AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Local HDTV Info and Reception (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/)
-   -   HDTV in the rain (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-local-hdtv-info-reception/50221-hdtv-rain.html)

dpgreene 05-23-2001 05:56 AM

We had a big rainstorm in Washington last night, and I was surprised to see such poor performance from my over-the-air HD. I use DirecTV for my non-over-the-air material, so I'm used to seeing pixelization in the rain. But last night, I discovered that when watching the three versions I have of NBC (NBC analog over-the-air, NBC-DT over-the-air, and NBC via DirecTV) that I could get perfect reception on analog over the air and EVEN ON DIRECTV -- but that the WRC-DT signal would regularly freeze and pixelate. Are digital signals really this much less reliable in rain/snow? If so, it seems to me that this could be a real problem for adoption. I'm curious to know what others' experiences have been.

dmbatch 05-23-2001 06:03 AM

I think there is something wrong with channel 48 (4.1 NBC). I have been getting the dropouts and pixelation you described for the last 3 days. My signal from them went from being the strongest (98-100) to being very weak and erratic (12-52) on Sunday night, and has been that way ever since.

------------------
Dave B.
ODAT

Kipp Jones 05-23-2001 07:23 AM

No problems here in Chicago with our stormy weather reception. Sounds like a local affiliate signal problem.

------------------
Kipp

dpgreene 05-23-2001 07:53 AM

HD Channels in DC are: NBC, CBS, WETA (PBS) and WHD, which is a demo channel that isn't very active at this point. ABC (WJLA) has a digital channel, but refuses to run anything other than their SD feed (even on HD material like NYPD Blue). Some in this area can get the Baltimore ABC affiliates -- I, unfortunately, cannot.

I don't think any of the local cable companies pass through HD (indeed, I'm not sure that anyone outside of TW NYC does), so your options are over-the-air and satellite.

Trevor L 05-23-2001 08:15 AM

Bill,
you can go to this web site and find out all the info
you need.
http://titantv.com

Trevor

------------------
Stop 5C,HDCP And DFAST. We Killed DIVX, we'll kill this too.

dagman 05-23-2001 08:44 AM

HDTV in the rain?

I don't know . . . ask me 5 months from now. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
(OK we have earthquakes, black-outs, etc. . . but there are some nice things about CA.)

[This message has been edited by dagman (edited 05-23-2001).]

R. Aster 05-23-2001 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dpgreene:
We had a big rainstorm in Washington last night, and I was surprised to see such poor performance from my over-the-air HD.
Hey DP,

The rain certainly has some effect on OTA HDTV -- I tried my Silver Sensor last night for the first time, and for the first time ever got not one but TWO Baltimore stations from my hovel in Rockville. My attic-mounted medium yagi never got a whiff. So I'm happy -- I can see NYHD Blue for the first time ever, and the season finale at that.

And then came the storm. Reception on Baltimore 2-1 went from 55 and solid to 27-33 and rotten. So I had to watch it in crummy SD on crummy WJLA from DC. Grrrrr.

To get B'more from my place, I have to shoot through a heavy mini-forrest of big deciduous trees. Kind of surprising to me that it works even when dry.

Moral, hug a tree, then cut it down. Move to the desert. Pray to the patron saint of communications that Comcast starts to xmit HD on their wonderful fiber network (which provides me with a terrible NTSC signal).

------------------
R. Aster, scanning the forums

Bill 05-24-2001 12:22 AM

I'm about 40 miles from the tower and our last heavy rainstorm did not effect my reception.

------------------

Man E 05-24-2001 06:50 AM

The ultimate effect of transient moisture will vary with each installation and the unique footprint of each storm. Distance, local obstructions, foliage, transmission path obstructions, atmospheric conditions, and transmitter power and height all play a role as well. As long as the attenuation of the signal due to transient moisture does not exceed the FEC floor, you will not notice any picture abberation that is not attributable to the constriction of the data payload. Satellite communications are even more susceptible to these conditions because their wavelengths are closer to the size of rain droplets and are more easily absorbed (which is also why foliage is a bad thing).

------------------
The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!
Our Silent Angels
Please visit The Manny Page!

[This message has been edited by Man E (edited 05-24-2001).]

BruceL 05-24-2001 04:08 PM

Hello Dave B

I have the same problem with NBC (48) - I only started getting decent reception when the leaves filled out the trees. It is always very erratic - I get solid mid 80's on CBS, ABC, Fox & mid 70's to low 80's on PBS (27)with occasional drop outs. Using roof mounted UHF/VHF combo with Winegard pre amp. 48 is very inconsistent. I am located in the Geo. Mason area of Fairfax.

Bruce