Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 344 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 232Likes

post #10291 of 10985 Old 02-21-2016, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by realoldman View Post
360 Degree Omnidirectional TV Antenna OmniPro HD-8000 from Lava. What do you think?
Funny you should ask.. I've been researching those this weekend and am considering buying the 1byone version of that antenna to try it out. The 1byone reviews seem to be more favorable than the ones on this version, and it's cheaper. Since I have trouble pulling in some GSP stations, but get the Charlotte stations just fine I'm thinking about taking a gamble on it. The instructions say it can be used with or without the amplifier they include, so I'm going to experiment pairing it with the new Juice pre-amp I purchased in December.

Recently my parents purchased one of those "panel" antennas at Wal-Mart and can pick up virtually all channels in both markets depending on which direction they point it in. I figure if it can do it, this should be able to.

I'm going to use it for UHF only, with my VHF antenna from MCM pointed at WSPA/WLOS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10292 of 10985 Old 02-22-2016, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
360 Degree Omnidirectional TV Antenna OmniPro HD-8000 from Lava. What do you think?
Cheap Chinese junk.

Actually, these flying saucer style omnidirectional antennas may work OK in suburbs, but not really designed for fringe reception. But I think I agree I would try the 1byOne version. Better reviews and save some money. Also, 1byOne has square flat panel version that may be more directional and could perform better for long distance. Nice compact design.
post #10293 of 10985 Old 02-22-2016, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
Funny you should ask.. I've been researching those this weekend and am considering buying the 1byone version of that antenna to try it out. The 1byone reviews seem to be more favorable than the ones on this version, and it's cheaper. Since I have trouble pulling in some GSP stations, but get the Charlotte stations just fine I'm thinking about taking a gamble on it. The instructions say it can be used with or without the amplifier they include, so I'm going to experiment pairing it with the new Juice pre-amp I purchased in December.

Recently my parents purchased one of those "panel" antennas at Wal-Mart and can pick up virtually all channels in both markets depending on which direction they point it in. I figure if it can do it, this should be able to.

I'm going to use it for UHF only, with my VHF antenna from MCM pointed at WSPA/WLOS.
Did they get the Terk antenna from Walmart? It works very good for a flat panel. I have it in bonus room and it gets all GSP channels, including WLOS which can be problematic. As well as WBTV real good which is long distance for me at 75 miles. Also gets WCNC and WJZY but weaker. But a good overall indoor antenna. Good for VHF and UHF.

They also sell RCA and GE panel antennas at Walmart, as well as Mohu.

post #10294 of 10985 Old 02-22-2016, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Cheap Chinese junk.

Actually, these flying saucer style omnidirectional antennas may work OK in suburbs, but not really designed for fringe reception. But I think I agree I would try the 1byOne version. Better reviews and save some money. Also, 1byOne has square flat panel version that may be more directional and could perform better for long distance. Nice compact design.
Will be looking to get 60 miles all dierection. Giving up on 9, 18, 14 and 64. Zipcode 28722.
post #10295 of 10985 Old 02-23-2016, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Will be looking to get 60 miles all dierection. Giving up on 9, 18, 14 and 64. Zipcode 28722.
The generic TVFool looks pretty good. While your individual terrain might influence it I'd give the 1byone model a try. You've got nothing to lose but a little time, so long as you buy from somebody with a good return policy. In your situation your stations are so spread out. You should get all the Greenville-Spartanburg stations, and the Dallas tower Charlotte stations. I'd say 9 & 18 are a long shot, but it *might* happen. 64 I don't see any way.
post #10296 of 10985 Old 02-23-2016, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
The generic TVFool looks pretty good. While your individual terrain might influence it I'd give the 1byone model a try. You've got nothing to lose but a little time, so long as you buy from somebody with a good return policy. In your situation your stations are so spread out. You should get all the Greenville-Spartanburg stations, and the Dallas tower Charlotte stations. I'd say 9 & 18 are a long shot, but it *might* happen. 64 I don't see any way.
Where is 1byone cheap?
post #10297 of 10985 Old 02-23-2016, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Where is 1byone cheap?
Amazon has the cheapest price on it that I've found... $68
post #10298 of 10985 Old 03-01-2016, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Cheap Chinese junk.

Actually, these flying saucer style omnidirectional antennas may work OK in suburbs, but not really designed for fringe reception.
Indeed.

By definition, omnidirectional antennas have no gain. Since they are usually located outside, they almost always like they do in this case, sell it with an amplifier to get that signal through the run of coax. If the amp breaks down, the antenna is useless.

I wouldn't spend $70 on this thing since in the end, reliable performance won't be as good as a set of rabbit ears.
post #10299 of 10985 Old 03-01-2016, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
This is likely a question for Bob - Does anyone know why the onscreen guides (from OTA transmission) would be messed up? 18.1 and 18.2 both say No Information Available. 18.3 has the list of programs that are actually on 18.1. 18.4 seems to be correct, not that I watch QVC. That is happening on my new Channel Master OTA DVR that I bought last summer. My old CM7000PAL still has the right listings. Thanks.
post #10300 of 10985 Old 03-03-2016, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

The February Sweeps are out, and surprisingly WBTV has beaten WSOC in every major time slot overall. It looks like all the retirements and turnover at WSOC are having an impact. I remember growing up I use to love to watch WSOC's news, as they did a very good job of covering the SC part of the DMA back then. With an evening news team of Bill Walker, Debi Faubion, Ray Boylan and Harold Johnson they were hard to beat. Now they've all retired and the younger ones don't stay around long enough to build up a following. WBTV still has some of their old timers like Paul Cameron & Delano Little. I'd think that stability has at least a little to do with their climb. People like to see familiar faces.

6 AM

WBTV 63,400 +20%
WSOC 59,600 -24%
WCNC 19,400 -13%
WCCB 7,700 -53%
WJZY 1,700 +49%

NOON

WBTV 80,400 +4%
WSOC 64,600 -27%
WCNC 21,100 -5%

6 PM

WBTV 111,800 +3%
WSOC 106,100 -33%
WCNC 51,300 -14%
WJZY 4,700 +6%

NETWORK NEWS

ABC 126,000 -25%
CBS 97,700 -13%
NBC 69,700 -23%

10 PM

WAXN 41,100 -20%
WCCB 22,200 -40%
WJZY 13,700 -35%

11 PM

WBTV 83,400 +8%
WSOC 62,700 -37%
WCNC 37,000 -1%

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/en....#storylink=cpy
post #10301 of 10985 Old 03-03-2016, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I picked up the Observer at QT this morning and was surprised to see this ratings report. While WBTV has often won at noon and 11pm, WSOC tended to dominate the overall newscast ratings for the past 25 years. But originally, back in the 70's and 80's, WBTV was the ratings leader with Doug Mayes, Clyde McLean, and later Bob Inman and Paul Cameron. They always said the dial was stuck on Channel 3. But later Doug Mayes and Harold Johnson moved to WSOC, and along with Bill Walker, Debi Faubion, and Ray Boylan, they put together an appealing and winning team. But now WBTV has the more experienced veteran anchors, as the heavyweights have retired at WSOC. And the new faces keep changing, as they have recently lost Blair Miller and Natalie Pascarella. Plus the new set at WBTV is modern and impressive, and may have helped to attract new viewers. And I think Maureen O'Boyle is very good. But now the other 2 stations have copied WBTV with the breaking news alert desk, as a means to remain competitive.
post #10302 of 10985 Old 03-03-2016, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for posting that. The Observer's website is less user friendly than ever so I rarely go to it anymore.

WSOC has been at the top of the heap for a long time. Agreed about it resulting from personality changes. I don't care much for the Scott Wickersham/Allison Latos team. Something about that entire team just doesn't click for me. On the other hand, I prefer WSOC's noon broadcast over the others. They might consider replacing Scott Wickersham with John Paul and find someone else for Latos.

For some reason, I can't get into WBTV. I moved back to WCNC at 6pm when WSOC made those changes. Sometimes I watch WJZY, but they still need to work on that format. Their morning crew is much better. Still, good to see that WJZY is making some inroads at last.

IMO, WCCB ought to start a 6pm news cast.

Doesn't surprise me at that dramatic fall of those network news broadcasts ratings. ABC, CBS & NBC have made complete asses of themselves in this election. People are tuning them out due to lack of any credibility.
post #10303 of 10985 Old 03-03-2016, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

According to the ratings, WBTV apparently has more viewers west of Charlotte, whereas WSOC is more dominant to the east. Which makes sense for OTA viewers in the fringe, based upon tower location. And that does not even consider possible WBTV viewers outside the DMA boundaries in Upstate SC and Western NC, which are not included in the ratings report.
post #10304 of 10985 Old 03-03-2016, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat6 View Post
Thanks for posting that. The Observer's website is less user friendly than ever so I rarely go to it anymore.

WSOC has been at the top of the heap for a long time. Agreed about it resulting from personality changes. I don't care much for the Scott Wickersham/Allison Latos team. Something about that entire team just doesn't click for me. On the other hand, I prefer WSOC's noon broadcast over the others. They might consider replacing Scott Wickersham with John Paul and find someone else for Latos.

For some reason, I can't get into WBTV. I moved back to WCNC at 6pm when WSOC made those changes. Sometimes I watch WJZY, but they still need to work on that format. Their morning crew is much better. Still, good to see that WJZY is making some inroads at last.

Doesn't surprise me at that dramatic fall of those network news broadcasts ratings. ABC, CBS & NBC have made complete asses of themselves in this election. People are tuning them out due to lack of any credibility.
Well I disagree about Scott Wickersham. I think he is very polished and professional. But I do think they have yet to find a strong, authoritative anchor to replace Bill Walker, as well as a strong personality based sportscaster to replace Harold Johnson. But the new anchors will develop their own identity, but it now seems to be proving a bit of a challenge.
post #10305 of 10985 Old 03-03-2016, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The ironic thing about the ratings is that ABC still is on top of the network news in Charlotte, with NBC being dead last. Nationally NBC's Lester Holt still beats ABC the majority of the time yet NBC runs dead last in Charlotte. That shows how poorly WCNC's lead in power to it is. ABC still being on top provides some ammunition to the WSOC personality argument to. On average 20,000 additional viewers are turning to WSOC for the ABC World News Tonight broadcast yet aren't watching WSOC's local news. Likewise 14,000 WBTV viewers go elsewhere for their nightly news, presumably to WSOC. This also seems to discredit the theory that the increase in sample has shifted viewers from WSOC to WBTV. Clearly those 20,000 viewers go to WSOC for national news, they could just as easily watch their local news there if they chose to.

I would like to see WCCB do some type of evening newscast as well. Either a 4pm or a 7pm would be their best bet. WHNS does a 4pm newscast and I watch it frequently myself.

Last edited by cpalmer2k; 03-03-2016 at 07:48 AM.
post #10306 of 10985 Old 03-04-2016, 04:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The ironic thing about the ratings is that ABC still is on top of the network news in Charlotte, with NBC being dead last..
I agree with you but I would be of those few who watch WCNC for local then switch to either ABC or CBS for the network news if I didn't DVR it.

I'm probably not typical, but I set my DVR to record all 3 broadcasts at 6:30 and then I watch about the first 5-10 minutes or so on each if that much. It tosses the show from the previous day if it still exists so it doesn't clog up the disk.

I wonder if it works the other way around? i.e. choice of network news determines local channel that people watch for news.

In any case when you consider that ~30,000/year are moving into Mecklenburg, and maybe that many more around into the surrounding counties, those ratings have to be disappointing to the broadcasters.
post #10307 of 10985 Old 03-04-2016, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Something seems to have knocked WCNC off the air.
post #10308 of 10985 Old 03-04-2016, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I agree with you but I would be of those few who watch WCNC for local then switch to either ABC or CBS for the network news if I didn't DVR it.

I'm probably not typical, but I set my DVR to record all 3 broadcasts at 6:30 and then I watch about the first 5-10 minutes or so on each if that much. It tosses the show from the previous day if it still exists so it doesn't clog up the disk.

I wonder if it works the other way around? i.e. choice of network news determines local channel that people watch for news.

In any case when you consider that ~30,000/year are moving into Mecklenburg, and maybe that many more around into the surrounding counties, those ratings have to be disappointing to the broadcasters.
Here in Upstate SC NBC Nightly News is the most viewed network newscast following the lead from WYFF News 4. Although Lester Holt does a good job, I still disagree with the removal of Brian Williams and will often watch CBS which now has a solid newscast. I am normally not in the habit of switching to 13 for any newscast, local or national. As I usually watch WBTV and WYFF, and sometimes WCNC and WSPA. I don't think WLOS is highly viewed in SC due to a problematic OTA signal and they focus more on Asheville.
post #10309 of 10985 Old 03-04-2016, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Something seems to have knocked WCNC off the air.
They back on the air this afternoon must have been a technical problem.
post #10310 of 10985 Old 03-04-2016, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I still disagree with the removal of Brian Williams
As bad and tabloidistic that NBC has become, I don't see where they had much choice in this case. Williams managed to rank up there with the Bill Clinton level of lying.
post #10311 of 10985 Old 03-04-2016, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As bad and tabloidistic that NBC has become, I don't see where they had much choice in this case. Williams managed to rank up there with the Bill Clinton level of lying.
Well that exaggeration about his chopper being attacked by gunfire was on a talk show, not a news report. And he was an award winning and top rated anchor for 10 years. I thought he did a good job. But he is on MSNBC now.
post #10312 of 10985 Old 03-04-2016, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Well that exaggeration about his chopper being attacked by gunfire was on a talk show, not a news report. And he was an award winning and top rated anchor for 10 years. I thought he did a good job. But he is on MSNBC now.
I'll never forget Brian Williams saying the end of daylight saving time would cost Hurricane Sandy rescue workers an hour of daylight.
post #10313 of 10985 Old 03-08-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
According to the ratings, WBTV apparently has more viewers west of Charlotte, whereas WSOC is more dominant to the east. Which makes sense for OTA viewers in the fringe, based upon tower location. And that does not even consider possible WBTV viewers outside the DMA boundaries in Upstate SC and Western NC, which are not included in the ratings report.
That was true going back to the 70's when I was a kid, and into the 80's. Back in those days WBTV news ratings dominance was unchallenged, but toward the end of that period the tide was turning a little. At the time, I remember a guy from WSOC telling me that they would be #1 except for the fact that Gaston and Cleveland county viewers were so solidly loyal to WBTV.

Last edited by OTA-DVR-guy; 03-08-2016 at 11:48 AM. Reason: correction
post #10314 of 10985 Old 03-08-2016, 12:31 PM

Retro: Charlotte Friday, July 19, 1968

From The Charlotte Observer:

WBTV Ch. 3 (CBS)

6:20 Almanac
6:30 Melody Men
7 AM News
7:05 CBS News (Joseph Benti, repeated
at 7:30)
7:55 News
8 AM Captain Kangaroo
9 AM Kirby's Corral (Charlotte kids'-show legend
Fred Kirby)
9:05 Love Of Life (delay from noon)
9:30 Merv Griffin
10:30 Beverly Hillbillies
11 AM Andy Griffith
11:30 Secret Storm (delay from 4 PM)
12 N Noon Report (Charlotte legend Ty Boyd)
12:25 Pat Lee (women's show)
12:30 Search For Tomorrow
12:45 Guiding Light
1 PM Betty Feezor
1:30 As The World Turns
2 PM Love Is A Many Splendored Thing
2:30 Art Linkletter's House Party
3 PM To Tell The Truth (Bud Collyer)
3:25 CBS News (Douglas Edwards)
3:30 Edge Of Night
4 PM Superman
4:30 Mike Douglas
6 PM News, Weather, Sports
6:25 Editorial
6:30 CBS News (Walter Cronkite)
7 PM Marshal Dillon (the half-hour "Gunsmoke"s)
7:30 Wild Wild West
8:30 Gomer Pyle, USMC
9 PM CBS Movie: "Your Cheatin' Heart" (George Hamilton
as Hank Williams)
11 PM Late Report
11:30 Late Show: "The Sun Also Rises"

WSOC Ch. 9 (NBC)

6:45 On The House
7 AM Today (Hugh Downs)
9 AM Today In The Carolinas
9:30 Girl Talk (Virginia Graham)
10 AM Snap Judgment (Ed McMahon)
10:25 NBC News (Sander Vanocur)
10:30 Concentration (Hugh Downs)
11 AM Personality (Larry Blyden)
11:30 Hollywood Squares (Peter Marshall--
don't have the guest list)
12 N Jeopardy! (Art Fleming)
12:30 Eye Guess (Bill Cullen)
12:55 NBC News (Edwin Newman)
1 PM Midday (another Charlotte legend, Jimmy Kilgo)
1:30 Let's Make A Deal (Monty Hall)
2 PM Days Of Our Lives
2:30 The Doctors
3 PM Another World
3:30 Clown Carnival (another kids'-show legend,
Brooks Lindsay)
4 PM Big Show (title not given)
6 PM Pulse News (co-anchor Jack Callaghan later became
WSOC's general manager; co-anchor Bill Walker was
Charlotte's longest-serving anchor, retiring only a few
years ago)
6:30 Huntley-Brinkley Report
7 PM The Monkees (delay from Mon 7:30)
7:30 Tarzan (Ron Ely)
8:30 Star Trek
9:30 Political Talk: Sen. Eugene McCarthy
10 PM What's Happening To America? (Edwin Newman
hosts a program about social unrest in this country,
talks with Mayor John Lindsay and RFK's press secretary
Frank Mankiewicz.)
11 PM News Final
11:30 Tonight Show (details not given)
1 AM Sugarfoot

WCCB Ch. 18 (ABC)

8:30 Bonnie Prudden (exercises)
9 AM Romper Room
10 AM Jack LaLanne
10:30 Dick Cavett
12 N Bewitched
12:30 Treasure Isle (John Bartholomew Tucker hosts
television's first outdoor game show, from the
Colonnades Beach Hotel in Palm Beach Shores, FL.)
1 PM Dream House (Mike Darrow, or Darow, not sure which)
1:30 It's Happening
1:55 Children's Doctor (Dr. Lendon Smith)
2 PM Newlywed Game (Bob Eubanks)
2:30 Dating Game (Jim Lange)
3 PM General Hospital
3:30 One Life To Live (completes its first week on the air)
4 PM Dark Shadows
4:30 Rocky And His Friends
5 PM Cowboy Bob
5:30 Uncle Waldo (originally "Hoppity Hooper" on ABC)
6 PM Trails West
6:30 ABC News (Frank Reynolds)
7 PM True (reruns of "GE True" with Jack Webb)
7:30 On Location (don't know what this was about)
8 PM PGA Championship (second-round highlights)
8:30 Man In A Suitcase (spy show produced in England)
9:30 Guns Of Will Sonnett
10 PM Judd For The Defense
11 PM Peter Gunn
11:30 Joey Bishop

WCTU (WCNC) Ch. 36 (Ind.)

3 PM Les Crane
3:55 News
4 PM Old Prospector (kids' show)
4:25 News Time
4:30 Cartoons
5:25 News
5:30 Early Show (title not given)
6:55 Financial Report
7 PM Movie: "Surprise Package"
9 PM Les Crane
10 PM News Watch
10:30 Late Show: "How To Murder A Rich
Uncle" (Charles Coburn, not the only
time he played such a part)
12 M News Final

WTVI Ch. 42 (NET)

4 PM Fashion (all that's given)
4:30 French Chef
5 PM Folk Guitar
5:30 Caverns (some kind of travelogue)
5:45 Destination
6 PM Yoga For Health
6:30 Spectrum
7 PM What's New
7:30 Mister Rogers' Neighborhood
8 PM Perspective
8:30 Backstage
9 PM NET Playhouse: "Thirteen Against Fate:
The Widower"

WUNG Ch. 58 Concord, NC (NET)

5 PM What's New
5:30 Aspect (farm show)
6 PM News
6:15 Art Studio
6:30 Algebra (course offered through N.C. State)
7 PM Creative Person: "Georges Simenon" (French writer)
7:30 What's New
8 PM NET Playhouse: "Thirteen Against Fate: The Lodger"

(NET programs were usually bicycled in those days; no interconnected
network except for the "PBL" program on Sunday nights.)
eacalhoun likes this.
post #10315 of 10985 Old 03-18-2016, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^Thanks for posting that. Nice reminder of what TV used to be like.
eacalhoun likes this.
post #10316 of 10985 Old 03-22-2016, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA-DVR-guy View Post
Retro: Charlotte Friday, July 19, 1968

From The Charlotte Observer:

WBTV Ch. 3 (CBS)

6:20 Almanac
6:30 Melody Men
7 AM News
7:05 CBS News (Joseph Benti, repeated
at 7:30)
7:55 News
8 AM Captain Kangaroo
9 AM Kirby's Corral (Charlotte kids'-show legend
Fred Kirby)
9:05 Love Of Life (delay from noon)
9:30 Merv Griffin
10:30 Beverly Hillbillies
11 AM Andy Griffith
11:30 Secret Storm (delay from 4 PM)
12 N Noon Report (Charlotte legend Ty Boyd)
12:25 Pat Lee (women's show)
12:30 Search For Tomorrow
12:45 Guiding Light
1 PM Betty Feezor
1:30 As The World Turns
2 PM Love Is A Many Splendored Thing
2:30 Art Linkletter's House Party
3 PM To Tell The Truth (Bud Collyer)
3:25 CBS News (Douglas Edwards)
3:30 Edge Of Night
4 PM Superman
4:30 Mike Douglas
6 PM News, Weather, Sports
6:25 Editorial
6:30 CBS News (Walter Cronkite)
7 PM Marshal Dillon (the half-hour "Gunsmoke"s)
7:30 Wild Wild West
8:30 Gomer Pyle, USMC
9 PM CBS Movie: "Your Cheatin' Heart" (George Hamilton
as Hank Williams)
11 PM Late Report
11:30 Late Show: "The Sun Also Rises"

WSOC Ch. 9 (NBC)

6:45 On The House
7 AM Today (Hugh Downs)
9 AM Today In The Carolinas
9:30 Girl Talk (Virginia Graham)
10 AM Snap Judgment (Ed McMahon)
10:25 NBC News (Sander Vanocur)
10:30 Concentration (Hugh Downs)
11 AM Personality (Larry Blyden)
11:30 Hollywood Squares (Peter Marshall--
don't have the guest list)
12 N Jeopardy! (Art Fleming)
12:30 Eye Guess (Bill Cullen)
12:55 NBC News (Edwin Newman)
1 PM Midday (another Charlotte legend, Jimmy Kilgo)
1:30 Let's Make A Deal (Monty Hall)
2 PM Days Of Our Lives
2:30 The Doctors
3 PM Another World
3:30 Clown Carnival (another kids'-show legend,
Brooks Lindsay)
4 PM Big Show (title not given)
6 PM Pulse News (co-anchor Jack Callaghan later became
WSOC's general manager; co-anchor Bill Walker was
Charlotte's longest-serving anchor, retiring only a few
years ago)
6:30 Huntley-Brinkley Report
7 PM The Monkees (delay from Mon 7:30)
7:30 Tarzan (Ron Ely)
8:30 Star Trek
9:30 Political Talk: Sen. Eugene McCarthy
10 PM What's Happening To America? (Edwin Newman
hosts a program about social unrest in this country,
talks with Mayor John Lindsay and RFK's press secretary
Frank Mankiewicz.)
11 PM News Final
11:30 Tonight Show (details not given)
1 AM Sugarfoot

WCCB Ch. 18 (ABC)

8:30 Bonnie Prudden (exercises)
9 AM Romper Room
10 AM Jack LaLanne
10:30 Dick Cavett
12 N Bewitched
12:30 Treasure Isle (John Bartholomew Tucker hosts
television's first outdoor game show, from the
Colonnades Beach Hotel in Palm Beach Shores, FL.)
1 PM Dream House (Mike Darrow, or Darow, not sure which)
1:30 It's Happening
1:55 Children's Doctor (Dr. Lendon Smith)
2 PM Newlywed Game (Bob Eubanks)
2:30 Dating Game (Jim Lange)
3 PM General Hospital
3:30 One Life To Live (completes its first week on the air)
4 PM Dark Shadows
4:30 Rocky And His Friends
5 PM Cowboy Bob
5:30 Uncle Waldo (originally "Hoppity Hooper" on ABC)
6 PM Trails West
6:30 ABC News (Frank Reynolds)
7 PM True (reruns of "GE True" with Jack Webb)
7:30 On Location (don't know what this was about)
8 PM PGA Championship (second-round highlights)
8:30 Man In A Suitcase (spy show produced in England)
9:30 Guns Of Will Sonnett
10 PM Judd For The Defense
11 PM Peter Gunn
11:30 Joey Bishop

WCTU (WCNC) Ch. 36 (Ind.)

3 PM Les Crane
3:55 News
4 PM Old Prospector (kids' show)
4:25 News Time
4:30 Cartoons
5:25 News
5:30 Early Show (title not given)
6:55 Financial Report
7 PM Movie: "Surprise Package"
9 PM Les Crane
10 PM News Watch
10:30 Late Show: "How To Murder A Rich
Uncle" (Charles Coburn, not the only
time he played such a part)
12 M News Final

WTVI Ch. 42 (NET)

4 PM Fashion (all that's given)
4:30 French Chef
5 PM Folk Guitar
5:30 Caverns (some kind of travelogue)
5:45 Destination
6 PM Yoga For Health
6:30 Spectrum
7 PM What's New
7:30 Mister Rogers' Neighborhood
8 PM Perspective
8:30 Backstage
9 PM NET Playhouse: "Thirteen Against Fate:
The Widower"

WUNG Ch. 58 Concord, NC (NET)

5 PM What's New
5:30 Aspect (farm show)
6 PM News
6:15 Art Studio
6:30 Algebra (course offered through N.C. State)
7 PM Creative Person: "Georges Simenon" (French writer)
7:30 What's New
8 PM NET Playhouse: "Thirteen Against Fate: The Lodger"

(NET programs were usually bicycled in those days; no interconnected
network except for the "PBL" program on Sunday nights.)

It was a shame that WFBC-TV 4 (now WYFF) in Greenville, SC passed on The Monkees during its entire first run on NBC in 1966-1968 which means that Western Carolina/Northeast Georgia viewers missed out on the popular TV band starring Michael Nesmith, Micky Dolenz, Peter Tork, and the late Davy Jones unless they were lucky enough to pick up out-of-market NBC stations nearby like WIS-TV in Columbia, SC or WSOC-TV (now ABC) in Charlotte, NC to watch the Pre-Fab Four on Monday Nights. I think WFBC's then station management were so uptight and strict back then. WFBC didn't clear SNL until Spring 1978 while WSOC carried it from 1975-1978 and moved to WRET (now WCNC) after the Charlotte TV switch of 1978. I've found out that Greensboro's NBC station WXII 12 didn't carry Punky Brewster and Silver Spoons in the 1980s either nor $ale of the Century too which WFBC/WYFF carried the latter three shows.

It's shame that Super Password on NBC wasn't seen at all in Charlotte (same for CBS' Press Your Luck in the 1980s). In Greenville, SC's CBS station WSPA 7 carried PYL after Michael Larson's controversial $110,237 win in 1984 and stayed there until January 3, 1986 before PYL moved to 4pm and WSPA dropped the show (along with Charleston's WCSC too). SP was seen on then Independent WAXA 40 (now WMYA My40) in Greenville, SC in lieu of WYFF during its NBC run from 1984-1989 because channel 4 was doing noon newscasts locally. Also ABC station WLOS 13 said no on The Edge of Night during the entire ABC era from 1975-1984 too.

Spencer Karter

OTA Equipment: ChannelMaster 25' telescopic mast, 5' extra antenna mast, antenna rotor, AntennaCraft C490.
post #10317 of 10985 Old 03-22-2016, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
It's shame that Super Password on NBC wasn't seen at all in Charlotte (same for CBS' Press Your Luck in the 1980s). In Greenville, SC's CBS station WSPA 7 carried PYL after Michael Larson's controversial $110,237 win in 1984 and stayed there until January 3, 1986 before PYL moved to 4pm and WSPA dropped the show (along with Charleston's WCSC too). SP was seen on then Independent WAXA 40 (now WMYA My40) in Greenville, SC in lieu of WYFF during its NBC run from 1984-1989 because channel 4 was doing noon newscasts locally. Also ABC station WLOS 13 said no on The Edge of Night during the entire ABC era from 1975-1984 too.
You bring up "TV memories" I had long forgotten. You mentioned "Super Password" not being carried by channel 36 (WPCQ at the time I think). However, it was carried by WHKY-TV for its entire run, I believe. WHKY also carried the short-lived NBC gameshow "The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour". I think WHKY carried some other NBC shows that WPCQ declined. Also, the "Edge of Night" was my first soap "addiction" and I was like 6 or 7 years old when it was on CBS. Then CBS dropped it, and it moved to ABC on WCCB which was all but a snowy picture at my Morganton childhood home. My Mom and I were frustrated that WLOS did not carry "Edge". We thought there would be cause for hope when WSOC became ABC, but I don't remember WSOC carrying "Edge", either.

Eric Calhoun

"If it was simple, anyone could do it" - Roy Clark from Hee Haw
post #10318 of 10985 Old 03-22-2016, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacalhoun View Post
You bring up "TV memories" I had long forgotten. You mentioned "Super Password" not being carried by channel 36 (WPCQ at the time I think). However, it was carried by WHKY-TV for its entire run, I believe. WHKY also carried the short-lived NBC gameshow "The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour". I think WHKY carried some other NBC shows that WPCQ declined. Also, the "Edge of Night" was my first soap "addiction" and I was like 6 or 7 years old when it was on CBS. Then CBS dropped it, and it moved to ABC on WCCB which was all but a snowy picture at my Morganton childhood home. My Mom and I were frustrated that WLOS did not carry "Edge". We thought there would be cause for hope when WSOC became ABC, but I don't remember WSOC carrying "Edge", either.
You may have forgotten, but WSOC did carry Edge of Night in the mornings. I thought it was a good show, along with All My Children back in the 80s. And of course General Hospital during the Luke and Laura era. But my mom and my sister mainly watched the CBS soaps, especially As the World Turns and Guiding Light. WBTV always had the top daytime ratings, from the Betty Feezor days to Top O The Day. In fact, my mother still has an old Betty Feezor cookbook that my grandmother had.
post #10319 of 10985 Old 03-22-2016, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
You may have forgotten, but WSOC did carry Edge of Night in the mornings. I thought it was a good show, along with All My Children back in the 80s. And of course General Hospital during the Luke and Laura era. But my mom and my sister mainly watched the CBS soaps, especially As the World Turns and Guiding Light. WBTV always had the top daytime ratings, from the Betty Feezor days to Top O The Day. In fact, my mother still has an old Betty Feezor cookbook that my grandmother had.
On Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour preempted in Charlotte, NC. It was also preempted in Greenville, SC by WYFF 4 as well and wasn't seen at all unfortunately. Charlotte, NC was the only market that didn't carry NBC Nightly News in the early 1980s by WPCQ (now WCNC)? I wish an independent like WCCB or WHKY carried it in lieu of WPCQ during that time.

Spencer Karter

OTA Equipment: ChannelMaster 25' telescopic mast, 5' extra antenna mast, antenna rotor, AntennaCraft C490.
post #10320 of 10985 Old 03-23-2016, 12:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
On Match Game/Hollywood Squares Hour preempted in Charlotte, NC. It was also preempted in Greenville, SC by WYFF 4 as well and wasn't seen at all unfortunately. Charlotte, NC was the only market that didn't carry NBC Nightly News in the early 1980s by WPCQ (now WCNC)? I wish an independent like WCCB or WHKY carried it in lieu of WPCQ during that time.
Back then everybody watched the CBS Evening News on WBTV, going back to the Walter Cronkite era. Westinghouse felt it was better to counterprogram WPCQ back then, which had a weak signal on Channel 36. Later owners upgraded the signal with the big tall antenna tower in Gaston County, and boosted the power to 5 million megawatts. And they have continually been working to improve their news product ever since, despite the recent series of Gannett layoffs and changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page