32Likes

post #91 of 8213 Old 05-30-2004, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by sengsational
...it seems like there's always a burp or two in each airing of the show; I don't think I've ever seen a 'perfect' HD Enterprise. These are typically just a black spot (not the typical pixilization that comes with marginal signal)

You're right, Dale. Every time I've watched Enterprise in HD there's been a brief blackout or two, then it would recover. I thought that's what was happening Wednesday night, but when it didn't come back (and after my short expletive burst), I decided to go to the SD broadcast to watch the rest. It's gotta be a problem at the station (or UPN itself) vs. my antenna, 'cause usually I get an 89 or better signal from WJZY, so it shouldn't be dropping out. Usually I don't get dropouts until I drop below 60 or so.

Charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 8213 Old 05-30-2004, 10:31 AM

Charter HD Does anyone have it yet?
I just got it hooked up and I wonder what channels you get in HD.
Most of the HD channels are great, but WCCB,WBTV,WCNC, ESPND look bad. Is it that they are not showing HD programming or are these channels not HD. I am also unimpressed with the quaility of WCNC's French Open.

I just wonder if I do not have my settings correct.

Thanks

P.S Does anyone know where I can pick a copy of DVE or AVIA localy.

I live in hickry but work in Charlotte, NC
post #93 of 8213 Old 05-31-2004, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hickory
Charter HD Does anyone have it yet?

That sounds like a cable provider. You might get better results on this thread.

With respect to local availability for those video 'tools', I can't say.

--Dale--
post #94 of 8213 Old 06-10-2004, 07:14 AM

Is anyone having trouble picking up ABC ota? After the storm the other night, I get 90-95 signal strength but no picture. All other ota and Directv HD stations come in fine.
post #95 of 8213 Old 06-10-2004, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Those of you in the area with Samsung STB's should visit the following site
regarding a software upgrade. This should prevent any problems from occurring with an upcoming upgrade to the WCCB PSIP Generator:

http://www.samsungusa.com/stb_upgrade/

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #96 of 8213 Old 06-10-2004, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteoakct
Is anyone having trouble picking up ABC ota? After the storm the other night, I get 90-95 signal strength but no picture. All other ota and Directv HD stations come in fine.

It's fine for me at the moment. Can't say I've watched much TV in the past few evenings, though, so wouldn't have noticed if ABC was having issues.

--Dale--
post #97 of 8213 Old 06-10-2004, 09:17 PM

Quote:

Yes, Channel 9 has something screwed up. I can get their OTA Digital HD broadcast on the actual channel (34) but it will no longer map to 9.1.

I have no clue as to what is their problem.....
post #98 of 8213 Old 06-12-2004, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hornmdt
Yes, Channel 9 has something screwed up. I can get their OTA Digital HD broadcast on the actual channel (34) but it will no longer map to 9.1.

That would explain why I don't see a problem. My tuner has a mode to scan and collect data (virtual channel numbers, call signs, etc ) from the transport stream, but it keeps a persistant mapping (it's a PC tuner board, so this data is kept on the hard drive). I haven't run the scan for many moons.
--Dale--
post #99 of 8213 Old 06-13-2004, 05:11 PM

OK....I just got back in town and was hoping magically it would be fixed before the NBA finals game 4 tonight. Nope. I did a channel scan on both my HD receivers and on one it indicated that it was picking up signal strength on channel 34-1, not 9-1 like it used to. So after the scan was done on both receivers, lo and behold, I am now getting the feed on 34-1 loud and clear.

Anyone know what's up with that (not that I care since I'm getting a signal...just curious)?
post #100 of 8213 Old 06-13-2004, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Anyone know what's up with that (not that I care since I'm getting a signal...just curious)?

Local broadcasters, networks, and broadcast equipment manufacturers are all learning to be senders of digital content. There are many 'bugs' in the transport streams in the Charlotte OTA spectrum; everyone is supposed to follow the spec, but sometimes they don't. Welcome to the bleeding edge...

--Dale--
post #101 of 8213 Old 06-13-2004, 06:40 PM

Hello all - I will be moving to Cornelius, NC which is north of Charlotte, near Huntersville. Since the area is new I am weighing all my options.

I see that many are using Direct TV recievers that also get local OTA HD. Anyone near cornelius? How is reception on the OTA HD?
post #102 of 8213 Old 06-14-2004, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CougerofEQ
Hello all - I will be moving to Cornelius, NC which is north of Charlotte, near Huntersville. Since the area is new I am weighing all my options.

I see that many are using Direct TV recievers that also get local OTA HD. Anyone near cornelius? How is reception on the OTA HD?

Welcome to the area, and to the thread! I would go on www.antennaweb.org, put in your proposed new zip code, and see what it looks like. I just did that, and found that the antenna recommendation for 28031 was very similar to my zip code (28269). You have the same problem I have... a cluster of stations over on King's Mountain, and another cluster in Charlotte (90 degrees apart). If your hardware has two OTA antenna ports, get two antennas, and forget the rotor!

If you look at the beginning of this thread, I think you will find a list of stations that I get. Broadcast engineers I've spoken with said I was in a UHF 'hotspot', but my house is in a low spot. I have got an amplified rooftop antenna.

--Dale--
post #103 of 8213 Old 06-15-2004, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Couger, Welcome..here's some info that may help you with your antenna aiming:

WBTV,WCNC,WJZY,WWWB are all located off HWY321 above Dallas..
WCCB,WSOC,WAXN,WTVI are located off Harris Blvd near UNCC,
with WUNG over towards Concord..

Hope this helps!

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #104 of 8213 Old 06-16-2004, 11:52 AM

I live in Cornelius and get excellent reception of every one of the local channels' digital signal. I think the only one that is not yet broadcasting in DTV is channel 30 and I don't know what that channel is all about. Directv sends it to me as part of the local TV package but I never watch it. I only subscribe to the Directv locals for my non HD TVs throughout the house.

Anyway, I just have a small Channel Master Stealth antenna with the included amplifier mounted in my attic with no rotor (It's so small I could have mounted it under an eave of the house). I just point it straight toward downtown Charlotte, which is kinda splitting the difference between the two areas from where the local signals are broadcast and get between an 80-90+ signal on all of them. The Concord one is the weakest but I still get it without any breakups.

Now if Channel 9 WSOC would just fix their DTV channel so it maps properly. It currently maps to digital channel 34.1, which is the UHF channel it is broadcast on but it should map to digital channel 9.1. I've had my antenna up for about a year and WSOC has always mapped properly until the last couple of weeks.

And CougerofEQ, welcome to Cornelius!!
post #105 of 8213 Old 06-16-2004, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Channel 30, WNSC Rock Hill, I have heard is broadcasting at VERY low power. But don't take that as gospel.

Bob

post #106 of 8213 Old 06-16-2004, 01:35 PM

Liked: 11
ya bob theyre broadcasting, probably using a 9volt battery. I'm getting a signal from the upper 40's to low 50's. I can only get a reliable signal at night.
post #107 of 8213 Old 06-16-2004, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jmccurrytech
ya bob theyre broadcasting, probably using a 9volt battery. I'm getting a signal from the upper 40's to low 50's. I can only get a reliable signal at night.

The fcc site http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/audio/tvq.html says this:

Licensee: SOUTH CAROLINA EDUCATIONAL TV COMMISSION
Service Designation: DT Digital television station

Channel: 15 476 - 482 MHz Construction Permit
File No.: BPEDT-20000501AHV Facility ID number: 61009
CDBS Application ID No.: 502080

34° 50' 23.00" N Latitude 81° 01' 6.00 " W Longitude (NAD 27)

Polarization: Horizontal (H) Effective Radiated Power (ERP): 50. kW ERP Antenna Height Above Average Terrain: 209. meters HAAT Antenna Height Above Mean Sea Level: 383. meters AMSL Antenna Height Above Ground Level: 188. meters AGL

They are broadcasting 1/3 of what WUNG is:

Licensee: UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA

Channel: 44 650 - 656 MHz Licensed
File No.: BLEDT-20010814ABF Facility ID number: 69124
CDBS Application ID No.: 578092

35° 21' 30.00" N Latitude 80° 36' 37.00" W Longitude (NAD 27)

Polarization: Horizontal (H) Effective Radiated Power (ERP): 150. kW ERP Antenna Height Above Average Terrain: 404. meters HAAT Antenna Height Above Mean Sea Level: 596. meters AMSL Antenna Height Above Ground Level: 403. meters AGL

Edit: 6/17

I stand corrected...WCCB digital puts-out 20 times the power of the SC PBS station:

Licensee: NORTH CAROLINA BROADCASTING PARTNERS

Channel: 27 548 - 554 MHz Licensed
File No.: BLCDT-20020227AAZ Facility ID number: 49157
CDBS Application ID No.: 595738

35° 16' 1.00 " N Latitude 80° 44' 5.00 " W Longitude (NAD 27)

Polarization: Horizontal (H) Effective Radiated Power (ERP): 1000. kW ERP Antenna Height Above Average Terrain: 368. meters HAAT Antenna Height Above Mean Sea Level: 576. meters AMSL Antenna Height Above Ground Level: 338. meters AGL

Below I offered a non-apples to apples by pasting data on the analog transmitter.

End Edit

They put out about 1/42 of what WCCB is putting out!!

Licensee: NORTH CAROLINA BROADCASTING PARTNERS
Service Designation: TV NTSC (analog) television station

Channel: 18 494 - 500 MHz Licensed
File No.: BLCT-791128LG Facility ID number: 49157
CDBS Application ID No.: 143054

35° 16' 1.00 " N Latitude 80° 44' 5.00 " W Longitude (NAD 27)

Polarization: Effective Radiated Power (ERP): 2090. kW ERP Antenna Height Above Average Terrain: 389. meters HAAT Antenna Height Above Mean Sea Level: 581. meters AMSL
post #108 of 8213 Old 06-17-2004, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Those are for the analog not the digital.. WCCB-DT is on Channel 27
at 1 megawatt ERP..which is the maximum ERP for any digital..

Bob

post #109 of 8213 Old 06-21-2004, 10:01 AM

I would agree that the digital version of channel 30 (I think they digitally broadcast on ch 15) is weak. I get every local digital channel very strong but do not get that one. I even pick up some digital channels from Winston-Salem and also the Greenville-Spartanburg area but no cigar on the Rock Hill channel.

BTW, for future reference, if anyone needs to contact the ABC affiliate WSOC, Jerry Black is the guy (jerry.black@wsoc-tv.com). I sent in an email into the general email bucket letting them know that their digital signal was no longer mapping correctly. Within a day I got an email back from Mr. Black stating that my concerns were found to be valid and that their PSIP generator had to be rebooted. The channel mapping is now correct.
post #110 of 8213 Old 06-21-2004, 04:28 PM

Liked: 11
Hey Bob, it's kind of funny, I can get a stronger signal at night from WOLO-DT than I can from WNSC-DT!
post #111 of 8213 Old 06-21-2004, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks!
But that isn't funny, it's by design! But don't tell Hap Griffin @ SCETV that!
That lil' ol transmitter at WOLO with 43kw erp "walks-the dog"..

I just wish I could get it here in Mint Hill, too close to WGHP..

How does what we do compare with WSOC-DT?

For fun sometime, watch WCCB from 10-11pm, then WOLO-DT @ 11pm..

Bob

post #112 of 8213 Old 06-21-2004, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally posted by bdfox18doe
I just wish I could get it here in Mint Hill, too close to WGHP.

Aw! Sorry to hear about it!

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
post #113 of 8213 Old 06-22-2004, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by foxeng
Aw! Sorry to hear about it!

Yea, probably even more sorry that I never watch it !

Bob

post #114 of 8213 Old 06-23-2004, 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by hornmdt...
I sent in an email into the general email bucket letting them [WSOC] know that their digital signal was no longer mapping correctly. Within a day I got an email back from [them] stating that my concerns were found to be valid and that their PSIP generator had to be rebooted. The channel mapping is now correct.

I tried WSOC-DT last night on 9-1, and got no video signal, and audio was just a few sporadic blips of what sounded like the actual show. I then went to 34-1, and got no signal at all. Should I re-run my channel mapping on my OTA TV? I hesitate to do that because it picks up a lot of bogus, non-HD channels that I have to then go filter out one-by-one. BTW, I'm getting a signal strength of 92 on 9-1, so it's not the antenna.
post #115 of 8213 Old 06-23-2004, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Spoke with WSOC today, they are aware and working on the problems.

Bob

post #116 of 8213 Old 06-25-2004, 10:48 PM

Thanks for the advice
post #117 of 8213 Old 06-28-2004, 07:15 AM

OK, now I'm getting a little ticked off. Last night (Sun. 6/27), not only could I still not receive WSOC's DT signal, but both WBTV and WCNC had their normally HD broadcast shows (Cold Case, Law & Order) in 4:3 SD! Is there some issue with summer re-runs that they can't be broadcast in HD or something? The only saving grace was Soundstage on PBS, which was showing an awesome HD broadcast of a Sheryl Crow concert. Both the show and Ms. Crow were quite easy on the eyes....
post #118 of 8213 Old 06-28-2004, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

WSOC is working on the problem, they did a software upgrade to their encoder, which has created some problems.

Bob

post #119 of 8213 Old 06-28-2004, 11:48 AM

Do you know if that's affecting everyone, or just certain OTA decoders. Haven't heard a whole lot of screaming about it. And is this happening on cable as well?
post #120 of 8213 Old 06-28-2004, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Cable should not be affected, and it doesn't affect all OTA receivers..
My Sony 300,RCA 100,and Sylvania 3000 are fine, I haven't checked the others we have. They did a software upgrade from the MFG, other stations
that use the flexicoder and the new version of code have apparrently had some issues as well with certain STB's..

Bob

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page