Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 335 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #10021 of 10023 Old Today, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
Just an update.. I finally was able to identify the rest of my setup. I'm using the Winegard 8800 previously mentioned with a AP 8275 pre-amp. That was much higher up the line than I expected. I estimate the antenna only is at about 15 feet too because of the location near the base of my roof on the back side of the house.

I played with my previously mentioned Solid Signal X10 some this week from indoors, and was able to lock WMYA in with it from inside the house. Given that I think I'm going to try turning my current antenna towards GSP and see if I still get the Charlotte stations from the back side. If that doesn't work I might try the MCM antenna with a separate VHF unit or the VHF retrofit kit.
That Winegard 8275 preamp has a high gain of 29db VHF and 28db UHF, which I think may be a bit too powerful for your location. Although it may seem to work. But a more moderate gain of 16d or 19db may be more appropriate, such as Channel Master 7778 or Winegard LNA-200.
Sponsored Links
post #10022 of 10023 Old Today, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 62
If I remember correctly, the Winegard 8275 is also an extremely noisy amp. I think I have one around here that I don't use. Best not to use it if you are in the Charlotte metro because in most cases it's going to cause you to lose stations than gain them.
post #10023 of 10023 Old Today, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
Best not to use it if you are in the Charlotte metro because in most cases it's going to cause you to lose stations than gain them.
And a good chance of crossmod along with front end overload of the tuner. Some here are just stuck on recommending preamps when they should not be.

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
Sponsored Links
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception