Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 329 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 127Likes
post #9841 of 9864 Old 06-30-2015, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
What were the cable companies in Mecklenburg and surrounding counties back in the early and mid '90s? i wasn't living in the area then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9842 of 9864 Old 07-01-2015, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Cablevision - Charlotte
Vision Cable - Mecklenburg County (~outside of CLT city limits around mid 80s)
Prestige Cable - Huntersville and points north to Mooresville.

I'm not sure if that is all. Seems to me there might have been another around the Meck/Union county border.
post #9843 of 9864 Old 07-01-2015, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
Cablevision - Charlotte
Vision Cable - Mecklenburg County (~outside of CLT city limits around mid 80s)
Prestige Cable - Huntersville and points north to Mooresville.

I'm not sure if that is all. Seems to me there might have been another around the Meck/Union county border.
Correct.

ATC (Cablevision) also had (most of) Union and Gaston counties.

Vision Cable had whatever was unincorporated Mecklenburg county as of '82. Much of this became annexed by Charlotte, so that's how Charlotte proper ended up with two franchises before the joint venture was formed in '94. Vision Cable also held the Matthews, Mint Hill and Pineville franchises in Mecklenburg county, as well as the Indian Trail, Stallings and Weddington franchises in Union county. They also served a tiny bit of South Carolina adjacent to Pineville as well.

The county franchise awarded to Vision Cable originally included the northern end of the county (surrounding, but not including incorporated Huntersville, Cornelius and Davidson). In 1982, this area did not meet the minimum home density requirements of either the franchise agreement or good business sense (certainly not the case now, 30+ years later). Eventually, Vision Cable transferred the rights to the north county areas to Prestige, which reached them out of their Iredell county facilities. After gaining the rights to the north county, I believe (not 100% sure) that Prestige applied for and received uncontested franchises for Huntersville, Cornelius and Davidson.

The entirety of Cleveland (Shelby), Cabarrus (Concord/Kannapolis), Rowan (Salisbury) and Stanly (Albemarle) counties were also Vision Cable's.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.3.1_6

Last edited by jcalabria; 07-01-2015 at 04:55 AM.
post #9844 of 9864 Old 07-01-2015, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If I remember correctly, Gaston County and Cleveland counties were serviced by Jones Intercable back in the 1980s.
post #9845 of 9864 Old 07-01-2015, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post
. After gaining the rights to the north county, I believe (not 100% sure) that Prestige applied for and received uncontested franchises for Huntersville, Cornelius and Davidson.
From what I understand, that was an earlier local company called Lakeside Cable. Prestige, which was based in GA (and had several systems there) later bought Lakeside. I think Lakeside/Prestige also had some of the communities on the west side of the Lake. Maybe Denver, Sherills Ford, etc.

I've heard horror stories about Lakeside including cable drops that were placed in the lake because it was easier than trenching.
post #9846 of 9864 Old 07-01-2015, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 122
And most of these Charlotte and surrounding counties will soon become Charter Cable if the Time Warner merger goes through. Except Rock Hill which may remain Comporium.
post #9847 of 9864 Old 07-01-2015, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

According to Observer, Natalie Pasquerella is leaving WSOC for WNBC-4 flagship station in NYC.
post #9848 of 9864 Old 07-01-2015, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
And most of these Charlotte and surrounding counties will soon become Charter Cable if the Time Warner merger goes through. Except Rock Hill which may remain Comporium.
With the exception of part of the Prestige/Adelphia that TWC didn't get. That will remain MI-Connection. (MI-Connection is a stupid name. They should have just called it Lake Norman Cable)

IMO, I think Davidson, Troutman, Cornelius & Mooresville ought to see if Google will take it off their hands.
post #9849 of 9864 Old 07-01-2015, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
MI-Connection, Comporium, and CoMPAS (Morganton city) won't be affected either way things go with the merger.
post #9850 of 9864 Old 07-01-2015, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
According to Observer, Natalie Pasquerella is leaving WSOC for WNBC-4 flagship station in NYC.
I believe she has already worked in NYC at TWC's NY1 news operation. Nice step up to the NBC flagship.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
TWC-Charlotte, 8640HDC/ODN 7.3.1_6
post #9851 of 9864 Old 07-01-2015, 10:11 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Tripp any comments on new repack software?
post #9852 of 9864 Old 07-01-2015, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexford View Post
Fox names VP and GM of WJZY and WMYT:

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/category/charlotte
Well no longer. Looks as if FOX is moving her out to do something with social media.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/fox-char...station/151198

The commenters on that article seem to take issue with the word promoted.
post #9853 of 9864 Old 07-01-2015, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW. At the bottom of this article are the local news ratings for the May sweeps.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/ent...e21389220.html

Aside from WJZY, WCNC has got to be hurting from those numbers at noon & 6pm. Fascinating that this seems to have carried over to NBC.
post #9854 of 9864 Old 07-02-2015, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
Well no longer. Looks as if FOX is moving her out to do something with social media.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/fox-char...station/151198

The commenters on that article seem to take issue with the word promoted.
Perhaps reassigned rather than "promoted." And I would guess FOX wants better ratings. Although I do think their news presentation at WJZY has significantly improved in the last 6 months, with a more standard format and a more similar look to the other FOX owned stations. Including FOX style graphics, and Charlotte focused branding rather than "Carolinas." Good move to avoid confusion with WHNS, which is FOX Carolina.
post #9855 of 9864 Old 07-05-2015, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 17
To add a little to the discussion of current rerunning of "Let's Make A Deal", Dick Cavett once made the claim that ABC had wiped his daytime show to use the tape for "LMAD". I suppose that is possible, even likely, given the time frame. It appears the episodes of "LMAD" now showing are from the syndicated version usually shown at night. What is certain is that Cavett learned something, and, paid ABC for the videotapes of his late night show, gaining ownership of them. That put him ahead of Johnny Carson in a way., as Carson lost almost all his "Tonights" until he became the producer several years later.
Here's something I think a little spooky::
I am ammazed at how well the digitizing went, given the format involved. NBC was recording the program as composite video with the color information at the top of the luminance , limiting the amount of usable picture geometry. On the smaller monitors, the lack of picture detail is not an issue, this looks really good; better than the Eisenhower and Fred Astaire tapes both recorded in the same way. There's no way to make this bet, but, I would bet that this clip looks better on our 'puters than it ever looked before, even on the studio monitors live. 57 years ago............
post #9856 of 9864 Old 07-05-2015, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
I just bought a new Channelmaster OTA-only DVR. Sorry to hear that others did not have a positive experience with it - mine is all good. It gets all 27 stations very well that are close in around Charlotte. I can rewind 2 hours of live TV, which is more than any other DVR I have owned (OTA or otherwise). The 16 GB of built-in memory filled up with 5 hours of SD and 1 hour of HD. I added a 2 TB external drive. Then it took 3.5 hours of HD and 1 hour of SD to get the percent full up to 1 percent. At that rate, I should be able to record 300-400 hours of HD or 1500-2000 hours of SD. I am very impressed with it thus far. My CM7000PAL still works, but I have the new one in a different room and plan to shift more of the work load to it.
post #9857 of 9864 Old 07-05-2015, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
I just bought a new Channelmaster OTA-only DVR. Sorry to hear that others did not have a positive experience with it - mine is all good. It gets all 27 stations very well that are close in around Charlotte. I can rewind 2 hours of live TV, which is more than any other DVR I have owned (OTA or otherwise). The 16 GB of built-in memory filled up with 5 hours of SD and 1 hour of HD. I added a 2 TB external drive. Then it took 3.5 hours of HD and 1 hour of SD to get the percent full up to 1 percent. At that rate, I should be able to record 300-400 hours of HD or 1500-2000 hours of SD. I am very impressed with it thus far. My CM7000PAL still works, but I have the new one in a different room and plan to shift more of the work load to it.
The Channel Master DVR+ has extensive channel guide listings when connected to the internet, including some internet streaming channels. And it has the network logos to correspond with the affiliated channels. As long as you have a decent antenna, it gets good reception. But its tuner is not very tolerant of multipath or error correction, so it will block marginal signals from decoding. So that is why some folks have problems with it, especially if you have an amp that overloads. But I think it was designed that way to avoid potentially flawed recordings. But overall it is a good product when you have a good antenna set up.
post #9858 of 9864 Old Yesterday, 04:38 AM

Quote:
The Channel Master DVR+ has extensive channel guide listings when connected to the internet, including some internet streaming channels. And it has the network logos to correspond with the affiliated channels. As long as you have a decent antenna, it gets good reception. But its tuner is not very tolerant of multipath or error correction, so it will block marginal signals from decoding. So that is why some folks have problems with it, especially if you have an amp that overloads. But I think it was designed that way to avoid potentially flawed recordings. But overall it is a good product when you have a good antenna set up.
I seem to get about 48 hours on average with the OTA on screen guide.

As to over-load, I don't use an amp. I am 5-8 miles (as the crow flies) from the towers for Charlotte channels 3, 36, 46, and 55. 9, 64 and 18 are strong enough that they come in well. Even tiny channel 28 from Gastonia comes in. That leaves 42 and 58, which I can get pretty well too, if I switch from my HD antenna to one of the smaller Charlotte-directed antennas that I also have outside.
post #9859 of 9864 Old Yesterday, 04:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
That close you might not have the issues I did. I still can't fathom frankly why people are gobbling up the DVR+ when the TiVo OTA with lifetime is $399 now. Add together the price of the DVR+ and external drives you would be almost in the same place. Plus you'd have 4 tuners vs only 2
post #9860 of 9864 Old Yesterday, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
That close you might not have the issues I did. I still can't fathom frankly why people are gobbling up the DVR+ when the TiVo OTA with lifetime is $399 now. Add together the price of the DVR+ and external drives you would be almost in the same place. Plus you'd have 4 tuners vs only 2
The main reason for me is that my home internet access is through a hot spot. As you probably know, that type of internet access is like a tankless hot water heater - pay for it when you use it. I am at places at least six out of seven days where there is free internet access, so I don't turn on the hot spot very often. That type of home internet access works for me.

My new DVR was $248, and I paid another $83 for a 2 TB storage disk. No monthly fees and no internet access required.

Is there a monthly fee with the TiVo you are referring to?

Last edited by OTA-DVR-guy; Yesterday at 05:14 AM.
post #9861 of 9864 Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The main reason for me is that my home internet access is through a hot spot. As you probably know, that type of internet access is like a tankless hot water heater - pay for it when you use it. I am at places at least six out of seven days where there is free internet access, so I don't turn on the hot spot very often. That type of home internet access works for me.

My new DVR was $248, and I paid another $83 for a 2 TB storage disk. No monthly fees and no internet access required.

Is there a monthly fee with the TiVo you are referring to?
No, the $399 TiVo OTA includes lifetime service (no monthly fee). You actually can buy a 'discount code' off eBay for about $35 that brings the price of the TiVo down to $335 (including the code). People on the TiVo Community forums do use the TiVo with hotspots and say it doesn't use a great deal of data (unless it is one of the few times a year they send down system updates)
post #9862 of 9864 Old Yesterday, 08:04 AM

Quote:
No, the $399 TiVo OTA includes lifetime service (no monthly fee). You actually can buy a 'discount code' off eBay for about $35 that brings the price of the TiVo down to $335 (including the code). People on the TiVo Community forums do use the TiVo with hotspots and say it doesn't use a great deal of data (unless it is one of the few times a year they send down system updates)
$335 is roughly what I paid for the Channelmaster ($249) and the Toshiba 2 TB drive ($83).

Out of curiosity, how does the amount of memory in the TiVo compare with my 2 TB?

Also, other than a more advanced program guide, are there any advantages to the TiVo?
post #9863 of 9864 Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I can see the four tuners indeed being an advantage if I had 200 cable channels. But with 27 local channels, I can't see myself using more than two. If I am recording two shows, I can use the TV tuner to watch a third show.
post #9864 of 9864 Unread Today, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
$335 is roughly what I paid for the Channelmaster ($249) and the Toshiba 2 TB drive ($83).

Out of curiosity, how does the amount of memory in the TiVo compare with my 2 TB?

Also, other than a more advanced program guide, are there any advantages to the TiVo?
Your current setup has the TiVo out of the box on space... the TiVo OTA has a 500GB hard drive out of the box for roughly 75 hours of HD recording. All the new units are user upgradable though. I have a 3TB drive in my cable box. It could record roughly 630 hours of HD programming.

For your setup if you're happy with two tuners I would keep it now that you've got it, since it does what you want. I really, really wanted to like the DVR+ when I bought it. I tried it for 28 of the 30 days in the return period. I just couldn't get it to consistently record without errors. Since you're so close to the towers you might not have those issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page