When is a private viewing a public viewing? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-03-2001, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was having a few ideas (which I wouldn't be able to do anytime soon, but its good to think ahead). I was pondering on renting out space in a VERY small movie theater once a week or once a month maybe and showing something in HD on the big screen for an HD club.

I started thinking though that it would probably be considered a public display which MOST material says isn't allowed. I started thinking about it though. If I have 10 friends over watching recorded HD material, isn't that the same as if I had 10 friends at a movie theater watching something on a big screen? The only difference is its not at my house.

I don't know how that would look though because of the size and all. Will it look all pixelated, when it gets blown up, or will it be fine? How will it compare to a normal movie print? When they show movies on DLP like they did with Star Wars, and Akira, what is the resolution they are using?

Thanx

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2001, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you plan on charging admission? I am not a copyright attorney but if you don't plan on charging viewers you should have nothing to fear.... But then again

------------------
RJW

RJW
Old 06-04-2001, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Probably not. What I might do if I do have a club is have Club dues which would go to paying for the showing, but not charging admission for people coming in because it would be a private showing for people in the club.

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

Old 06-04-2001, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Oldest hack in the book. Require that each person purchase a rock (no, not The Rock) at the door for $20, or charge $20 for a box of popcorn, or $20 for parking. The movie is free. Seriously, I think you should seek council on this. "They" probably won't come after you, but ya never know...

------------------
The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!
Our Silent Angels
Please visit The Manny Page!

HBO is guilty of Crimes Against Filmanity!

From Paragraph 44 of the 5th Report and Order: We note in this regard that broadcasters and networks have emphasized their commitment to high definition television.

Our Silent Angels Please visit The Manny Page!
Old 06-04-2001, 03:36 PM

Not a lawyer either, but I don't think giving it away for free would protect you at all. Just look at Napster. And if you charge for the viewing, well, that's like charging for the beer at the Frat party, instead of charging for rock (I like Man E's idea above). Just make sure it's not an endangered rock covered by some Protection Agency, or taxed by the Govmt... Speaking of that, don't forget to claim the proceeds/loss on your taxes, or you'll need a Tax-Evasion lawyer.

I would think the litmus test would be whether the viewing was "open to the public" or not. Make it invite-only. If I can walk in off-the-street, whether I pay or not, and view the feature, isn't that "viewing in/by [the] public"?