Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-12-2001, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
This fall, if all goes as planned, Ottawa's television stations will begin to share a single digital-television transmitter in Manotick, broadcasting high-definition television versions of everything from E.R. to Monday Night Football.

So if Canada gets E.R. and MNF in HD surely we will right? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Well this is good news, may be the Canadian broadcasters will jump on the HD bandwagon more quickly than the broadcasters here.

------------------
Marque Dailey

[This message has been edited by marque1d (edited 06-12-2001).]

Marque Dailey
post #3 of 9 Old 06-12-2001, 12:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

I would assume the MNF reference is a hypothetical, since no one at ABC has announced that MNF will be in HD. I doubt that the Ottawa Citizen has a scoop here. It is sure a nice thought though. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif

------------------
jm in Boulder

[This message has been edited by JMartinko (edited 06-12-2001).]

John M
post #4 of 9 Old 06-15-2001, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Randall Paris Dark:
Go take a look at todays Ottawa Citizen
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/enterta...2/5018706.html
There is a new PCMCIA DVB card from Plain Digital (plaindigital.com) that will premiere in Toronto next month. It will be interesting to see the Canadian Broadcasters reaction to a mobile receiver that will probably retail for $300.00 or less in US $.

post #5 of 9 Old 06-16-2001, 12:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Yep. Finally.

Now I can start to enjoy HDTV this summer. Although I'm not sure if it is going to be closed captioned.

------------------
Thanks,
Mark Rejhon
www.marky.com/hometheater
Lead Software Engineer for The TAW ROCK

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

www.BlurBusters.com

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

Rooting for upcoming low-persistence rolling-scan OLEDs too!

post #6 of 9 Old 06-16-2001, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We have a real problem in DTV here in Canada and it's three pronged:

1) No broadcasters are equipped for digital. The government run CBC is running on a shoestring budget (and the shoestring is frayed at the ends). Heck, the CBC didn't even switch on analog MTS (stereo audio) until December 2000 here in the nation's capital city. They barely have enough money to keep their ancient equipment working. Commercial broadcasters in Canada are notorioulsy [i]cheap[\\i], and will not invest a penny in DTV unless they know it will make them a lot of money. The business case just isn't there, and unlike the U.S., there isn't a government body forcing the transition to digital. The test transmitters were assembled using mainly donated money and equipment. If it's so difficult getting funding for just one DTV transmitter in Toronto (Canada's largest city), where's all the money going to come from for 15 stations to get equipped? Besides, who's going to watch DTV? See my next point.
2) There isn't a single DTV OTA STB for sale in Canada. Sure, you can buy an STB in the U.S. and import it, like I did. ExpressVu does offer the Echostar model 6000, but the 8VSB OTA tuner isn't available, and I doubt ExpressVu will update the software necessary to enable the tuner. StarChoice offers an add-on box (HDD-201) but that only works on programming originating on satellite.
3) Canada is one of the most "cabled" countries (over 80%). Unless DTV is embraced by the cable companies (and Ted Rogers has pubicly stated that DTV is low priority) there is a problem.

Recently, I was helping a friend install a satellite system in his home. Local TV stations are not carried on this system, so I suggested getting an antenna. The reaction was "is TV even available off air anymore - I thought it wasn't. Even if it is, I don't want to go back to the 1960s by putting up an antenna". This is a very common attitude in these parts.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-18-2001, 05:21 PM

Well, I bet Bell Expressvue within 2 years will
broadcast the Stanley CUP in HDTV. I was at the ACC
during the Toronto/NJ playoffs and asked one of the CBC
camera men when it might happen. He said "soon."
post #8 of 9 Old 06-18-2001, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
There is a new PCMCIA DVB card from Plain Digital (plaindigital.com) that will premiere in Toronto next month. It will be interesting to see the Canadian Broadcasters reaction to a mobile receiver that will probably retail for $300.00 or less in US $.
Bob,
Come on man, pimping COFDM again?! How many new profiles is that for you in the last six months? Seriously, just grab a beer like the rest of us http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif and either enjoy the DTV signals you can receive or bitch about the broadcasters/cable companies that aren't doing their job. Everyone here either loves HDTV or lusts after it, but could you please write a thread without mentioning the evil European broadcast format?
JIm

------------------
Let me get this straight, this show is hi-def and 5.1, but my local affiliate makes it crappy NTSC and mono?!

Free over the air HDTV + Tivo HD + Netflix for Blu-ray and streaming = Bliss
post #9 of 9 Old 06-18-2001, 08:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

moderator hat on...

I am going to let Bob's post stand, even though it has nothing to do with HDTV. It is true he has posted here before as both Robmx & Rotary.

I am going to let JimboG's post stand to indicate the Forum's general feeling regarding Bob's previous posting habits.

I will not let this, or any other post evolve into a discussion of CODFM. If anyone insists on this, they do so at the risk of censure or worse.

------------------
"better living thru modern expensive electronics"
tm

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Closed Thread Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page