Minot, ND - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 197 Old 12-03-2009, 07:26 AM
Newbie
 
AFBlue07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is it just me or are the locals over DirecTV only coming in with stereo sound. My Yamaha reciever never registers 5.1 surround for any programing on any of these stations.
AFBlue07 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 197 Old 12-03-2009, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
wrightwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As far as I know, the stations don't broadcast in 5.1. So they aint going to be on the dish, either.
wrightwing is offline  
post #183 of 197 Old 12-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Member
 
NeedsInformation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is an interesting map of satellite coverage at the following site:
http://www.northpine.com/broadcast/lil.html
as well as broadcasting news at
http://www.northpine.com/broadcast/index.html
NeedsInformation is offline  
post #184 of 197 Old 04-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Member
 
adkinsjm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any updates on whether KNDX will show up on DirecTV?
adkinsjm is offline  
post #185 of 197 Old 05-14-2010, 05:39 AM
Member
 
NeedsInformation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why don't you check with this address:

garyo
the symbol for (at)
fox26
the symbol (dot)
tv

He has been helpful with my questions. I wrote his address like that so automated scanners won't pick it up and add it to their spam lists.
NeedsInformation is offline  
post #186 of 197 Old 07-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Member
 
adkinsjm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Something is going on off the Dickinson translator for KNDX (FOX). I have a DirecTV AM21 OTA receiver and the picture stutters every 5-10 seconds despite signal strength in the 80s and 90s. It was working fine when the signal strength was in the 60s before the problems started happening.

The picture also stutters when the antenna is plugged directly into my TV.

What the crappy part of this is is DirecTV still doesn't carry KNDX.

Update: E-mailed the engineer and a hail storm this past week damaged the encoder.
adkinsjm is offline  
post #187 of 197 Old 07-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Member
 
urnote96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
fox is close on directv
urnote96 is offline  
post #188 of 197 Old 07-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Member
 
adkinsjm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How close? One or two weeks, or by the NFC Championship game? Once FOX falls into line, it's time for Prairie Public's HD feed to show up on DirecTV.
adkinsjm is offline  
post #189 of 197 Old 09-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Member
 
xtremecobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 58
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New to the Minot area and just got midcomm hooked up. I noticed none of the locals have DD5.1. Whats up with this? Is there any reason they are not broadcasting? Any word on if or when they may start.
xtremecobra is offline  
post #190 of 197 Old 09-22-2010, 07:54 AM
Member
 
adkinsjm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnote96 View Post

fox is close on directv


I guess it's not coming. I know there is a test stream on DirecTV, but it's been 10 months. I'm not holding my breath waiting for the station GM to make a deal.
adkinsjm is offline  
post #191 of 197 Old 10-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Member
 
adkinsjm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkinsjm View Post

I guess it's not coming. I know there is a test stream on DirecTV, but it's been 10 months. I'm not holding my breath waiting for the station GM to make a deal.

FOX, not KNDX, seems to be the holdup. KNDX had a deal in place with DirecTV. FOX is not approving any new retransmission agreements.
adkinsjm is offline  
post #192 of 197 Old 10-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Member
 
bamaweather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Brandon, MS
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkinsjm View Post

FOX, not KNDX, seems to be the holdup. KNDX had a deal in place with DirecTV. FOX is not approving any new retransmission agreements.

DirecTV has been adding Fox stations in other markets.
bamaweather is offline  
post #193 of 197 Old 11-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Member
 
adkinsjm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FOX isn't coming to DirecTV anytime soon, according to the station manager.
adkinsjm is offline  
post #194 of 197 Old 12-30-2011, 10:24 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member
 
EJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 2,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know this thread is over a year old, but unless the customer is ready to jump through some hoops, the locals they get from DirecTv, will not include FOX (interesting, when the ABC affiliate is owned by the same company.)

Oh yah, the locals you do get are from Bismarck, 100 miles to the south.

With the record flooding that devastated Minot this summer, our Minot CBS affiliate had 24/7 coverage. It was a vital community lifeline, and a lifeline you would have not gotten if you got "locals" through DirecTv.

Luckily I had my parents setup with an attic antenna that tied into a directv OTA module, so they get true Minot locals.

DirecTv claiming "locals" from 100 miles away is criminal.

Former USSB uplink operator.
EJ is offline  
post #195 of 197 Old 01-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Member
 
adkinsjm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ View Post

I know this thread is over a year old, but unless the customer is ready to jump through some hoops, the locals they get from DirecTv, will not include FOX (interesting, when the ABC affiliate is owned by the same company.)

Oh yah, the locals you do get are from Bismarck, 100 miles to the south.

With the record flooding that devastated Minot this summer, our Minot CBS affiliate had 24/7 coverage. It was a vital community lifeline, and a lifeline you would have not gotten if you got "locals" through DirecTv.

Luckily I had my parents setup with an attic antenna that tied into a directv OTA module, so they get true Minot locals.

DirecTv claiming "locals" from 100 miles away is criminal.

You have your facts wrong in a few spots. First, Forum Communications in Fargo owns the ABC affiliate in Bismarck, and second, DirecTV doesn't claim locals. There is a federal law that mandates what locals pay TV providers can give to customers. The Bismarck/Minot market is only one market and DirecTV doesn't have the bandwidth to provide the Minot channels as well as the Bismarck ones.

The ABC affiliate used to have a Local Marketing Agreement with the FOX station, but that ended in 2008. Now the station has an LMA with the CBS affilaite.
adkinsjm is offline  
post #196 of 197 Old 01-05-2012, 12:05 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member
 
EJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 2,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adkinsjm View Post

You have your facts wrong in a few spots. First, Forum Communications in Fargo owns the ABC affiliate in Bismarck, and second, DirecTV doesn't claim locals. There is a federal law that mandates what locals pay TV providers can give to customers. The Bismarck/Minot market is only one market and DirecTV doesn't have the bandwidth to provide the Minot channels as well as the Bismarck ones.

The ABC affiliate used to have a Local Marketing Agreement with the FOX station, but that ended in 2008. Now the station has an LMA with the CBS affilaite.

I stand corrected. I've been away and just moved back to Minot. I do realize that Bismarck/Minot/Williston/Dickenson is 1 DMA. I used to work at KIZZ-FM in Minot, back when they were owned by Meyer broadcasting. When they sold that, I stayed with Meyer and worked for KMOT(NBC). That was almost 20 years ago. A lot has changed, but not KXMC trouncing us in the ratings.

Former USSB uplink operator.
EJ is offline  
post #197 of 197 Old 02-17-2012, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Eyleron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Minot, ND
Posts: 1,838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I'm another one in Minot, ND.
Nice flood we had this past summer!

Fox/ABC are in HD. The only news station reporting news in HD is KXMC (CBS), which they remind us continually.

I notice that at least over Dish (haven't A/B tested with OTA yet), Fox's national prime time program volume is consistently low, and even after bumping the volume up 5+dB, it still sounds compressed.

If an engineer told me, "Yes, they're using dynamic compression to save on signal bandwidth," I'd believe that. If one said, "They're compressing the entire signal because the exec in Bismarck wants the commercials louder," I'd believe this. Or maybe it's bad equipment imparting distortion? Or some dial norm problem?
Eyleron is offline  
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off