Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 352 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 175Likes

post #10531 of 10549 Old 09-19-2016, 01:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone heard any developments of Cozi TV coming to Charlotte? I'm surprised they're in smaller markets, but not here.

Also, I have the below antenna:

mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2425

The antenna consists of two parts; the front consists of bowtie elements, and the back consists of horizontal pieces.

If I take off the horizontal piece, and use the bowtie elements by themselves, will it make the antenna more of a 360 degree (less directional) antenna? Will it cut down on the range significantly?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10532 of 10549 Old 09-19-2016, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdorplane View Post
Has anyone heard any developments of Cozi TV coming to Charlotte? I'm surprised they're in smaller markets, but not here.

Also, I have the below antenna:

mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2425

The antenna consists of two parts; the front consists of bowtie elements, and the back consists of horizontal pieces.

If I take off the horizontal piece, and use the bowtie elements by themselves, will it make the antenna more of a 360 degree (less directional) antenna? Will it cut down on the range significantly?

Thanks in advance!
That MCM antenna is a good basic 4-bay UHF design and should be ideal for Charlotte. You may need a separate High VHF antenna for WTVI depending upon location. And sometimes a preamp may help, but if your signals are strong you may not need one. If you remove the reflector panel, the antenna will be more bidirectional from the front and back, but will lose some of the stronger gain from the front.

Have not heard about Cozi TV, but it is carried on WHNS 21.2 if you are west of Charlotte and can receive GSP stations.
post #10533 of 10549 Old 09-19-2016, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

WJZY FOX-46 has debuted their new set this morning. Parts of the old diner set are now used for interviews on the morning show, but the counter is gone. And they have a nice new anchor desk with a scenic skyline backdrop for the main news. And Chuck Howard has now returned with the sports.

And speaking of sports, what has happened with Russ Owens on WCNC? I thought he does a great job, but they have a new guy on there, as well as the Panthers show. But I still see Russ on there sometimes during the weekday news, so not really sure.
post #10534 of 10549 Old 09-19-2016, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
That MCM antenna is a good basic 4-bay UHF design and should be ideal for Charlotte. You may need a separate High VHF antenna for WTVI depending upon location. And sometimes a preamp may help, but if your signals are strong you may not need one. If you remove the reflector panel, the antenna will be more bidirectional from the front and back, but will lose some of the stronger gain from the front.

Have not heard about Cozi TV, but it is carried on WHNS 21.2 if you are west of Charlotte and can receive GSP stations.
Thanks so much for the reply . For some reason, I am not getting the reception I had hoped for from the above antenna. In fact, the above antenna replaced one that was half it's size, and that one more effective. Both were/are mounted and directed the same way. I gotta play around with the direction, next time i'm on the roof...
post #10535 of 10549 Old 09-19-2016, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks so much for the reply . For some reason, I am not getting the reception I had hoped for from the above antenna. In fact, the above antenna replaced one that was half it's size, and that one more effective. Both were/are mounted and directed the same way. I gotta play around with the direction, next time i'm on the roof...
Maybe you need a preamp. Where are you located? Also check the cables and connections.
post #10536 of 10549 Old 09-20-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Maybe you need a preamp. Where are you located? Also check the cables and connections.
I appreciate your looking to help. I am in Belmont/Mt Holly, but the main problem is that the house is on a good sized lot in a bit of a valley - so the signal has to overcome trees and the terrain. There are also obstacles (neighboring houses) that surround me, and they are a good deal higher than my house.

I do have a 20db preamp.

As much as I do like the picture with digital tv, I do miss that analog signals were much less finicky
post #10537 of 10549 Old 09-20-2016, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I appreciate your looking to help. I am in Belmont/Mt Holly, but the main problem is that the house is on a good sized lot in a bit of a valley - so the signal has to overcome trees and the terrain. There are also obstacles (neighboring houses) that surround me, and they are a good deal higher than my house.

I do have a 20db preamp.

As much as I do like the picture with digital tv, I do miss that analog signals were much less finicky
Since you are in Belmont/Mt. Holly, you should have very strong signals from the Dallas towers. So a preamp may not be a good idea in this situation. You don't want to overload. Perhaps you should adjust the antenna and try to find a sweet spot between the Dallas and Charlotte towers. And WSOC has translator on Crowder's Mtn.
post #10538 of 10549 Old 09-20-2016, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Is anybody having any issue with WCCB 18 it seam be off the air or reduce power as i'm not getting any signal
post #10539 of 10549 Old 09-21-2016, 02:04 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

And speaking of sports, what has happened with Russ Owens on WCNC? I thought he does a great job, but they have a new guy on there, as well as the Panthers show. But I still see Russ on there sometimes during the weekday news, so not really sure.
I liked him much more as Sports anchor than the bald headed clown they had on there before. He was a great anchor back in mid summer. But seems that WCNC didn't think the same way and they picked up that new guy. And that woman the have on there now on the weekends is horrible.

I did see Russ in the last week or so and he has grown a beard. The SJWs would shoot me but I don't think the TV stations should have female Sports anchors. It didn't work for WSOC, doesn't work for WCCB, and doesn't work for WCNC. This is opinion. I appreciate that we have great stations in CLT.
post #10540 of 10549 Old 09-21-2016, 02:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

I'd love to see Cozi TV in CLT.
post #10541 of 10549 Old 09-21-2016, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I am not opposed to a female sportscaster. But I don't really care for any of the ones they have on the various stations now. And remember Hannah Storm started at WCNC then went to ESPN. And I did like that Danielle girl who was on WBTV but she went to FOX. The new guy on WCNC does good but so did Russ Owens who is apparently still there also. But I really miss Harold Johnson on Channel 9 and WSOC has yet to find a strong replacement.
post #10542 of 10549 Old 09-21-2016, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
Is anybody having any issue with WCCB 18 it seam be off the air or reduce power as i'm not getting any signal
Perhaps weather conditions can affect the fringes. Did you also lose WSOC?
post #10543 of 10549 Old 09-21-2016, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Perhaps weather conditions can affect the fringes. Did you also lose WSOC?
When i check Last Night WCCB was back but i didn't pickup WSOC witch i used be able get WSOC at night I pretty much can get WCCB full time.
post #10544 of 10549 Old 09-21-2016, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
When i check Last Night WCCB was back but i didn't pickup WSOC witch i used be able get WSOC at night I pretty much can get WCCB full time.
Is your antenna outside and do you use an amp? Outside may make a difference because I know somebody in Spartanburg who get both 9 and 18. And WSOC has RF34 and RF30 translator.
post #10545 of 10549 Old 09-21-2016, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Both WSPA and WYFF had live coverage from Charlotte today and WCNC used Sky 4 chopper video. WBTV and WSOC had their own chopper coverage of police shooting incident.
post #10546 of 10549 Old 09-21-2016, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Is your antenna outside and do you use an amp? Outside may make a difference because I know somebody in Spartanburg who get both 9 and 18. And WSOC has RF34 and RF30 translator.
No I have it inside facing the North Window toward charlotte NC i have a Winegard - Boost XT Digital HDTV Preamplifier on it
post #10547 of 10549 Old 09-22-2016, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Both WSPA and WYFF had live coverage from Charlotte today and WCNC used Sky 4 chopper video. WBTV and WSOC had their own chopper coverage of police shooting incident.
National networks now covering this story and WYFF said a WCNC crew may have been assaulted.
post #10548 of 10549 Old Yesterday, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Badly disappointed that WCNC is posting #letsstoptheviolence between station breaks. It makes the station appear that they are siding with the protestors - whether they are or not. I called the switchboard to voice my objection.

There is two sides to every story, and considering how the city has been plagued with violence (of the likes that I have never seen before), it makes no sense to post such seemingly biased information, because it can help fuel the flames of more violence, and some folks of low degree would love to see that happen and get involved themselves.

Instead, the station needs to focus more on clergy / church-based intervention and prayer stories.
post #10549 of 10549 Old Today, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4:3 Toshiba View Post
Badly disappointed that WCNC is posting #letsstoptheviolence between station breaks. It makes the station appear that they are siding with the protestors - whether they are or not. I called the switchboard to voice my objection.

There is two sides to every story, and considering how the city has been plagued with violence (of the likes that I have never seen before), it makes no sense to post such seemingly biased information, because it can help fuel the flames of more violence, and some folks of low degree would love to see that happen and get involved themselves.

Instead, the station needs to focus more on clergy / church-based intervention and prayer stories.
It;s all about ratings IMO, instead of being fair and balanced it's who is getting more hits on their website and broadcast ratings. However WCCB and WBTV did a very good job of having live broadcast streams and showing what was happening in real time, I feel for some of the live team getting cussed out and shoved by members of the protesters (a lot of the people are from out of town and not local to Charlotte so they can abuse our City and go home)

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception