Minot, ND - HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 197 Old 01-11-2005, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I wasn't sure if our little area of the world deserved its own thread, but heck, Fargos got one!

Anyway it lays out like this:

PBS has three OTA channels 3.1,3.2,3.3. I rarely watch them, although I have noticed it seems to be the most consistent and best PQ.

CBS 12.1 does a very nice job. I have a samsung ts360 and it identifies it as only a 'digital' channel most of the time, however, during last weeks Colts/Broncos game it did indicate 'HD' on the display and the picture was beautiful. The audio is Dolby Digital 2/0. Call letters kxmb-dt

NBC 5.1 does a 'fair' job. Commercials have the 'black bars'. Even Nascar has not been in 16x9 which is really stupid IMHO. The audio is PCM. Still better than nothing, just not great. Kfyr-dt

FOX and ABC are in a partnership namely westdakotafox and abcwest. I've spoken with the engineer, I think his name is Jason. It would seem that ABC has been approved for a tower and may be broadcasting 'sometime' in 2005, but in low power he told me. I don't know if anyone will be actually able to receive this signal or not, perhaps you need to move your house under the tower. FOX, however, has not applied for a tower permit and seems to have no plans to move forward with any sort of digital signal anytime in the near future. This irks the heck out of me, because I would trade all the other stations just to be able to see my Vikes in HD. Fox is KNDX and ABC is KBMY

If this affects you, please call west dakota fox and let them know your opinion. They do have an email address they consistently ignore, but they can't ignore us forever. Its sales@westdakotafox.com

thanks for any other thoughts or opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 197 Old 01-11-2005, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Nice Summary.

Bismarck "deserves" a thread as much as any other market, there just hasn't been any Bismarck residents here to start a thread. I'll add it to the official THREAD INDEX so any other area members will get directed to this thread.

If you don't mind, just update what's going on periodically (even if it just seems like you're talking to yourself ) - eventually other members will show up. If you subscribe to this thread, you'll be notified if anyone else joins into the conversation.
post #3 of 197 Old 01-11-2005, 04:17 PM

Re-titled as Minot, ND - HDTV....official thread for the Minot-Bismarck-Dickinson, ND DMA.
post #4 of 197 Old 01-11-2005, 04:19 PM

FYI KNDX (and KXND in Minot) are too new to have received second channels for DTV. They will have to run digital on the same channels they're currently using for analog -- they will have to shut down their analog signals before the digital can start. Obviously they won't be wanting to do that any sooner than absolutely necessary.

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66
http://www.w9wi.com
post #5 of 197 Old 01-11-2005, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by w9wi
FYI KNDX (and KXND in Minot) are too new to have received second channels for DTV. They will have to run digital on the same channels they're currently using for analog -- they will have to shut down their analog signals before the digital can start. Obviously they won't be wanting to do that any sooner than absolutely necessary.

I guess I do not fully understand the process, but can tell you that KNDX has been around since 04/06/1998. Is it not up to the network to apply for a second channel?

Quote:

Originally posted by CPanther95
Re-titled as Minot, ND - HDTV....official thread for the Minot-Bismarck-Dickinson, ND DMA.

I don't know if you knew, or perhaps it is by design, but I don't understand why they lump all of these stations into one DMA, as Bismarcks OTA signals have no shot at reaching Minot 100 miles north or Williston 150 miles west. I'm not trying to be picky or at all rude, please don't misconstrue, But Bismarck, Minot and Williston are wholly different animals as it pertains to television markets. Perhaps the thread title could list all three, as to not be confusing?
post #6 of 197 Old 01-11-2005, 05:40 PM

We formatted the whole forum by DMA. If Neilsen breaks them up, we will also. More importantly, until there are more members involved in discussion, there's no point in creating separate threads.
post #7 of 197 Old 01-11-2005, 06:59 PM

Quote:

I guess I do not fully understand the process, but can tell you that KNDX has been around since 04/06/1998. Is it not up to the network to apply for a second channel?

Stations that were on the air by a given deadline (sometime in 1997 IIRC) were assigned a second channel for digital by the FCC. When that deadline hit, there were a number of applications on file for new stations, applications that the FCC had not yet acted on. The Commission has since acted on most (but not yet all) of these applications. They have NOT assigned second channels for digital to these stations. KNDX and KXND fell into this gap.

These stations certainly can ask the FCC to assign a second channel for digital. I know KBEJ (UPN for San Antonio, Texas) has asked for a digital channel but the FCC hasn't yet acted on the request. I think one L.A. station has been approved for a second channel. To the best of my knowledge KNDX and KXND haven't applied. There may be international issues that close to the border.

Given how long the Texas application has been on file without action, if KNDX applied today I wouldn't count on them getting an assignment until after the deadline for shutting down analog...

WRT the DMAs, aren't the Williston and Minot transmitters essentially relays of the Bismarck affiliates of the same networks? I don't think they usually create another DMA unless there are stations in that city that originate their own programs. I know most of Minnesota is one DMA, as is most of Kansas and the entire state of Utah.

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66
http://www.w9wi.com
post #8 of 197 Old 01-12-2005, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally posted by w9wi
Stations that were on the air by a given deadline (sometime in 1997 IIRC) were assigned a second channel for digital by the FCC. When that deadline hit, there were a number of applications on file for new stations, applications that the FCC had not yet acted on. The Commission has since acted on most (but not yet all) of these applications. They have NOT assigned second channels for digital to these stations. KNDX and KXND fell into this gap.

Thanks, I didn't know that. It's unfortunate

Regarding the retransmitting to Minot et al, thats entirely possible, I don't live their so I'm not sure. However, the availability of OTA digital will differ between these areas, no doubt.
post #9 of 197 Old 01-31-2005, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

KNDX recently updated their website. I realize expecting digital from this network is a pipe dream, but if this effects you please contact them and air your feelings at kndx@westdakotafox.com.

The most amusing part of the new website is an advertisement for CheckHD, which, when you click on, clearly shows that they provide no local HD coverage. Unbelievably stupid.
post #10 of 197 Old 04-08-2005, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Spoke with Jeff today, one of the engineers for ABC/FOX. Very nice guy who was willing to share information. ABC(16.1) is up and running in the Bismarck area, but very low power. It will only be received one to two miles from the transmitter in south bismarck. I cannot receive it in Mandan, 7 miles away. Fox, OTOH, is a different story. As stated earlier, KNDX went on the air(analog) so recently that they were not given a second channel. He said, "one day Fox will be analog, and the next, Digital" citing the middle of summer 2006. I still doubt that cut off date will ever come to fruition. I could see 2010. Maybe.

What would happen with the cable company, in that case, which now provides so many people with their analog fox signal? If there was no analog signal to pass along, no fox without digital equipment. All of this happening one year from now...? not a chance in hell.

well, its been nice talking to myself again in my minot/bismarck/williston thread. See ya next year!
post #11 of 197 Old 04-08-2005, 08:56 AM

I'm listening. Sad to say I can't add much about the area, but YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

Well, I guess you are, but at least you don't need to feel like you're talking to yourself.
post #12 of 197 Old 04-12-2005, 01:44 PM

Hey everyone (well, both of you anyway)! I thought I would chime in. I live in a valley in Northeast Bismarck. With a cheap ($25) RCA amplified antenna that I picked up at Walmart and an LG LST-4200A HD tuner, I am able to get decent digital signals from KXMB, KFYR, and the 3 PBS DTV broadcasts. I am also able to receive a weak DTV signal from the ABC affiliate (KBMY) which is being broadcast from downtown Bismarck. However, the ABC signal is too weak so I'm unable to get a picture from it. KBMY has told me they are not likely to get a higher-power transmitter up before 2006. Midcontinent Cable is currently (April '05) rebroadcasting the OTA DTV signals from KXMB and PBS (only channel 3.1 of the 3 PBS DTV channels) through its cable system. I am able to receive these DTV signals that are being rebroadcast on the cable system on my LG LST-4200A. Midcontinent and KFYR are in "talks" to allow Midcontinent to rebroadcast the KFYR DTV signal. I am also able to pick up a ton of digital music channels through the Midcontinent cable system.

WrightWing - Did KBMY tell you why they are not broadcasting a stronger signal from downtown Bismarck? It wouldn't take much more for me to be able to pick it up. I sure would like to see Monday night football in HD.

Terry
post #13 of 197 Old 04-12-2005, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Ya know TJ, I never really asked, although I wish I would have. I assume its because they are only using the the tower on top of the bank building to broadcast, rather than a big tower down in St. Anthony.

Theres a good job for ya tomorrow, call them up and ask the engineer why they don't increase the power a little. My TS-360 stops and thinks a little when it goes by channel 16, so there must be something in the air.

BTW, thanks for chiming in, I was begining to think I was the only one in ND with an HD setup. KXMB(cbs) does a damn fine job, don't ya think?
post #14 of 197 Old 09-11-2005, 02:31 PM

Hey TJ, Midco is advertising HD here now that they've finally completed a system upgrade.

How is the picture quality of their HD offerings?

I have been a DirecTV subscriber for more than 10 years, but the Midco package looks attractive--their digital package with HD is not considerable more than what I have been paying for DirecTV and it includes the Bismarck locals in standard def, which DirecTV is STILL not offering.
post #15 of 197 Old 12-25-2005, 09:44 AM

I live near Minot, about 30 miles away and in a valley. With a large yagi and a 30db amp I am able to get KXMC-DT 45 (CBS 13.1 Minot) and KSRE-DT 40 (PBS 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 Minot).

Regarding the Minot area, our CBS affiliate, KXMC, is a local station. The noon, 6pm, and 10pm news/weather/sports is produced and broadcast locally. It is only the morning and 5pm news that is done in cooperation with Bismarck KXMB. The Dickinson station, KXMA is mostly a relay of KXMB from Bismarck. The Williston station, KXMD is mostly a relay of KXMC from Minot. All four cities have local advertisments and station offices. These four stations are owned by the Reiten family and have nothing to do with the Fargo or Grand Forks CBS stations. As a bit of trivia, KXMC-TV 13 Minot was the first television station in North Dakota, back in 1953.

NBC is a slightly different story. KMOT-TV 10 Minot is run locally and has a full studio and reporter staff, but the weather segment and some of the news segments are relayed from Bismarck. Also the Bismarck station has the ability to control the Minot station's switching equipment. I'm not sure if this is ever done as I believe the Minot station has 24/7 human+computer operated master control. I look forward to KMOT-DT (NBC) and hope it comes on the air soon. From what I understand, they are in a hurry as well because their primary analog transmitter is broken down and they are currently using an old beast from the late 1960s.

PBS, "Prairie Public Television" is simulcast all across the state, including Fargo and Grand Forks, North Dakota, and Winnipeg and Brandon, Manitoba Canada.

ABC and Fox for West Dakota are simulcast for all four Minot, Bismarck, Williston, and Dickinson.
post #16 of 197 Old 03-25-2006, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightwing View Post

See ya next year!

Here we are again. Nothing has changed on the digital TV front in the Bismarck/Mandan area in the last year. ABC (16.1) is still very low power, and their are no plans to change it. Fox is analog only and will be so until 2009, the cut-off date. Actually, they might just pull out and go dark after that time. They have begun a pissing match with the local cable company(midcontinent) requesting them to pay to carry their analog channel. It is Midcontinents policy not to pay for rebroadcasting OTA. I dont know what the story is with the management over at the Fox affiliate, but to withhold signal from the only cable company in the area would seem like a hindrance to advertising sales IMO. Also, the Fox and ABC affiliates(owned by the same company, prime cities broadcasting) issue blanket denials of waivers for anyone requesting distant network HDTV. You can't argue with them, they claim its all 'computer controlled'.

Midcontinent Cable is carrying NBC,PBS,CBS in HD. Ive never seen it myself, but heard good reports.

CBS and NBC offer a beautiful picture on their respective channels, No 5.1 audio however, although it is 'digital 2/0' according to my Sony receiver. These networks do not multicast, and episodes of ER or CSI are a sight to behold. PBS multicasts, as they all do, I imagine, but still have a very acceptable digital picture.

thanks!
post #17 of 197 Old 11-17-2006, 07:14 AM

Bump to avoid archiving.
post #18 of 197 Old 11-19-2006, 09:33 AM

Hello to all!! I live about 40-45 miles NW of minot in Mohall and I also am waiting for more HD!! I can receive CBS and PBS digitial with a 30ft tower and large boosted antenna, I also get the FOX and Abc in analog. I was just told that there will be more activity in the Bismarck area, on the first of the year, any news to share for us?? Also does any one have any info on Canadian HD that would be close enough to receive here in North Dakota?? JW
post #19 of 197 Old 01-21-2007, 10:54 AM

Hello all, I just moved to Bismarck and just purchased my first HDTV recently. I picked up an RCA amplified indoor antenna and I can get the 3 PBS and the CBS stations perfectly. Any more news on the other stations?
post #20 of 197 Old 01-27-2007, 06:56 AM

I live in north bismarck and receive NBC but it is touchy, occassionally I will have to adjust the antenna. I am just using a pair of old rabbit ears though. ABC is also out there but I have yet to hear of anyone receiving it.
post #21 of 197 Old 01-27-2007, 08:29 AM

Ok, I live a couple blocks north of the CBS station so I think the hill might be blocking my reception?
post #22 of 197 Old 01-30-2007, 08:29 AM

I live two blocks due north of the Capitol in a small valley. Back in late '04 when I had Voom installed the installer put an OTA antenna on the roof but we were unable to get any signals whatsoever. He was convinced the antenna was defective and said he'd replace it in about a week but I never saw him again.

When Voom went under I switched to Midcontinent, and the local digital/HD stations I got through them were quite nice. Back in August I switched to Dish Network and dropped Midcontinent entirely, television service was great but I was running in circles with their ISP techs regarding poor gateway management and, after months and months of getting nowhere decided to drop the company's services entirely.

Which brings us to now. I'm wanting to get an OTA antenna to get the superbowl in HD this weekend but am wondering if anyone thinks the combination of the shallow valley (on Capitol Ave and 6th St) and the Capitol building itself will render my efforts futile. I still have the tuners Voom signed over to me when they went under, all I need is an antenna (considering trying the Philips MANT940) to pull CBS reception (wouldn't mind others as well).

I love the other HD channels from Dish, it blows away the quality I got from DirectTV and rivals Midco which surprised me. I really shouldn't be, they got Voom's old Rainbow sat which had a lot of bandwidth so I see very few artifacts and have yet to experience significant rain fade.

I'd just like to be getting those locals again as well, hopefully by this weekend in time for the game.
post #23 of 197 Old 01-30-2007, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

I doubt you will have much problem. I have a 6 ft standard antenna(menards) on my garage in Mandan, CBS, NBC, and PBS all come in fantastic. My dad is in north bismarck and his antenna is in his attic, he gets excellent reception also. Just dont be shy with the size of that antenna. You will be happier in the long run if you dont have to make adjustments all the time.

You wont get ABC, however, they are low power and are just sitting on their channel assignment, i think. Them folks at FOX/ABC are really running a half-a** operation.
post #24 of 197 Old 01-30-2007, 08:48 AM

I've certainly gotten that impression about FOX/ABC, I'll admit I wouldn't mind FOX programming in HD but it doesn't look like I should keep my hopes up for it.

Going to pick up this antenna tonight for a temp install and see if I get anything out of it. If it's something that'll work for a channel or two I'll look at upgrading to something more permanent.

I have three of these Voom tuners that are unlocked for OTA, I've been thinking about taking one out to my folks 2.5 miles north of Mandan to see if we can get any reception out there. They're about a mile west of the river and can see some Bismarck structures, I just don't know how strong some of these antennas are or where exactly they're placed. Would be fun to get them enjoying their new HDTV with some OTA though.

The biggest boon would be if my tax return shows up in time for an order to Epson before the weekend; that combined with hopefully decent CBS HD reception would mean watching the game in HD on a nine foot screen. Time will tell.

Thanks for your input!
post #25 of 197 Old 01-30-2007, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Try http://www.antennaweb.org. its a excellent resource for choosing an antenna that will suit your needs.

I believe all the transmitters are in St. Anthony, 18-20 miles south of Mandan.
post #26 of 197 Old 01-30-2007, 11:30 AM

Thanks, worked great!
post #27 of 197 Old 01-30-2007, 07:26 PM

Alright. I picked up the Philips MANT940, set it on the piano in my large south-facing picture window, and plugged it in to the older Motorola tuner signed over to me when Voom went under. With a bit of adjusting I'm able to get PBS 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3, CBS 12.1, and NBC 5.1 all with signal strengths in the 90s (of 100). Couldn't get the ABC signal but wasn't really expecting to. I noticed very occassional fade but expect this too will improve once I mount and position the antenna permanently, higher on the outside of the house.

Anyway, works great, thanks for the help!
post #28 of 197 Old 03-15-2007, 07:49 AM

This is the response to me asking when KMOT Channel 10 NBC would start HD in Minot!! JW Hello,

KMOT is not going to broadcast on channel 58. The current plan is to flash-cut to digital on the current channel 10 in February 2009.

Brian Funk

Chief Engineer

KFYR-TV, KMOT-TV, KUMV-TV, KQCD-TV
post #29 of 197 Old 03-15-2007, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j wherley View Post

This is the response to me asking when KMOT Channel 10 NBC would start HD in Minot!! JW Hello,

KMOT is not going to broadcast on channel 58. The current plan is to flash-cut to digital on the current channel 10 in February 2009.

Brian Funk

Chief Engineer

KFYR-TV, KMOT-TV, KUMV-TV, KQCD-TV

That sucks. But at least he was kind enough to write you back. Unlike KNDX here in Bismarck. They have no damn clue, The engineer I spoke to tried to convince me digital was no better than analog.
post #30 of 197 Old 04-08-2007, 01:31 PM

Any word on Minot's FOX getting into HD?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page