post #182 of 8227 Old 09-12-2004, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Thanks Dale, I'll pass that on .

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #183 of 8227 Old 09-16-2004, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Brand newbie to the world of HDTV. I live in Rock Hill, and I am using the internal tuner on my Mits 55" RPTV.

I'm only using a Zenith Silver Sensor now, but also find that WCCB-DT is the hardest station for me to pull in. Watching NFL last w/e, I was able to watch the game on WBTV-DT with no problems, but the picture on WCCB was continually dropping out.

I'm still in the 'fiddling' stage to find the sweet spot, and do plan to upgrade my antenna shortly, but do find WCCB to be the hardest to get.
post #184 of 8227 Old 09-16-2004, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Regardless of where you are, using the current generation of receivers,
reception with an indoor antenna, especially in Rock Hill, will be iffy at best
regardless of the station. If you read this thread from the beginning, you
will find a lot of good advice on antennas and reception issues.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #185 of 8227 Old 09-16-2004, 07:27 AM

Have done! I was debating on the Square Shooter myself. May have to pick that one up.
post #186 of 8227 Old 09-16-2004, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a square shooter out on my chimney, and get all 9 locals perfectly,
so I highly recommend it! You may want to consider the amplified version.

Bob

post #187 of 8227 Old 09-16-2004, 09:08 AM

I have a question about installation (and please re-direct me if I should post this somewhere else)

I have D* 2-LNB dish leading to a 3x4 multiswitch. I'd run RG-6 coax from the antenna to the multiswitch which would 'bundle' the two signals into one cable leading into my house.

Then I'd split that (splitter or diplexer?) and connect the sat output to the sat receiver, and the antenna to the TV (internal tuner)

Do you connect the amplifier before or after the split?
post #188 of 8227 Old 09-17-2004, 06:06 AM

Has anyone had trouble with WB 55 recently ? I can get UPN ok , but 55 does not show up for the last few days.
post #189 of 8227 Old 09-17-2004, 10:54 AM

I've been getting it with no problems. It was fine Wednesday. Haven't checked recently.

Is the Panther's game going to be in HD on WCCB-DT?
post #190 of 8227 Old 09-17-2004, 11:17 AM

this could be off-topic, and if it belongs somewhere else, let me know..

Have any DirecTV subscribers in Charlotte , found a place to "move" in North Carolina that would:

a) keep you still in the Charlotte market for locals
and
b) in a "white area" so you can get the East/West feed for HD content on CBS, NBC, and soon..Fox.

I found two zips that serve Greensboro/Winston - but none for charlotte

Not sure if anyone has completed a similiar investigation?

If anyone wants these zips, let me know (PM, please) - they are basically useless to me
post #191 of 8227 Old 09-17-2004, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

If it helps, We won't be granting any waivers. :>)

Bob

post #192 of 8227 Old 09-17-2004, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bdfox18doe
If it helps, We won't be granting any waivers. :>)

(responding to another smirky "we won't grant waivers" post - yawn)

Ummm..that's why I'm trying to find a white area....

But I did apply for the waivers just to humor myself - hey, if you throw away my app, and don't respond back in 45 days.....helllooooooooooooooooooo HD east/west...no moving required!

post #193 of 8227 Old 09-17-2004, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't worry, we won't throw it out..and we do have the list of zip codes
you're looking for.

Bob

post #194 of 8227 Old 09-17-2004, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Don't worry, we won't throw it out..and we do have the list of zip codes
you're looking for.

Let me qualify my response - after I saw you're a Fox'er

here's the deal..

I KNOW all of the Fox white areas that serve Charlotte - hello Banner Elk...to name one of the at least 20 that I found today.

What I really want to find is a city that serves charlotte and is a complete white out.......a grandslam, if you will.
post #195 of 8227 Old 09-20-2004, 06:10 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 66
WBTV has no audio for the premiere of Raymond.

Since I'm watching on a TV that only has Voom (no D* LIL's) right now, I guess I've found the only good reason for a SD multicast - a backup
post #196 of 8227 Old 09-20-2004, 06:22 PM

HD back up.
post #197 of 8227 Old 09-21-2004, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

They use the SD feed to feed cable headends..

Bob

post #198 of 8227 Old 09-21-2004, 06:06 AM

Quote:
They use the SD feed to feed cable headends..

Were they multicasting last year? I've had quite a bit of pixelation this NFL season - but I remember the Super Bowl as being virtually flawless (up to the last 5 seconds anyway).
post #199 of 8227 Old 09-21-2004, 06:12 PM

Well......once again its CBS prime time and once again WBTV has lost its audio on the HD feed. Is ANYONE awake in their control room at all!!!!! It is NOT a CBS problem because once again WSPA , Spartanburg has full audio. Someone at WBTV either wake up or at least have a live human their to answer the phone.
post #200 of 8227 Old 09-22-2004, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Arrrrgh! I guess this is what I get for jumping on the HD bandwagon early.

Rodney
post #201 of 8227 Old 10-06-2004, 07:08 PM

WBTV has no HD again at least for CSI: NY.

Thank God for WSPA out of Spartanburg.
post #202 of 8227 Old 10-12-2004, 08:01 AM

I have a Samsung SIR-TS160 from directv, and after a year of having this I finally tried setting up the antenna they provided, but did not install. (I probably should have complained about it, but the installer didn't know how to spell HDTV so could have done a worse job than I would have.) It came with a Winegard Sensar II, but I'm not clear on the model. On the bottom it has a little sticker that says "amplified", but it came with no amplifier so I don't know if that makes it a GS1000 or a GS2000a.
Yesterday I set it up in the attic. I have a very tall 2 story house and figured that up there would be better than right on my dish which is about 8 feet of the ground right next to the house.
The website says this antenna is bidirectional, so I'm guessing that means it's directional in two directions, but I don't know what those directions actually are. When I installed this with just some inexpensive Sima diplexers, only got a couple of channels. Then I put the Winegard diplexer that has DC pass on both sides so that DC would get to the antenna and I got more stations. I futzed with this for an hour or so last night and got it oriented so that it "faces" about 290 degrees (that's the direction the logo is facing). It's not mounted, just sitting on top of some duct work. This seems to allow me to get the following:
WBTV
WCNC
WUNG
WSOC
WJZY
WWWB
WAXN
WCCB, though I seem to experience some minor signal problems, but it's also the only station i've watched at length

I'm fairly satisfied with this set up, but I'd like to make it better if it's possible, especially if there was something I could do to pick up WTVI and reduce the audio problems that I saw on WCCB. Would changing the way the antenna is positioned help at all, since the position was entirely done by trial an error? The cable runs aren't too long (maybe 30 feet from recv to wiring panel, and 40 or 50 feet up to the attic), but would some sort of amplifier like I saw at radio shack help? If so, should it be one of those inline or bi-directional ones?
Antennaweb says I should go for a red antenna type, but I don't have the desire to have a big antenna on top of the house (or pay for the install), even if I could get it by the HOA. Would there be another antenna I could mount in the attic (like the square shooter) that would work well considering that there are two main clusters of transmitters that are roughly 90 degrees apart from my neck of the woods?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I am (obviously) well out of my knowledge area. If I have one.

Tommy
post #203 of 8227 Old 10-12-2004, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tzmitch
It came with a Winegard Sensar II, but I'm not clear on the model. On the bottom it has a little sticker that says "amplified", but it came with no amplifier so I don't know if that makes it a GS1000 or a GS2000a.
The website says this antenna is bidirectional, so I'm guessing that means it's directional in two directions, but I don't know what those directions actually are. When I installed this with just some inexpensive Sima diplexers, only got a couple of channels. Then I put the Winegard diplexer that has DC pass on both sides so that DC would get to the antenna and I got more stations. I futzed with this for an hour or so last night and got it oriented so that it "faces" about 290 degrees...

Welcome! I'll take a shot at it.

If you look around on the internet, you might be able to find a diagram that shows how many dB's it picks up from various angles (polar patterns). Here's mine for instance. I presume that it's "back and front". It makes sense that once it had the DC it worked better... the amp is in the antenna, I guess.

Quote:
I'm fairly satisfied with this set up, but I'd like to make it better if it's possible, especially if there was something I could do to pick up WTVI and reduce the audio problems that I saw on WCCB. Would changing the way the antenna is positioned help at all, since the position was entirely done by trial an error? The cable runs aren't too long (maybe 30 feet from recv to wiring panel, and 40 or 50 feet up to the attic), but would some sort of amplifier like I saw at radio shack help? If so, should it be one of those inline or bi-directional ones?

Educated (antennaweb) trial and error is about the best you can do. You need to watch-out for cheap amps, especially if you have other amps (like the one in the antenna) because they can cause distortion. You can see the distortion on an analog signal, but on a digital signal, you sometimes just get strange results. Since the same towers hold the analog and digital transmitters, you might try watching the analog channel, maybe with an in-line signal restrictor (RS sells one). It's just more trial and error, but the idea is that you let just barely enough of the analog signal through, then position the antenna.
Quote:
Antennaweb says I should go for a red antenna type, but I don't have the desire to have a big antenna on top of the house (or pay for the install), even if I could get it by the HOA. Would there be another antenna I could mount in the attic (like the square shooter) that would work well considering that there are two main clusters of transmitters that are roughly 90 degrees apart from my neck of the woods?

Ouch. 90 degrees apart. Your best bet would be to buy a second antenna and get a receiver that had two inputs. I used to have an antenna rotor in my attic. It worked okay, but you couldn't really 'surf' channels, and it seemed to always be pointed the wrong way for timed recordings (which I do a lot of). So I rigged-up a bunch of filters so I can combine two antennas, and have a third (for WUNG) because that's off by itself (that one goes into it's own special connector on my tuner - I hope they feel special).

Here is a thought for you, though. This might actually WORK because of your stations being 90 degrees apart! Just take a second antenna and hook it up with a passive "splitter". Position it 90 degrees (as exactly as you can) to the other antenna. Since the antennas are perpendicular to each other, signals from the stations will not cancel each other out. What I'm guessing here is that a station that's straight off to the side of your antenna will have 'no effect' on that antenna, but the other antenna will get the full force of the signal. Maybe you know this already, but if you took two antennas, pointed them in opposite directions, and connected them with a passive "splitter", that's as good as having no antenna at all; the signal hitting the front of one antenna also hits the back of the next antenna and when mixed, cancels-out the signal. But since you're 90 degrees, I wonder if you can dodge that bullet.

Go ahead and buy the square shooter. Bob swears by his! You can hook it up alone or in the 90 degree configuration and then come back and tell us how it worked!

--Dale--
post #204 of 8227 Old 10-12-2004, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Dale is correct..love my square shooter.. so does as my father in law...perfect reception at 90 degrees apart..I'm Mint Hill Near matthews,
he's near Albemarle road..

Go SquareShooter!!

Bob

post #205 of 8227 Old 10-18-2004, 07:09 PM

What is the 'spread' of the sqshooter? Per antennaweb, the stations are here;

* red - uhf WSOC-DT 9.1 ABC CHARLOTTE NC 46° 24.9 34
* red - vhf WTVI-DT 42.1 PBS CHARLOTTE NC 46° 27.3 11
* red - uhf WNSC-DT 15.1 PBS ROCK HILL SC FCC Ext 191° 9.9 15
* red - uhf WWWB-DT 55.1 WB ROCK HIL SC 348° 27.5 39
* red - uhf WCNC-DT 6.1 NBC CHARLOTTE NC 346° 26.8 22
* red - uhf WAXN-DT 64.1 IND KANNAPOLIS NC 46° 24.8 50
* red - uhf WBTV-DT 3.1 CBS CHARLOTTE NC 345° 28.3 23
* red - uhf WCCB-DT 18.1 FOX CHARLOTTE NC 44° 24.9 27
* red - uhf WJZY-DT 46.1 UPN BELMONT NC 348° 27.5 47
* blue - uhf WUNG-DT 58.1 PBS CONCORD NC 47° 34.2 44

If I point in the general direction of WWWB/WCNC/WBTV/WJZY, I wouldn't be able to pick up WSOC/WCCB without a rotator, correct?
post #206 of 8227 Old 10-18-2004, 07:19 PM

You could probably pick them all up. Bob just said he gets a decent 90 degree spread with his square shooter. I pick up all channels on both towers without rotating my CM4221 - and could do the same with my RS Double-Bowtie on top of my TV....from Fort Mill.
post #207 of 8227 Old 10-20-2004, 03:46 PM

Anyone know what's up with WBTV? All I'm showing is 3-1 in SD, no 3-2 or 3-3, and no HD signal anywhere. (Samsung SIR-t150)
post #208 of 8227 Old 10-21-2004, 06:08 AM

I was getting the same via TWC. WBTV has had lots of problems with switching from local SD feed to the National HD feed almost every night. I had to call them three times in the last week, and then only after I called did they make the switch. I would call the station and compain during the day time today.
post #209 of 8227 Old 10-22-2004, 07:45 AM

Well Im hoping and know you guys came help me out here
dropping cable and going with a sat co. which I havent figured out which one yet

But what Im needing is some help on picking out the right ant. for ota hd
my main channel is cbs and abc others are a bonus to get prefer an inside attic ant. or one small enought to fit next to or one the dish when i get it
I live in concord if that helps zip 28025 off of rocky river rd

thanks again
post #210 of 8227 Old 10-22-2004, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

jac,
where you are, the square shooter pointed west should work very well.

Bob

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page