Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 366 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 232Likes

post #10951 of 10976 Old 09-07-2017, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

New to the forum so I apologize if this has been asked a thousand times.

We live in Lake Wylie and have a clear stream 4 on the roof. It's been working pretty good up until a few months ago. Most channels come in great but ABC and Fox have always been weak. In the past few months ABC (WSOC 9.1) has become pretty bad. The sound jumps from high to low and the picture is hit or miss. Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's terrible.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a different / secondary antenna or anything else? I had Greenwave Satellite install the clear stream 4. I believe he has that antenna aimed to pick up ABC and installed another smaller antenna to aim the other direction to pick up the other stations.

So the clear stream is aimed at about 070 degrees.

The small antenna is aimed about 350 degrees.

Also, Looks like there is another ABC antenna over by kings mountain showing up on the antenna web map. Should I try and aim at that one instead?

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10952 of 10976 Old 09-08-2017, 03:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeastieboy View Post
Hello,

We live in Lake Wylie and have a clear stream 4 on the roof. It's been working pretty good up until a few months ago. Most channels come in great but ABC and Fox have always been weak. In the past few months ABC (WSOC 9.1) has become pretty bad. The sound jumps from high to low and the picture is hit or miss. Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's terrible.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a different / secondary antenna or anything else? I had Greenwave Satellite install the clear stream 4. I believe he has that antenna aimed to pick up ABC and installed another smaller antenna to aim the other direction to pick up the other stations.

Also, Looks like there is another ABC antenna over by kings mountain showing up on the antenna web map. Should I try and aim at that one instead?

Thanks for your help!
Call Greenwave up and ask him to come take a look at it, he is a neighbor of mine and he and his wife are great people.

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #10953 of 10976 Old 09-08-2017, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks for your help!
Are you using a preamp? Sometimes they help but perhaps something is overloading. But you should be able to get WSOC both 30 and 34 I would think with the proper set up. But someone more local would have to analyze that. I know parts of York County you can pull in Charlotte, GSP, and Columbia.

post #10954 of 10976 Old 09-08-2017, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I though WSOC did real good job with hurricane coverage on special 4pm newscast. I wish they would do a 4pm newscast everyday and move Dr. Phil back an hour. I think WSB and WFVT have 4pm news but I know that is a local programming decision.
post #10955 of 10976 Old 09-10-2017, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I have been watching the Cox stations on the Roku and they have good streaming news coverage of Hurricane Irma from WSOC, WSB, and WFTV. The Orlando station has real time live streaming coverage of the impact as the storm hits Orlando. Looks like its going a bit more north and is just west of Orlando. Areas between Tampa and Orlando may be hit hard. All the Cox stations do a real good job with their streaming apps, which is the main way I watch WSOC unless the antenna come in at night.
post #10956 of 10976 Old 09-13-2017, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Hello,

Hopefully, Greenwave Satellite has helped you (or is doing so soon) with the resolution of your issue with WSOC from Lake Wylie. I just wanted to say that I used to have a Clear Stream 4 in my former home (in the attic). It was a great antenna (in a somewhat compact size) for a long range antenna.
post #10957 of 10976 Old 09-15-2017, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan237 View Post
Hopefully, Greenwave Satellite has helped you (or is doing so soon) with the resolution of your issue with WSOC from Lake Wylie. I just wanted to say that I used to have a Clear Stream 4 in my former home (in the attic). It was a great antenna (in a somewhat compact size) for a long range antenna.

Thanks for the replies I really appreciate it! I will call greenwave soon. My works schedule has me out of town a lot so I haven't had time to schedule with them. I believe he did end up putting a pre amp on it during the original install, so I will ask him about that. I'll update after the appointment. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10958 of 10976 Old 09-18-2017, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Victor Newman from Young and the Restless was on WBTV morning show today. Apparently he had a book signing and went to the Panthers game on Sunday. He appears to be a Panthers fan and may have friends in Charlotte.
post #10959 of 10976 Old 09-18-2017, 04:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Victor Newman from Young and the Restless was on WBTV morning show today. Apparently he had a book signing and went to the Panthers game on Sunday. He appears to be a Panthers fan and may have friends in Charlotte.
He is just making up for the 7:30am Sunday morning shoot, He was drinking Beer and eating Pizza in the early morning and was too drunk to answer any questions about his book signing and or why he was in Charlotte

post #10960 of 10976 Old 09-18-2017, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't watch soaps, but I know he's been on the Young and the Restless for decades.
post #10961 of 10976 Old 09-19-2017, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post
He is just making up for the 7:30am Sunday morning shoot, He was drinking Beer and eating Pizza in the early morning and was too drunk to answer any questions about his book signing and or why he was in Charlotte
Not only that, does anyone really care?
A J likes this.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #10962 of 10976 Old 09-20-2017, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thumbs up Odd question of the day

This is a little off topic, hope the moderators don't yell at me for this, but its the only place I know to go to get the answer I seek. I have a very geeky question to ask that probably no one left on this planet would even think of asking except for some weirdo like me.

This is for you transmitter guys from yonder analog years. Back a half million years ago when stations signed off at night, in many cases after the National Anthem was played a test pattern was displayed and sometimes along with a test tone. I'm just curious.. When those two items were being transmitted, were YOU expected to be at the transmitter site at that time (midnight?) making adjustments and alignments? If so, what were you aligning for with the test pattern, and what were you aligning for with the test tone? I assume the test pattern probably had something to do with the video part of the transmitter and the test tone was for the audio/FM transmitter. Was it something you had to align using some ancient o-scope to keep the transmitter within FCC specs?

Inquiring strange minds want to know...
ejb1980 likes this.
post #10963 of 10976 Old 09-21-2017, 04:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoone View Post
This is a little off topic, hope the moderators don't yell at me for this, but its the only place I know to go to get the answer I seek. I.
Off topic? Never! Compared to most of the out of market off topic posts here?
That is a long answer Steve..one which I have a bit of experience with. If I get time I'll Pm you.
Ted and Tom have as well.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
post #10964 of 10976 Old 09-21-2017, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I want to know too. Please post answer.
post #10965 of 10976 Old 09-21-2017, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'm out of market, but I want to know the answer, too!
post #10966 of 10976 Old 09-21-2017, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Me too!
post #10967 of 10976 Old 09-21-2017, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retspin View Post
Me too!
Yes, growing up in the 70's, I well remember those test patterns too just before the networks signed off in the early morning hours. Let us know. Interesting question.
post #10968 of 10976 Old 09-22-2017, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok then, when I get time this weekend.

Bob

post #10969 of 10976 Old 09-22-2017, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 74
For me, sometimes yes, sometimes no. We didn't always have programming 24/7. Since in those days we still needed an operator on duty to record feeds that came in overnight, for those few time periods a week, we would just "fly" bars and tone and super a legal ID and the overnight operator would log transmitter readings as normal, but since there was no "programming" or program log, it got logged as maintenance. On the times when actual maintenance was done, usually we actually went off the air because I wasn't putting my hand in a box that had 10,000 volts at 2.5 amps while it was running. That is how you DON'T live to be an old engineer.
Retspin likes this.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
post #10970 of 10976 Old 09-22-2017, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

HA! I knew if I waited long enough Charlie would jump in!

He and I are of "older" vintage, so we have similar experiences.Growing up I'd often see the sign off..and occasionally a sign on..and always wondered what that was all about. And boy did I find out...

I started in 1983 at W3Tv as that overnight guy who takes feeds etc that Charlie mentions.

Back then, there was not a lot of programming available, so the transmitters were "plates off" after the sign off; and then "plates on" at sign on. Only problem with that was it increased the chances of problems at sign on. So shortly after I arrived, new management decided we'd just punch up bars/tone and leave the transmitter on 24/7 for reliability. At stations with a single transmitter,the overnight was when maintenance was done. However, we had a main and backup transmitter, so in reality the maintenance was done during normal work hours for the most part. This was when the "transmitter" was located on Spencer Mountain with a staff of 7 IIRC. Several years after that, the Tall Tower at Dallas was built, and a computer replaced most of the transmitter staff. Along then additional overnight programing and revenue opportunities came along,so it became 24/7 programming.
While I have been to transmitter school,I don't like working with high voltage so I seldom mess with transmitters and leave it to those who are better with RF than I am. In WCCB-DT's case..each of the 3 tubes is fed by 3 phase 480v, which gets stepped up to about 32kv at around 1.2amps or so.
So I'm happy to stay a studio guy and let Charlie go poking around. Most of the new transmitters that will be installed due to the upcoming repack
will be solid state.
Retspin likes this.

Bob

post #10971 of 10976 Old 09-24-2017, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for some assistance in OTA Reception and Antenna choice. I'm south of Charlotte in the Waxhaw (28173) area and have two blocks of transmitters I'm trying to pick up, one batch about 20 miles away due north (0-6 degrees) and another batch about 40 miles to the northwest (320 degrees). Here's the TVFool Signal Report from my location.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4e2df752db8

So here's my current setup, and I'll try to be as detailed as possible, so sorry for the long post

I've currently got two antennas mounted in my attic, which is about 25-30' above ground level. The both do have to punch through an exterior wall of plywood and vinyl siding, and then across the street there are some 40-50' tall trees, but there's nothing else blocking LoS. The first antenna is an Antennas Direct Clearstream 4 that is pointing at the 20 mile transmitters at approximately 0 degrees. The second antenna is an Antennas Direct DB4e that is pointed at the 40 mile transmitters at about 320 degrees.

Out of each I have 4' Coax feeding into a ChannelPlus 5-1000 MHz Combiner. Then from the Combiner a single 4' coax feeds into an Antennas Direct CPA-19 Pre-Amplifier. Then from the Pre-amp I've got about a 50' foot coax run that runs out of the house and down to RF IN port on a Viewsonics VSMA-608C whole house Amplifier/Splitter installed by Time Warner back in the day. From here, there's 6 home runs going out various rooms in the house. I've got all those home runs terminated except for one that is feeding a Tivo Roamio OTA on the lower level. (I have tried to take the VSMA-608C out of the mix by directly connecting the 50' antenna coax to the Tivo Home Run, but didn't get any better results.)

All that being said, while I'm able to pick up just about everything to the North and Northwest, the strongest signal I'm able to get on any channel is a signal strength of 72 out of 100 on any of the channels on the Tivo. Some channels (Fox in particular) aren't coming in very well at all. I'm primarily concerned with UHF channels, so, my question is, am I pretty much doing the best I can? Is there a better antenna/amplifier setup that I might be able to try? I've seen a few that seem to have 5-15 more dB gain than the two I already have. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

Last edited by MeatballB; 09-24-2017 at 12:39 PM.
post #10972 of 10976 Old 09-24-2017, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Charlotte, NC - OTA

You’re likely really overpowering the signals at only 40 miles with both the preamp and amplifier. Have you tried just using one of the antennas and seeing if you can pick up the 20 mile stations off the backside of the antenna pointed at the 40 mile location? You likely are picking up some signal on both antennas from both sets of stations and by combining them together you’re creating noise and interference. I have an 8 bay antenna pointed at Charlotte but pick up the GSP stations reasonably well off the back side and they are 60-70 miles away. I’d try one antenna without the pre-amp first and see what you get without it and the amplifier. It might take some trial and error but I think you will find one antenna will serve your needs

Also there is a bug with the TiVo Roamio OTA that causes it to max out in the 70s in some cases. So if yours says 72 you likely have full signal and are really overpowering it
post #10973 of 10976 Old 09-24-2017, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalmer2k View Post
You’re likely really overpowering the signals at only 40 miles with both the preamp and amplifier. Have you tried just using one of the antennas and seeing if you can pick up the 20 mile stations off the backside of the antenna pointed at the 40 mile location? You likely are picking up some signal on both antennas from both sets of stations and by combining them together you’re creating noise and interference. I have an 8 bay antenna pointed at Charlotte but pick up the GSP stations reasonably well off the back side and they are 60-70 miles away. I’d try one antenna without the pre-amp first and see what you get without it and the amplifier. It might take some trial and error but I think you will find one antenna will serve your needs

Also there is a bug with the TiVo Roamio OTA that causes it to max out in the 70s in some cases. So if yours says 72 you likely have full signal and are really overpowering it
Thanks! I'll climb up into the attic when I get a chance and try to go with a single antenna without the pre-amp and see how things go.
post #10974 of 10976 Old 09-24-2017, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatballB View Post
Looking for some assistance in OTA Reception and Antenna choice. I'm south of Charlotte in the Waxhaw (28173) area and have two blocks of transmitters I'm trying to pick up, one batch about 20 miles away due north (0-6 degrees) and another batch about 40 miles to the northwest (320 degrees). Here's the TVFool Signal Report from my location.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4e2df752db8

So here's my current setup, and I'll try to be as detailed as possible, so sorry for the long post

I've currently got two antennas mounted in my attic, which is about 25-30' above ground level. The both do have to punch through an exterior wall of plywood and vinyl siding, and then across the street there are some 40-50' tall trees, but there's nothing else blocking LoS. The first antenna is an Antennas Direct Clearstream 4 that is pointing at the 20 mile transmitters at approximately 0 degrees. The second antenna is an Antennas Direct DB4e that is pointed at the 40 mile transmitters at about 320 degrees.

Out of each I have 4' Coax feeding into a ChannelPlus 5-1000 MHz Combiner. Then from the Combiner a single 4' coax feeds into an Antennas Direct CPA-19 Pre-Amplifier. Then from the Pre-amp I've got about a 50' foot coax run that runs out of the house and down to RF IN port on a Viewsonics VSMA-608C whole house Amplifier/Splitter installed by Time Warner back in the day. From here, there's 6 home runs going out various rooms in the house. I've got all those home runs terminated except for one that is feeding a Tivo Roamio OTA on the lower level. (I have tried to take the VSMA-608C out of the mix by directly connecting the 50' antenna coax to the Tivo Home Run, but didn't get any better results.)

All that being said, while I'm able to pick up just about everything to the North and Northwest, the strongest signal I'm able to get on any channel is a signal strength of 72 out of 100 on any of the channels on the Tivo. Some channels (Fox in particular) aren't coming in very well at all. I'm primarily concerned with UHF channels, so, my question is, am I pretty much doing the best I can? Is there a better antenna/amplifier setup that I might be able to try? I've seen a few that seem to have 5-15 more dB gain than the two I already have. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!
Combining the 2 antennas may be causing problems. Try one antenna and see if that works better. When combining 2 antennas, it is best to have 2 of the same model antenna and equal lengths of cable going into the combiner. And as mentioned there may be overload issues with the preamp. Perhaps remove the one of the amplifiers and see if that helps. Use the preamp at the antenna and try a regular splitter in place of the Time Warner amp. Too much amp can cause problems. And sometimes the attic or roof may block signals. But the TiVo full strength will be 72% and that can be misleading.
post #10975 of 10976 Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post
HA! I knew if I waited long enough Charlie would jump in!

So I'm happy to stay a studio guy and let Charlie go poking around. Most of the new transmitters that will be installed due to the upcoming repack
will be solid state.
35kV was not my favorite thing to do either. I did it, but never a fan of it. Nor when the old VHF's and FM's ran 10kV either. With those voltage level all it did was burn you a little when you had instant death. The 35kV would want to evaporate you as it instantly killed you.

Got two solid states now. One main. One back up. You may have seen the main one in TV Technology a couple of months ago. 50V at 24A. I can arch weld anything!
Daryl L likes this.

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers. "Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"
post #10976 of 10976 Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Combining the 2 antennas may be causing problems. Try one antenna and see if that works better. When combining 2 antennas, it is best to have 2 of the same model antenna and equal lengths of cable going into the combiner. And as mentioned there may be overload issues with the preamp. Perhaps remove the one of the amplifiers and see if that helps. Use the preamp at the antenna and try a regular splitter in place of the Time Warner amp. Too much amp can cause problems. And sometimes the attic or roof may block signals. But the TiVo full strength will be 72% and that can be misleading.
This not correct information tylersc, two antennas of the same type is a must when stacking to receive signals in one direction. I have used 7 different antenna types in all different directions and have never had a problem. The ops main issue is attic reception with antennas place there, 2nd is more likely over amplification which is hurting the C/N. I would recommend the pre-amp only. It has close to 18db of gain which is enough to cover splitter and cable loss.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page