Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 364 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 220Likes
post #10891 of 10900 Unread 06-15-2017, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
For border counties such as Cherokee in SC, it is beneficial to have an outside antenna to receive all available channels from both markets. Rather than just what may be offered on cable or satellite due to the DMA rules. And also to view in full HD rather than SD. And that should finally be upgraded. If you drive through Gaffney, you will see many houses where antennas are pointed both directions towards both Charlotte and GSP. And most of the Charlotte signals are very strong in Cherokee County, especially WBTV. Although I think most Cherokee County residents tend to shop in Spartanburg, or perhaps sometimes Gastonia. The only reason to go to Charlotte is that SouthPark is the nicest mall with the best stores, but they do have Belk, Dillard, Macy's and Walmart down in the Upstate as well.

I believe they keep them in SD as part of their agreement with WSPA and WLOS. I do wish WSOC and/or WBTV would try to get DIRECTV to recognize them as neighboring locals for our area. But my understanding is that even in most of those areas the out of market stations are SD only
brice52 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10892 of 10900 Unread 06-18-2017, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
I believe they keep them in SD as part of their agreement with WSPA and WLOS. I do wish WSOC and/or WBTV would try to get DIRECTV to recognize them as neighboring locals for our area. But my understanding is that even in most of those areas the out of market stations are SD only
I think you may be correct about the SD issue as it relates to out of market channels in DMA bordering market counties.

For example, the last I checked (maybe 5 years ago), Direct TV had WSOC on their channel lineup in Davie, Davidson and Yadkin Counties (in the Greensboro viewing market). However, (at least at that time), WSOC was only offered in SD. And no other Charlotte locals were designated (or included) under this 'significantly viewed' designation whatsoever.

But with only SD being offered in these low percentage of cases, you'd have to 'really' want to watch the so called 'significantly viewed' authorized channel, for such things as local news coverage on the out of market channel, since it is in SD only. Otherwise, the paid viewer may as well tune into their designated local affiliate for programming.

Last edited by evan237; 06-18-2017 at 05:36 PM.
post #10893 of 10900 Unread 06-18-2017, 05:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post
I think you may be correct about the SD issue as it relates to out of market channels in DMA bordering market counties.

For example, the last I checked (maybe 5 years ago), Direct TV had WSOC on their channel lineup in Davie, Davidson and Yadkin Counties (in the Greensboro viewing market). However, (at least at that time), WSOC was only offered in SD. And no other Charlotte locals were designated (or included) under this 'significantly viewed' designation whatsoever.

But with only SD being offered in these low percentage of cases, you'd have to 'really' want to watch the so called 'significantly viewed' authorized channel for that out of market's local news coverage, since it is in SD only. Otherwise, the paid viewer may as well tune into their designated local affiliate for programming.
I've often wondered about that. I know some people claim they live in markets where they get two sets of network stations in HD because of SV, where others only get them in SD. Also, in some cases I've heard they get both sets in HD BUT during network programming the SV station is blacked out. I guess it might depend on the demands the in market stations make? Personally growing up I always watched WSOC and they devoted a good amount of time to covering stories in Cherokee County. Now they do less of that because of budgets, but you do still see cases like last week where they do a better job than the Spartanburg stations do. Until HD WBTV was very, very popular here as well.

post #10894 of 10900 Unread 06-19-2017, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I have noticed for the most part that Charlotte stations do not cover daily news in Cherokee County unless there is some sort of major crisis such as the bad wreck, or a big fire or murder case. All other run of the mill local news seems to be left for the GSP stations. And WSOC doesn't even have Cherokee County on their weather map. For some reason, WCNC seems to cover a bit more of Cherokee County than the other Charlotte stations.
post #10895 of 10900 Unread 06-19-2017, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Also WBTV needs to put the GSP temperature from Greer back on their weathermap. They still have Asheville and WBTV has good signal in Greenville and Spartanburg.
post #10896 of 10900 Unread 06-19-2017, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Light tv is now on the air on 55.2 per light tv website
post #10897 of 10900 Unread 06-19-2017, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
Light tv is now on the air on 55.2 per light tv website
Not yet they still show BUZZR on 55.2 and Jimmy Swaggart is still on 55.3.
post #10898 of 10900 Unread 06-20-2017, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Not yet they still show BUZZR on 55.2 and Jimmy Swaggart is still on 55.3.
I wonder if they change plans for lighttv since 55 signal going http://www.lighttv.com/
post #10899 of 10900 Unread 06-20-2017, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMckin View Post
I wonder if they change plans for lighttv since 55 signal going http://www.lighttv.com/
Don't know but LightTV is on 16.4 if you want to see it.
post #10900 of 10900 Unread Today, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Youtube has announced that it will offer streaming TV in Charlotte that includes some sort of live streaming to all the major broadcast networks. Not sure if that means it will actually stream all the local channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception