Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 328 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 125Likes

post #9811 of 9833 Old 06-06-2015, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
I've been catching a bit of the old "Let's Make A Deal" at 8pm. It's so much better than the modern incarnation. Monty Hall had a talent for this that isn't matched by what they have now.

Second are the prices. Haha. Inflation since that show was on has been awful. I've tried to guess some of the prices for things, especially food, and I'm still way way too high. Brand new Pontiac Firebird, fully loaded, ~$4200.
That was back in 1963. Adjusting for inflation shows that $4,200 in 1963 dollars would have the same purchasing power as $32,500 in 2015 dollars. That sounds like an awful lot of inflation, but it's just a four percent annual rate compounded over 52 years. And a lot of that inflation occurred between the late 1960's and the early 1990's. The worst of the inflation was in the 1970's and early 1980's. Since the early 1990's inflation has been fairly low. Perhaps too low, considering that decent economic growth will produce at least some inflation. If prices rise too slowly, sometimes that's because people are not earning enough money to fuel a healthy level of economic growth. During the Great Depression, deflation was the big concern. Prices were going down too much and people were refusing to buy goods because they were waiting for more price decreases. Even the people who still had jobs and could afford to spend were holding onto their money out of fear or out of hope for further price cuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9812 of 9833 Old 06-06-2015, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Sorry to see that Gannett did not renew the contract of anchor Dave Wagner at WCNC. Appreciated his political reporting and Sunday Flashpoint show. But not surprised since they fired veteran anchors Gordon Peterson and Maureen Bunyan at WUSA in DC some years ago. They are more concerned about ratings rather than journalism. But I understand it is a business decision and WCNC remains in 3rd place.
I'm disappointed to hear that. I don't know of another local show that discusses the politics of the area in an un-biased manner.
post #9813 of 9833 Old 06-06-2015, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebmck View Post
I'm disappointed to hear that. I don't know of another local show that discusses the politics of the area in an un-biased manner.
I think for now the Flashpoint show may continue with a different host. But Dave Wagner had a good sense of local govt. and political issues, and he will be missed. He had interviewed most major lawmakers and politicians. But Gannett is changing personalities as a ratings strategy, although I don't necessarily agree with it.
post #9814 of 9833 Old 06-06-2015, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I will also miss Bob Scheiffer on Face the Nation. He is one of the last of the old school CBS correspondents, and they should have made him permanent anchor of the Evening News rather than always the fill in between Dan Rather and Katie Couric periods.
post #9815 of 9833 Old 06-07-2015, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I've been catching a bit of the old "Let's Make A Deal" at 8pm. It's so much better than the modern incarnation. Monty Hall had a talent for this that isn't matched by what they have now.

Second are the prices. Haha. Inflation since that show was on has been awful. I've tried to guess some of the prices for things, especially food, and I'm still way way too high. Brand new Pontiac Firebird, fully loaded, ~$4200.

Oh and yeah. It was made so far back, they would hand out the $1000 note as a prize. It hasn't been issued since 1969.
Yes the show is interesting as a time capsule.
The last 1000 Dollar notes, series 1934, haven't been printed since the end of World War 2. The government began withdrawing them from circulation n the Summer of 1969..
The episodes being shown now are from the ABC run, which began in 1968. Presumably, most of the earlier NBC shows are gone, the tapes recycled to cut costs. It might be interesting to see how far the current showings run, and if the large bills disappear.
post #9816 of 9833 Old 06-07-2015, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Yeah though those notes, even today are still legal tender. They could have used them for quite a while after 1969. (Though if you ever get a $1000 note, don't spend it for face value. They have significant numismatic value.)

Now that you mention it, I was a pretty young kid then, I vaguely remember LMD moving from NBC to ABC. My mom used to like to watch it.

It's also fascinating to see that everything was made by a real company in the USA instead of being just a "brand" now. It's indeed a nice time capsule of mid-century America.

Last edited by blackcat6; 06-07-2015 at 04:01 PM.
post #9817 of 9833 Old 06-07-2015, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 139
An article said that Buzzr showed the 1963 pilot episode of LMD, and it mentioned a Pontiac Tempest in that episode. But I see now that you mentioned a Firebird, not a Tempest in the later episode that you saw.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/t...ches/28175837/

Last edited by veedon; 06-07-2015 at 05:25 PM.
post #9818 of 9833 Old 06-13-2015, 03:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I notice that I've finally started to get 2 week program info for Buzzr via Gracenote (aka tribune).
post #9819 of 9833 Old 06-15-2015, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

The picture quality on both Escape & GritTV has been quite excellent. The issues with the wrong aspect ratio seem are a thing of the past now.
post #9820 of 9833 Old 06-15-2015, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I love the content of both Buzzr and The Justice Network. But the one thing they seem to have in common is that they got about 15 episodes of each series, so the recycling starts soon after the network premiere. That happened with the crime documentaries on EscapeTV. Let about three weeks pass, and it seems you are seeing the same ones you just saw. I "get" the above comment about recycling tapes, but Justice and Escape are showing series from well within the past decade (long after "the tape age" ended), so I'd be interested in their excuse for this.
post #9821 of 9833 Old 06-15-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Some of that old content is still interesting like Extreme Evidence on Justice. Disasters of the Century on RetroTV is another really old one, but the content is still interesting.
post #9822 of 9833 Old 06-16-2015, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Some of that old content is still interesting like Extreme Evidence on Justice. Disasters of the Century on RetroTV is another really old one, but the content is still interesting.
I love the old content. My favorate TV is the 50's through the 70's. The problem is that I wish they had more episodes. Much of what is on Justice today was on TruTV less than a decade ago. But I am reasonably certain they did not get the rights to many episodes, at least not yet, because even though Justice, Escape, and Buzzr haven't been on that long, they are already showing some of the same episodes they have already shown on Justice, Escape, and Buzzr.

MeTV goes through the entire nine-season Perry Mason series roughly once a year. That's how to do it - get the rights to an entire series - not just a handful of episodes run over and over.
post #9823 of 9833 Old 06-16-2015, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

MeTV does rotate in new shows a couple of times a year it seems. Man from Uncle, Black Sheep Squadron, Wonder Woman are a few examples. Looks like they now also have the 4th season of Voyage to Bottom of the Sea. Antenna TV is a lot worse about it. ThisTV only seems to have Sea Hunt and Highway patrol. RetroTV has been surprising this year with classic Dr. Who, and several other old obscure shows. Unfortunately it's hard to get this channel in most of Charlotte and only 2 stations, I think has it in NC.

All in all, there is now a lot to watch that is broadcast in Charlotte. I'm still convinced that in this era of cord cutting OTA TV has got a 2nd chance to be very relevant.

There are a lot of great old, but rarely seen old shows out there but I suppose the rights holders want an arm and a leg to license them for broadcast or streaming, but not DVD. One of the strategies that I have as a cord cutter for this kind of thing and since I have a HTPC is to keep a Netflix DVD subscription. It's cheap and they have almost everything ever broadcast available. I simply rip them, put them on the HTPC, and we watch whenever. Good for movies too.
post #9824 of 9833 Old 06-18-2015, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sorry to see that Gannett did not renew the contract of anchor Dave Wagner at WCNC. Appreciated his political reporting and Sunday Flashpoint show. But not surprised since they fired veteran anchors Gordon Peterson and Maureen Bunyan at WUSA in DC some years ago. They are more concerned about ratings rather than journalism. But I understand it is a business decision and WCNC remains in 3rd place.
They introduced their new male anchor this evening.
post #9825 of 9833 Old 06-18-2015, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
They introduced their new male anchor this evening.
Yes he came from WTVD in Raleigh and was reporting from Charleston. And I will say WCNC, WBTV, and WYFF all had good coverage of this sad story. But I think WBTV had the edge with the Shelby aspect of the story, thanks in part to the chopper coverage. For some reason Gannett apparently grounded their helicopter at WCNC. Probably a cost issue.
post #9826 of 9833 Old 06-18-2015, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes he came from WTVD in Raleigh and was reporting from Charleston. And I will say WCNC, WBTV, and WYFF all had good coverage of this sad story. But I think WBTV had the edge with the Shelby aspect of the story, thanks in part to the chopper coverage. For some reason Gannett apparently grounded their helicopter at WCNC. Probably a cost issue.
I caught the WSOC-TV Special Report this morning that began shortly after 11am. I did watch some of the early morning coverage from Charleston on CNN/FOX News this morning. It was interesting that at the initial midnight press conference CNN had crisp HD satellite video from the scene (WCBD), while Fox News was rebroadcasting another local that clearly was using one of the bonded cellular devices we talked about awhile back.

In situations like this I sometimes wish our local stations would rely on coverage from their sister stations in other markets around the state. The same media conglomerates own stations in virtually every market in S.C and some even share master control facilities. It should've been possible for at least ONE of our affiliates to pick up one of their local partners last night. I remember WYFF did this once actually... after Hurricane Katrina they simulcast a local affiliate owned by their company on one of their subchannels for a long time.
post #9827 of 9833 Old 06-23-2015, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post

MeTV goes through the entire nine-season Perry Mason series roughly once a year. That's how to do it - get the rights to an entire series - not just a handful of episodes run over and over.

If anyone is interested, the series starts over at the endof this week. On Thursday night at 11:30, the final episode in the series"The Case of the Final Fade-out" (May 22, 1966) will air, and then onFriday night, the first episode "The Case of the Restless Redhead"(Sept. 21, 1957) is on.

"The Case of the Final Fade-out" is interesting towatch. Perry Mason creator Earle Standley Gardner appears as the judge, andthere is at least one cameo featuring a stagehand at the studio (it will beobvious who it is, because it's clear the guy is not an actor.

I think it’s pretty interesting to watch how that series changed over nine years. By 1966, you are seeing 1964 mustangs and a lot of modern (for the period) clothing, along with a clearer presentation and production. When it started in1957, the actors are younger and thinner and the vehicles are ancient.

You can tell this week that they are in the last season, because Ray Collins (Lt. Tragg) was taken off theopening credits. He died of cancer just before the start of the last season, so they knew obviously he would not be back. He contracted cancer several seasons earlier, but Raymond Burr insisted he stay on the opening credits even though he had not appeared in years, because they always hoped he would be able to return.

Last edited by OTA-DVR-guy; 06-23-2015 at 05:24 AM.
post #9828 of 9833 Old 06-24-2015, 08:21 AM
A J

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Perfect timing for me: The summer sale at TiVo.com

I just ordered the TiVo Roamio OTA with lifetime service for $399.98 total, free shipping and no sales tax. When it arrives I will be able to finally retire my failing CM-7000PAL.
post #9829 of 9833 Old 06-25-2015, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
Perfect timing for me: The summer sale at TiVo.com

I just ordered the TiVo Roamio OTA with lifetime service for $399.98 total, free shipping and no sales tax. When it arrives I will be able to finally retire my failing CM-7000PAL.
Trust me you'll be very happy. I'm running two Roamios... one a basic model with Charter Cable Card and the second is an OTA model dedicated to the Charlotte affiliates in my living room. Both are connected to the internet via Ethernet, so the great thing is I can play programs between the two DVRs on both units.
post #9830 of 9833 Old Yesterday, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like Mama's Family will be coming to MeTV next year. (Jan)
post #9831 of 9833 Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Looks like Mama's Family will be coming to MeTV next year. (Jan)
Where did you see that? I hope it's true!
post #9832 of 9833 Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Here's a little history:

The Charlotte area was chosen by the Advisory Committee on Advanced Television Service as the test site for the VSB digital transmission methods that would be eventually be adopted in 1996 by the FCC as the digital OTA transmission standard. During the summer of 1994, the 8-VSB system was tested over the air and 16-VSB over cable. 8-VSB was adopted as the digital OTA transmission standard, but the cable industry chose 64-QAM (and eventually 256-QAM) for digital cable transmission.

http://www.ee-techs.com/atsc/8vsb-zenith.pdf
post #9833 of 9833 Old Today, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcap93 View Post
Here's a little history:

The Charlotte area was chosen by the Advisory Committee on Advanced Television Service as the test site for the VSB digital transmission methods that would be eventually be adopted in 1996 by the FCC as the digital OTA transmission standard. During the summer of 1994, the 8-VSB system was tested over the air and 16-VSB over cable. 8-VSB was adopted as the digital OTA transmission standard, but the cable industry chose 64-QAM (and eventually 256-QAM) for digital cable transmission.

http://www.ee-techs.com/atsc/8vsb-zenith.pdf

If I remember my history, (check me Bob or Ted) the test was done from the old channel 36 tower.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page