Hattiesburg, MS - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 429 Old 08-16-2007, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Glad to see we've got some on the gulf coast here. Let me ask you guys about the New Orleans Locals, anyone getting them? I live over in Diamondhead and am looking at installing a CM7777/4228 combo. What all would are you getting if your near my area?

thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 429 Old 08-19-2007, 07:17 AM

Any information on when or if that CBS HD tower has become active for Hattiesburg?
post #93 of 429 Old 08-21-2007, 12:10 PM

Some sources list WDAM HD as being on channels 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3 which are VHF channels. An FCC file list WDAM DTV as being channel 28 which is UHF.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thankyou.
post #94 of 429 Old 08-22-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhous View Post

Some sources list WDAM HD as being on channels 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3 which are VHF channels. An FCC file list WDAM DTV as being channel 28 which is UHF.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thankyou.

WDAM broadcasts on 28.1-28.3. My tuner auto-remapped these to 7.1-7.3 after I first tuned in, to match WDAM's analog channel assignment. Perhaps this is what caused the confusion with your other sources.

Indecision is the basis of flexibility.
post #95 of 429 Old 08-22-2007, 01:19 PM

I live in Gulfport in the Orange Grove area. I just got into this OTA stuff about a month ago. My first antenna was the cm4228 with the 7777 preamp. I mounted on a 20ft pole and had good success except for the bad multipath I was receiving from WWL(4.1) and espeacially WDSU(6.1). The frustrating part was I good pick up FOX 8 with no drops. When I pointed the antenna to Mobile I could pick up WKRG (5.1) with no drops and WEAR (3.1) with some drops doing the day. I decided to switch to the XG91 with is much lighter and suppose to handle multipath. Well, it does seem to bring in stronger signals on some of the stations but it still not resolving my issues I have with wwl and wdsu. I think I'm just going to keep the antenna pointed to mobile. When the sun was going down last night, I did a rescan and my tv found over 25 digital stations. I was getting over 94% signal strength on 3.1,5.1,15.1 and not to mention all the pbs stations. Also picking up wxxv wlox and pbs from the side. In summary, this is what I got

XG 91
20 ft pole
cm 7777 preamp mounted on pole
New Belkin RG6 Quad (solid copper) <50 ft.

Glad to see some people in here that live on the coast.
Mike

By the way, how do you start a new thread under gulfport/Biloxi or could we create a GulfCoast,MS thread?
post #96 of 429 Old 09-03-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdski View Post

I live in Gulfport in the Orange Grove area. I just got into this OTA stuff about a month ago. My first antenna was the cm4228 with the 7777 preamp. I mounted on a 20ft pole and had good success except for the bad multipath I was receiving from WWL(4.1) and espeacially WDSU(6.1). The frustrating part was I good pick up FOX 8 with no drops. When I pointed the antenna to Mobile I could pick up WKRG (5.1) with no drops and WEAR (3.1) with some drops doing the day. I decided to switch to the XG91 with is much lighter and suppose to handle multipath. Well, it does seem to bring in stronger signals on some of the stations but it still not resolving my issues I have with wwl and wdsu. I think I'm just going to keep the antenna pointed to mobile. When the sun was going down last night, I did a rescan and my tv found over 25 digital stations. I was getting over 94% signal strength on 3.1,5.1,15.1 and not to mention all the pbs stations. Also picking up wxxv wlox and pbs from the side. In summary, this is what I got

XG 91
20 ft pole
cm 7777 preamp mounted on pole
New Belkin RG6 Quad (solid copper) <50 ft.

Glad to see some people in here that live on the coast.
Mike

By the way, how do you start a new thread under gulfport/Biloxi or could we create a GulfCoast,MS thread?

I'm over in St. Martin. I sent a pm to a Moderator asking how we could start a thread for Biloxi/Gulfport area.

By the way, can you or anyone else get either WDSU out of New Orleans or WPMI out of Mobile? Cableone does not offer NBC in HD. I have a projector so watching the Saints game this Thursday in SD will stink. I want to hook up through my Motorola HD Cable Box which is connected to my projector with a HDMI cable.

Jay Foster
post #97 of 429 Old 09-03-2007, 06:11 PM

I just learned yesterday that WDSU was back on OTA so I did a rescan and it found the channel and came in quite good for a day but isn't so great today. I'm not a big NBC watcher but will on Thursdays for the NFL so I hope it works well on that day alone.

I'm in Long Beach near the tracks and my CM4228 is pointed towards New Orleans and I get Fox8 good and WWL fairly good. WLOX, PBS, and WXXV come in fine as always.
post #98 of 429 Old 09-03-2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVSaurus View Post

I just learned yesterday that WDSU was back on OTA so I did a rescan and it found the channel and came in quite good for a day but isn't so great today. I'm not a big NBC watcher but will on Thursdays for the NFL so I hope it works well on that day alone.

I'm in Long Beach near the tracks and my CM4228 is pointed towards New Orleans and I get Fox8 good and WWL fairly good. WLOX, PBS, and WXXV come in fine as always.

If you could update tomorrow on whether you get WDSU HD or WPMI HD, I'd appreciate it. I'm about to pull the trigger on an antenna for the game but I'd rather not go through the hassle if it will not work.

Jay Foster
post #99 of 429 Old 09-04-2007, 06:00 AM

Jay, I responded to a post from you in the New Orleans forum. NBC for me is tough to pick up digital in the daytime and at night. I actually have pretty good luck picking up NBC out of Mobile. The antenna I'm using makes a pretty good vhs antenna so if I'm getting bad drops I can actually switch to analog and still get a decent picture. This is what I'm planning for Thrusday night saints game. I did have the XG 91 but took it down and went with CM 4228. NBC out of Mobile broadcast on channel 15 (vhs) 15.1 and 15.2. Let me just say this, when thursday night comes I will have my antenna pointed towards mobile.
post #100 of 429 Old 10-12-2007, 08:05 AM

I live in Hattiesburg, MS. I have a Vizio with a built in antenna. I can pick up WDAM (2-1), ABC (3-1), and FOX (68-1) in Hi-Def without an external antenna. Does anyone know if a CBS HD channel is available around Hattiesburg?
post #101 of 429 Old 10-12-2007, 08:13 AM

You can really pick up ABC out of Pensacola without an external antenna?!?!?!? and FOX?! Wow, simply wow. I didn't know this was possible. CBS out of Laurel/Hattiesburg is still not broadcasting in HD.
post #102 of 429 Old 10-12-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crimsonblake View Post

You can really pick up ABC out of Pensacola without an external antenna?!?!?!? and FOX?! Wow, simply wow. I didn't know this was possible. CBS out of Laurel/Hattiesburg is still not broadcasting in HD.

Yes. The primetime shows on ABC and Fox are 720i. Most of the other shows on Fox are SD. NBC is at 1080i. Thanks for the info about CBS.
How do you know what city the channels are broadcasting from?
post #103 of 429 Old 10-12-2007, 10:57 AM

Wow, I have a pretty good Terk directional antenna that lets me get NBC in Hattiesburg and ABC on the coast, but I can't get Fox, and I point it that direction.
post #104 of 429 Old 10-16-2007, 10:51 AM

mrholder
These channels are coming in on comcast cable, right
if not, You are in a ideal place as far as reception goes
congrats!!!
post #105 of 429 Old 10-18-2007, 12:57 PM

Covak
I have Comcast analog cable (no HD box or whatever you have to rent from Comcast). I have two versions of ABC, one analog and one OTA digital. Same for NBC and Fox. I only have the analog CBS right now. I need to make a correction from a previous post- I'm not receiving ABC from Pensacola. It's WLOX from the coast. I live in a fairly high part of town without any trees in the yard. I don't know if that makes a difference. After seeing the previous comments, I feel very fortunate to be able to pick up some hd channels without having to subscribe to them.
post #106 of 429 Old 10-18-2007, 06:54 PM

mrholder,
The company I work for sells Tv's, I run the auto channel search
about once a week, We are on comcast, the digitals are coming and going right now, the digital locals stations have been pretty consistent though.
If I were You, I would scan pretty often with all the testing that seems to be taking place, You might get to watch some different channels for awhile.
post #107 of 429 Old 10-20-2007, 09:40 AM

Has anyone else having a problem not picking up 25.1 anymore? The last two days I have notice not signal detected when i tune my TV to 25.1.
post #108 of 429 Old 10-20-2007, 04:14 PM

Fox 25 did disappear for a while now its back.
post #109 of 429 Old 11-28-2007, 12:14 PM

I finally received a reply from the station manager at WHLT in Hattiesburg after many emails concerning lack of HD programming. This was his response.

"WHLT will go HD on Feb. 17th 2009. I have the new transmitter and tower in 2008's budget."

I find this absurd considering the amount of HD programming available on CBS. The sister station has been broadcasting in HD for a while. I don't really understand the issues.
post #110 of 429 Old 12-14-2007, 06:14 PM

I spoke to the station manager during a career fair at USM....appearantly it was budgeting issues and he's going to broadcast in 1080P

i was like "....i'm sure we'll take 1080i or the jackson feed....."
post #111 of 429 Old 12-21-2007, 08:47 AM

It is hard to believe that they did not have a plan to get HD installed at an earlier date. WDAM, WLOX, and WXXV already have HD in place.
Our CBS feed is AWFUL on Comcast analog.
If the Saints make the playoffs (yes I know this is a leap of faith), I hope CBS does not carry any of the games.
post #112 of 429 Old 12-30-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muerte33 View Post

It is hard to believe that they did not have a plan to get HD installed at an earlier date. WDAM, WLOX, and WXXV already have HD in place.
Our CBS feed is AWFUL on Comcast analog.

I was thinking the same thing. I am from Hattiesburg but don't live there now due to work but we were home for the holidays and I was shocked when my Father-in-Law told me that we couldn't watch NFL Football on CBS in HD last weekend. Sounds like extremely poor planning on the part of WHLT
post #113 of 429 Old 01-03-2008, 11:24 AM

Can't WJTV-DT "CBS" be picked up in Hattiesburg from Jackson OTA?

On cold nights I'm able to get it OTA and their weather channel at 75%. Along with other analog jackson and meridian stations plus WDAM's digital channels.
post #114 of 429 Old 01-20-2008, 12:30 PM

Only HD channel I can get with my indoor powered OTA antenna is WDAM.
I guess we are 12 months away from CBS HD.
The game today looks horrible (Pats vs Bolts) on Comcast analog cable.
post #115 of 429 Old 01-31-2008, 03:19 PM

Hello all,

This is Jim Wilkinson, chief engineer at WDAM. We have just upgraded our encoding equipment and put the new gear on the air today. The upconverted signal on 7.1 is improved and we are now passing NBC's 5.1 audio and converting our stereo audio to 5.1.

One more improvement is that we will no longer have to cut out of NBC's HD signal to air weather crawls.

I hope you like the improvements and would like to hear back with your feedback.

Jim
post #116 of 429 Old 02-01-2008, 11:46 AM

Hi Jim,

Will WDAM go up on power OTA? We sometimes get WDAM OTA here in Biloxi at night. One thing I've never understood is why South Mississippi never got an NBC affiliate. If WDAM's tower would have been built in the area where WLOX and Fox 25's tower is it could have served both Hattiesburg and South Mississippi. The coast then would have all the major affiliates.

WDAM does a much better job on the news then WLOX.
post #117 of 429 Old 02-03-2008, 06:00 PM

Wow, I'm truly surprised that you can pick us up at all in Biloxi. At this point I don't think we will get an increase in power. We may move back to channel 7 but Raycom hasn't made that decision yet.

As far as tower location goes, you're exactly right but I guess back then they didn't think about anything except finding cheap land. 52 years later and we're still out in the boondocks.

Can you not pick up Mobile or N.O.?
post #118 of 429 Old 02-07-2008, 09:46 AM

Can get them at night, but not that good during the day.

I have just about as good luck picking up WDAM as I do WDSU from N.O.

It's something to be able to get three NBC affiliates and have the same issues on all of them.
post #119 of 429 Old 02-10-2008, 06:17 PM

I am in the Avenues area of Hattiesburg. I have a recently attempted to re-install an in attic off air antenna for HD reception. I was getting HD Fox from the coast at one point but the signal was weak as well as maybe ABC at one point...now it seems the signals no longer exists and all I get is NBC. Can I get an update on what anyone else in the area is recieving as far as network channels. Thanks!
post #120 of 429 Old 02-11-2008, 06:45 AM

I have a Terk indoor directional antenna in Hattiesburg, and I can pick up NBC, ABC, and FOX, though ABC and FOX have some problems during the day.

What I want to ask (and I tried emailing the engineers at WDAM and never got a satisfactory answer) is why I can hook that antenna up to my dish box and get WDAM fine, but when its connected to my media center PC I don't get anything. Media center shows a 90%+ signal, but its just a blank screen. WLOX on the coast comes in fine on it, but not WDAM. I don't have a clue why this would be a problem.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page