Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 75Likes

post #1171 of 9118 Old 10-10-2006, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yea I have no signal for WSOC TV tonight. I guess I am not the only one. That is good to know I just bought a Zenith Silver Sensor which is supposedly one of the best antennas out there and I was thinking it was messed up too. Glad to know it works fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 9118 Old 10-10-2006, 07:48 PM

I am glad to know it isn't just me. I hate getting up on the roof.
post #1173 of 9118 Old 10-10-2006, 07:59 PM

It better be fixed before Lost tomorrow night!
post #1174 of 9118 Old 10-10-2006, 08:01 PM

According to the news desk, a transformer was damaged in an accident so they are operating without power for the actual hdtv transmitter, but they are "working on it" with no eta.

Apparently they are operating their NTSC transmitter.
post #1175 of 9118 Old 10-10-2006, 08:14 PM

Yea NTSC is coming through from them fine.
post #1176 of 9118 Old 10-11-2006, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
WSOC: Mine was out also. Blank screen "Searching for Antenna" during Boston Legal. Agree, I hope they fix before Lost - the one show I watch live with commercials. Don't think their advertisers would be happy losing the 5 viewers in my household.

WCCB: Still getting the occasional 5 or 6 second audio gap in FOX programming via HD-Tivo.

WBTV: Apparently WBTV has decided to air the Miami/NYJ game instead of the Steeler game on Sunday (both HD). With all the Pittsburghers in Charlotte plus all the other Steeler fans, I hope they reconsider. Here's the link to the NFL maps:
NFL Week 6 - Television Coverage Maps
post #1177 of 9118 Old 10-12-2006, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beakerlene View Post

Did anyone hear an odd echo while watching Heros last night?

Yeah I heard it.

Effing annoying. I just got my OTA stuff setup 1 PCI Tuner in a PC & One STB Tuner into a ReplayTV. Both had the echo, did ya notice how the commercials were fine .

While I certainly would not call myself bleeding edge last night it felt like it. How often does crap like this happen in the HD OTA realm???

I was actually recording Heroes 3 fold last night. Luckily the Bedroom ReplayTV recorded it off of Time Warner - So I got to enjoy it in SD.
post #1178 of 9118 Old 10-15-2006, 05:55 AM

I just added the dish vip622 and scanned for ota locals to go with my media center pc and couldn't get abc. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who can't get it, as I was worried that adding the 622 somehow screwed something up. I added an 8way cahnnelmaster splitter to compensate for the now 3 splits that I'm making in the signal. I got an 8 way as an upgrade path for the future, like another tuner in the pc.
Currently 1 to pc, 1 to 622, and 1 to denon3805 fm.
I second that abc should be back up in time for Lost wednesday.

I gotta have more cowbell, Baby!
------------------------------------------
When all else fails, reboot.
post #1179 of 9118 Old 10-15-2006, 06:01 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
You must have a different issue. WSOC was back up and running sometime prior to Lost last Wednesday.
post #1180 of 9118 Old 10-15-2006, 07:13 PM

Stupid WSOC, Desperate Housewives isn't in HD tonight.
post #1181 of 9118 Old 10-16-2006, 03:11 AM

Hmmm, maybe it's my splitter? It's weird that I would loose 1 cahnnel. Another weird thing is that my media center pc has lost fox. But only my media center pc, not the dish box. Wednesday when I get off work, I'm going to try raising the antenna another 10 or 15 feet. I'm considering using the 2 antennas I have, one pointing at 1 farm, and the other pointing at the second and just having each box record the channels it's pointing towards instead of splitting the difference. Though it means I might need to get another amp for that.
This free over the air stuff gets expensive.

post #1182 of 9118 Old 10-18-2006, 08:53 AM

Anyone notice the crackling and popping noises on the surrounds during The Unit on WBTV HD last night? It sounded almost like static and was very irritating.
post #1183 of 9118 Old 10-18-2006, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by netconcepts View Post

Anyone notice the crackling and popping noises on the surrounds during The Unit on WBTV HD last night? It sounded almost like static and was very irritating.

yea..same here via OTA..it was quite annoying..

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, MeTv, or AntennaTv; my employer; or its parent company.
Nor my wife for that matter!
post #1184 of 9118 Old 10-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
CSI Miami had the same issue.

Xbox Live: IamVertigo
PSN: IamVertigo
post #1185 of 9118 Old 10-18-2006, 08:35 PM

I recently found these forums and think that there is a lot of great information here.

I was watching the news on WSOC today and noticed all of the widescreen monitors on their brand new set. I went to their web site and read the story about their new set.

There is a slide show. The caption on one of the pictures reads :

"The Eyewitness News set is designed to be ready for high definition broadcasting, which WSOC-TV plans to launch in early 2007."

If you go to wsoctv (sorry I am too new to post a link) and click on the new set story about halfway down the right side, and then click on the October 2006 slide show you can see for yourself on slide #9.

With WCNC's new set I would guess that they will be in high definition soon themselves.
post #1186 of 9118 Old 10-18-2006, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

I noticed that they moved over to the news room for about a week on WCNC, now they are back on a set, but I think I like the old set better. Even though they havn't even really shown much of the new set.

I'm a WCNC fan, but if any other station goes HD first, I'll tune in to that one instead.

post #1187 of 9118 Old 10-19-2006, 05:15 AM

Is WSOC back up to full power with their replacement HD transmitter? If I don't go through a splitter and plug everything in exactly the way it was before i got my 622, I get WSOC in at a very low signal with a lot of stuttering and blinking in and out. As I get FOX at a pretty strong 89%, and CBS and NBC at 99-100%, shouldn't WSOC come in at about the same strength as fox? I think I'm still going to have one antenna pointing to fox/abc and the other to nbc/cbs going to the 2 different recorders. The 8 way amp/splitter I got just makes the signal worse. I loose some channels all together. Just a regular non-amplified 2 way works better.

post #1188 of 9118 Old 10-19-2006, 08:35 PM

Anyone get any popping during Grey's Anatomy tonight on WSOC? It was pretty much present every minute or so during the episode.
post #1189 of 9118 Old 10-20-2006, 12:36 PM

Liked: 17
For the WSOC slideshow, go here:

http://www.wsoctv.com/station/9675400/detail.html

and click on "SLIDESHOW: Eyewitness News' New Set - October 2006"
post #1190 of 9118 Old 10-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimiThing1 View Post

Anyone get any popping during Grey's Anatomy tonight on WSOC? It was pretty much present every minute or so during the episode.

Yes, just as you described.

post #1191 of 9118 Old 10-23-2006, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is anyone else here watching the remastered Star Trek (original series) on WJZY? I've noticed some waviness in vertical lines (like the sides of a door) and was wondering whether it's a problem with my HD receiver or with the signal sent out by the station.

If it were an analog broadcast I'd think it was probably interference from another station, but interference doesn't affect digital signals in this fashion, as far as I know.
post #1192 of 9118 Old 10-23-2006, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

Is anyone else here watching the remastered Star Trek (original series) on WJZY? I've noticed some waviness in vertical lines (like the sides of a door) and was wondering whether it's a problem with my HD receiver or with the signal sent out by the station.

If it were an analog broadcast I'd think it was probably interference from another station, but interference doesn't affect digital signals in this fashion, as far as I know.

Watching it on the SD OTA (WJZY 46-2) channel the only thing I can observe is that the CGI graphics do not fit well into the old style film episodes. It all looks gerry rigged. Seeing a high warp star field projection on the bridge view screen was really weird because that screen was infinitely better quality than the rest of the set, it was almost out of place.
post #1193 of 9118 Old 10-24-2006, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've been watching the upconverted version on the HD subchannel (46.1). Didn't think to look at 46.2. I'll try to remember to check that out next weekend.
post #1194 of 9118 Old 10-24-2006, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

The recordings came to me "by accident" since I've got anything matching "Star Trek*" getting recorded (by default it's pulled from the HD subchannel). My original thought was to just delete the accidental recordings, but I've been watching (THEN deleting them) with my wife, and having a great time with it. I had (have) them on Beta(!), and way back when, my future bride and I used to watch 'em. Ahh, the old days, BK.

About the up conversion, yes, I have seen some artifacts as you describe; I doubt it's your system unless it spans to other shows. The artifacts were not bad, but noticable a few times. The last one I watched I didn't notice any, but I might just be getting used to it. I'll never get used to the banner crap they overlay occasionally.

--Dale--
post #1195 of 9118 Old 11-01-2006, 11:34 AM

Hey all!

I'm new to the DTV world so forgive me if I say something n00bish. Thought I would contribute to this thread here.

It's been exactly one month since I got my new TV, a Westinghouse 37w2, and it's been enjoyable thus far. I live in Rock Hill, SC at Brookstone Apartments. It's right off Mt. Gallant in between Cherry Rd and 161. I have a second story apartment facing NW. I have a RS antenna pole that I ziptied to the balcony to put my antenna on.

The first antenna I bought was a Radioshack 15-2186 for fifty bucks. It performed remarkably well. It comes with a 20db amplifier. The key to this antenna is to rotate it sideways. When standing straight up it has a very limited range but turning it ninety-degrees and positing it seemed to work wonders.

Then I tried some Channel Master antenna from Lowes. It was awful - stay away.

Then I tried Radioshack's 15-2160 UHF antenna. It worked allright but the smaller antenna actually outperforms it, especially since the regular antenna doesn't come with an amp.

So with my small Radioshack antenna pointed West, I pick up 3, 4, 7, 9, 13, 18, 21, 36, 46, 55, 58 and 62. Those are virtual channels and I believe they are:

3-WBTV (CBS)
4-Greenville NBC
7-Greenville ABC
9-WSOC (ABC)
13-? Don't know but they have some music channel call The Tube
18-WCCB (FOX)
21-Fox Carolina (Greenville Fox?)
36-WCNC (NBC)
46-WJZY
55-WMYT
58-UNC
62-??? (Can't recall the callsign or affiliation off the top of my head)

If I rotate my antenna more north, I lose all the greenville stations but pick up WAXN. I was thinking I wanted to install a second one of these, but justifying fifty bucks for one station is tough just so I can watch South Park. I also have Comporium cable as well so it's not a huge deal.

In order to increase the stability of the distant channels, I hooked up a set-top antenna behind the TV (Radioshack 15-1878) completely unpowered and with the VHF elements folded down and then put in a combiner. Helped a little.

I was thinking of getting the Omnidirectional antenna RS sells. Does anyone in the area have any experience with it?
post #1196 of 9118 Old 11-01-2006, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxor View Post

I was thinking of getting the Omnidirectional antenna RS sells. Does anyone in the area have any experience with it?

Welcome aboard. I'm amazed you're getting Greenville from Rock Hill. Gaining stability for far distant stations might be a challenge. I like the thinking outside of the box with the antenna orientation. I guess the broadcast signals must not be strictly horizontal. Your balcony set-up reminds me of when I had a 6 foot dish on my patio... on wheels. I just put the wheels on some tape I put on the floor and I could home in on any bird in the southern sky. I would be surprised if you could improve on your distant station reception with an omnidirectional antenna since they usually have lower dB ratings than the directional ones. But hey, don't let me slow down your experimentation!

Maybe someone else has some direct experience with the omnidirectional RS antenna.

--Dale--
post #1197 of 9118 Old 11-02-2006, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxor View Post

Hey all!

I'm new to the DTV world so forgive me if I say something n00bish. Thought I would contribute to this thread here.

It's been exactly one month since I got my new TV, a Westinghouse 37w2, and it's been enjoyable thus far. I live in Rock Hill, SC at Brookstone Apartments. It's right off Mt. Gallant in between Cherry Rd and 161. I have a second story apartment facing NW. I have a RS antenna pole that I ziptied to the balcony to put my antenna on.

The first antenna I bought was a Radioshack 15-2186 for fifty bucks. It performed remarkably well. It comes with a 20db amplifier. The key to this antenna is to rotate it sideways. When standing straight up it has a very limited range but turning it ninety-degrees and positing it seemed to work wonders.

Then I tried some Channel Master antenna from Lowes. It was awful - stay away.

Then I tried Radioshack's 15-2160 UHF antenna. It worked allright but the smaller antenna actually outperforms it, especially since the regular antenna doesn't come with an amp.

So with my small Radioshack antenna pointed West, I pick up 3, 4, 7, 9, 13, 18, 21, 36, 46, 55, 58 and 62. Those are virtual channels and I believe they are:

3-WBTV (CBS)
4-Greenville NBC
7-Greenville ABC
9-WSOC (ABC)
13-? Don't know but they have some music channel call The Tube
18-WCCB (FOX)
21-Fox Carolina (Greenville Fox?)
36-WCNC (NBC)
46-WJZY
55-WMYT
58-UNC
62-??? (Can't recall the callsign or affiliation off the top of my head)

If I rotate my antenna more north, I lose all the greenville stations but pick up WAXN. I was thinking I wanted to install a second one of these, but justifying fifty bucks for one station is tough just so I can watch South Park. I also have Comporium cable as well so it's not a huge deal.

In order to increase the stability of the distant channels, I hooked up a set-top antenna behind the TV (Radioshack 15-1878) completely unpowered and with the VHF elements folded down and then put in a combiner. Helped a little.

Wow! You get a lot of channels. I'm just down the road from you (off Mt Galant past Celanese) and I get:

WSOC
WBTV
WCCB
WCNC
WJZY - barely
and that's it.

Granted, I have an indoor antenna in the attic, but even when it was outside, I wasn't getting nearly what you were. good job!
post #1198 of 9118 Old 11-02-2006, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

bearxor:
Actually, the Rock Hill SCETV HD station is my most reliable PBS signal here in Asheville. I guess the signals go both ways equally well!

JB - Asheville

post #1199 of 9118 Old 11-02-2006, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry birdwell View Post

bearxor:
Actually, the Rock Hill SCETV HD station is my most reliable PBS signal here in Asheville. I guess the signals go both ways equally well!

It's crazy... Antennaweb lists me as living 8 miles from the tower but it's nearly impossible to pick up. I'm almost certain my apartment is the problem. Out on the balcony I get 2 bars on my SPCS phone but once you walk inside it barely keeps service.

One thing about that Radioshack antenna is that it is HIGHLY directional. I pick up all the channels I do because I've spent hours with it rotating it ever so slightly and doing mulitple scans. I'm thinking I'm not going to get anywhere near as huge a gain on a omni-directional but if I lose the distant stations but am able to pick up everything in Charlotte like WAXN and ETV then it would be slightly cheaper than buying two of the same antennas. I'm thinking that I'm going to at least try it.

I'm also going to start going to the Galleria Mall Radioshack. I'm sure the people at the one at Winthrop are tired of seeing me.
post #1200 of 9118 Old 11-02-2006, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry birdwell View Post

...the Rock Hill SCETV HD station is my most reliable PBS signal here in Asheville.

I'm 35 miles from the tower and I've never got a sniff of WNSC on UHF 15. Are we talking about the same thing?

EDIT: Changed it to say UHF 15, not UHF 30. UHF 15 is where the digital signal is, of course.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception