Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 365 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 224Likes

post #10921 of 10931 Old 07-21-2017, 12:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
It's official folks especially for Cord Cutters! YouTube TV has arrived in the Charlotte, NC DMA! It includes WBTV, WSOC, WCNC, and WJZY. I wish YouTube TV launches in other markets like Greenville, SC Columbia, SC and Charleston, SC. I know Atlatna, GA is launched as well!

What do you think of YouTubeTV?
Good to hear if they carry the local channels. Would have to compare to Sling, Playstation Vue, and DirecTV Now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10922 of 10931 Old 07-21-2017, 01:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 779 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
But perhaps these permits are preliminary and subject to change.
Stations were only allowed to file to stay within their original contours in the first 90-day filing period that just passed. There's a 1% allowance to allow for tiny variations due to unavoidable changes in antenna pattern due to the change in frequency, but otherwise, don't expect any significant changes until one of the two priority windows.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #10923 of 10931 Old 07-21-2017, 09:20 AM
A J
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
It's official folks especially for Cord Cutters! YouTube TV has arrived in the Charlotte.

If getting a few basic cable channels winds your watch (not my thing), YouTube TV might (possibly) be worth $35/mo. But, as far as replacing OTA it's a yawner, IMO (unless you can't get decent OTA reception). Looks like only the primary (-1, ABC, NBC, etc) local channels will be carried, and not the bunch of -2, -3, -4 sub-channels (many of which I wouldn't want to be without).

Instead of YouTube TV, I will stick with my antenna and spend the $35 a month I save on beer and pizza!

post #10924 of 10931 Old 07-21-2017, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Stations were only allowed to file to stay within their original contours in the first 90-day filing period that just passed. There's a 1% allowance to allow for tiny variations due to unavoidable changes in antenna pattern due to the change in frequency, but otherwise, don't expect any significant changes until one of the two priority windows.

- Trip
Just seems for ideal optimum coverage WCNC and WJZY should be able to top mount their transmitting antennas. Their analog stick antennas unnecessarily remain on top of the towers and were never moved. Their digital antennas were sidemounted. It seems WBTV, WSOC, and WCCB antennas were top mounted during the original digital transition.
post #10925 of 10931 Old 07-22-2017, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Just seems for ideal optimum coverage WCNC and WJZY should be able to top mount their transmitting antennas. Their analog stick antennas unnecessarily remain on top of the towers and were never moved. Their digital antennas were sidemounted. It seems WBTV, WSOC, and WCCB antennas were top mounted during the original digital transition.
They could file for a top mount now, but they would take a pretty good hit on power to maintain existing coverage if moving down in channel.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
post #10926 of 10931 Old 07-23-2017, 01:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
They could file for a top mount now, but they would take a pretty good hit on power to maintain existing coverage if moving down in channel.
As a nontechnical layperson, I forget about that aspect. Just thinking in comparison to WBTV superior signal with their 1000kw omnidirectional top mount. They did outstanding job way back when and apparently will remain that way. Don't know why WCNC and WJZY never chose to remove their analog antennas and top mount. But I reliably receive all 3 stations at 75 miles; just a difference of 10 bars for WBTV and 6 to 8 for the other stations. And I guess most viewers don't care about counting bars on a Samsung signal meter as long as they get a stable signal.

But the main difference is I can get WBTV with an indoor antenna but WCNC and WJZY require an outdoor antenna.
post #10927 of 10931 Old 07-23-2017, 01:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I also wonder if circular polarization is better than horizontal in the fringe reception. It appears in the FCC listing WCCB will be elliptical rather than horizontal, although I don't understand the technical reason. And perhaps changing from nondirectional to directional.
post #10928 of 10931 Old 07-23-2017, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
It's official folks especially for Cord Cutters! YouTube TV has arrived in the Charlotte, NC DMA! It includes WBTV, WSOC, WCNC, and WJZY. I wish YouTube TV launches in other markets like Greenville, SC Columbia, SC and Charleston, SC. I know Atlatna, GA is launched as well!

Not sure why I would get it since I have an antenna that picks up everything very reliably.

Don't have any interest in the cable channel thing. Gave that up 5 years ago.
ybsane likes this.
post #10929 of 10931 Old 07-23-2017, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
If getting a few basic cable channels winds your watch (not my thing), YouTube TV might (possibly) be worth $35/mo. But, as far as replacing OTA it's a yawner, IMO (unless you can't get decent OTA reception). Looks like only the primary (-1, ABC, NBC, etc) local channels will be carried, and not the bunch of -2, -3, -4 sub-channels (many of which I wouldn't want to be without).

Instead of YouTube TV, I will stick with my antenna and spend the $35 a month I save on beer and pizza!
I went to their website to check it out. My sister recently moved to Gaston County and doesn't currently have TV service. She misses some of the basic cable shows, so I thought this might be a good fit for them and decided to give it a trial run before recommending. When I went to the website I was surprised to find that I'm close enough to the border that it recognizes me as being in the Charlotte area (technically parts of my zip code are anyway). I signed up for the month free trial. It seems to be a good fit for those who want a limited set of channels and DVR service. You can stream WBTV, WSOC, WCNC and WJZY along with the basic cable channels they offer. DVR is unlimited, and you can "share" your account with six people.. 3 of whom can be streaming simultaneously. If you go to another market and local channels are available in it you can stream them, but you can't record locals from outside your market.
post #10930 of 10931 Old 07-24-2017, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
I went to their website to check it out. My sister recently moved to Gaston County and doesn't currently have TV service. She misses some of the basic cable shows, so I thought this might be a good fit for them and decided to give it a trial run before recommending. When I went to the website I was surprised to find that I'm close enough to the border that it recognizes me as being in the Charlotte area (technically parts of my zip code are anyway). I signed up for the month free trial. It seems to be a good fit for those who want a limited set of channels and DVR service. You can stream WBTV, WSOC, WCNC and WJZY along with the basic cable channels they offer. DVR is unlimited, and you can "share" your account with six people.. 3 of whom can be streaming simultaneously. If you go to another market and local channels are available in it you can stream them, but you can't record locals from outside your market.
Interesting they allow Cherokee County as part of Charlotte viewing area since technically it is part of GSP market. As discussued before I guess it is one of those overlapping areas.
post #10931 of 10931 Old 07-24-2017, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Charlotte, NC - OTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC
Interesting they allow Cherokee County as part of Charlotte viewing area since technically it is part of GSP market. As discussued before I guess it is one of those overlapping areas.

Well it only allows it in the parts closest to the border, and you must have a billing zip code that is shared with the Charlotte market too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page