Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoone View Post

i lurk a lot in the shadows

Bubba!

All opinions expressed (unless otherwise noted) are the posters and NOT the posters employers. The poster in NO WAY is/will speak for his employers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 8824 Old 06-15-2010, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I noticed the following on TW's site:
Effective July 7th, WBTV This TV D2 will be launched on channel 106 and Fox Soccer Plus will launch on the Sports Tier.

So I guess it's OTA too
post #2553 of 8824 Old 06-15-2010, 04:18 PM
A J

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccurrytech View Post

Effective July 7th, WBTV This TV will be launched on channel 106r. So I guess it's OTA too

This TV's website does now have a pointer to WBTV, although it lists the sub-channel as 3-1. My guess is that This TV will show up on 3-3, while 3-2 remains a SD CBS feed (similar to 55-1 HD and 55-2 SD, with Word on 55-3 SD).

Just a guess, but wherever This TV pops up, I'll take a look.

A J
post #2554 of 8824 Old 06-16-2010, 11:39 AM
A J

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I noticed at 9:30 this morning that WCWG Greensboro was coming in nicely, 4 out of 10 bars on my TV's meter, with absolutely no glitches. 20-1 CW had "In the Heat of the Night", 20-2 was Video Mix, and 20-3 was EstrellaTV (Spanish).

I have a $5 Radio Shack bowtie antenna in a window about 8 feet AGL, facing NNW, which brings in all 9 local stations (the weakest is 7 of 10 bars), but it very rarely picks up anything else.

WCWG is NE, about 70 degrees to the side of where the antenna is pointed and 75 miles away. I'm amazed that it was received so clearly with such a minimal antenna. Of course, a couple hours later, it was gone.

A J
post #2555 of 8824 Old 06-16-2010, 06:25 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng View Post

Bubba!

Hey Bubba.. This is Bubba Jr checking in. Hope you're keeping that RF in the air up there
post #2556 of 8824 Old 06-18-2010, 04:28 AM

For the last couple of days,there is no audio on 9.7 and 64.7 from the China Grove translator.The audio on 9.8 is fine.
post #2557 of 8824 Old 06-18-2010, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I will check on it today.....

Ted Hand, CPBE. 8VSB, DRB, AMD
I was there on July 23, 1996...First DTV broadcast in the US..WRAL-HD

Amateur Radio - W9SOC

post #2558 of 8824 Old 06-18-2010, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Hey guys, I have never tried connecting an HD antenna to any of my tv's or monitors. My wife wants a little flat screen tv for her craft room so she can watch HGTV while she scrapbooks. Is that station available OTA? I have cable in this room so it's not a big deal to connect that but I would rather try an antenna if it would work. Any ideas?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2559 of 8824 Old 06-18-2010, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone7 View Post

Hey guys, I have never tried connecting an HD antenna to any of my tv's or monitors. My wife wants a little flat screen tv for her craft room so she can watch HGTV while she scrapbooks. Is that station available OTA? I have cable in this room so it's not a big deal to connect that but I would rather try an antenna if it would work. Any ideas?

HGTV is only available via cable or satellite.

Eric Calhoun

"If it was simple, anyone could do it" - Roy Clark from Hee Haw
post #2560 of 8824 Old 06-18-2010, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by eacalhoun View Post

+1 unless it's a local channel your looking at Cable or Satellite to view it..!

All Comments made are my own and not of my employer.
post #2561 of 8824 Old 06-18-2010, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybsane View Post

+1 unless it's a local channel your looking at Cable or Satellite to view it..!

Thanks, I kind of figured that was the case but wanted to make sure.

post #2562 of 8824 Old 06-19-2010, 08:09 PM

For the past few days, I've noticed on WCCB's radar sub-channel that the weather radar is now zoomed way out. In a small way I like this better as more of the two Carolinas are covered, but I mostly don't like it because part of the world I live in has been cut off -- and it's parts that are in the WCCB DMA. Places like Burke, Caldwell, Alexander, and Iredell counties have had some part of their northern sections cut off. Avery and Watauga are totally gone from view. I hope this isn't permanent -- I can no longer see "upstream" storms that may head my way from the north and northwest.

Eric

Eric Calhoun

post #2563 of 8824 Old 06-19-2010, 08:52 PM

I echo what eacalhoun said about the new WCCB radar view. Statesville is barely visible and there's no chance of seeing what storms are on the way.

Even though WCNC and WSOC have a weather subchannel, they rarely show a radar. When they do show it, it's not a very good one, and it's only up for a few seconds.

Can you pan the WCCB radar to the North by about 20 miles?
post #2564 of 8824 Old 06-20-2010, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 71
It's that way because WOLO-DT's WX Radar fell down and can't get back up..so we're sharing 1 system for 2 stations until we can get the PC repaired and back up running. Or, we could feed you WFXB's Radar.. But unless you're going to the beach that won't help much!

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #2565 of 8824 Old 06-20-2010, 06:59 PM

Thanks for the information on the radar! I'm glad it's only a temporary change.
post #2566 of 8824 Old 06-21-2010, 04:41 PM

Thanks for your work, Bob. I'm happy to see the correct radar zoom has returned -- I guess Columbia-area viewers are glad to have theirs back, too.

Eric

Eric Calhoun

post #2567 of 8824 Old 06-21-2010, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for your work, Bob. I'm happy to see the correct radar zoom has returned -- I guess Columbia-area viewers are glad to have theirs back, too. Eric

You're welcome, and yes, we had similiar comments from viewers down there who love it as much as you all do.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #2568 of 8824 Old 06-24-2010, 10:33 PM

Hey I just saw a quick promo saying that "This TV" (the network) is coming to WBTV 3.2. Has anyone else heard anything about it? They said there would be information on the WBTV website but I couldn't find anything. Looks like they will have some old TV shows that haven't been seen in awhile and some old movies too. I like this!
post #2569 of 8824 Old 06-25-2010, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4DXL View Post

Hey I just saw a quick promo saying that "This TV" (the network) is coming to WBTV 3.2. Has anyone else heard anything about it? They said there would be information on the WBTV website but I couldn't find anything. Looks like they will have some old TV shows that haven't been seen in awhile and some old movies too. I like this!

There are a couple of comments about this a few posts back. Speaking of this, I got an email from a friend of mine in Wilkes County. He gets WBTV on Charter Cable and he told me that "This TV" was showing for quite some time last night -- in place of CBS prime time programming. He said it was back to normal WBTV CBS programming this morning. Was anyone watching OTA last night and see any of this or experience it on satellite or cable? Apparently WBTV was testing its This TV feed and it either, (1) goofed and fed it on their main channel or (2) Charter in Wilkes picks up the OTA channel 3.2 so it inadvertantly got fed to their customers last night. If the latter is true, memo to Charter in Wilkes -- change your OTA WBTV feed from channel 3.2 to 3.1

Eric Calhoun

post #2570 of 8824 Old 06-28-2010, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Glad to hear WBTV is finally doing something different with 3.2 other than degrade primary HD signal with unnecessary SD simulcast...wish 46.2 and 55.2 would offer alternative programming as well. Their owner Capitol is known for innovative and stellar broadcasting in Raleigh ( WRAL-5). Would like to see them do more with CLT stations...Speaking of which - can WJZY-46 not broadcast WBTV-3 10:00 news in HD? Would be much needed improvement. And does 46 plan to eventually top-mount their digital antenna on their tower? Seems like waste of 2000ft tower; would help with fringe reception.
post #2571 of 8824 Old 06-28-2010, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Anybody receive consistent reception of GVL-SPA-AVL channels in CLT area? Gastonia, Rock Hill, Pineville? WSPA-7 and WLOS-13 may be problematic since VHF; WSPA was supposedly reliable when UHF...
post #2572 of 8824 Old 06-28-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Glad to hear WBTV is finally doing something different with 3.2 other than degrade primary HD signal with unnecessary SD simulcast...wish 46.2 and 55.2 would offer alternative programming as well.

"THIS TV" is coming to WBTV 3.2 July 12th. I wonder if they will carry it on DirecTV?

As for WJZY and WMYT I have heard rumors they are for sale. No official word just rumors.
post #2573 of 8824 Old 06-28-2010, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4DXL View Post

. I wonder if they will carry it on DirecTV

DirecTv doesn't carry local sub-channels.

Bob

post #2574 of 8824 Old 06-28-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Anybody receive consistent reception of GVL-SPA-AVL channels in CLT area? Gastonia, Rock Hill, Pineville? WSPA-7 and WLOS-13 may be problematic since VHF; WSPA was supposedly reliable when UHF...

I receive WSPA and WLOS here in Statesville. They come in fairly reliably except in the middle of the afternoon when all signals seem to struggle to travel long distances. Actually, these are my two strongest stations out of GVL/SPA. I also get 62, 33, 4, and 29 in that order of reliability.
post #2575 of 8824 Old 06-28-2010, 06:17 PM

For those who are looking forward to THIS TV coming to 3.2, you may not want to get your hopes up too much. I already receive it on WXII 12.2, and it sounds like a much better station than it actually is. They show mostly old movies (which is fine), but they're usually not the best old movies. Personally, I think RTV has better programming. Of course, anything is better than an SD version of the main channel!
post #2576 of 8824 Old 06-29-2010, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdfox18doe View Post

DirecTv doesn't carry local sub-channels.

Not true. They do occassionally carry subchannels. I think in the Charlotte area they carry one or two of the PBS subchannels. I have DirecTV but I pick everything up locally via the off air antenna so I haven't checked in a while what they carry locally.
post #2577 of 8824 Old 06-29-2010, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
UNC-KD is carried because UNC has flipped the subchannels on WUNE-17. As such, it's treated as a separate channel rather than a subchannel for must-carry purposes.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #2578 of 8824 Old 06-29-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

UNC-KD is carried because UNC has flipped the subchannels on WUNE-17. As such, it's treated as a separate channel rather than a subchannel for must-carry purposes.

- Trip

So -- if I understand correctly -- UNC-TV has purposely made WUNE's 17-1 "PBS Kids" in order to be the "main" channel and get carried by satellite and cable? I just thought the engineer on Grandmother Mtn was lazy, fed the wrong audio/video to the wrong sub-channel, and hasn't cared to correct it.
I can also receive WUNF from Asheville and I have often wondered why the subchannel order is different from WUNE's. Sometimes -- but not enough to know -- I can get WUNG, Concord. Does it follow the "normal" hiearchy of main and sub-channels?

Eric

Eric Calhoun

post #2579 of 8824 Old 06-29-2010, 07:11 AM

My brother lives in the Denver, Colorado area and he has DirecTV. He receives some subchannels out there where both the main and subchannel are present, but carry different content. I would agree that DirecTV does not carry the majority of subchannels, but to say that it never carries subchannels is not true. One can always hope that they will carry a local good subchannel. I myself use the off air anttena to guarantee I get the subchannels. Love watching Rick Steves on those PBS subchannels.
post #2580 of 8824 Old 06-29-2010, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Quote:

Does it follow the "normal" hiearchy of main and sub-channels?

Eric

To my knowledge, there are only three UNC stations with flipped subchannels: WUNE, WUNP, and WUNM. I imagine WUNW, once signed on, will make four.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page