18-2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
You can still connect your antenna to the back of the TV to receive your local/regional channels, and connect your cable box with the HDMI or Component connection. Best of both worlds. You will have backup if cable go out and get more out of market channels not carried on cable.

I've got to get that outdoor antenna installed, but the economy hasn't been that great around here of late, so I have had to put things off for now. Not to mention that I am not too keen attaching a mast to the gable of a second-story dormer in my later years.
post #9784 of 9804 Old 05-20-2015, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Getting rid of Satellite or Cable was the best for us... we saved $1200 a year and now take a vacation once a year with that money. Four years, don't miss a thing using the antenna...
post #9785 of 9804 Old 05-20-2015, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbee View Post
Getting rid of Satellite or Cable was the best for us... we saved $1200 a year and now take a vacation once a year with that money. Four years, don't miss a thing using the antenna...
Yes indeed. I just realized this past April we began our 4th year of having cut the cord and haven't missed it at all. And the $4719 not sent to Dish Network has been a very nice bonus.
post #9786 of 9804 Old 05-20-2015, 09:00 AM

Even though our current cable bill is only 22.00 per month, that represents an increase of 113% over the past eight years.

Not sure what TWC has in mind, but their policies are causing their customers to flee. Wonder if they have their sights set on internet subscriptions to make up for the loss of cable TV customers? They are offering a 14.95 internet plan, are there any strings attached to a plan priced so low?
post #9787 of 9804 Old 05-20-2015, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4:3 Toshiba View Post
Even though our current cable bill is only 22.00 per month, that represents an increase of 113% over the past eight years.

Not sure what TWC has in mind, but their policies are causing their customers to flee. Wonder if they have their sights set on internet subscriptions to make up for the loss of cable TV customers? They are offering a 14.95 internet plan, are there any strings attached to a plan priced so low?
I think that $14.95 plan is for a rather low-speed service, probably not even as fast as the phone company's DSL service.
post #9788 of 9804 Old 05-20-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
I think that $14.95 plan is for a rather low-speed service, probably not even as fast as the phone company's DSL service.

While repairing my brother's laptops, he let me sign-in to his Netflix account with my current DSL speed of 1.5Mps, and most of the content looked surprisingly good. My current AT&T plan is only good for 1.5Mbps, but the TWC plan is good for up to 2.0Mbps.

My concern is...

a) Is there a data cap on the TWC plan?
b) Can I expect at *least* 1.5Mbps download speed all the time?

My understanding about TWC's internet is that in reality, all it is, is a great big LAN, and the more people on the LAN, the slower the overall download speeds will become. My brother has their fastest speed tier, and even he says that his download speeds drop during times of peak use. I've had no such variations with DSL to speak of.

My biggest gripe with DSL is disconnects in spite of three visits by tech support.

Getting back to TWC, I could call their sales reps about my concerns, but I think they are more concerned with making a sale than telling the truth.

Last edited by 4:3 Toshiba; 05-20-2015 at 05:55 PM.
post #9789 of 9804 Old 05-21-2015, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

TWC does not have caps in Charlotte area.

I've never seen any variation in TWC's speeds. Some of this will depend upon exactly where you live in the city. Keep in mind the speed you are paying for is the connection speed between you and TWC's network. It does not mean that your connection to any particular website or service will be that fast.

BTW, if you read AT&T's fine print, I believe that you will find they only guarantee 1/2 of the speed you are paying for.
post #9790 of 9804 Old 05-22-2015, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I don't know how I missed this last season, but the Charlotte Knights have a package of home games on local TV again this season. There were six games last year, and apparently will be 10 this year (but 4 have already passed).

Quote:
The Charlotte Knights and WMYT My12, unit of FOX Television Stations, have also agreed on a deal that will make WMYT My12 the television home of Charlotte Knights baseball for all 10 Saturday home games this season. Starting with the game on Saturday, April 11 against the Norfolk Tides (Triple-A affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles), FOX Television Stations will utilize the in-house HD quality video feed produced from BB&T Ballpark, along with the radio broadcast feed from the Charlotte Knights Radio Networ

The following games will air live on "My 12." Check with you cable or satellite company's listings for your local listing - - or watch over the air on channel 55.1. (Viewers experiencing difficulty viewing 55.1 over the air should try 46.3 for a redundant signal.)

Charlotte Knights' Saturday home games:
April 11: vs. Norfolk @ 7:05p
April 18: vs. Gwinnett @ 7:05p
May 2: vs. Scranton/WB @ 7:05p
May 16: vs. Syracuse @ 7:05p
May 30: vs. Lehigh Valley @ 7:05p
June 6: vs. Norfolk @ 7:05p
June 20: vs. Indianapolis @ 7:05p
July 18: vs. Norfolk @ 7:05p
August 8: vs. Rochester @ 7:05p
August 22: vs. Indianapolis @ 7:05p
It's great to see some LOCALLY produced programming on another station. Looking forward to UNCC Football again this fall on WCCB as well!
post #9791 of 9804 Old 05-22-2015, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I am not really a big sports fan, but it is indeed nice to see locally produced programming. Now if they would just put the Hornets back on WJZY. Or some other local station.
post #9792 of 9804 Old 05-22-2015, 07:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Antenna help in Matthews

Hey guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. I just recently moved from Ballantyne to Matthews, and while for the most part I'm closer to the towers, all the tall trees around the house seem to really put a crimp on my signal. I was using a Winegard freevision (from Home Depot) at the old house. I put the same thing up on the roof of the new house but am having some issues (mainly with Ch 30, 36 & 46). Looking at AntennaWeb it seems that the channels are all around 305 deg & 5 deg.

Is there another antenna that might do a better job? I don't think I can get the antenna above the tree line unfortunately. Thanks for any help you can provide!
post #9793 of 9804 Old 05-22-2015, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csphokie View Post
Hey guys. Long time lurker, first time poster. I just recently moved from Ballantyne to Matthews, and while for the most part I'm closer to the towers, all the tall trees around the house seem to really put a crimp on my signal. I was using a Winegard freevision (from Home Depot) at the old house. I put the same thing up on the roof of the new house but am having some issues (mainly with Ch 30, 36 & 46). Looking at AntennaWeb it seems that the channels are all around 305 deg & 5 deg.

Is there another antenna that might do a better job? I don't think I can get the antenna above the tree line unfortunately. Thanks for any help you can provide!
Perhaps HBU33 Antennacraft antenna they were on clearance at Radioshack if you can still find one. Good antenna for High VHF and UHF. Sometimes an amp may help with the more distant signals, but may not be recommended at your location. There is also a Clearstream 2V at Walmart or Clearstream 4V at Best Buy. They have decent gain and are a compact size, but more expensive.
post #9794 of 9804 Old 05-23-2015, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Perhaps HBU33 Antennacraft antenna they were on clearance at Radioshack if you can still find one. Good antenna for High VHF and UHF. Sometimes an amp may help with the more distant signals, but may not be recommended at your location. There is also a Clearstream 2V at Walmart or Clearstream 4V at Best Buy. They have decent gain and are a compact size, but more expensive.

I bought a ClearStream 4 at Best Buy back in 2011. It was mounted on the gable side of my attic (above my MBR) facing S to SW here in Winston. This antenna picks up all of the Triad stations plus most of the Charlotte stations (except PBS WTVI). Obviously, everyone's results will vary based on specific location. But in spite of the trees and any other obstacles, perhaps the OP in Matthews might want to consider this model. It is pricey at Best Buy but can be found for less money online.
post #9795 of 9804 Old 05-24-2015, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post
I bought a ClearStream 4 at Best Buy back in 2011. It was mounted on the gable side of my attic (above my MBR) facing S to SW here in Winston. This antenna picks up all of the Triad stations plus most of the Charlotte stations (except PBS WTVI). Obviously, everyone's results will vary based on specific location. But in spite of the trees and any other obstacles, perhaps the OP in Matthews might want to consider this model. It is pricey at Best Buy but can be found for less money online.
They now have the Clearstream 4V model which adds the VHF dipole, which should receive WTVI in Matthews. But you are correct, they are a bit pricey at Best Buy. And there is a cheaper version from Onebyone on Amazon. And good to hear your reception report from Winston again. Had not heard from you in a while.
post #9796 of 9804 Old 05-26-2015, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Charter, Time Warner Cable and Bright House agree to merge

Charter Communications has agreed to acquire Time Warner Cable for $45 billion ($195.71 per share in stock and/or cash, at individual shareholders' option), and the previously announced Charter-Bright House Networks deal has been amemded to give BHN owner Advance/Newhouse an ownership stake in the merged company.

The merger will make Charter the dominant cable provider in the Charlotte area.

TWC press release

Presentation PDF
post #9797 of 9804 Old 05-26-2015, 01:26 PM

Tried out the Clearstream 4v

Hey guys. Thanks for all the advice. I did end up picking up the Clearstream 4v and giving it a try. It may have been slightly better than the Winegard, but not much.

After doing MUCH testing and playing with different locations and amplifiers, I found that the main culprit was the length of the run. Shortening the run from about 175' down to about 90' made a decent difference. The Winegard Amp made a HUGE difference as well. Unfortunately I found that this amp didn't really play well w/ my Moca network I set up for my Tivo units.

If anyone knows anything about using an OTA amplifier with a MOCA adapter I'm all ears! Thanks again for your help!

Quote:
They now have the Clearstream 4V model which adds the VHF dipole, which should receive WTVI in Matthews. But you are correct, they are a bit pricey at Best Buy. And there is a cheaper version from Onebyone on Amazon. And good to hear your reception report from Winston again. Had not heard from you in a while.
post #9798 of 9804 Old 05-26-2015, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 88
there is a good thread for what you are trying to do over in the Networking,Media Servers and Content streaming section:
"sending ota thru moca" You may want to peruse there.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #9799 of 9804 Old 05-27-2015, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by csphokie View Post
Hey guys. Thanks for all the advice. I did end up picking up the Clearstream 4v and giving it a try. It may have been slightly better than the Winegard, but not much.

After doing MUCH testing and playing with different locations and amplifiers, I found that the main culprit was the length of the run. Shortening the run from about 175' down to about 90' made a decent difference. The Winegard Amp made a HUGE difference as well. Unfortunately I found that this amp didn't really play well w/ my Moca network I set up for my Tivo units.

If anyone knows anything about using an OTA amplifier with a MOCA adapter I'm all ears! Thanks again for your help!
The best amp in this situation is the one you install at the antenna and inject power at the house end... It amps up the signal as it comes down, not try to amp up whats left at the bottom...
post #9800 of 9804 Old 05-27-2015, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisbee View Post
The best amp in this situation is the one you install at the antenna and inject power at the house end... It amps up the signal as it comes down, not try to amp up whats left at the bottom...
That would use a preamp rather than distribution amp. They sell Winegard LNA200 preamp at Home Depot. But it depends upon signal strength at his location which is best. And you can order a Moca filter if that is applicable in his situation.
post #9801 of 9804 Old 06-01-2015, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 16
WMYT 55.2 is now up with BUZZer Game show channel.
post #9802 of 9804 Old 06-01-2015, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
WMYT 55.2 is now up with BUZZer Game show channel.

Somehow, I doubt the BUZZR network will attract much attention from the Millennials! But for us older folks, I think it can be kind of nostalgic to watch game shows from a simpler time (I grew up in the 70's). And while I don't see any guide information on TiVo for this channel; but maybe they'll get that soon.
post #9803 of 9804 Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM
A J

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post
I don't see any guide information on TiVo for this channel; but maybe they'll get that soon.
No PSIP guide yet, either.

I wonder if Buzzr will air The Gong Show. I used to get a kick outta them!
post #9804 of 9804 Old Today, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, there is no guide info so far from Gracenote either. Nice to see a new channel of any kind however.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception