What do you think will surpass HD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-03-2001, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My friend and I were having a discussion last week about HD and what could possibly come next. As clear as the picture is, it can't get too much better then that without whatever your looking at being REAL. Maybe the next step after HD will be going towards 3D and away from a 2D picture. Not that this will happen any time soon of course, but its just a thought.

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!!!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-04-2001, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Chap,

Our NTSC TV system is over 50 years old. By the time it finally expires, it will be over 60 years old.

When the change to Color TV came about their were approx. 10 channels to change from B&W to Color.

Now there are over 200 channels, all which eventually will change from NTSC to HDTV.

I would suspect that it will be another 50 years before we see the next step in television advance...which will probably be 1080P as opposed to 720P/1080i.

Lee
post #3 of 13 Old 06-04-2001, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

The Great Carsone predicts that "Holographic" projections will be the next big step. It will require a large, 3D viewing area, but the results will be fantastic. You could be in the middle of the Colosseum standing right next to Russell Crowe while watching Gladiator.http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

------------------
Dave B.
ODAT

Dave B.
post #4 of 13 Old 06-04-2001, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Aw man . . . HDTV isn't even a sure thing yet. Though I find the prospect highly unlikely (and quite objectionable) there are those that think HDTV is dead. At *worst*, ATSC is dead but HDTV will eventually catch on. (I think ATSC will slowly catch on . . . )
post #5 of 13 Old 06-05-2001, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I would suspect that it will be another 50 years before we see the next step in television advance...
I realize that what ever the next step is, that it will be a major undertaking. By then I'm sure we will have 1000's of stations to convert. As for his time line I think it is not at all accurate. Look at the speed that technology changes today, it is an exponential growth curve, and it’s getting stepper. Just imagine what could be done if even the cheapest component you could buy had 10Ghz of computing power? If I had to bet on when we change HD to whatever comes next I would say it will be around 2020. Of course even if the technology is ready will the politicians be?
post #6 of 13 Old 06-05-2001, 01:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

I agree with "The Great Carsone", the next major step in home theater will be holographic imaging. Just stop by DisneyWorld for a preview. As for the means of signal distribution, I would doubt it will be OTA unless by satellite. I think by then, the country will be 'wired' with enough bandwidth that the OTA will not be necessary for a small amount of 'free' services. (Hopefully we will still not have to pay for basic network programming). Satellite would likely be used for mobile platforms. This is not going to happen in the next 10-20 years. During that time frame you may well see a 1080p if some scheme can be worked out backwards compatible with the new DTV standards, much as color was brought in on the old black and white standards. Fun topic to think about!

------------------
jm in Boulder

John M
post #7 of 13 Old 06-05-2001, 09:22 PM
tji
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
How about this: http://biz.yahoo.com/st/010605/26916.html (link recently on Slashdot) Extremely high density display, 9 Million pixels, 4x 1080i.

But, that would just be an evolutionary change.. Ultra Hi-Res, content delivered by a big internet pipe, 100Mbps video stream.

Whatever the next big thing is, it will likely be Internet delivered.. Out of reach from all the FCC regulations.
post #8 of 13 Old 06-08-2001, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Though I'm waiting for direct connect. Everyone gets an implanted wireless broadband connection in their head.

"Straight to the optic, audio, and pleasure centers!" (advertisement)
The computer virus writers would have a field day with this one. How about a virus that stimulates the pain centers of the brain? Or one that simply erases all of your memories? I think I'll pass on that implant. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
James

DVI/HDCP and DFAST are Pure Concentrated Evil!

Alkettory
post #9 of 13 Old 06-08-2001, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The computer virus writers would have a field day with this one. How about a virus that stimulates the pain centers of the brain? Or one that simply erases all of your memories? I think I'll pass on that implant. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif
Or, how about a virus that gives you a terrific headache, runny nose, and sinus pressure? Oh wait, I've already got one of those http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

jake

[This message has been edited by jakehall (edited 06-08-2001).]

jake
post #10 of 13 Old 06-08-2001, 09:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 134
At first I wanted to say 3D but that has been done in movies and on TV and is still not all that popular, even in theaters.
So, I beleive the next major paradigm shift in TV is the true seamless integration of bidirectional TV, ie one in which you can pick and choose your programming at will from the entire database of existence. Simply say out loud, TV, bring up, Gone With The Wind, or GhostBusters and the home theater system will simply go to the database via satellite or cable and begin to play that movie. Or, you could say, TV bring up the list of Star Trek movies and then select the ones you want to watch in succession for the evening, including HDTV if available. All this for your choice of either PPV or monthly subscription to genre's of databases.
You could even take this to Sports. Simply say, TV, Please timeshift the Superbowl from 1998 to tonight at 7PM. You could get this instant replay of that event when you want.

The technology is here today, just that it is not yet widely implemented at this time. Companies like SeaChange and Hewlett Packard will be making all this possible. The only link needed is an internet integration for ordering up and then a way to bill it. The voice recognition technology is also here but not yet integrated into your TV and Home Theater, except for some nerds who have tried this on an experimental basis with their HTPC's.

All this, I see hapening as a result of marrying the different emerging existing technologies in one center

3D, Holodecks, etc. ? No, not in my lifetime. Might as well wish for direct brain implant of the memory of having have seen the movie.

Interactive TV is another and this is already being done on CD game roms. The video changes as you play the game. You could have games on broadcast TV the same way once high speed internet is a reality everywhere.

------------------
Don Landis
Home Theater Pics at: www.scubatech.com Last updated 3/25/01

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don Landis
post #11 of 13 Old 06-08-2001, 09:32 PM

I think what needs to happen is that new homes come equipped with a "multimedia family/great room." The new home theatre/internet/wireless/networking facilities would be centered in this room.

There's plenty of economic incentive for contruction workers, electronics suppliers, and software publishers to get involved in this business.

I can't see the new technologies getting established in homes that are still furnished for the last millenium's needs.

------------------
Stan Z

Stan Z
post #12 of 13 Old 06-08-2001, 09:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I think what needs to happen is that new homes come equipped with a "multimedia family/great room." The new home theatre/internet/wireless/networking facilities would be centered in this room
The death of fireplaces as we know them. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Though I'm waiting for direct connect. Everyone gets an implanted wireless broadband connection in their head.

"Straight to the optic, audio, and pleasure centers!" (advertisement)

- Tom

------------------
Getting started:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links .

Why don't we power our electric cars from greener, cheaper
?

Tom Barry - Find my video filters at
post #13 of 13 Old 06-11-2001, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
anybody remember the honeymooners, when alice wanted to buy a television, ralph said "I'm waiting for 3d tv"

------------------

Alex

Alex
Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page