Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 429 Old 12-30-2008, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin D View Post

WHLT isn't broadcasting digital OTA yet either. Last time I talked to them, it "wasn't in the budget for 2008".

So they might have something by the cut-off date, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

Kevin D.

Are they not required to be OTA digital month after next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 429 Old 01-01-2009, 10:56 AM

In small markets, there is often an incomplete set of national networks available from local over-the-air sources. A small city with only one or two commercial stations would not be able to carry the full programming lineup from all of the four largest commercial networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX) in analogue as one station could only broadcast one program at a time. This limitation could be overcome by adding the additional networks as digital subchannels of existing local commercial stations. One prime example of this is in the Wheeling, West Virginia/Steubenville, Ohio market, which for decades has had only two television stations (CBS affiliate WTRF-TV and NBC affiliate WTOV-TV, as well as cable-only CW affiliate WBWO) and had to mostly rely on stations in Pittsburgh (and to a lesser extent Columbus and Youngstown, Ohio) for other networks. However, with the advent of digital television, it has allowed WTRF to launch two digital channels (one for Fox with MyNetworkTV as a secondary affiliate, the other for ABC) while still airing the full CBS schedule on its main signal.

In many cases, these "new" channels are existing secondary channels which were carried by a low-power or Class A station or by a cable television channel. Often, a full-power TV station acquires or already owns a low-power secondary station in the same market to carry a second network. The use of a digital subchannel on a full power TV station as a replacement for LPTV greatly increases coverage areas for this programming.

With the launches of The CW and MyNetworkTV, many television stations have been launching subchannels affiliating with these secondary networks.

Other stations have launched separate independent stations on their DT-2 signals.

Temporary installations
A digital subchannel can be used to restore service from a station which has been knocked off-the-air due to an antenna tower collapse; the affected signal would be made available in standard-definition on a subchannel of another local broadcaster, most often a competitor. KATV (ABC, Little Rock) was forced to follow this path in 2008, moving its digital signal to a subchannel of local My Network TV affiliate KWBF after a tower collapse knocked its main signal off-air. The virtual channel numbering scheme allows an existing licensed broadcaster to keep its displayed channel number unchanged (KATV ABC 7 in this case) even if the signal is carried physically as a subchannel of some other local station.

My Questions are to Jim Wilkinson:

1. Any word on what WDAM plans on doing with 7.2 and 7.3? Have you heard of the dot 2 network? It could be a good choice for 7.2, right?

2. Any chance of maybe Temporarily broadcasting WHLT til they get their Digital Antenna up and working?
post #183 of 429 Old 01-02-2009, 05:35 AM

WS1l,

Our "new" transmitter will be one that is pulled out of service at another Raycom station after the transition. I don't know yet when it will arrive but I don't expect it to happen until much later in the year.

BTW, here's a link to what the FCC expects our coverage to be at 347kw.

http://www.fcc.gov/dtv/markets/maps_...-Laurel_MS.pdf

Jim Wilkinson
WDAM
post #184 of 429 Old 01-02-2009, 05:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
Hello:

What is happening with WDAM's subchannels now that Weather Plus has ended? Is WDAM one of the many stations continuing to use the Weather Plus gear to do a local weather service?

Thanks.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #185 of 429 Old 01-02-2009, 05:51 AM

MGMims,

1, There is some talk about a sports channel that NBC Universal is offering. Other than that I don't know.

2. No chance in the world of us carrying WHLT. Even if we did it would have to be a SD signal. There's not enough bandwidth to carry two 1080 HD signals. We'll just have to wait for them to switch in February.

Trip,

Since all we did was pass through the WX+ signal, we don't have any of the equipment some other stations have to put local wx content on.

Jim Wilkinson
WDAM
post #186 of 429 Old 01-02-2009, 06:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
So both subchannels are dark now?

Thanks.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #187 of 429 Old 01-02-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkiesan28 View Post

WS1l,

Our "new" transmitter will be one that is pulled out of service at another Raycom station after the transition. I don't know yet when it will arrive but I don't expect it to happen until much later in the year.

BTW, here's a link to what the FCC expects our coverage to be at 347kw.

Jim Wilkinson
WDAM

Great info...thanks Jim.
post #188 of 429 Old 01-02-2009, 12:44 PM

Thanks for all the great information the posters on this board have provided.

Just want to share my experience with the digital conversion.

I have a Mother-in-Law that lives in the Oak Grove area. I recently installed a Zenith DTT-901 converter box so that she would be ready for the digital conversion on 02/2009. Long story short, after the converter box install, she was unable to pickup any channels with her current UHF/VHF amplified antenna.

To solve the problem, I looked at a variety of options for antenna upgrades. To see if it would work, I made and installed the following "clothes hanger" antenna found on Youtube (see link below).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw

This antenna was then installed oudoors, and I was shocked to see how well it performed. I am now pulling in the following with very good reception:

7-1
7-2
7-3
13-1
13-2
13-3
19-1
19-2
19-3
25-1

We're all aware of the CBS affiliate's situation (22-1)...so obviously not getting that at the moment, will report back once WHLT comes online.

Hope this helps someone out there. This antenna is easily made and performs very well. A nice solution for those looking to save a buck or two. If you decide to install this, don't forget the obvious...be safe and ground the coaxial cable before it gets into the house.

Best Regards,
Dennis
post #189 of 429 Old 01-02-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post

So both subchannels are dark now?

Thanks.

- Trip

Yep, both dark.

Jim
post #190 of 429 Old 01-05-2009, 11:36 PM

I live in an apartment in Hattiesburg, which makes it really difficult to set up an effective antenna.
Is there any suggestion you can give me as far as setting one up that may pick up digital channels?
I have an antenna that I've tried to set up, but I've had zero luck picking up digital channels.
If dheadrick123 is right about the deal he set up, sounds like he's a miracle worker.
post #191 of 429 Old 01-06-2009, 04:18 AM

WDAM will performing an analog shutoff "soft test" Monday 1/12 at 10:05pm. The digital signal will be unaffected but we'll be running a graphic for five minutes on the analog channel.

The graphic will explain that if you are seeing this then you aren't ready for the digital conversion and gives out a toll free number setup by the MS Assoc. of Broadcasters for any questions you may have.

Jim Wilkinson
WDAM
post #192 of 429 Old 01-06-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBurgHDnut View Post

I live in an apartment in Hattiesburg, which makes it really difficult to set up an effective antenna.
Is there any suggestion you can give me as far as setting one up that may pick up digital channels?
I have an antenna that I've tried to set up, but I've had zero luck picking up digital channels.
If dheadrick123 is right about the deal he set up, sounds like he's a miracle worker.

We're building one here at the station. I'll let you know how it works.
post #193 of 429 Old 01-07-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkiesan28 View Post

We're building one here at the station. I'll let you know how it works.

Jim,

I'm curious to know if my implementation was successful to do variables that are likely in our favor (e.g. local terrain, signal path, etc), or if the antenna is solid enough to be a viable alternative for most people.

I'll look forward to your findings...

Best Regards,
Dennis
post #194 of 429 Old 01-08-2009, 08:41 AM

I'm getting lots of dropouts in the last few days from WDAM's digital OTA signal, enough to make it unwatchable. In recent months the signal has been pretty good. Nothing has changed on my end. I'm using a Terk indoor antenna and I'm in the Oak Grove area.

Any idea what's going on? And, is the current situation the final equipment, or is something still going to change on or before mid-February?

Edited to Add: Sorry, I hadn't seen Jim's post above about a new transmitter from another Raycom station. And it sounds like you aren't transmitting full power yet, right?

Thanks, -Ken-
post #195 of 429 Old 01-08-2009, 02:12 PM

Jim,

Do you know what's going on with the Closed Captions on 7.1? The last few programs I watched I don't remember them displaying the closed captions on the Primetime shows. And I get CC on 13.1.

Thanks.

MGMims
post #196 of 429 Old 01-10-2009, 05:54 AM

BJI.

We are at full power for our existing transmitter. It will be a while before we get the larger one. Maybe much longer than expected if the new administration pushes the cutoff date until June.

MG,

Can you tell me when you were having trouble with CC? I just checked at home and everything looks OK.

Jim Wilkinson
WDAM
jwilkinson@wdam.com
post #197 of 429 Old 01-11-2009, 02:08 AM

Jim,

Knight Rider didn't have any Wednesday Night but Lipstick Jungle did Friday Night. So maybe its working now.

MGMims
post #198 of 429 Old 01-14-2009, 11:37 PM

Hello , Jim what is the polarization of the DTV antenna at WDAM ? my sister has a van with a antenna in the fiberglass roof so we don't know what it look's like but it picks up DTV better than the house one !
post #199 of 429 Old 01-15-2009, 09:04 PM

I'm on 98 at the Marion/Lamar County Line

Have a big ChannelMaster Antenna (I Think it might be a Wineguard I don't remember)

Have a Titan Amp

a Digital/Analog conversion box and a Sammy DTB-H260F

No rotator on antenna yet; it's about 35 foot up a pole

with the Antenna pointed north of Petal I can get the Coast stations (ABC,Fox,PBS) I'd say poorly 2 bars on the Sammy box at night about the same on the Digital/Analog box (less than 1 during the Day)

but I can't get WDAM

I've not rotated the antenna toward the coast to see if I can get those transmitters to come in solid but the main concern is getting WDAM

anybody got any ideas what I'm doing wrong ?

Barry
post #200 of 429 Old 01-17-2009, 02:29 PM

Hello all. Currently having very little luck getting WDAM's digital signal, no problem at all with the analog signal. Antenna is one of the larger RS outdoor models. Can get channel 25's and 13's signal with the antenna pointed towards the coast, but not so well with it it pointing towards WDAM. I had no luck at all with the boxes Wally World sells, had purchased a Weingard Box from my former boss, but it shows very little signal at all. Any ideas for this former TV technican ( my previous job of 17 yrs ).
post #201 of 429 Old 01-18-2009, 04:09 PM

djdons,

We put a antenna down the road from okatoma outdoor
it picked up great, 7,13,14,19,25,34,(digitals) I know that you can't be too far from there
it was a 8 bay Channel master 4228 with a 0064 amp
post #202 of 429 Old 01-19-2009, 09:09 PM

Thanks for the info. Had forgotten about the Channel master 8 bay antenna. Used quite a few at the old job before using mostly Weingards for installs. Used to live in N.E. Ohio before moving to Miss. Needed to use the 8 bays as well as several of the larger antennas to get most of the stations, area I lived at was at least 70 miles from the major tv stations ( Cleveland Oh.).

I would guess N & H might be the place to get channel master antennas locally?
post #203 of 429 Old 01-21-2009, 03:17 PM

Any good idea on what is needed to pick up Channel 7 WAAAAYYY over here in Soso ( w/nw of Laurel)? I'm looking to purchase an outside antenna this weekend . My rabbit ears only pick up the annalog broadcast right now. My tv does have a digital tuner , and I can pick up channel 14 in digital very well , and 34 in digital with a little fne tuning ,but no channel 7.1 . Thanks.
post #204 of 429 Old 01-21-2009, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Covack View Post

djdons,

We put a antenna down the road from okatoma outdoor
it picked up great, 7,13,14,19,25,34,(digitals) I know that you can't be too far from there
it was a 8 bay Channel master 4228 with a 0064 amp

OK he's about 8 mile's from the transmitter and using a 4228 & 0064 amp
?? something is not right , 350 kW give or take a watt ERP
he should have to ATTENUATE the signal to avoid over-load
I'm 23 miles away and have about 2-3 on a good day , have a DTX9900
converter box and scaned in about 53 channels (sub-channels)2.1thru 49.5
some in LA ,some in AL clear and strong IN the green , someone explain
post #205 of 429 Old 01-24-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONNIE KD5YTE View Post

OK he's about 8 mile's from the transmitter and using a 4228 & 0064 amp
?? something is not right , 350 kW give or take a watt ERP
he should have to ATTENUATE the signal to avoid over-load
I'm 23 miles away and have about 2-3 on a good day , have a DTX9900
converter box and scaned in about 53 channels (sub-channels)2.1thru 49.5
some in LA ,some in AL clear and strong IN the green , someone explain

I think WDAM is currently pumping out a whole 79kW. And they seem vague about when they will get up to 350. I know that over in Marion county WDAM won't ever scan in. I'm currently using an old RS antenna that is in my attic. On a good day i can get NBC out of NO on WDSU. I'm in process of mounting an outside antenna so I can point it toward LA. Shame, cause I've always liked WDAM, but they appear to be willing to let their coverage area shrink to near nothing. Can't see how they are going to sell advertising to business with the footprint they'll have after the switch.
post #206 of 429 Old 01-25-2009, 10:43 AM

No dice on the home brew antenna on you tube here in Seminary. Or could i be doing something wrong here.
post #207 of 429 Old 01-25-2009, 07:19 PM

Does anyone know of an indoors antenna that works well when you're in an apartment situation?
post #208 of 429 Old 01-26-2009, 07:16 PM

Apparently congress will be deciding to delay the switchover till June 12. Will still be trying to get converted over as soon as I can. Most of my co -workers at my job say to keep the Feb date and i would agree with them.
post #209 of 429 Old 01-27-2009, 02:58 PM

I doubt i will ever get wdam in stone county. What really makes me mad is that directv will offer me all the other networks from new york except NBC, although i can receive abc and fox OTA. I have tried numerous times and received many of the white postcards denying me. They say i am close enough to receive it OTA.
post #210 of 429 Old 01-30-2009, 10:56 PM

Ok lets talk antenna system ,
I am a ham radio operator we hams build antennas all the time a good antenna install guide can be found at RadioShack or from the ARRL
but first a few good hints
the best coax you can aford buy the best {belden quad sheild RG6} Learn the spec's and read the lables on the coax it is printed on the cable
shoot for highst sheild percent and lowest loss where you need it at
for UHF TV that would be 520-650 Mhz
the small thing that has the most effect is the BALUN {converts 300ohm's to 75ohm's } most are cheap junk , search for a Channel master balun its worth the time
make sure your connections are clean and tight not over tightened use a rubber boot and rubber tape no Silicone {contains acid will atack aluminum and copper }
route the cable to base of antenna tower or pole and install a Ground block and a 8ft copper clad ground rod per NEC ,and bond it to electrical ground
at the meter ground
route cable in side and allow about 4ft of slack AND cut off any excess cable !! do not coil up a bundle of cable behind the set
run the cable to the power supply for the booster and then run a short cable
also RG6 to the converter box
antennaweb.org go here and enter your address and how high your pole or tower is and you will find a map that shows whre to point your antenna , check with a compass and point it to the target , then rescan for channels on the converter box
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page