Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 365 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 225Likes

post #10921 of 10942 Old 07-21-2017, 12:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerKarter85 View Post
It's official folks especially for Cord Cutters! YouTube TV has arrived in the Charlotte, NC DMA! It includes WBTV, WSOC, WCNC, and WJZY. I wish YouTube TV launches in other markets like Greenville, SC Columbia, SC and Charleston, SC. I know Atlatna, GA is launched as well!

What do you think of YouTubeTV?
Good to hear if they carry the local channels. Would have to compare to Sling, Playstation Vue, and DirecTV Now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10922 of 10942 Old 07-21-2017, 01:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
But perhaps these permits are preliminary and subject to change.
Stations were only allowed to file to stay within their original contours in the first 90-day filing period that just passed. There's a 1% allowance to allow for tiny variations due to unavoidable changes in antenna pattern due to the change in frequency, but otherwise, don't expect any significant changes until one of the two priority windows.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #10923 of 10942 Old 07-21-2017, 09:20 AM
A J
Advanced Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
It's official folks especially for Cord Cutters! YouTube TV has arrived in the Charlotte.

If getting a few basic cable channels winds your watch (not my thing), YouTube TV might (possibly) be worth $35/mo. But, as far as replacing OTA it's a yawner, IMO (unless you can't get decent OTA reception). Looks like only the primary (-1, ABC, NBC, etc) local channels will be carried, and not the bunch of -2, -3, -4 sub-channels (many of which I wouldn't want to be without).

Instead of YouTube TV, I will stick with my antenna and spend the $35 a month I save on beer and pizza!

post #10924 of 10942 Old 07-21-2017, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
Stations were only allowed to file to stay within their original contours in the first 90-day filing period that just passed. There's a 1% allowance to allow for tiny variations due to unavoidable changes in antenna pattern due to the change in frequency, but otherwise, don't expect any significant changes until one of the two priority windows.

- Trip
Just seems for ideal optimum coverage WCNC and WJZY should be able to top mount their transmitting antennas. Their analog stick antennas unnecessarily remain on top of the towers and were never moved. Their digital antennas were sidemounted. It seems WBTV, WSOC, and WCCB antennas were top mounted during the original digital transition.
post #10925 of 10942 Old 07-22-2017, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Just seems for ideal optimum coverage WCNC and WJZY should be able to top mount their transmitting antennas. Their analog stick antennas unnecessarily remain on top of the towers and were never moved. Their digital antennas were sidemounted. It seems WBTV, WSOC, and WCCB antennas were top mounted during the original digital transition.
They could file for a top mount now, but they would take a pretty good hit on power to maintain existing coverage if moving down in channel.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
post #10926 of 10942 Old 07-23-2017, 01:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post
They could file for a top mount now, but they would take a pretty good hit on power to maintain existing coverage if moving down in channel.
As a nontechnical layperson, I forget about that aspect. Just thinking in comparison to WBTV superior signal with their 1000kw omnidirectional top mount. They did outstanding job way back when and apparently will remain that way. Don't know why WCNC and WJZY never chose to remove their analog antennas and top mount. But I reliably receive all 3 stations at 75 miles; just a difference of 10 bars for WBTV and 6 to 8 for the other stations. And I guess most viewers don't care about counting bars on a Samsung signal meter as long as they get a stable signal.

But the main difference is I can get WBTV with an indoor antenna but WCNC and WJZY require an outdoor antenna.
post #10927 of 10942 Old 07-23-2017, 01:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I also wonder if circular polarization is better than horizontal in the fringe reception. It appears in the FCC listing WCCB will be elliptical rather than horizontal, although I don't understand the technical reason. And perhaps changing from nondirectional to directional.
post #10928 of 10942 Old 07-23-2017, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
It's official folks especially for Cord Cutters! YouTube TV has arrived in the Charlotte, NC DMA! It includes WBTV, WSOC, WCNC, and WJZY. I wish YouTube TV launches in other markets like Greenville, SC Columbia, SC and Charleston, SC. I know Atlatna, GA is launched as well!

Not sure why I would get it since I have an antenna that picks up everything very reliably.

Don't have any interest in the cable channel thing. Gave that up 5 years ago.
ybsane likes this.
post #10929 of 10942 Old 07-23-2017, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post
If getting a few basic cable channels winds your watch (not my thing), YouTube TV might (possibly) be worth $35/mo. But, as far as replacing OTA it's a yawner, IMO (unless you can't get decent OTA reception). Looks like only the primary (-1, ABC, NBC, etc) local channels will be carried, and not the bunch of -2, -3, -4 sub-channels (many of which I wouldn't want to be without).

Instead of YouTube TV, I will stick with my antenna and spend the $35 a month I save on beer and pizza!
I went to their website to check it out. My sister recently moved to Gaston County and doesn't currently have TV service. She misses some of the basic cable shows, so I thought this might be a good fit for them and decided to give it a trial run before recommending. When I went to the website I was surprised to find that I'm close enough to the border that it recognizes me as being in the Charlotte area (technically parts of my zip code are anyway). I signed up for the month free trial. It seems to be a good fit for those who want a limited set of channels and DVR service. You can stream WBTV, WSOC, WCNC and WJZY along with the basic cable channels they offer. DVR is unlimited, and you can "share" your account with six people.. 3 of whom can be streaming simultaneously. If you go to another market and local channels are available in it you can stream them, but you can't record locals from outside your market.
post #10930 of 10942 Old 07-24-2017, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
I went to their website to check it out. My sister recently moved to Gaston County and doesn't currently have TV service. She misses some of the basic cable shows, so I thought this might be a good fit for them and decided to give it a trial run before recommending. When I went to the website I was surprised to find that I'm close enough to the border that it recognizes me as being in the Charlotte area (technically parts of my zip code are anyway). I signed up for the month free trial. It seems to be a good fit for those who want a limited set of channels and DVR service. You can stream WBTV, WSOC, WCNC and WJZY along with the basic cable channels they offer. DVR is unlimited, and you can "share" your account with six people.. 3 of whom can be streaming simultaneously. If you go to another market and local channels are available in it you can stream them, but you can't record locals from outside your market.
Interesting they allow Cherokee County as part of Charlotte viewing area since technically it is part of GSP market. As discussued before I guess it is one of those overlapping areas.
post #10931 of 10942 Old 07-24-2017, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Charlotte, NC - OTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC
Interesting they allow Cherokee County as part of Charlotte viewing area since technically it is part of GSP market. As discussued before I guess it is one of those overlapping areas.

Well it only allows it in the parts closest to the border, and you must have a billing zip code that is shared with the Charlotte market too.
post #10932 of 10942 Old 07-31-2017, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Well it only allows it in the parts closest to the border, and you must have a billing zip code that is shared with the Charlotte market too.
Must be the same (or similar) thing I saw on the DISH website several years back. When querying the locals you would receive, you would input your zip code. In Burke and McDowell counties, the Nebo post office has delivery in both counties - and most of you know that Burke and McDowell are in two different DMAs. When inputting the Nebo zip code, a second option would appear (normally not seen) and you'd have to select NEBO - Burke Co --or-- NEBO - McDowell Co.

Eric Calhoun

"If it was simple, anyone could do it" - Roy Clark from Hee Haw
post #10933 of 10942 Old 07-31-2017, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacalhoun View Post
Must be the same (or similar) thing I saw on the DISH website several years back. When querying the locals you would receive, you would input your zip code. In Burke and McDowell counties, the Nebo post office has delivery in both counties - and most of you know that Burke and McDowell are in two different DMAs. When inputting the Nebo zip code, a second option would appear (normally not seen) and you'd have to select NEBO - Burke Co --or-- NEBO - McDowell Co.
McDowell County is in the Asheville-Greenville-Spartanburg market, but the Charlotte stations also cover news from there. And I am not sure, but I think perhaps WBTV or WSOC may be on cable in Marion or certain parts of McDowell County. Also I think WBTV is on cable in Rutherford County, although it is tecnically AVL/GSP market.
post #10934 of 10942 Old 07-31-2017, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I will refer to the Charlotte HD Radio thread under Gaming and Content Streaming, but it appears Kiss 95.1 has increased the power of their HD Radio signal in recent days. But I mainly listen to WLNK as well as WBT on WLNK-HD2, which I receive with rabbit ears on my home receiver, as well as the attic antenna. But car reception is now problematic due to a LPFM interfering.
post #10935 of 10942 Old 07-31-2017, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacalhoun View Post
That happens with us too. If you enter many zip codes on Dish or DirecTV's sites you are asked to pick whether you live in Cherokee County or York County. In this case it appears YouTube TV uses a combination of geolocation and billing zip code, and so they've put us in the "Charlotte" market. What is unusual though is that last Sunday when I was at my wife's parent's house I brought up the app and it said "Welcome to the Greenville, Spartanburg, Asheville Market. Local channels are not yet available here", and the networks were blacked out. But, yesterday we were there and it let me play WBTV, WSOC, etc. I also checked out Playstation Vue's lineup the other day after they announced their "sports pack" and they too give my zip code access to the network channels they carry from the Charlotte market.
post #10936 of 10942 Old 08-01-2017, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That happens with us too. If you enter many zip codes on Dish or DirecTV's sites you are asked to pick whether you live in Cherokee County or York County. In this case it appears YouTube TV uses a combination of geolocation and billing zip code, and so they've put us in the "Charlotte" market. What is unusual though is that last Sunday when I was at my wife's parent's house I brought up the app and it said "Welcome to the Greenville, Spartanburg, Asheville Market. Local channels are not yet available here", and the networks were blacked out. But, yesterday we were there and it let me play WBTV, WSOC, etc. I also checked out Playstation Vue's lineup the other day after they announced their "sports pack" and they too give my zip code access to the network channels they carry from the Charlotte market.
What zip code are you using? When I used to have the TiVo Roamio set for antenna channels I used a Gaffney zip code and it provided guide listings for both Charlotte and GSP markets. But now we are using it in place of the Spectrum cable box, and it does not have dual inputs like the Premiere version did.
post #10937 of 10942 Old 08-01-2017, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I'm sorry but I just don't get these new streaming services where they bundle the local channels in the monthly price. If locals were a separate add-on charge then maybe. But it seems that that is not the direction these online streaming services are going. After all this is an OTA forum.

I record my OTA shows on my computer (4 tuners) using NextPVR using an indoor antenna. I have another indoor antenna hooked up to my TV. If there is a cable show I really want to watch then I will buy it on Vudu. Otherwise I will wait and either stream it on Netflix(summer only) or get the DVD from Netflix.
blackcat7 likes this.

Last edited by scJohn; 08-01-2017 at 02:30 PM.
post #10938 of 10942 Old 08-01-2017, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scJohn View Post
I'm sorry but I just don't get these new streaming services where they bundle the local channels in the monthly price. If locals were a separate add-on charge then maybe. But it seems that that is not the direction these online streaming services are going. After all this is an OTA forum.

I record my OTA shows on my computer (4 tuners) using NextPVR using an indoor antenna. I have another indoor antenna hooked up to my TV. If there is a cable show I really want to watch then I will buy it on Vudu. Otherwise I will wait and either stream it on Netflix(summer only) or get the DVD from Netflix.
I use the antenna for local channels from GSP and Charlotte. I use a Roku for certain streaming services to supplement the antenna. But I do watch the live streaming newscasts from WSOC on the Roku because i am just beyond their reception area during the day.
post #10939 of 10942 Old 08-01-2017, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

They are having a WBTV viewer appreciation day at Carowinds next Tuesday and they will be broadcasting live during the day. You can get a discount admission with the WBTV app and meet personalities from the station.
post #10940 of 10942 Old 08-02-2017, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scJohn View Post

Well you have to understand we aren't the target audience for these services. We are willing to go out and buy antennas and DVR+'s, or TiVo's, etc to get DVR capability but we are the minority. Today's younger generation in many cases don't even have real TV sets anymore and they sure aren't going to pay out for a TiVo or DVR+. They want a one stop solution to watch whatever niche they are interested in. For some it is Walking Dead, some it is sports, and others it is HGTV, etc. Now they can get one streaming solution that gives them their local channels for news, and sports in some cases and watch it on their phone, iPad, or whatever mobile device they use.

Incidentally AntennasDirect announced a new "wifi" antenna adapter yesterday too. It will retail for $99 and has one tuner. You connect it to your antenna and can watch programming on your phone or other mobile devices, Roku's, etc.
post #10941 of 10942 Old 08-08-2017, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

WBTV broadcast live from Carowinds today and WSOC was at the golf course.
post #10942 of 10942 Old 08-10-2017, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Just noticed today that Charter has made a change with the Charlotte stations here in Cherokee County. We now get WBTV &WSOC in a letterboxed feed as opposed to the center cut 4:3 versions we had been getting. Maybe there is hope to get them in HD someday?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page