Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 330 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 129Likes

post #9871 of 9897 Old 07-10-2015, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
Very Nice News set.
That Facebook pic looks like the same set with a new paint job. Unless I am mistaken. But yes it looks very good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9872 of 9897 Old 07-13-2015, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Look like WCNC change backdrop on their news studio look better.
post #9873 of 9897 Old 07-16-2015, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Multi-Port Antenna

Do you know of a good antenna with multiple output ports on it? I have three coaxial cables running up my outside pole to two antennas that are aging and need to be replaced (one of the two antennas has an extra coax hooked to it by taping the connector to the post next to the existing output port, which interestingly seems to work fine signal-wise). But I would really like to get one good HD anteanna and hook all three to it. Using a three-way splitter off of one port isn't the preferred option, because all three cables are already split under the house (to the living room and to the bedroom), so splitting them at the antenna is something I would like to avoid.
post #9874 of 9897 Old 07-19-2015, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I do not know of any antennas that have 3 output ports. Although some of the newer Winegard HD series with the balun box may have 2. But you probably just need a good 3-way splitter, or decide if you need a distribution amp instead. The Channel Master 4 port dist amp is a good choice. But you may have strong signals and an amp may not be necessary.
post #9875 of 9897 Old 07-19-2015, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Anybody know what 36.3 is going to be. There is signal but no video.
post #9876 of 9897 Old 07-20-2015, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realoldman View Post
Anybody know what 36.3 is going to be. There is signal but no video.
36.3 is apparently a new subchannel for WYFF-4. It is not WCNC, as the signal info says RF36 not RF22. They do not yet have video or mapping to 4.3. Don't know yet what programming it will be.
post #9877 of 9897 Old 07-20-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
36.3 is apparently a new subchannel for WYFF-4. It is not WCNC, as the signal info says RF36 not RF22. They do not yet have video or mapping to 4.3. Don't know yet what programming it will be.
Foumnd that out, WYFF has no comment.
post #9878 of 9897 Old 07-21-2015, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Foumnd that out, WYFF has no comment.

I received an email message from WYFF engineer when i sent an message to him ask him about it they was just running a 24 hr test just to see about possible add a 4.3 in the future

and there is No final decision has been made witch problem has come from the stations owners Hearst
post #9879 of 9897 Old 07-21-2015, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
I received an email message from WYFF engineer when i sent an message to him ask him about it they was just running a 24 hr test just to see about possible add a 4.3 in the future

and there is No final decision has been made witch problem has come from the stations owners Hearst
Hearst may have plans for a future subchannel but they are not yet ready to officially announce.
post #9880 of 9897 Old 07-21-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Hearst may have plans for a future subchannel but they are not yet ready to officially announce.
11.3 has weather radar on now. Not fully working.
post #9881 of 9897 Old 07-24-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
11.3 has weather radar on now. Not fully working.
Blank now
post #9882 of 9897 Old 07-28-2015, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghsteelersfan View Post
Quote:
New to this forum, hoping someone local can confirm/help. In the last couple days, I have lost WCNC OTA on both Win HTPCs (despite full bars in the MCE Signal Meter) yet direct to TV, no problem and strong signal as well.

Anyone using windows media center and know how to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance!
Can someone with working reception of WCNC OTA use TSReader Lite or a similar tool to pull the "Program Association Table"? From similar stories online, I am seeing that the PSIP, ID, TVCT, etc. values may be different for 22.1 (aka 36.1) and 22.2 (36.2) and that apparently can hose WMC. I would like to have that data to confirm and to contact/forward to the WCNC engineers. The only solution seems to be fixing it at the transmitter.
I have not been able to get TSReader Lite to work with my Avermedia Tuner Cards.

Please help!
Need to ask for help again as it now appears that WTVI (PBS) has made some change in their tables. I am getting the same behavior in Windows Media Center as I did with WCNC when they messed up the TSID. No signal on WMC but crystal clear through TV only.

Could one of you helpful souls run TSReader for WTVI OTA and post the results? It does not work with my cards.

Thanks in advance!
post #9883 of 9897 Old 07-28-2015, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
WYFF-4 has dropped Mobile DTV and was testing subchannel for future use, according to Engineer. But no plans at the moment.

But I am curious if any Charlotte stations have also dropped Mobile DTV, since it seems to waste bandwidth for a format that has not been widely adopted.
post #9884 of 9897 Old 07-28-2015, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
WYFF-4 has dropped Mobile DTV and was testing subchannel for future use, according to Engineer. But no plans at the moment.

But I am curious if any Charlotte stations have also dropped Mobile DTV, since it seems to waste bandwidth for a format that has not been widely adopted.
WSOC and WAXN have removed there ATSC-MH signals back in May.

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

post #9885 of 9897 Old 07-28-2015, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Need to ask for help again as it now appears that WTVI (PBS) has made some change in their tables. I am getting the same behavior in Windows Media Center as I did with WCNC when they messed up the TSID. No signal on WMC but crystal clear through TV only.

Could one of you helpful souls run TSReader for WTVI OTA and post the results? It does not work with my cards.

Thanks in advance!
I have looked at WTVI with a TSR. Appears normal. What are you looking for specifically?

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

post #9886 of 9897 Old 07-28-2015, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
I have taken a look at the WTVI data stream. We see no problems with the feed. WHKY TV runs the translator on channel 14 at Hickory for WTVI. We monitor the stream 24 x 7. All errors in the stream the last 30 days, we know why they occurred. We have see nothing that would cause the problem you are seeing. The translator at Hickory uses the same stream that the main transmitter at Charlotte uses. The transmitter are connected by fiber.

Tom
post #9887 of 9897 Old 07-28-2015, 06:17 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

WHKY TV still runs about 900K of data that reports as "Mobile Data". WHKY uses this for timing/syncing between our two transmitter, on the same channel. We run no Mobile Programming, and with the current state of the art, have no plans to do so at this time. May rethink this with ATSC 3.0

Tom
post #9888 of 9897 Old 07-28-2015, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla_engineer View Post
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
I have taken a look at the WTVI data stream. We see no problems with the feed. WHKY TV runs the translator on channel 14 at Hickory for WTVI. We monitor the stream 24 x 7. All errors in the stream the last 30 days, we know why they occurred. We have see nothing that would cause the problem you are seeing. The translator at Hickory uses the same stream that the main transmitter at Charlotte uses. The transmitter are connected by fiber.
I don't know how to explain it, but both Media Center HTPCs have WTVI back online tonight, where neither had it earlier today (despite showing strong signals in MCE settings). Both TVs they are connected to showed strong signals and programming just fine. I was at work and made no updates or changes to ANYTHING (not even a reboot in between then and now)... Problem is solved but the mystery remains.

Thanks for replying so quickly!
post #9889 of 9897 Old 07-29-2015, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 61
^With the other issues hitting WMC, Microsoft dropping support, and the changes to the schedule provider, it might be time for you to look at another alternative.
post #9890 of 9897 Old 07-29-2015, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

^^Early morning weather conditions are problematic in the summertime. Some normal stations may disappear, and strange distant stations may blast in. And some tuners deal with signal quality issues better than others. Could be you had good signal strength for WTVI but poor signal quality due to multipath or interference. And the TV tuner may have had better error correction whereas the HTPC tuner was not as good regarding signal quality issues.
post #9891 of 9897 Old Yesterday, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Some of the old game shows on Buzzr are like history lessons. I've Got a Secret had an episode with the two helicopter pilots who pulled Alan Sheppard and the first Mercury capsule out of the ocean. This episode aired the same week that event took place and the space race with the Russians had everyone's attention.

They showed one of the pilot's home 8mm film of the retrieval since apparently there was no official video. They claimed it was the first time shown on TV. Interestingly a very young Johnny Carson, before he was famous, was one of the panel members too.
post #9892 of 9897 Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Times are indeed changing. Just saw Moira Quinn and anchor Kristin Miranda promoting the Charlotte Pride Festival on the noon news on WBTV. Not too many years ago, the most conservative station in town would only mention this type of event in a more negative manner, with news reports of the preachers protesting. Just a sign of the changing times.
mvcg66b3r and 4:3 Toshiba like this.
post #9893 of 9897 Old Yesterday, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
Some of the old game shows on Buzzr are like history lessons. I've Got a Secret had an episode with the two helicopter pilots who pulled Alan Sheppard and the first Mercury capsule out of the ocean. This episode aired the same week that event took place and the space race with the Russians had everyone's attention.

They showed one of the pilot's home 8mm film of the retrieval since apparently there was no official video. They claimed it was the first time shown on TV. Interestingly a very young Johnny Carson, before he was famous, was one of the panel members too.
It look like Buzzr game show channel is just running the same game shows of Tattle Tells,Let Make a deal,match game,card shark,press your luck and old B&W games shows over nights like i've got sercet,tell the truth,i've got secert then they repeat same ones they show in morning in afternoon, I don't know if they will air any new Game shows in fall or not look like if they would cut the repeats then they could add new shows that haven't seen in years
post #9894 of 9897 Old Yesterday, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Yep. To Tell the Truth sometimes offers the same sort of history. What's my Line currently on Buzzr is about 5 years older than the other two, and offers older insights.
Being pretty old, I can say that Johnny Carson wasn't so obscure at the time of this show. He had been a regular guest host on both the Steve Allen and Jack Paar Tonight! shows. Goodson-Todman used him a lot as a guest panalist. And, at the time of this show, he was on TV every afternoon with his own gameshow. Who Do You Trust?
And Ed was his sidekick. Carson certainly got more famous hosting Tonight!, but he had fair audience recognition at the time of this show. Carson suffered from looking quite young well into his 40's.
post #9895 of 9897 Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Times are indeed changing. Just saw Moira Quinn and anchor Kristin Miranda promoting the Charlotte Pride Festival on the noon news on WBTV. Not too many years ago, the most conservative station in town would only mention this type of event in a more negative manner, with news reports of the preachers protesting. Just a sign of the changing times.

I couldn't agree more.

Check out massresistance dot org.
post #9896 of 9897 Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by difuse View Post
Yep. To Tell the Truth sometimes offers the same sort of history. What's my Line currently on Buzzr is about 5 years older than the other two, and offers older insights.
Being pretty old, I can say that Johnny Carson wasn't so obscure at the time of this show. He had been a regular guest host on both the Steve Allen and Jack Paar Tonight! shows. Goodson-Todman used him a lot as a guest panalist. And, at the time of this show, he was on TV every afternoon with his own gameshow. Who Do You Trust?
And Ed was his sidekick. Carson certainly got more famous hosting Tonight!, but he had fair audience recognition at the time of this show. Carson suffered from looking quite young well into his 40's.
post #9897 of 9897 Old Today, 02:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Seems to me the first time that I remember a local news stations even acknowledging there was a Gay community in Charlotte was in the late 1970s when there had been a lot of national attention to it due to this story. I seem to remember that it wasn't negative or biased but more uncharacteristically just fact based. I think the reporter wasn't quite sure what to do or say either.

Don't remember the station for sure, but it might have been WSOC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception