Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 367 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 233Likes

post #10981 of 10985 Old 10-09-2017, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by eacalhoun View Post
Probably why the WSOC/WCCB translator (Valdese) is off on this Sunday evening - hope there's not more damage than a simple power outage. This photo is looking SE toward Coldwater St (access to Smith Mountain) from the intersection of US 70 and Malcolm Blvd in Rutherford College.
Yea they had tornadoes and power outages up there. Hopefully all has been restored.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10982 of 10985 Old 10-15-2017, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Problems with WJZY

Has anyone else been having problems with WJZY 46.1 FOX (RF Channel 47) over the last few months? The signal I am getting at my house is very unstable. It bounces all over the place, peaking in the 90s but also dropping down into the 20s. It is a continuously bouncing and not something that happens occasionally. End result is when I am watching the channel I get constant breakups. I get all other channels from both the Gastonia and Concord antenna farms with no problems and with stable signals. My setup is a large 8 bay antenna in my attic with a ChannelMaster 7777 preamp at the antenna and a ChannelMaster distribution amp in my wiring closet. I am in the Ballantyne area about 27 miles from the broadcast antenna in Gastonia. I also use to receive this station for 8 years with no issues. The issue only started to occur in the last few months.
post #10983 of 10985 Old 10-15-2017, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojma View Post
Has anyone else been having problems with WJZY 46.1 FOX (RF Channel 47) over the last few months? The signal I am getting at my house is very unstable. It bounces all over the place, peaking in the 90s but also dropping down into the 20s. It is a continuously bouncing and not something that happens occasionally. End result is when I am watching the channel I get constant breakups. I get all other channels from both the Gastonia and Concord antenna farms with no problems and with stable signals. My setup is a large 8 bay antenna in my attic with a ChannelMaster 7777 preamp at the antenna and a ChannelMaster distribution amp in my wiring closet. I am in the Ballantyne area about 27 miles from the broadcast antenna in Gastonia. I also use to receive this station for 8 years with no issues. The issue only started to occur in the last few months.
I would guess perhaps the CM-7777 preamp may be overpowering and causing the problems. Especially if it is the new version with 30db gain. And perhaps new cell phone towers or FM translator stations have signed on recently and that may be causing more overload issues and dropouts. But just a guess. A better preamp may be the Juice from Antennas Direct as it has a more reasonable 19db gain and is designed to resist overload. And the new Amplify from Channel Master has adjustable gain of 17db or 30db which gives more flexibility. But with your current 7777 amp be sure the FM trap is set on, and perhaps add external FM and LTE filters. Or there could be some other localized interference that a closer source may have a better idea what the problem may be.

post #10984 of 10985 Old 10-16-2017, 01:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

WSOC has upgraded the weather graphics on the radar and temperature maps.
post #10985 of 10985 Old 10-16-2017, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
I would guess perhaps the CM-7777 preamp may be overpowering and causing the problems. Especially if it is the new version with 30db gain. And perhaps new cell phone towers or FM translator stations have signed on recently and that may be causing more overload issues and dropouts. But just a guess. A better preamp may be the Juice from Antennas Direct as it has a more reasonable 19db gain and is designed to resist overload. And the new Amplify from Channel Master has adjustable gain of 17db or 30db which gives more flexibility. But with your current 7777 amp be sure the FM trap is set on, and perhaps add external FM and LTE filters. Or there could be some other localized interference that a closer source may have a better idea what the problem may be.
Well if the preamp was overpowering, that would not explain why it worked fine for 8 years. I bought CM-7777 preamp nearly 9 years ago so it's not the new version. I think its gain is something like 22db? I purposely have the FM trap set to off because I have one feed connected to an FM tuner. However I rarely use it so I may try to turn it on to see what happens. I will also look at getting some filters.
eacalhoun likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page