Chicago, IL - WOW - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 894 Old 08-19-2010, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone who is interested in seeing The Club but hasn't been able to because WOW doesn't carry MLB Network, Comcast Sportsnet is rerunning it. The schedule can be found here: http://www.csnchicago.com/08/09/10/C...570&feedID=621
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 894 Old 09-29-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinCLovesU View Post

UGH! Wow Cable is screwing with something and it's pissing me off. U-Verse is finally available to my house... I may just switch.

I use CableCard (two of them). As of yesterday, I noticed that some of the basic channels has switched on my HDTV to a digital format. It comes in on the same channel number, and the analog TVs in my house still receive these channels as analog broadcasts. Now this seems like an exciting technology (because even the SD digitals look decent) but it doesn't work right. My absolute most watched channel, CNN, is near impossible to tune in. Sometimes I tune to it and it's just a black screen. Other times it plays for a couple seconds and then black screens. Occasionally (often after watching another channel for while) it will play, but the black screen problem returns if I change the channel. I'm wondering if this might even be switched digital video (which wouldn't work properly on my 1-way CableCard equipment).

It's really irksome. I have to unplug my CableCard or go to an analog TV to watch CNN. WOW has given no notice, nor can I find any info on their site about this digital transition (experiment?).

U-Verse is becoming a very attractive option. They even have CNN HD, whereas on Wow the only HD "news" we are allowed is Fox Noise. Does anyone know if my mom can keep her wowway.com email address if we drop the service? She won't let us switch because she is clinging to that address (we've tried numerous times to get her on GMail, with no luck).

Thanks to anyone with more info.

Fault lies with the the cable you r using. Change the cable from wall jack to ur receiver.
I had the same issue when i got a new connection to my other room.
I changed the cable from wall jack to the receiver and it works fine now.
U might wnna try it.
post #873 of 894 Old 10-11-2010, 06:08 AM

Is anyone else having problems with their cable boxes or DVRs? On Sunday my box shut down and gave me the "Not Authorized" message. I used the automated phone system to send a signal out and that worked. But a few hours later both my box and my DVR shut down and said "Not Authorized". This time I went through the signal and then more steps with customer service. Nothing worked. The customer service rep said that she had gotten several calls from the Chicago area last night on the same problem. I can't get a tech out to my house until Friday and as of this morning the boxes are still shut down.
post #874 of 894 Old 01-20-2011, 07:32 PM

Has anyone else noticed that WOW has stopped providing PSIP data that would map their unscrambled QAM channels to virtual channels for digital tuners?

I called their customer service line yesterday and the agent implied that if I was watching those channels without being on a HD plan, that I was stealing cable. When I hinted at the FCCs must carry requirements the response was that I could watch them OTA. I offered to pay for the local HD as an addon to extended basic they told me it couldn't be done without also adding either a digital box or cablecard.

Anyone have a thought, comment, or suggestion?
post #875 of 894 Old 01-21-2011, 04:55 PM

I've run into this PSIP problem before (along with the Customer Service reps not understanding the HD must-carry stuff).

What I normally do is call the number and ask to be connected to their technical folks (or to have a message relayed to the technical folks). I then leave a message that the PSIP information is missing on the HD Broadcast channels. They never call me back, but it magically starts working again within the next day or two.
post #876 of 894 Old 01-22-2011, 06:19 AM

I commented on a similar thread on dslreports. That thread was reposted to WOW's facebook page. The employee that monitors that page and their twitter account followed up with engineering. The channel mappings will be restored early next week.
post #877 of 894 Old 02-10-2011, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Because it looks like my precious SageTV now has a way of getting access to cablecard-delivered, copy-freely content, I contacted WOW about how content is flagged to see if I had a chance of being able to access "basic cable" programs in HD via Sage.
Since I thought this might be useful to others, I figured I would post my question and the response I received (see below)
Of course, there are caveats galore in all of this, but it does look like things will work as one would hope.

Mitch

My question:
If using cablecard to access HD cable channels such as DiscoveryHD or TLC-HD, or HGTV-HD, how are these channels flagged in terms of copy-protection. Specifcally, are they flagged as copy-freely? (Although I would assume premium channels such as HBO would be set as copy-protected, I'm hoping that the "standard" HD cable channels are set for copy-freely. The reason I ask is because the cable-card compatible device I have only supports copy-freely content.

Here is the response:
Most content would be set to copy-freely unless the specific broadcaster chooses to change it for that program. Generally this is how most if not all content for any cable provider would work. For more specific information I would recommend contacting the specific channels in question, as they would be making the final decision.
post #878 of 894 Old 02-24-2011, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The Wow new WOW! Digital Transition line up lacks CSN + HD

https://www.wowdigitaladapter.com/Di...nSchedule.aspx

yet they added FSN + HD in the detroit area pre Digital Transition.
post #879 of 894 Old 02-25-2011, 10:29 AM

For the record, these are the new HD channels they are adding after the transition to all digital is complete:

May 18, 2011
221 Big Ten Network HD
239 Spike TV HD
240 ESPN U HD
242 iN Demand HD
244 CNBC HD
252 Headline News HD
259 PBS Kids Sprout HD
264 Travel Channel HD
265 Game Show Network HD
272 Hallmark Channel HD
274 Lifetime HD
280 Comedy Central HD
282 MTV HD
286 Telemundo HD
495 Starz Comedy HD
496 Starz Edge HD
497 Starz In Black HD
498 Starz Kids & Family HD
499 Encore East HD

June 8, 2011
223 Golf Channel HD (suburbs only)
238 Turner Classic Movies HD
241 ESPNews HD
257 Disney XD HD
258 Nickelodeon HD
268 Cooking Channel HD
273 Oxygen HD
275 Lifetime Movie Network HD
283 VH1 HD
285 BET HD
413 HBO 2 East HD
414 HBO Signature East HD
417 HBO Zone East HD
452 Showtime 2 East HD
453 Showtime Showcase HD
455 Showtime Extreme HD

June 29, 2011
237 Fox Movie Channel HD
250 C-SPAN HD
251 Fox Business HD
256 Cartoon Network HD
266 Nat Geo Wild HD
267 BIO HD
269 DIY HD
276 HSN HD
277 QVC HD
278 History International HD
279 tru TV HD
281 G4 HD
284 CMT HD
439 The Movie Channel East HD
459 MoreMAX East HD

Many I'll never watch, but a few good one's in there. Keep 'em coming!
post #880 of 894 Old 02-25-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe The Dragon View Post

The Wow new WOW! Digital Transition line up lacks CSN + HD

https://www.wowdigitaladapter.com/Di...nSchedule.aspx

yet they added FSN + HD in the detroit area pre Digital Transition.

Maybe they'll use one of the new HD channels since they don't have a dedicated channel for CNS+? Fingers crossed. Not a huge deal, but it does suck watching the occasional Hawks game in SD.
post #881 of 894 Old 02-25-2011, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankScorpio83 View Post

For the record, these are the new HD channels they are adding after the transition to all digital is complete:

Maybe I missed a memo, but when you say "the transition to all digital is complete," what does that mean exactly?
Is analog (i.e. basic cable) going away?
Will the "standard" cable HD channels be sent in clear QAM? Or will this require getting a cable box (or cable card) to watch anything from WOW (except perhaps the local broadcast channels)?

Mitch
post #882 of 894 Old 02-27-2011, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G View Post
Maybe I missed a memo, but when you say "the transition to all digital is complete," what does that mean exactly?
Is analog (i.e. basic cable) going away?
Will the "standard" cable HD channels be sent in clear QAM? Or will this require getting a cable box (or cable card) to watch anything from WOW (except perhaps the local broadcast channels)?

Mitch
Yes, they are converting to all digital, so no more analog channels. From the FAQ page, it seems like you will need some type of digital box from WOW or a cable card: https://www.wowdigitaladapter.com/FAQ.aspx
post #883 of 894 Old 02-27-2011, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Crap. :\\
I hadn't planned on transitioning to cablecard this soon.

Mitch
post #884 of 894 Old 03-16-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankScorpio83 View Post
Maybe they'll use one of the new HD channels since they don't have a dedicated channel for CNS+? Fingers crossed. Not a huge deal, but it does suck watching the occasional Hawks game in SD.
Not a big deal I dumped WOW 2-3 years ago in part of the lack of CSN + HD and lack of VS at all.
post #885 of 894 Old 03-23-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe The Dragon View Post

Not a big deal I dumped WOW 2-3 years ago in part of the lack of CSN + HD and lack of VS at all.

Joe, who did you switch to? Are you happier?
post #886 of 894 Old 04-01-2011, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Good news
The basic cable channels - essentially the channels you are getting analog today will be delivered over clear QAM and not require any dta or other settop box if your tv has a QAM tuner
They won't be the hd versions if the channels - but they aren't now either.

From what I've read this change was made due to customer input and re- affirms why I like wow so much
They see their customers as partners and not as simply sources of money

Mitch
post #887 of 894 Old 05-24-2011, 09:56 PM

I'm no longer receiving non-local channels via WOW analog channels. Have these already been disabled in the move to digital?

Anybody else seeing this in Chicago? I can still get local channels in analog, but nothing else...
post #888 of 894 Old 05-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G View Post

Good news
The basic cable channels - essentially the channels you are getting analog today will be delivered over clear QAM and not require any dta or other settop box if your tv has a QAM tuner
They won't be the hd versions if the channels - but they aren't now either.

From what I've read this change was made due to customer input and re- affirms why I like wow so much
They see their customers as partners and not as simply sources of money

Mitch

I can confirm the same in SE MI/Detroit area.

This is exactly why I switched from ComShaft to WoW over 10 years ago, the day WoW came to our area!

WoW actually did THE RIGHT THING- all the analog cable channels are now ClearQAM SD Digital! This means my Panasonic DVD Recorder decks will still function, as well as my QAM equipped MythTV boxen! (Linux Media Center/PVR).

Seeing how Comcast shafted users by encrypting everything (SD and HD digital) after their analog-digital switchover in this area a year or two ago, even when the analog SD basic was unscrambled, WoW took the High Road.

During the transition, most of my 80+ basic cable channels (HGTV, Food, AMC, HIST, etc) are available in both analog and SD Digital, so I can compare the two. The SD digital is sharper, no analog noise and better colors, so other than some digital compression artifacts (varies by channel and content), the picture is an improvement (again, comparing SD-SD analog to digital, apples-apples).

So, I got a net gain out of the deal, with the ability to use my set top DVD recorders (built in QAM tuners, Panny 485EZ decks) and PC Media Centers, no box rentals.

I am a happy camper.

I would have canceled and gone OTA antenna if they had Comshafted us.
post #889 of 894 Old 05-29-2011, 06:27 PM
Rgb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbestor View Post

I'm no longer receiving non-local channels via WOW analog channels. Have these already been disabled in the move to digital?

Anybody else seeing this in Chicago? I can still get local channels in analog, but nothing else...

DO a channel scan on your TV/tuner to pick up the new channel assignments.
post #890 of 894 Old 08-02-2011, 06:04 AM

Just wondering if anyone else with a TiVo Series 3 has been experiencing any stuttering issues, where the picture freezes for a second or so every few minutes. I initially saw a thread on DSLForums and did not see the problem. Then, last night watching Comcast Sportsnet, it got pretty bad, happening every few minutes. I saw it briefly on a couple other channels.

As there is a WOW employee posting on that thread, please post a reply over there if you are seeing the same issue. They are aware of the problem, but the more info they have the better.

thanks
post #891 of 894 Old 09-17-2011, 04:34 AM

Anyone in Chicago using WOW and using a HTPC DVR setup via cablecard?
What tuner card are you using and can it tune and record to the extended channels like Disney or Syfy?

Would like to hear about your experiences as I am thinking of going this route.
post #892 of 894 Old 09-17-2011, 07:39 AM

Not sure what you mean by HTPC, but I'm using a TiVo Series 3 DVR with CableCARDs on WOW in Naperville, and it tunes the extended channels like SyFy very well. (I just watched a recorded episode of Alphas just a few minutes ago.)

I love my TiVo. I don't think I can ever go back to a non-TiVo DVR. I'm also very happy with WOW, especially with the new HD channels that were added this summer.
post #893 of 894 Old 12-30-2011, 06:24 AM

I've seen some information stating that WOW has started making some 3D movies available via their On Demand service. Has anyone tried this? I'd like to see some 3D content made available, but can't justify paying the price of a premium On-Demand movie. I wonder if they will be adding any 3D channels (e.g. ESPN 3D) in the future.
post #894 of 894 Old 12-30-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtF View Post

I've seen some information stating that WOW has started making some 3D movies available via their On Demand service. Has anyone tried this? I'd like to see some 3D content made available, but can't justify paying the price of a premium On-Demand movie. I wonder if they will be adding any 3D channels (e.g. ESPN 3D) in the future.

if they can add 3D why not also add CSN + HD (it's only a part time over flow)
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page