Charlotte, NC - OTA - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 51Likes

post #121 of 8874 Old 06-28-2004, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Samsung SIR-TS160 seems to be one of the affected ones.

I wonder if there is any way to correct this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 8874 Old 06-28-2004, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles C
...The only saving grace was Soundstage on PBS, which was showing an awesome HD broadcast of a Sheryl Crow concert. Both the show and Ms. Crow were quite easy on the eyes....

Repeated tomorrow night at 9 on WTVI or WUNG, just in case folks got interested.

--Dale--
post #123 of 8874 Old 07-01-2004, 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by JEFatCLT
My Samsung SIR-TS160 seems to be one of the affected ones.

I wonder if there is any way to correct this.

I sent an e-mail to WSOC, and got the following response:

"We recently up-graded our PSIP generator to the latest Harris release. It has come to our attention, some Hitachi receivers are having problems with this up-grade. It is not as easy as just going back new hardware was part of the deal. Harris Corp is aware of the issues and are working to resolve them in a timely manner.
Please don't give up on us, surely they will have a fix soon."

Not quite good enough, since their trying to tell me that there's a problem with my TV, when it's really a problem with a non-standard transport stream. I then wrote a note to a guy at Hitachi (Bob, you know the dude; he helped us with the Fox 18 issue), and here was his response:

"Yes, we are already aware of this incident in your area. Actually, I am working with someone for the Harris Corporation and with the Engineer from this station as well. I am sure we will have will get to the bottom of it and get it going as soon as possible.

[WSOC engineering] is also working with us on this.

Thank you for letting us know. I will keep you posted as soon as I get some news from the station. They are sending us a sample of their digital stream."

So hopefully the right folks are working on it. If I hear more, I'll let everyone know.

Charles
post #124 of 8874 Old 07-07-2004, 10:50 AM

While flipping around the OTA HD channels last night (Tuesday), I noticed that WSOC-DT was back in HD on channel 9-1 on my set. JEFatCLT, have you checked to see if your Samsung was picking it up?
post #125 of 8874 Old 07-07-2004, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the note....I checked and am receiving 9-1 again!
post #126 of 8874 Old 07-11-2004, 02:55 PM

This is my first post in this forum. I would appreciate others' experience and opinions.

My location is Lincolnton, NC (zip 28092) about 30-35 miles northwest of downtown Charlotte.

I have just purchased a Panasonic PT-50LC13 LCD projection HDTV. I also purchased a Samsung SIR-TS360 HD receiver. I hooked the HD receiver to my existing rooftop antenna. With no adjustments, I can pick up the following digital channels:

WJZY (channel 46.1 or 47)
WWWB (channel 55.1 or 39)
WCNC (channel 36.1 or 22)
WBTV (channel 3.1 or 23)
Signal strength on these 4 stations varies from 0% to 69%, but I get no audio or video dropouts or pixelation. According to www.antennaweb.org, I'm only 8-10 miles from these transmitters.

For WCCB (channel 18.1 or 27), signal strength varies from 0% to 54%. However, I do occasionally get audio/video dropouts and pixelation. www.antennaweb.org says I'm 33.3 miles from this transmitter.

For WSOC (channel 9.1 or 34), I can't get a watchable picture. Audio/video dropouts are common if I can get a picture at all. www.antennaweb.org says I'm 33.9 miles from this transmitter.

I haven't gotten a signal at all from WTVI , WUNG, or WAXN, but I'm not really concerned about them since I rarely watch them.

I don't have any hills or buildings (only trees) between my antenna and the transmitters.

I don't know what model # antenna I have. It has been on the roof since the house was built in 1977. It has 4 "bow-ties" in front and a rectangular wire mesh in back. It's somewhat similar to this one. http://www.antennasdirect.com/db4_bow.htm

The cable from the antenna to the receiver is about 40-50 feet long and is not a RG-6. It is a flat cable with twisted copper on each end.

I have lost/misplaced/chunked the rotor that I used up until about 10 years ago. The antenna is currently pointing generally toward the 4 closest transmitters and should be moved about 10-15 degrees counterclockwise to point directly to WCCB and WSOC.

I have considered the following options for improvements on WCCB and WSOC.

1. Go on the roof and manually turn the antenna 10-15 degrees counterclockwise. I'm not sure how much that will help.

2. Replace the "twin-lead" cable from the antenna to the receiver with a RG-6 coax. I'm not particularly thrilled with this option since I would have to take the antenna down to do this, and it's pretty dangerous to work on my roof.

3. Add a pre-amp or amp to the existing "twin-lead" cable or to the new RG-6 coax.

4. Forget the exsting antenna and install a new antenna/amp in the attic and feed the receiver with RG-6. It would probably be about 15-20 feet lower than the existing antenna.

5. Install a new rooftop antenna/amp and RG-6.

I would appreciate opinions/experiences on how likely these options are to help, or any other options that I haven't considered.

Thanks.
post #127 of 8874 Old 07-12-2004, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
WolfpackJohn,

My guess is that replacing your cable would have the most impact, followed by turning your antenna.

Attic antennas have mixed results. I am in Huntersville and am playing around with my directional attic installation with mixed results thus far.
I would try a pair of cheap rabbit ears first, just to get a feel for the other end of the spectrum. If they work halfway decent, then the attic route may be OK.
post #128 of 8874 Old 07-12-2004, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey bdfox18doe - are you guys going to pick up the HD feed of the MLB Allstar game? I have read that your splicers are in place and that the Fox affiliate in Houston and NYC are picking it up in HD so I was just wondering.

Thanks
post #129 of 8874 Old 07-12-2004, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 71
At this point we will not be carrying the game in HD. Other than Houston,
no one else will have the game at this time. This info comes from those
who actually know at FOX.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #130 of 8874 Old 07-12-2004, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfpackjohn
For WCCB (channel 18.1 or 27), signal strength varies from 0% to 54%. However, I do occasionally get audio/video dropouts and pixelation. www.antennaweb.org says I'm 33.3 miles from this transmitter.

For WSOC (channel 9.1 or 34), I can't get a watchable picture. Audio/video dropouts are common if I can get a picture at all. www.antennaweb.org says I'm 33.9 miles from this transmitter.

I haven't gotten a signal at all from WTVI , WUNG, or WAXN, but I'm not really concerned about them since I rarely watch them.

WSOC and WCCB digitals are in the blue and violet, so you're asking a lot to get them with any consistency. If you really want 'em, I'm afraid you're in for a bit of effort (new antenna, pre-amp, new RG6 downlead).

Your antenna is not as highly directional as a yagi, which is good for getting various stations from different directions without a rotor, but it can be bad for multi-path. Without other buildings near you, multi-path shouldn't be too big of an issue, but if you did have that problem, it might explain fluctuation in signal strength. When you tune to non-digital channel 18, do you have ghosting? That would indicate multi-path, and some digital receivers have a problem sorting-out that situation. The long and short of it is that the 4 bow-tie with reflector is likely an okay option, as long as it's still in decent physical shape. I imagine if you tried to DO anything with it, though, it might be difficult (corroded). If it were me, and the roof was difficult, I'd consider putting together as much of an entirely new antenna system (with mast mounted pre-amp and RG6 downlead) while standing on the ground. Then I'd take the mostly assembled items for roof mounting. I wouldn't go with the attic, but I suppose you could assemble the components and just try them in the attic, and see what kind of result you get. As far away as you are, and if you really are away from hills and buildings, I'm not sure how much of a factor height will be. Usually the higher the better.

With respect to the easiest solution (turing the antenna), if it's pointed south-south-east right now, you're not likely to gain much signal strength by monkeying with the direction. You could reduce multi-path, though, if that's an issue (but I don't think it is).

There's little chance you could get WUNG, because it's really low power (I'm only a few miles away and needed a separate antenna with pre-amp to get it).

If you do need to choose a new antenna, since your target stations are within 40 degrees of each other, I think the multi-bay bow-tie type is a good choice.

--Dale--
post #131 of 8874 Old 07-12-2004, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Dale is correct, and makes some great recommendations.
By the way, you reception problems on WCCB & WSOC are due to terrain,
(AND /OR MULTIPATH from downtown) and not signal, as both of us are running 1 megawatt erp..and are located beside each other. WAXN is on the same tower as WSOC.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #132 of 8874 Old 07-13-2004, 06:08 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by sengsational

There's little chance you could get WUNG, because it's really low power (I'm only a few miles away and needed a separate antenna with pre-amp to get it).

--Dale--

Dale...

Are you sure about WUNG? I live in Mooresville and pick up WUNG pretty good with rabbit ears. WTVI on the other hand appears to be making low power and they are on DT 11 (VHF). I have to have my antenna just right to pick them up.

t123
post #133 of 8874 Old 07-13-2004, 02:47 PM

Thanks for all the opinions.
post #134 of 8874 Old 07-13-2004, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Check123
Are you sure about WUNG? I live in Mooresville and pick up WUNG pretty good with rabbit ears. WTVI on the other hand appears to be making low power and they are on DT 11 (VHF). I have to have my antenna just right to pick them up.

You are right! Thanks for keeping me honest. WTVI wins the weakling award, but I'm not sure it's apples-to-apples because it's UHF vs VHF.

Code:
WTVI    11      CHARLOTTE       NC      2.2     kW      CHARLOTTE-MECKLENBURG PUBLIC BROADCASTING AUTHORITY
WTVI    11      CHARLOTTE       NC      3.3     kW      CHARLOTTE-MECKLENBURG PUBLIC BROADCASTING AUTHORITY
WNSC-TV 15      ROCK HILL       SC      50      kW      SOUTH CAROLINA EDUCATIONAL TV COMMISSION
WRET-TV 43      SPARTANB        SC      50      kW      SOUTH CAROLINA EDUCATIONAL TV COMMISSION
WAXN-TV 50      KANNAPOLIS      NC      50      kW      WSOC-TV HOLDINGS, INC.
WRLK-TV 32      COLUMBIA        SC      65      kW      SOUTH CAROLINA EDUCATIONAL TV COMMISSION
WUNG-TV 44      CONCORD NC      150     kW      UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA
WWWB    39      ROCK HILL       SC      200     kW      WWWB-TV, INC.
WSOC-TV 34      CHARLOTTE       NC      370     kW      WSOC-TV HOLDINGS, INC.
WHKY-TV 40      HICKORY NC      600     kW      LONG COMMUNICATIONS, LLC.
WCNC-TV 22      CHARLOTTE       NC      791     kW      WCNC-TV, INC.
WIS     41      COLUMBIA        SC      874     kW      LIBCO, INC.
WBTV    23      CHARLOTTE       NC      1000    kW      JEFFERSON-PILOT COMMUNICATIONS/WBTV, INC.
WCCB    27      CHARLOTTE       NC      1000    kW      NORTH CAROLINA BROADCASTING PARTNERS
WSOC-TV 34      CHARLOTTE       NC      1000    kW      WSOC-TV HOLDINGS, INC.
WJZY    47      BELMONT NC      1000    kW      WJZY-TV, INC.
post #135 of 8874 Old 07-13-2004, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

This chart is seriously wrong..WCCB is on 27..WBTV on 23. both are 1 megawatt'rs

Bob

post #136 of 8874 Old 07-14-2004, 05:04 AM

BDFOX18DOE......

If that wasn't a true HD feed we saw last night for the All Star game, that was something else that was truly amazing (picture quality-wise). There were periodic audio problems and some picture problems from time to time, but if you were "experimenting" I think you passed the test.
post #137 of 8874 Old 07-14-2004, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks!
It was TRUE HD at 720p, and a fun but tiring experiment. Learned a lot.
The NFL on FOX this fall should be Awesome!

Bob

post #138 of 8874 Old 08-03-2004, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfpackjohn
This is my first post in this forum. I would appreciate others' experience and opinions.

My location is Lincolnton, NC (zip 28092) about 30-35 miles northwest of downtown Charlotte.

John, please pm me with contact info..Thanks!

Bob

post #139 of 8874 Old 08-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
i am new to this forum as well and would be intrested to know what HD locals I can expect to recieve. I live in the Highland Creek area of 28269.

I currently receive:
42.1 PBS
58.1 PBS
6.1 NBC
18.1 FOX

Really need to get but don't get:
3.1 CBS
9.1 ABC
46.1 UPN

My wife is going to drop VOOM if I don't figure this out! VOOM gave me the Winegard Sensar II (GS2000a). Thing is huge and is mounted high up on my roof. It's funny because I went to Tweeter and they were pulling in ABC HD with cheapo rabbit ears!!! And my monstrosity of an antenna can't pull it in. I'm only about 8 miles from the tower.

Rodney
post #140 of 8874 Old 08-05-2004, 02:04 PM

rcase,

You are very close to WSOC-DT. I live in Mooresville and I pick them up with a set of (very nice) rabbit ears. Does your reciever show signal strength? They are on Channel 34.

Have you tried rotating your antenna?

test123
post #141 of 8874 Old 08-05-2004, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

rcase,
try a silver sensor or winegard square shooter. You don't need much antenna where you are.

Bob

post #142 of 8874 Old 08-05-2004, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bdfox18doe
rcase,
try a silver sensor or winegard square shooter. You don't need much antenna where you are.

It looks like I am at the mercy of VOOM technical support. I called and they showed me how to check the signal strength of each local channel. I'm only getting 78~80 and need 90 or above for the STB to lock in the channel reliably. They are coming out to try and get it working. They told me if I rotate the antenna it will void my in home warrenty. I will mention the other antenna choices when they come out.

Thanks for the help!

Rodney

Rodney
post #143 of 8874 Old 08-05-2004, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rcase13
i am new to this forum as well and would be intrested to know what HD locals I can expect to recieve. I live in the Highland Creek area of 28269.

I currently receive:
42.1 PBS
58.1 PBS
6.1 NBC
18.1 FOX

Really need to get but don't get:
3.1 CBS
9.1 ABC
46.1 UPN

I live a few miles in from you, still in 28269. The problem is that we've got (what I call) Kings Mountain stations: 23(3), 22(36), 47(46), and although they've got pretty hefty power (only one of the three isn't maxed out), they are in the wrong direction (west) compared to the rest (south east).

The weird thing is you DO get the 'west' station that has a lesser power of 781kW (22) and you don't get the two with 1000kW (23 & 47).

WRT 34(9), if the VOOM setup has a cheap amp, you might be getting blasted by some high powered analog station (interferance) or maybe the signal is overdriving your tuner. I guess it's VOOM's problem, though, eh?

What the heck is VOOM anyway? Has some company figured out a way to charge a monthly fee for OTA signals?

--Dale--
post #144 of 8874 Old 08-05-2004, 06:29 PM

Dale,

Voom is a satellite provider like Directv or Dish that provides more HD channels than the others. I guess when he had the service installed they installed an antenna for the OTA stations.

I don't understand why Voom won't let him rotate his antenna. With a group of stations to his east and another to his west it only makes since that he would have to move his antenna.

As for power levels of the Dallas stations, without looking at the forward power meter we don't know how much power they are making. I know WBTV's(23) antenna is on top of their tower but I don't know much about WJZY(47). I do know that there are 2 analog TV antennas and 2 digital TV antennas (WJZY and WWWB) on that tower as well as antennas for WPEG,WNKS and WWMG (FMs).

I think you are in the ballyard with the too much signal idea. He could also be experiencing intermod or multipath. Rotating the antenna may help.

I also think Bob Davis has a good idea with the Silver Sensor. I noticed today the Wallyworld in Mooresville has them for less than $30. I would give that a try. The Voom peeps would never know...

testing123
post #145 of 8874 Old 08-06-2004, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Dale,

Voom is a satellite provider like Directv or Dish that provides more HD channels than the others. I guess when he had the service installed they installed an antenna for the OTA stations.

I don't understand why Voom won't let him rotate his antenna. With a group of stations to his east and another to his west it only makes since that he would have to move his antenna.

As for power levels of the Dallas stations, without looking at the forward power meter we don't know how much power they are making. I know WBTV's(23) antenna is on top of their tower but I don't know much about WJZY(47). I do know that there are 2 analog TV antennas and 2 digital TV antennas (WJZY and WWWB) on that tower as well as antennas for WPEG,WNKS and WWMG (FMs).

I think you are in the ballyard with the too much signal idea. He could also be experiencing intermod or multipath. Rotating the antenna may help.

I also think Bob Davis has a good idea with the Silver Sensor. I noticed today the Wallyworld in Mooresville has them for less than $30. I would give that a try. The Voom peeps would never know...

testing123

Yeah I am basically renting the antenna. Does the Silver Sensor mount the same way the Sensar does? If they can fix this I might consider mounting the Silver Sensor myself. If I ever need them to come back out I guess I could switch it out.

The problem is VOOM uses a diplexor to combine the SAT signal and OTA signal onto one wire. I don't know exactly how this system works so it makes it difficult for me start messing with it. Also they power the Sensar using the STB back through the coax line. There is no separate power supply for the Antenna. The only way I could use the Silver Sensor is if both antenna's had the same power requirement.

Rodney
post #146 of 8874 Old 08-06-2004, 08:57 AM

Rodney,

The Silver Sensor is an antenna that you would use indoors. Kinda like rabbit ears. It requires no power.

I looked at the Voom website. The photo they show of the receiver shows a 'Sat' input and a 'UHF' input. The SS would hook to the UHF input.

Is the diplexer built into the receiver? If so you may have to go to a setup menu and change the OTA input from the Sat to the UHF. If not just disconnect the cable going into the UHF input and hook the Silver Sensor to it.

As close as you are to WSOC you shouldn't not be having a problem.

t123
post #147 of 8874 Old 08-06-2004, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Rodney,
I had a silver sensor (non-powered version) outdoors for years and it worked very well, allowing me to receive all 9 locals very well most of the
time. I finally put it in an enclosure, and recently changed to the SquareShooter, which works much better, tho costs a lot more..

Bob

post #148 of 8874 Old 08-06-2004, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by bdfox18doe
Rodney,
I had a silver sensor (non-powered version) outdoors for years and it worked very well, allowing me to receive all 9 locals very well most of the
time. I finally put it in an enclosure, and recently changed to the SquareShooter, which works much better, tho costs a lot more..

Wow 9 locals. I wish! Is the HD signal the same as the SD? I mean if you get the SD can I expect to get the HD as well?

I saw that UHF input but there is no menu to switch to that input. Or at least I don't know the trick required to get to it.

It's good to know I can get the channels I need though. It looks like I just need to jump through some VOOM hoops! I don't mind really. End the end it is worth it. I really like the VOOM product. Although I hear DirectTV will be launching a mega HD satelite next year. Don't know if the installer was just talking out his a$$ or if there really is truth to that.

It's funny though as much HD channels as VOOM has I realize that most of what we watch is on the local channels. You don't know what you got till it's gone!

Once again thanks for the info.

Rodney
post #149 of 8874 Old 08-07-2004, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
As for power levels of the Dallas stations, without looking at the forward power meter we don't know how much power they are making.

So just because they're licensed for 1000 kW doesn't mean they're using it all? I got my data from here It tells you all kinds of stuff besides the erp, like how high the transmitter is, etc.

--Dale--
post #150 of 8874 Old 08-07-2004, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rcase13
The problem is VOOM uses a diplexor to combine the SAT signal and OTA signal onto one wire. I don't know exactly how this system works so it makes it difficult for me start messing with it.

Here is a page that talks about VOOM and what worked and didn't work for him. The Square Shooter is in the "didn't work" section. Here's a review of the SS but even after reading it, I can't tell if he liked it or not!

--Dale--
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page