Chicago, IL - WOW - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #481 of 894 Old 01-03-2008, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What I find most frustrating is their of communication to their customers. Overall i find their product very good, but the fact that we have to hunt through forums to find any information is quite sad. If you had not read any forums you would have no idea that some new HD should be coming later this week (hopefully) - very frustrating as a consumer when competition does communicate to their customers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 894 Old 01-03-2008, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsa4 View Post

Better than no additions at all and a good start to the year - hopefully there will be more to come

Agreed! This is actually a great addition for us HD fans. They have some nice programming on these channels. I wish they would have added a sports channel though such as Big Ten HD or NBA HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmps View Post

In the new Consumer Reports WOW is listed as second only to Verizon FIOS for customer satisfaction. Overall, I would say that they are being responsive with issues as evidenced with the fixes to quality issues we have discussed here. However, as we have been discussing; how they deal with expanding HD will weigh in more and more on customer satisfaction. I wonder how many of their customers got a HDTV for XMas?

Yeah, WOW is pretty good at that, but the HD additions this year will be key. By spring time and summer time they will have to add even more HD to keep up with other providers. By the way, I wish Verizon FIOS was in the Chicago area. I heard great things about them. They do not compress any of their HD channels where most other providers do. I'm not sure if WOW compresses them or not.

Quote:

What I find most frustrating is their of communication to their customers. Overall i find their product very good, but the fact that we have to hunt through forums to find any information is quite sad. If you had not read any forums you would have no idea that some new HD should be coming later this week (hopefully) - very frustrating as a consumer when competition does communicate to their customers

Very true! If it wasn't for this thread here on AVS and the thread on dslreports, we would have no idea whats going on. I don't understand why WOW didn't send out a flyer or a notice on the bills they send out that they were adding new HD channels. Most likely people will come across them, but for the people who do not have the HD Pak may never know about the HD channel additions.
post #483 of 894 Old 01-04-2008, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

The new HD channels are now on here in Chicago! We have 4 new HD channels. You can find these channels on 225, 226, 227, and 228.

225 - Discovery HD
226 - Animal Planet HD
227 - TLC HD
228 - National Geographic HD

There has also been 1 standard channel that was added. This channel is the Military channel and can be found on channel 331.

Not bad at all! I viewed some of it already, but a lot of it was paid programming. I plan on checking more of it out tomorrow. I am sure they will air some good stuff during the daytime hours.
post #484 of 894 Old 01-04-2008, 08:41 AM

Those are with HDPaks, correct ?
post #485 of 894 Old 01-04-2008, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by houman View Post

Those are with HDPaks, correct ?

Actually, only 1 of the 4 HD channels that were added are a part of the HD Pak. Discovery HD, Animal Planet HD and TLC HD are in the Basic package while National Geographic HD is in the HD Pak. Here is an updated breakdown.

High Definition (included in Basic)
200 - ABCHD
201 - CBSHD
202 - FOXHD
203 - NBCHD
204 - MyNetworkTV HD
205 - PBSHD
206 - The CW HD
209 - TNT HD
211 - ESPN HD
218 - A&E HD
220 - Comcast SportsNet HD
225 - Discovery HD
226 - Animal Planet HD
227 - TLC HD
493 - Starz HD
410 - HBO HD**
449 - SHO HD**
471 - Cinemax HD**
** = must subscribe to premium service

High Definition Pak
210 - HD Theater
212 - HDNet
213 - HDNet Movies
214 - Wealth TV HD
215 - NFL Network HD
216 - HGTV HD
217 - Food Network HD
228 - National Geographic HD
post #486 of 894 Old 01-04-2008, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I was a little disappointed so far. On Animal Planet and Discovery there were showing high def programming, but it looked upconverted. Also, there was bars on the side of the screen, but very small and enough to make a difference. I guess its just those particular shows that are like that. I am sure there is some "full screen" programming that we have yet to see.
post #487 of 894 Old 01-04-2008, 05:22 PM

Thank you.

so TNT HD and ESPN HD were added to regular lineup ... maybe it's time I drop HDPak then...

I picked all those 4 as I saw them tonight when I got home, but I don't get any scheduled information yet (even with cable cards)
post #488 of 894 Old 01-04-2008, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you.

so TNT HD and ESPN HD were added to regular lineup ... maybe it's time I drop HDPak then...

I picked all those 4 as I saw them tonight when I got home, but I don't get any scheduled information yet (even with cable cards)

Yes, the only channel that was added to the HD Pak was National Geographic HD. ESPN and TNT were dropped from the HD Pak and put into basic. The only thing worth the HD Pak right now to me is HD Theater. They should add some more channels to the HD Pak.
post #489 of 894 Old 01-06-2008, 02:31 PM

Just ran a channel scan, and I'm not seeing the new channels.....must need digital. still getting 200-206 though, as well as 399 and all the music channels
post #490 of 894 Old 01-06-2008, 03:45 PM

I do not see guide information for these, I checked tvguide.com and nothing either, I think they might be still testing them. Hope to get some tivo guide soon for them.
post #491 of 894 Old 01-06-2008, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leppell View Post

Just ran a channel scan, and I'm not seeing the new channels.....must need digital. still getting 200-206 though, as well as 399 and all the music channels

What service/package do you have through WOW? You will for sure need digital cable (cable box) in order to view these new channels I think. If you have your cable hooked irectly to your TV then you will not be able to see these new channels.

Quote:

I do not see guide information for these, I checked tvguide.com and nothing either, I think they might be still testing them. Hope to get some tivo guide soon for them.

Yeah, it looks like TV Guide does not have the guide updated yet. I think WOW is done with the testing stage. The channels are here to stay now and all the testing is done.
post #492 of 894 Old 01-07-2008, 05:53 AM

I e-mailed a CSR regarding the missing guide data. In addition to missing all of the new channels, they have also deleted the digital counterparts to the analog premiums they just got rid of. This is what I have as missing, not that the PPV's really matter...

225 Discovery HD
226 Animal Planet HD
227 TLC HD
228 NatGeo HD
329 Fox Business
330 Bloomberg
331 Military
346 Tennis Channel
347 Outdoor Channel
402 HBO 2 (East)
404 HBO Sign. (East)
436 SHO Beyond
484 Starz In Black
600 iNDEMAND PPV
633 iNDEMAND PPV
634 iNDEMAND PPV

EDIT: e-mailed Bill yesterday and got a "on it right now" response. From past experience with a Comcast SportsNet line-up problem, they said it would take about 72 hours to hit Tribune Media Services, which provides guide data. Hopefully we will see a change by the weekend...
post #493 of 894 Old 01-10-2008, 05:25 AM

Checking out Zap2it, it looks like they have updated the guide data with all of the new channels, but a couple of the Premiums are still missing from the Chicago City Feed. It looks like Suburbs are ok. I think I am about the only person this affects, but I will follow up with Senor Bill again...

Still missing...

402 HBO 2 (East)
404 HBO Sign. (East)
484 Starz In Black
600 iNDEMAND PPV
post #494 of 894 Old 01-10-2008, 12:42 PM

Hey Foamy, did Bill by any chance have anything to share about what else WOW may have for us this year?
post #495 of 894 Old 01-11-2008, 03:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey Foamy, did Bill by any chance have anything to share about what else WOW may have for us this year?

I'm wondering the same thing myself. It almost has to be positive that WOW will add to the HD lineup since Comcast will be making some major break throughs this year. I talked to someone from WOW today because they came into my work and I asked him about HD expansion and he said he doesn't get any information on it. It would be nice if WOW gave us a few weeks or 1-2 months notice on new channels they plan on adding.
post #496 of 894 Old 01-11-2008, 06:47 AM

Yes, that would be great - any sort of feedback or any information on anything to look forward to this year - I would think they have to do something, other than add 3 or 4 HD channels with all the expansion the other 3 options are making
post #497 of 894 Old 01-11-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:

Bill is pretty tight lipped. When I talked with him back in December, I am sure they knew about the January channel additions, but he would hardly even commit to the fact that they would add something back to the HD Pak. There seemed to be no possibility of getting specifics from him, as he kept pulling the "in negotiations, can't discuss" card. He seems to be a good resource to help get problems resolved, but as close as he supposedly works with the CEO, I don't think he will ever stray from the company line. His e-mail replies as late have been literally three or four words : "On it right now" and such.

To be honest, they hardly seem to communicate amongst themselves. When I called the regular Customer Service number on Saturday after the new channels appeared sans guide data, the CSR I spoke to in Alabama was unaware of the additions. They knew of the switch for ESPN and TNT, but I had to show her the page on the website that showed the changes. She actually seemed kinda ticked off that they had not told anyone at that location about the changes.

Their policy of "Surprise! New HD" seems a strategic error, especially with Comcast's recent additions. SciFi HD just went live in Chicago, along with a couple others. I am becoming very tempted to switch, possibly temporarily, when BSG starts up in April.
post #498 of 894 Old 01-11-2008, 08:19 AM

I guess the question is how much time do you give them before starting to look into other options

Excuse my stupidity, what is BSG?
post #499 of 894 Old 01-11-2008, 09:09 AM

Foamy,

I checked last night and the guides are in for those 4 channels on Tivo. Too bad I can't see Planet Earth on Discovery HD.

-Houman
post #500 of 894 Old 01-11-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:

I guess the question is how much time do you give them before starting to look into other options

Excuse my stupidity, what is BSG?

No stupidity involved, it is just my inner nerd coming out. BSG -> Battlestar Galactica. I was initially skeptical, but it is really a well written, well acted show. Nothing like the 70's version...

Quote:

Foamy,

I checked last night and the guides are in for those 4 channels on Tivo. Too bad I can't see Planet Earth on Discovery HD.

-Houman

The four channels were correct in the burbs, only missing from the City feed (don't know if it will show up correctly if you already have a cookie from Zap2it...). I don't watch those four very much..I am just happy that the new HD's are finally showing up.
post #501 of 894 Old 01-11-2008, 11:48 AM

Does anyone know if the HD channels that are now part of the regular digital lineup (CSN, ESPN, TNT, Discovery, etc) are available with Digital Value or do you have to purchase Digital Basic to receive them?
post #502 of 894 Old 01-11-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo2896 View Post

Does anyone know if the HD channels that are now part of the regular digital lineup (CSN, ESPN, TNT, Discovery, etc) are available with Digital Value or do you have to purchase Digital Basic to receive them?

I thought I saw on one of your earlier posts that you had a TivoHD. The limiting factor in that set-up is that they will not issue a cable card with Digital Value. You have to subscribe to Digital Basic for the Cable Card. Whether or not you can pay extra for an HD receiver with Digital Value and still get those channels, I do not know.
post #503 of 894 Old 01-11-2008, 12:58 PM

Thanks. Yeah, I do have a TivoHD, so I would need cable cards. I guess that makes my question moot.
post #504 of 894 Old 01-11-2008, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

As far as the HD Pak, I believe WOW should add more channels into it. After all, a lot of us have been paying $9.99 extra a month and were still 1 channel less than what we were last year and still paying the same amount while the people who do not have the HD Pak have been given quite a few more HD channels (of course HD Pak users can see them too, but were paying extra and not getting much from the HD Pak).
post #505 of 894 Old 01-11-2008, 02:44 PM

Yeah Definitely you need Cable Cards + Digital Basic... I guess they do NOT send those via QAM unencrypted methods for other channels.

And I agree HD Pak is abysmal.
post #506 of 894 Old 01-13-2008, 02:31 PM

Hi,

My friend down the street just got a Panasonic TH-50PX75U (built in QAM tuner). He has the same Basic WOW service as I and just has a direct cable connection from the wall to his TV just like I do. When he does a channel scan, he only gets the NBC HD channel 203 and nothing else (no 200, 201, etc. and none of the digital music channels like I do). We did several scans with the same results. His signal he is getting is definetly weak and looks a lot grainier than mine does. I put a good Viewsonics cable amp on there but as expected, it didn't make any difference.

Would a weak signal cause the TV not to catch the HD channels in a scan? I don't know if 203 has the strongest signal and if that is why he is getting that one.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kevin
post #507 of 894 Old 01-13-2008, 06:39 PM

I had a weak signal problem with my service as well. I could only get some of the HD channels on my Panasonic. WOW came out and replaced the cable into our house and after that we had reception on all the HD channels.
post #508 of 894 Old 01-13-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmps View Post

I had a weak signal problem with my service as well. I could only get some of the HD channels on my Panasonic. WOW came out and replaced the cable into our house and after that we had reception on all the HD channels.

Good to know. Thanks for the info!!!!!
post #509 of 894 Old 01-14-2008, 03:49 PM

Does WOW in Chicago provide M-cards? I have a new TivoHD and it can take either 2 S-cards or a single M-card. I know Comcast offers the M-card.

Much thanks
post #510 of 894 Old 01-14-2008, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I just read an article that the Travel Channel has launched its HD channel. I don't think any networks have this yet, but its one of the most anticipated HD channels for this year. I am going to request this to WOW. If you are interested in it, you should request it too. So, please request this to WOW. The more requests, the better chance we have at getting the channel.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page