Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 358 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 186Likes

post #10711 of 10729 Old 02-03-2017, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KramerTC View Post
I'd say! May I ask what type of antenna do you have? Mine is a simple indoor amplified antenna I have on an upstairs window. I've haven't had any issues with WCNC until this weekend.
Sorry for the slow response. It's an Antennacraft U4000. Sturdy, well built, didn't cost much. Unfortunately they don't sell them anymore. It's mounted on the side of the house, no amplifier. It's hardly noticeable.

Picks up all the Dallas location TV stations without any issue at all. Never had a bit of trouble with WCNC during the outage that you guys were talking about.

Last edited by blackcat7; 02-03-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10712 of 10729 Old 02-03-2017, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat7 View Post
Sorry for the slow response. It's an Antennacraft U4000. Sturdy, well built, didn't cost much. Unfortunately they don't sell them anymore. It's mounted on the side of the house, no amplifier. It's hardly noticeable.

Picks up all the Dallas location TV stations without any issue at all. Never had a bit of trouble with WCNC during the outage that you guys were talking about.
No worries. I'm coming around to the idea of having an antenna installed on the roof. I can't get WTVI at all and I'm limited by the orientation of my window.
post #10713 of 10729 Old 02-04-2017, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 724 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:

The Antenncraft factory shut down when Radioshack went bankrupt. They made good antennas. They now sell Antennas Direct Clearstream antennas in their remaining stores. Not quite the same inventory they used to have.

post #10714 of 10729 Old 02-04-2017, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No worries. I'm coming around to the idea of having an antenna installed on the roof. I can't get WTVI at all and I'm limited by the orientation of my window.
Winegard 7694 or 7698 combo antenna for High VHF and UHF depending upon location. And possible preamp. Or, MCM Stellar Labs High VHF antenna which may also get the UHF. Otherwise add MCM 4bay UHF.

And you may have to find sweet spot between Charlotte towers, or separate antennas. Depends on location.
post #10715 of 10729 Old 02-04-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
As mentioned above Antennacraft is out of business, and Winegard seems to be cutting back on all but a few of their antennas. Shame that. The 7694p seems your best bet for Huntersville. It should have no problem at all with WTVI.

You might also want to look at Channel Master & Antennas Direct though IMO, AD builds a lot of overpriced gimmicky antennas. I wouldn't bother with anything from Mohu.
ybsane and eacalhoun like this.

Last edited by blackcat7; 02-04-2017 at 09:24 AM.
post #10716 of 10729 Old 02-09-2017, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 34
FCC has sent out new channel assignment. WAXN will announce its soon.

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

post #10717 of 10729 Old 02-09-2017, 03:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo1080 View Post
I look forward to seeing those go public!

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #10718 of 10729 Old 02-09-2017, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Will be interested to see what these plans are. As we thought RF50 would probably have to move. And perhaps WJZY/WMYT may have to move from 47 and 39 also, whenever that is decided. Remains to be seen.
post #10719 of 10729 Old 02-09-2017, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
I look forward to seeing those go public!

- Trip

Is the FCC allowing the stations to announce any changes first? And if any other stations may be moving, will they be announcing soon also, or does this decision vary for each individual station?
post #10720 of 10729 Old 02-09-2017, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Is the FCC allowing the stations to announce any changes first? And if any other stations may be moving, will they be announcing soon also, or does this decision vary for each individual station?
Public notice will come out the first of March. Everything above channel 36 will have to move. WAXN, WMYT, WJZY, WUNG, WHKY I know WAXN new channel but can not release to the public.

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

post #10721 of 10729 Old 02-10-2017, 12:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
The FCC lifted the quiet period on stations, which is why you're seeing announcements by some station groups of how much money they have made. (I'm tracking these public announcements here: https://www.rabbitears.info/blog/ind...uction-Results ) So as far as I am aware, stations can announce their new channels or whether they're going off the air or whatever, but the FCC is still bound to confidentiality to the general public at this time.

Based on Ted's message, it sounds like Cox made a corporate decision not to announce their new channels and will wait for the FCC to do so.

Quote:
Public notice will come out the first of March.
I'm not sure where you heard that date, but that does not sound right to me.

Quote:
Everything above channel 36 will have to move. WAXN, WMYT, WJZY, WUNG, WHKY
As will many stations below 37.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #10722 of 10729 Old 02-10-2017, 08:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
The FCC lifted the quiet period on stations, which is why you're seeing announcements by some station groups of how much money they have made. (I'm tracking these public announcements here: https://www.rabbitears.info/blog/ind...uction-Results ) So as far as I am aware, stations can announce their new channels or whether they're going off the air or whatever, but the FCC is still bound to confidentiality to the general public at this time.

Based on Ted's message, it sounds like Cox made a corporate decision not to announce their new channels and will wait for the FCC to do so.

I'm not sure where you heard that date, but that does not sound right to me.

As will many stations below 37.

- Trip
Trip;
Thanks so very much for all you do.
It is MUCH appreciated by folks like me who are somehow fascinated with the repack process and yet have troubles keeping up with (and understanding) it.
Nat Hill IV
post #10723 of 10729 Old 02-10-2017, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 1756
A number of posts have been moved to AVS Official Topic - The FCC & Broadcast Spectrum to avoid duplication. Some of you might want to move the repack discussion - the generic part, anyway - over there so members from other markets can benefit. Naturally, stuff that's specific to Charlotte can stay here. Just trying to maximize the reach of some very good information. Please add that thread to your subscriptions so you can follow and add to the conversation.

Doc

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #10724 of 10729 Old 02-15-2017, 07:35 AM

Does anyone know if Charlotte will be losing any stations in this? Or is that even an issue?
post #10725 of 10729 Old 02-15-2017, 09:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Does anyone know if Charlotte will be losing any stations in this? Or is that even an issue?
I suppose anyone who knows is not allowed to say. The only thing that seems clear is that every station above 36 will be repacked. But I also wonder about stations below 36 and how they may be impacted due to the cramming of more local broadcasters in a smaller amount of spectrum? And although many of us viewers never wanted to see this auction, we'll just have to hope for the best.
post #10726 of 10729 Old 02-16-2017, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As stated, all channels above 36 will have to move. It is unclear if any lower channels may move to make room. Apparently Cox is waiting on the FCC to announce WAXN, which may be the end of March. Hopefully no major channels will be lost. It will be interesting to see where WJZY and WMYT will go; hopefully low VHF can be avoided as that may be problematic for digital reception and require a large antenna. And I hope WBTV will remain on 23, as I currently receive a strong, stable signal at 75 miles, an they have a good omnidirectional pattern top mounted.
W4DXL likes this.
post #10727 of 10729 Old 02-18-2017, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope we don't get any more stations on VHF hi band. I don't have a problem with WTVI but that's because it's close to where I live. 9, 18, or 64 could go VHF-hi band and it probably wouldn't cause me a problem. I really like the smaller UHF antennas. In a year or two I could be a cord cutter as retirement looms.
post #10728 of 10729 Old Yesterday, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4DXL View Post
I hope we don't get any more stations on VHF hi band. I don't have a problem with WTVI but that's because it's close to where I live. 9, 18, or 64 could go VHF-hi band and it probably wouldn't cause me a problem. I really like the smaller UHF antennas. In a year or two I could be a cord cutter as retirement looms.
9 is on 34 and 18 is 27. So they should not have to move unless they need to clear more space for other stations moving. Not sure how all this is negotiated or decided. Apparently FCC will eventually announce possibly end of March. Unless a few broadcast cos. announce themselves. But apparently Cox is waiting on the FCC.

Not sure if much High VHF is available. 7 is Spartanburg, 9 is Greenville, 13 is Asheville and Florence. And 8 and 10 are Columbia. And 11 is WTVI. So this may only leave 12 as a High VHF options. Unless something changes.

If WJZY moves to VHF I hope they have good strong power level and top mount because I currently get 47 from Dallas reliable at 75 miles, and I hope they maintain current coverage and VHF may be problematic.
post #10729 of 10729 Old Today, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

I can confirm the following concerning WSOC and WAXN.

1) It goes without saying that WAXN will move to a lower channel
2) Although WSOC (34) is below channel 37, it too, will change channels (Not WSOC decision, came as a surprise to me)
3) Neither WSOC or WAXN will move to a VHF-Hi channel.
4) By the rules concerning Dipole-Factor, both WSOC and WAXN will operate at a lower ERP.
5) I will announce the new channel numbers a day or two before the FCC does on March 30.

Will be happy to answer any questions, however, I will not give out channel or new ERP.

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

Last edited by Theo1080; Today at 07:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception