Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 332 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 132Likes

post #9931 of 9946 Old 08-19-2015, 07:26 AM
A J

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 18
A couple of TVs with good OTA reception have been mentioned recently. I'm considering getting a new TV, around 50-inches, to replace one of my two Samsung LCDs, which is starting to get flaky.

My question is, does anyone manufacture TVs anymore with flat matt screens (instead of glossy screens)? I really like the non-reflective screens on my two Samsungs. I don't get any reflections from house lights or windows. But, every TV I've seen in store displays recently has glossy screens which reflect back every light in the metro area. A glossy screen would work fine in a relatively dark room, but not in my situation.

I don't care about tuner strength (I tune with a TiVo Roamio OTA), or smart features (I prefer my Roku 3).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9932 of 9946 Old 08-19-2015, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 126
^^Samsung reportedly upgraded the video processing in their 2015 LED models. Some of their mid range models may offer a semi-matte screen, while the higher end versions have the ultraclear glossy panels. I would go to Best Buy and compare in person, or find a knowledgeable salesperson if there is such a thing and ask about the matte screen.

And for OTA reception, most of the Samsung TVs have a strong tuner with a good signal strength meter, as well as program info. Which is important, even though you have the Tivo.
post #9933 of 9946 Old 08-24-2015, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Apparently WSOC anchor Blair Miller is transferring to Cox sister station in Boston. And anchor Natalie Pasquarella is going to WNBC in New York City. So they have some major shoes to fill. Perhaps Scott Wickersham or Allison Latos.

Also Cox sister station WFVT in Orlando has just unveiled spectacular new set. Very modern look, whereas previously they looked similar to WSOC with that 70's style image. WSOC should use that same company and do a similar upgrade and modernize. But Cox will probably upgrade WSB in Atlanta next, their flagship station. The Orlando station is also branded Channel 9 Eyewitness News and is also top rated in that market. Very impressive new set.
post #9934 of 9946 Old 08-24-2015, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 61
^Anchors don't seem to stay around like they did when Bill Walker was on there. Charlotte is just a stepping stone to larger markets.
post #9935 of 9946 Old 08-25-2015, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Is this a low power religious station?
Yes, it's called Wordnet. It has a lot of religious programming, but also some infomercials, and occasionally a movie or some classic TV shows. I have occasionally caught The Beverly Hillbillies and Bonanza. But you gotta get their schedule off of the net to see what is on, because "DTV programming" is all that appears on-screen.
post #9936 of 9946 Old 08-25-2015, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
Yes, it's called Wordnet. It has a lot of religious programming, but also some infomercials, and occasionally a movie or some classic TV shows. I have occasionally caught The Beverly Hillbillies and Bonanza. But you gotta get their schedule off of the net to see what is on, because "DTV programming" is all that appears on-screen.
I will probably stick with Jimmy Swaggart on 55.3. And sometimes watch WGGS-16, which also has new Jim Bakker show. Plus I can't get that 28 channel anyway.
post #9937 of 9946 Old 08-25-2015, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
^Anchors don't seem to stay around like they did when Bill Walker was on there. Charlotte is just a stepping stone to larger markets.
Well Paul Cameron is still around, as well as Larry Sprinkle. But these younger ones do seem to move on these days.
post #9938 of 9946 Old 08-26-2015, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I forgot about Paul Cameron as I don't watch WBTV that much. True about Larry Sprinkle. He's a long term Charlottean back from the days when TV station talent was still mostly local people.
post #9939 of 9946 Old 08-26-2015, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Audio/video appear out of sync on WBTV 3.1 over the air.
post #9940 of 9946 Old 08-26-2015, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I miss WBTV programming back in the 60s and 70s. Does anyone remember weatherman Gil Stamper? How about the March of Dimes weekend fund raisers? Clyde McClain used to host The Best of Hollywood on Monday nights which aired popular movies of the time.

Man, I miss those days.
post #9941 of 9946 Old 08-27-2015, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

^As a kid I remember Fred Kirby show and cartoons on Sundays. It was about the only thing on TV for kids on Sunday mid-day I think. I might not be remembering that right as it has been a long time now.
post #9942 of 9946 Old 08-27-2015, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
^As a kid I remember Fred Kirby show and cartoons on Sundays. It was about the only thing on TV for kids on Sunday mid-day I think. I might not be remembering that right as it has been a long time now.
Same here...Fred and Uncle Jim....and it was so awesome when my first week at w3tv I was walking down the hall and Fred came around the corner !! It was incredible!

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #9943 of 9946 Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
Same here...Fred and Uncle Jim....and it was so awesome when my first week at w3tv I was walking down the hall and Fred came around the corner !! It was incredible!
Anyone remember Joey the Clown? He was my childhood favorite. We lived up in Surry Co. and I still got to watch him. Also that guy who worked at Tweetsie. Can't remember his name.

Good memories. Kids today don't know nothing. lol
post #9944 of 9946 Old Today, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

^^Back in the day, WBTV had all of the popular programming and personalities. Such as Doug Mayes, Clyde McLean, Fred Kirby, and Betty Feezor. And Walter Cronkite. Today all of the stations share more of the viewership.
post #9945 of 9946 Old Today, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
^^Back in the day, WBTV had all of the popular programming and personalities. Such as Doug Mayes, Clyde McLean, Fred Kirby, and Betty Feezor. And Walter Cronkite. Today all of the stations share more of the viewership.
Was Arthur Smith chopped liver?
post #9946 of 9946 Old Today, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by difuse View Post
Was Arthur Smith chopped liver?
Oops forgot about him.
Sponsored Links