HD worth the $? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-05-2001, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A lot of people see HD and like it but the balk at the cost. Yes, it is expensive . . . but not way out of line, IMHO. I don't understand why people will spend tens of thousands on their cars but only $300 or so on a TV. Since the average American spends far more time in front of their TV than in their car, you'd think they would be willing to spend $2K to make the TV experience much more pleasurable. So, if anyone criticizes the $ you spent on your HDTV set-up, point out how they fail value their entertainment hours by having such a cheap TV set. If they spent just a little less on their car, they could have had a better experience during those thousands of hours they spend in front of the TV.

Just a decent HDTV rationalization.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-05-2001, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
this is precisely why I spent $15k on my bed. $1k for the mattress. $14k for the cupholders. Well, you spend a third of your life there...

If your wife tries to use this logic and demands more than 50% of the cash because your with her more than 50% of the time, just tell her you can fix that. hehe Or you can base it on a percentage of her full attention if you know what I mean.

not trying to offend any women here, are there any here?, but the wife facter seams to play a tremendous role in justifying/weighing costs of AV equipment.

[This message has been edited by Tryg (edited 06-05-2001).]
post #3 of 14 Old 06-05-2001, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
It is very unlikey that someone will run a traffic light and smash into my TV, and if they did, the quality of the TV would not save my butt.
If my TV breaks down, I won't be out of a job.
If you have a TV but not a car, you probably don't have a wife.

:-)
post #4 of 14 Old 06-05-2001, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I suppose it depends upon whether one is giving up something else. The dollar cost means nothing. Some people spend $250k on a car that does not get them anywhere that a $15k would not. They just have the ability to buy the expensive one and the appreciation of it. Art
post #5 of 14 Old 06-05-2001, 05:49 PM

listen up kiddies...

1) put $3000 on the floor and a HDTV next to it. which one is mor fun 2 watch?
2) U havnt lerned anything from AVS!!!!

3) U havnt lerned anything from the bra!

4) what is HDTV(TM)? hehe

5) what is money?
post #6 of 14 Old 06-05-2001, 06:23 PM

dagman, it's easier to pick up chicks with a fancy car, than with a fancy TV (I know, life's unfair).

It's hard to justify the fancy TV in lieu of the fancy car, if your significant other likes to be taken out to the movie theaters every Friday night, to show off his/her fancy clothes, makeup, and jewelry. Have you SEEN how many people still visit those archaic temples of worship (theaters)? There's got to be ALOT of showing off going on, IMHO. Or is their popcorn all that great?

So to have the significant other AND the fancy TV, he/she must also prefer to show off in front of YOU instead of the rest of the world. I think there's a lot of people who don't have that luxury.
post #7 of 14 Old 06-05-2001, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ah . . . all good points . . . let me address them:

Tryg: Well, there is a concept of diminishing returns. There probably isn't much different between a $2k bed and a $15K bed. But there is a hell of a difference between a $300 27" NTSC TV and a $1700 50" RPTV HDTV.

Swampfox: I actually did ride my bike to work today, but I do have a car. A $25K car will get you to work just as well as $27K car. It is all a matter of perspective . . . I just think that extra $2K is better spent on a TV that I spend more hours in front of. (And I don't watch all that much TV . . . maybe an hour a day, but my commute is only about 5 miles.)

Art: Exactly. And many of those people with the $250K car are watching a $400 TV. Go Figure.

'Bra: I won't even try to argue with your or your evil twin. Or are you the evil one? I forget.

dboyko: Lemme tell ya sumptin'. You don't want those chicks that you can pick up with a fancy car. Trust me on this one. Been there, done that. Even if you can handle them, you'll have a serious WAF problem and you won't be able to put up 2 dishes and a big ole Yagi.

post #8 of 14 Old 06-06-2001, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Dagman,

You right. I want the big fancy TV and the fancy car!
post #9 of 14 Old 06-06-2001, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
post #10 of 14 Old 06-06-2001, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Dagman,

I'm with you but everyone has different priorities. I've used this reasoning with a lot of people but it rarely seems to fly. Thankfully it's a free country or the majority would have us driving expensive cars and not owning an HDTV. My father-in-law wonders why I don't have a more expensive car rather than the HDTV/home theater. It's an ego thing (and ego appealing advertising brainwashing, they out to use it to advertise HDTVs).

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 06-07-2001).]
post #11 of 14 Old 06-06-2001, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Bill,

I must disagree. While I think a car has more ego appeal, I have only had a small few who thought my setup was crazy while the vast majority were in fact either quite impressed and/or jealous. That to me says "ego".

Myself, I bought the car before the TV http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

jake

jake
post #12 of 14 Old 06-06-2001, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
jakehall,

I did not buy my HDTV to impress anyone and if no one ever saw it but my family it wouldn't matter to me. To be jealous of an HDTV which can be purchased for a song compared to an expensive car (which one would have to buy to impress people- me not being one of them) doesn't make sense. Did those that were impressed/jealous buy one of their own? They'd probably rather put that money towards a car.

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited 06-06-2001).]
post #13 of 14 Old 06-07-2001, 06:48 PM

brodmanbr is as real as a three dollar bill! There is only one true ruler of the universe. RODMANBRA!

This feme impersonator should STOP stealing my patented lines such as "listen up kiddies"!

The sad truth is that Mr or misses br is actually an employee of WFOR, Maimi CBS!!
post #14 of 14 Old 06-07-2001, 08:35 PM

Bra, and panties in a bind?

I hated when you did this a kid..mom giv bra a thumpin. hehe!!

1) imitation is the sincerest form of flatttery.

2) WFOR? ... for fun(TM)

3) you can still b ruler, but only on Tues-Thurs.

Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page